Midnight Snack

Korea Journal
 
 
 
    I was walking around in my apartment saying, "Ottokee" in a way too dramatically and could not know how to respond his message. I was shaking my phone with my hand and trying to find the best message to send. But how could he be so direct? He's not like an usual Korean. 
"Aiishh." I scratched my head and sit on the couch harshly. It's been two days since we've met but that day was friday and today was sunday. So, could not have any chance to not respond to his message. 
Okay, stay still Min. It's not that hard. Just a simple message… But I kept talking with my friend about this and she was telling me to reply it immediately. Okay at last I was typing. His message was 'Would you like to come to an exhibition after school?' . I know it is a very simple message but I barely knew him and I have a family which kept me in blankets safely. So, I said yes. Officially, I replied him and stood like that for a moment. He sent me a sticker cheerful and I sent something like that to him. But I accidentally pressed on a vomiting sticker. So, I apologized for that. He said that it was okay and wished me a good night. I said the same and locked my phone then left it on the table. I got up and started to walk around and thought about what should I bring with me. A spray? Maybe a stick? Or some sharp pen? No, knife will do. Oh God… 
Suddenly I felt a heavy uncomfortable thing between my lungs and coughed unintentionally. While I was coughing I was squeezing the chair and held my head up to breathe more. I was feeling a little excited and a little fired up. 
"No no no no no!" I said and shook my head and headed to the bathroom. I took a hot shower and when I came out I heard my phone ringing. I answered the call without looking at it and talked.
"Hello." I said and a cough came from the other side. 
"Annyeong." He said. Oh God…
"A-a-a-a-" I was trapped in stammering and held my mouth with my hand to stop it. 
"Are you alright? Did I call you in a wrong time?" He asked.
"A-anio." 
"Oh you can talk in Korean now. Wow." He laughed I sensed. 
"I actually know little things but can't join the words together." I said and walked to my room. There was silence between us so I said the first thing that came to my mind.
"Why did you call then?" I said and shut my eyes when I heard my own words. What was I saying?
"Umm… Actually…" He was pausing his own words as his voice becoming lower. 
"Yes?" I encouraged him to go on. 
"Actually, about the exhibition… it's just us going." He said and sighed lightly. 
"Oh? I thought like that anyway." I said. 
"Did you think that I thought your friends are coming too?" I asked.
"Yeah, I mean…" He stopped and I heard his footsteps. 
"You can say anything it's alright." I said. I was doing the unreasonable thing again. Why the hell he wants to tell me anything for no reason? But he sighed and spoke again.
"I mean we are friends right?" He asked. 
"Yes, we are. Why?"
"Oh thank God! I thought that you could probably think that we will date. I mean girls are like that in here but I can't know what you think or how you think. Please say that I'm not mistaken." He said sincerely. 
"No. I've never thought like that before until you say it." I said and yes, I'm thinking of it right now but it comes to a deadlock before I go further. 
"So you are thinking about it right now?" He said in worry.
"Oh, I can't really. We're friends okay?" I asked and sit on my bed. Seconds later he said the same thing I said. 
"So is this everything you're going to say for tonight?" I asked and laid on my bed. 
"No. If you have time to talk I can talk as much as you want." He laughed. I also laughed and turned to the window. I peeked outside and then turned to my bed again. 
"It's raining." I said. 
"Oh, yes." He said and sighed again. He's going to talk he said. It would be as much as I want he said. But he barely spoke.
"So, how are you?" I asked. 
"Oh, I was almost sleeping." He sounded sleepy. 
"So sleep then. We can talk tomorrow." I said and rolled on my bed.
"No no. I'm good. How are you?" He said suddenly and I stopped. There was an unintended smile on my face.
"Oh, me too." I sit on my bed again and wanted to ask that one certain question.
"Can I ask you something?" 
"Of course." He said.
"Why did you help me and why are we like this? I mean it's strange." He didn't say anything for a while and I was becoming hopeless. 
"I'm very enjoying this but I mean, what have you thought at first? About me?" I said whispering last words. 
"Oh, you seemed like a good honest person. Also you seemed lost and I thought that you need someone to guide you." 
"Oh so you are some kind of a tourist guide?" I joked.
"No. You know I'm not." He said laughing.
"How can I know. I know nothing about you actually." Then it came out of my mouth at last.
"So we have an exclusive topic now!" He said and I was feeling he was enjoying it.
"What do you want to know first?"
"Are we really doing this on the phone?" I said like it should be done some other platform.
"Oh, okay meet me at the market we bought you food at 9 okay?" He said and hang up. Oh, oh…
"But-" This is a really great trick to make someone move out of their apartment which I was doing right now. But I was not really sure that he was serious so I texted him and he said that he's already there. 
'are you sleeping in that market?' I texted and he replied
'ha ha' he said and then I grabbed my bag then I ran. Why was I running really? When I figured out he saw me behind the glass and a smirk appeared on his face. But he was still a gentleman and I can not make sense of it again. 
We are friends. But why was I nervous? Oh really… I was uncomfortable not nervous. I mean why would I be nervous? Pffh! It was like our first meeting. Yes it was all because of this. 
We are friends. I shook my hand as a greeting and smiled. He was already arisen from his chair and stopped before hugging. Usually they don't hug I thought and bowed. 
"Aishh.." He said and opened his arms and hugged me. 
"Oh."I couldn't say anything and also hugged him and we sit. His perfume was very delicate by the way which I adored. 
"So. Should I buy something to drink both of us?" I asked while I looked at the bottled coffees. He started to touch his coat and he found two coffees and he handed me one of them. I thanked him and opened it. 
"Still hot." I said and smiled. He smiled in return and his eyes lost. We both took a sip from our coffees and he settled his arms on the table. 
"Where did you want me to start?" He asked. I was almost choking by his sudden question. After I swallowed I thought for a while and asked something absurd.
"How did you learn speaking English very fluently?" He seemed a little surprised and upset.
"I was expecting more difficult question but I've been practicing since high school and I went to America four years ago. I lived there for a year and my English must be average for communication, you know." He said and laughed. I smiled and drank my coffee. Then I cleared my throat and talked again.
"Umm,.. Are you living alone?" I asked for no reason. 
"I'm living with my two other friends from high school. They are also in our school." He said and hid his lips and then he bowed his head. Then he reached the coffee. 
"Oh, you should ask me somethings by the way." I said smiling. He stopped drinking and looked at me. 
"I was waiting for it truthfully." He said and came closer to the table. 
"Where should I start?" He asked himself and seemed thinking about it. Then he stopped and looked at me again.
"Dog or cat?" He asked. I was surprised but I laughed.
"Dog." I said while I laughed. He seemed relieved and leaned his back to his chair. 
"Now ask another question." He smirked. Why did he do that? Whatever…
"Do you have a valentine?" What? Okay. What was that Min? Are you out of your mind? What on earth you asked him about it? I mean you can ask him what color he likes but no, you asked him directly the only thing has been tampering your head. 
"No. Why?" He asked. This was the question that I really did not want to hear from him. Because there was not a certain reason for me to ask it. I clenched my teeth and changed my position on chair.
"We are friend you know. I wondered." I said like I was believing the thing I said. 
"Oh of course. Do you have?" He said and I stopped acting.
"I? No." I said. Suddenly he leaned on the table and whispered.
"Why did you say valentine? It's a very weird word. I mean you could say girlfriend or boyfriend or… you know." Then he backed and leaned on his chair again. I mumbled and looked around before I speak but I could see he was looking at me. 
Sometimes he seems like very kind and cute but sometimes he becomes a cold man and stands like that for a time. But the real thing was why was I keep thinking about him and every detail about him? Maybe he was the first friend I've got and that was all. This doesn't explain why I asked him about his love life. 
"Hey, are you there?" He waved his hand and when I looked at him he smiled. Okay his mood was changing again. 
"I was joking. Sorry if you felt bad. Really, I didn't mean to." He said and rose from his chair. He extended his hand to me and then turned his head to me.
"I'm bored from here. Let's walk. Can we?" He said. How could I say no to his endearing face. I got up and took my coffee with me. 
Our steps were following each other synchronically and time to time we were looking at each other. He was talking to not make this situation strange and I noticed that we were going to my neighborhood. Then I stopped and asked him where we were going really. 
"Umm, my house is on the way and yours is too, right?" He said. What?
"What?" I repeated myself and he laughed a little.
"I saw you when you came to your house and-"
"But you said that you were going to meet your friends." 
"My friends were at home. Then we went out." 
"I don't believe in you." I said. He seemed upset and I could see he was feeling bad. 
"I am telling the truth. For what kind of a reason that I can know your house?" He said at last. Yes how he could know?
"Yes, you're right." I said and we kept on walking.