1/1

The Kimbap
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He wordlessly stared at the small packet lying in the fair hand, which was stretched out toward him, waiting for his move.

“I'm being serious. Here, you can have it. I don't mind.” He noticed the genuine smile that appeared on her face as she said those words.

He was used to getting stuff for free and receiving gifts from female, sometimes even male, admirers had almost become one of his daily routines – the perks of being born with a handsome face of a flower boy. But this time, it was different. The petite girl in front of him showed no interest in him whatsoever - her little act of kindness rather reminded him a Mom treating her little son with a candy for being a good boy.

Since there hadn't been any proper reaction from him besides some awkward 'uh-s' and unintelligible 'no-s', he could sense the crescent-shaped eyes watching him with a mix of curiosity and amusement. Despite his confidence in his looks, he still couldn't help it but feel nervous and shy around girls. To prevent him from blurting out some nonsense, thus embarrassing himself even more, he cleared his throat and swallowed several times before settling for a passable answer.

“No, you took it first. It's yours. You don't have to worry about me.” Good job, Jin, you succeeded in conveying that without a stutter.

A tired sigh with a hint of impatience escaped from her lips after the vain attempts to persuade him. Jin was about to add some more polite reassuring phrases, when the girl just reached out, grabbed his forearm and turned his hand palm up, only to placed the triangle-shaped rice snack in his hand.

They say that if a brain doesn't get enough oxygen in more than five minutes, the brain cells begin to die, which will likely lead to your own death. So how was it possible, despite all these scientific facts, he was still standing there, quite fine, his heart so close to bursting out of his chest? Because he certainly couldn't breathe as his lungs suddenly refused to take in the air.

And the reason behind it was now offering him the last kimbap in the store with a bright smile.

“I said it's fine. As you can see, I bought bunch of these, so I can spare one.” To convince him more, she lifted up the little plastic bag almost next to her face and shook it, its contents rustled. “Moreover, they aren't even for me but my friend, who's going through some tough times with her boyfriend. Or maybe ex-boyfriend. Anyhow, it's better to keep her stomach full.” Then she glanced from him to a young woman outside the shop, who was striding around quite furiously with a phone pressed to her ear.

“One more reason for me not to accept this.” The last thing he wanted now was to make a hungry, grumpy and emotionally unstable girl cry over one damn kimbap. He was a big softie, and against girls' tears completely defenceless. However, before Jin could return it back with a polite bow, the girl had stepped back a little.

“No, keep it. I think six kimbaps as a breakup food should be enough. Besides, you look like you had a rough day too and could use a little mood-booster. So please, don't make me the bad guy here, and for-God-sake take it.” She flashed him one last grin with a nod, and walked out of there. After that, she linked arms with her friend and they left together.

Jin felt like a great weight was lifted off his chest with her departure as he was able to finally take a deep breath.

“What took you so long, hyung?” asked Jungkook, without looking up from his cup of ramen, when Jin got back and sat down at the plastic table near the convenience store.

“Yeah, what were you talking about with that chick? You must be tired of girls constantly asking you for my number.” Taehyung unwrapped the lollipop Jin had brought him and waggled his eyebrows at him playfully as he never got tired of making fun of his awkward older friend. To their questions, Jin only slightly shook his head.

Jungkook slurped down the rest of his noodles and glanced up at Jin. “Hyung, what's wrong? Are you still upset about your boss?”

It took him a while to figure out what was Jungkook talking about before he realized that the two youngsters took him out mainly to cheer up his spirit since his day at work . “No, I'm not.”

“Then why aren't you eating?” Jungkook pointed at the still untouched cup of ramen with his pair of chopsticks.

“I guess I'm not that hungry as I thought.”

“Well, that's something new.”

“Then, can I have this?” Before Taehyung could seize the triangle packet, Jin snatched it from him in the speed of lightning.

“No, you can't, TaeTae. It's the last one.”

“Okay, okay. Jeez, it's not like it's the last kimbap in the world. A bit sensitive, aren't we?”

 

-

 

“Hyung, your food is getting cold.”

“I never thought I would see the day when Kim Seokjin stops eating for more than ten minutes.”

“God, is that a drool in the corner of his mouth?”

“What's wrong with him these days?”

“It must be because of that girl again. He's like this everytime we happen to have lunch here at the same time as her. ”

“Girl? Which one?”

“That short brunette at second table. The one with that pretty eyesmile.”

Five heads turned in unison in the direction Jimin had pointed earlier.

“GUYS.” Jin whined when he noticed what his friends were doing. Even though he tried to be as discreet as possible with his little fascination by a certain person, it was impossible to miss out his sudden loss of appetite, short silences and random glances here and there, whenever she showed up at their favorite restaurant.

All of them now turned their attention to him, as he was playing with the food in his bowl.

“Now that's a cute sigh.” Namjoon was grinning to that extent, that his dimple made an appearance.

Hoseok eyed the mentioned girl from head to toe once again. “She doesn't look like those girls you usually date.” With a wide, excited tell-me-more grin, he leaned forward to Jin, resting his elbows on the table. “So,” Hoseok raised his eyebrows in expectation, “what makes her special?”

Jin knew what his curious dongsaeng had in mind – Jin didn't have a particular type, however, he did have a soft spot for gorgeous faces, perfect hair and flawless skin. No wonder his friends were left with a big question mark hanging above their heads. While all his ex-girlfriends were very pretty young ladies, his new crush was rather one of those average girls, with whom the neighbourhood was literally filled. No, this girl wasn't a real beauty in the traditional way, but there's was something about her sincere smile that had caught his attention the first time they had met. As he had been observing her during lunch breaks for these few weeks, Jin was even more mesmerized by the motherly vibes she gave off when she automatically looked after her friends that usually accompanied her, her affection clearly showed in everything she did. Even now, she was putting another piece of food into her friend's bowl as she always did, then tapping the other girl's lips and wiping off the marks the sauce had left behind. Jin had fallen in love with the warm feeling of security that had germinated inside of him whenever he set his eyes on the petite girl. Although everyone always said, that Jin was a typical family guy and perfect husband material, he didn't really think about it, not until now. He found himself liking the idea of having someone like that beside him. A good mother and wife.

However, he would rather starve to death than say some of those things out loud in front of his friends, who were already prepared to mock him no matter what. “I don't know, she just is. Special.”

“Woooo...” The whole table let out a loud and teasing holler.

“Oh my, look at his red ears!” Taehyung couldn't spare his eldest hyung of another embarrassment.

 

-

 

“Yep, he's still staring.” Namjoo giggled and nudged the older girl next to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter