Ramen

Shy boys

 

‘Knead the dough, Cut to noodles and turn it to a soup’ Joshua sings to himself as he kneads the dough. ‘You need to put in love for the ramen to taste good. So good they will fall in love with you’ he recalls his Sensei’s naggings. He giggled to himself. ‘If that is true, why is Sensei still single until now?’ he thought to himself. ‘And also, why am I still single now?’  ‘Nah, it’s not as if I learned to cook ramen to date anyway’

 

 

‘Joshua, one bowl with extra noodles’ he heard his manager, S.Coups ordered. ‘Yes, hyung’ he replied. Again, he giggles to himself as he tried to picture the person eating his creation. Does he or she have an eye smile? Why does the person need another serving? Is the person is sad?  Or is he just really hungry? And if he is really hungry, why? Did he skip breakfast? But it’s like 3pm now! Joshua’s curiosity broadens. Then a moment of epiphany hit him. ‘Oh yeah, I can just look through the glass’ he said with an adorable little laugh. ‘How dumb am I’. The kitchen is visible from the dining area through a glass wall. It is one of those restaurants where you can marvel at the chef’s skills as he prepares dishes and Joshua scans the dining area to fill his curiosity about the person’s appearance. The restaurant was almost empty, except for a couple with the guy feeding his girlfriend or wife (Joshua felt all fuzzy inside with this display of affection he witnessed) and this lone guy who is facing him. ‘Foreigner’ the first word that came to Joshua’s mind as he saw Vernon for the first time. ‘Gorgeous hair’ he muttered to himself as he continued to stare at the customer, ‘and eyes’ he added, unconsciously smiling.

 

 

Again, he let out a small laugh as he put in the finishing touches on this bowl of ramen. He believes the positive energy from laughing can spread to the person eating his food. Joshua bends as he scrutinised every little detail (he scrunches his nose to try to perfect the arrangement) and made his creation look stunning. ‘I hope he likes this’ he said to himself with a hopeful smile. He rings the bell, a sign for S.Coups to deliver the dish to the customer.

 

 

Joshua watches as his hyung delivers the ramen to the waiting customer. He watches as the guy thanks his hyung with a smile (and noticed how completely cute the smile is) and he lets out a small laugh as he witnessed a funny scene of the beautiful guy breaking his cool image by sniffing the aroma of the ramen, only to have his nose hit the soup, causing him to yelp in surprise. (‘Such a dork, but he is cute though’). Joshua’s eyes, heck it was his entire face, eagerly followed the spoon as the clumsy customer took a sip of the broth.  Joshua was following the movement of the spoon towards Vernon’s mouth that his face hit the glass. Our gentleman chef didn’t even take much notice of this as he continued observing the customer and he broke out into a smile as his customer’s face broke into a foodgasm, obviously enjoying the soup, eyes closed with an angelic smile.  (Success!)

 

‘Oh look at this boy, you’re grinning from ear to ear’ S.Coups said, judging the younger from the side, witnessing almost everything. ‘You are like a stalker’ he continued. ‘Hyung, I’m not a stalker. A stalker watches silently without the other person knowing but I’m looking through the glass, he can see me’ Joshua replied wittingly. ‘Aigoo you look like you are in love’ the older teased before leaving the younger, whose soft cheeks turned red. He shrugged it off after doing a small dance by shaking his head and arms before looking back at the customer. To his surprise, the customer has already finished eating, standing up and making his way to pay for his meal. A wave of disappointment hit Joshua by this but still let out a smile and whispered a soft ‘Bye’, wondering if he would see this dork again.

 

To his surprise, the dork came again the next day. And the next day. And the following day, even on weekends. Joshua witnessed all the dork’s movements and laughed at his clumsy and funny antics (as Mr Dork, as Joshua fondly calls him, accidentally splashed the broth at himself while attempting to scoop out the soup and whatnot). He also witnessed the change in hairstyles and fashion. In fact, this became the highlight of Joshua’s day and he even came on his day-offs just to witness the dork and his adorkable actions (and to marvel at the flawless visuals). ‘You are so smitten, it is creepy’ S.Coups remarked, witnessing Joshua’s ‘stalking’ (he insists that the younger is stalking and warns the smitten guy that he might be sued for this) for the umpteenth time. The younger just ignored his hyung as he continued to watch the show, a smile forming on his lips again. Unknowingly, S.Coups smirked as an idea formed in his head. ‘Joshua, go and man the cashier’

 

‘BUT HYUNG PLEASE I’M NOT READY’ ‘I don’t care, I’m the boss’ ‘I’m willing to forgo my pay today just PLEASE’ the younger begged as the older dragged him out of the kitchen. Joshua admitted his defeat as his hyung locked the kitchen door and as he saw Mr. Dork make his way to the unmanned cashier counter. He shot his hyung a ‘SAVE ME’ look but the older just gave him a non-chalant shrug before mouthing ‘HWAITING’.  The cook slowly approached the cashier and he could feel the dork’s gaze on him. He was blushing and refused to look up, looking at the floor. (What do I do? He asked himself, in a state of panic, heart pounding). He keyed in the options in the monitor before saying ‘E-e-eight thou-ou-sand won’ in English, before bowing, hands stretched out. (Oh no, I stuttered. He might think I’m weird. Oh well, he might think I’m still learning English even though I’m American). He heard a laugh before feeling bills and coins being pressed onto his hands (OH MY GOSH WE MADE CONTACT). ‘Here’ (SUCH A Y VOICE BTW). He bowed as he took the money, without raising his head at Mr Dork.

 

‘Thank you and have a nice day’ he greeted in English still refusing to look up. ‘Uhmm, my change?’ Mr Dork asked. ( OH ) ‘I’m really sorry about that’ our shy tomato apologised. ‘It’s ok. You must not be familiar with the machine huh, chef?’ Mr Dork asked. Joshua looked up, ‘You know I’m the chef?’ he asked, finally making eye contact. ‘Finally I can see those eyes’ the dork replied with a satisfied grin, ‘and yes. I can see you cooking through the glass’

‘Oh ok’

‘My change?’

‘Oh yeah, here’

‘I’m Vernon’

‘I’m Joshua’

‘I like that name, your Korean name?’

‘Jisoo’

‘Mine’s Hansol’ the dork said, taking out his hand. Jisoo shook it, this time more comfortable.

‘And uh, keep smiling. I come here to see your smile as you cook. It’s lovely’

Joshua wanted to burst. ‘T-thanks’

He waited for Mr Dork to take his leave but the dork stayed, as if trying to prolong the conversation.

There was now an awkward atmosphere as silence engulfed the two with our chef staring at the cash register and the dork looking at the other.

‘Do you believe in love at first sight? Cause that’s what I felt when I first saw you’

‘Me too’

 __________________________

‘Was that a pick up line, you know, on our first day?’ Vernon asked

‘Nope, I couldn’t think properly! My heart was beating so fast!’ Joshua replied, hands intertwining with the younger’s hand

‘Strange, cause you picked me up’

‘Is that a joke? Cause Mr Dork is turning to Mr Lame’

‘But at least I’m your Mr Lame’ Vernon replied, emphasising on the your, causing the older to blush

‘You know chef, I’m hungry’

‘I don’t have anything for you right now’

‘Yes you do’

‘What?’

‘Your lips’ the dork replied before putting his lips on Joshua, as the latter closed his eyes enjoying the sensation.

‘Yums’

‘Get out hyung’