END

Sound of the Night

 

 

It was that time of the night again. Seungri didn't even need to check the clock.

He knew it by heart.

The moonlight gleamed through the window, vaguely illuminating his empty room. He couldn't see clearly of everything, but he didn't mind; it was comforting. As he lies on his bed, head facing the ceiling, he takes in a deep breath.

He could hear the purring of the cats outside his veranda, the screeching of the wheels of the cars on the free highway, the singing of the crickets, and most of all, his own nervous breathing.

Has it always been like this? Wasn't he supposed to get used to it by now?

Though a little afraid, he knew there's a tiny bit part of him that's happy. He knew, somehow, he was looking forward to it.

And there---a creaking sound coming from the wooden chair beside him.

Seungri's heart nearly jumped out.

Slowly, he turns his head to his side. Though it was dim, he could still see the way his eyes sparkled. Then, he smiles at him. Seungri smiles back.

"It's been a while."

Seungri sits up and nods. "It is," he uttered softly.

"How have you been?" the man asked, his eyes, gentle and loving.

"Better," he answered, heart beating fast.

"I see. Goodbye then," said the man, smiling with the utmost mildness.

Seungri then felt his chest twinge. It was that time of the night again. It was painful, but he has to accept it.

Like what he does every night.

With that familiar creaking sound, the man disappears; a tear rolls down on Seungri's cheek.

 

 

 


 

 

"Will you come?"

Seungri smiles. "Of course."

Youngbae then wraps his arm around the boy's shoulder. They continued walking on the stale grass, with every step coherent with one another.

The sky was blue with the perfect amount of clouds in it. The birds were chirping along with the calm wind that swayed the trees.

Then, they halt. They stood there in silence.

Youngbae takes in a deep breath. He stood sturdily as he felt the boy's weeping. "Yeah, I miss him too," he said, caressing Seungri's back. "We all do."

 

 

"Kwon Jiyong

August 18, 1988 - October 5, 2011"