01:00

1071

Don't panic Solar. Calm yourself down. Repeat after me. Breathe in, breathe out. Breathe in, breathe out. You've dealt with similar situations before, Solar! You can do this! "W-Why don't you put down the knife before you do anything rashly?"

Ugh Solar, you've just stuttered, now she's going to be unconvinced of your authority over her.

"Where am I?" The girl in blue pajamas demanded, both hands still tightly gripped on the knife.

Actually she's quite pretty... Focus Solar! Right. So, how exactly did I get into this situation, with this total stranger pointing my kitchen knife at me? I would need to start from the beginning, when my friend Irene contacted me with a special request...

 

---

"Please, Yongsun. I need you to do this for me. I swear I will never ask anything from you ever again." Irene had a hint of desperation in her voice, almost like she was going to cry. Irene is a friend that I've met from my internship in the hospital. Both of us worked together for 3 months, and subsequently, Irene went on to become the youngest doctor in Seoul hospital while I became a nurse working there. I wouldn't say that we are exactly besties, but we're pretty close. Irene is someone I want to become, always calm and composed. Which might be why I was alarmed when she was anything but that when she called me at 7am in the morning.

"Ok sure! It isn't anything illegal, right?" I answered cheerfully. It is always great to help someone in need. After all, I'm a nurse.

Irene was silent for a few moments. "It isn't anything illegal. But... I would not say that it's legal."

"What do you mean?"

"I need you to help me look after... one of my patients for a few days. Maybe weeks. I'm paying for all the expenses incurred, of course."

"One of your patients?! Are you sneaking someone out of the hospital?!" I squeaked! "Irene! This is against the law!"

"No. She isn't from Seoul Hospital. In fact, she isn't in any of the hospitals. She's... in a special ward." Irene sighed. "I understand if you're hesitant about this. You know what, never mind."

"W-Wait!" I interrupted her. "I'll help you." I felt bad. During the course of the internship, and even now, when I'm working, Irene had constantly helped me through the day, especially when I can be a bit clumsy and forgetful at times.

"Really? Thanks! I'll send her to you later!"

"No problem." I agreed happily. After all, it's Irene. I trust her. what could go wrong?

---

Apparently everything. 

It was 3am when she arrived, I was rudely awakened by the constant ringing of my door bell, followed by heavy bangs on my door. "Yah~ I groaned. "I'm coming."  However, when I had finally opened my front door, there was nothing except her, looking like an abandoned orphan on the front of my steps. Except the girl looks around 20, curled up in a fetal position, and extremely dirty.

"Eh? T-This girl... she's the patient?!" I extended my leg and poked the girl lightly with my feet. She's looks like a borderline criminal who escaped from another country. Not to mention the orange jumpsuit, despite the several patches with mud and dirt stuck onto it, looked totally like something a prisoner would wear. Should I call Irene to confirm this or something?!

The girl let out a soft moan and I froze. "Solar..." 

How does she know my name? It couldn't be?! Speaking of the devil, my phone rang and the caller was none other than Irene. I quickly answered the call. "Irene, what is the meaning of this?!"

"Solar. I can't talk for long. Take care of her." Irene said hurriedly. It was almost inaudible as her voice was covered up by several other more frantic voices and... was that a fire alarm going off?

"Irene-" Before I could continue any further, Irene ended the call. "Yah!"

Well. Just great. Maybe I should just leave her there, perhaps she will leave when she wakes up. I glanced at the girl again. Ok, maybe not. What if the police saw her on my doorstep? I could go to jail for having a criminal at my doorstep! Then again, they could always jail me for harboring a criminal. Ok, Solar, let's think this through. Either way, you've have a high chance of going to jail, but at least if you hide her in your house, the police would be less likely to find out. Plus, you promised Irene that you'll help her. 

Sighing in defeat, I bent down and placed the girl's left arm over my shoulder, half dragging her into my house. 

---

 

 

It was hard choosing what to do first. The girl was bruised, dirty and unconscious. But having an education in nursing (or maybe it was just common sense) told me that bathing the girl would be the first step as I would be able to access all the injuries the girl had, and wash off any dirt. 

The girl was lying on the floor my bathroom, still curled up in the fetal position I found her in. I bent down again, and tried to pry her arms away from her knees, which was surprisingly hard to do so. After which, I half-covered my eyes, while trying to undress her, but gave up half way because her jumpsuit was completely stuck onto her, due to her sweat and mud. Let's just say... she wasn't wearing anything underneath the jumpsuit.... Eek!

After placing her inside the bath tub, I scanned her body for her bruises. I found several on her face after brushing her ash black hair away, but the most prominent ones were on her knees. There was also several black markings on her body, such as the crudely drawn dotted lines on her eyelids, and a barcode looking tattoo on her left fore arm, just below the palm of her hand. Weird. Then again, it serves as a reminder that this girl is a highly dangerous person. How did Irene even convinced me to do this? Scrubbing out most of the dirt on her body, I let her soak in the bath tub as I searched for a set of pajamas for her. The only ones I could find was a blue set of pajamas dotted with white dots. Dressing her up into the set of pajamas, I finally had a good look at her, not at her physical appearance, but small crease between her eyebrows, the end of her lips pointing downwards, signaling that she was tense and probably having a nightmare, the most humane side of her I had seen since I found her outside my doorstep. 

In any case, it was at this point that I had made the worse decision ever, which was to put this potentially dangerous girl inside my guest room, which actually sounds like a sound decision, except that I had forgotten to lock the door, or even padlocked the door. Which brings me back to my current situation. As any sane person would, after being rudely awaken at 3am and having to care for a person until 5, I went back to sleep after the whole ordeal, and after waking up much later, I had completely forgotten that the girl was inside my house. 

The exact same girl who was wielding a knife at my face. Hey, for all I know, she might just want some breakfast? Nah, who am I kidding, the expression on her face (despite her closed eyes, as I had placed an eye mask over her eyes in hope of soothing the bruise, which was still attached to her ), was one that was ready to kill me. 

"You're in my house. In Seoul. Irene sent you here. Do you remember?" I tried speaking as slowly as possible, enunciating each word clearly, and inched closer to her.

"Irene?" 

"Irene's your doctor. She sent you here for a few days. I'm Solar." I stuck out a hand, in hopes that I could snatch my knife back, but the girl was so much quicker as she took several steps back.

"Solar." The girl repeated, her voice laced with confusion. "You can't be Solar."

"Ehh? What are you saying. That's my name." This girl is seriously weird. Not that I'm not, but she's on a whole new level.

"Name." The girl seemed to contemplate, her pronunciation of the word was foreign. "What is that?" She held up the knife again, pointing it close to my chest. 

Damn it Solar, get your act together. You need to survive through this.

"A name is something, eh, you know, you identify with? Something you are called? What is your name?" I tried to sound as friendly as possible, not wanting that knife through my chest any time soon. Maybe the girl hit her head too hard against something, to have even forgotten her name. 

"Identify. Code. Is a name like a code?"

Now this girl is just going off tangent. What is she even? Is she even sane? Solar, relax, you can do this. Remember your nurse training. Code. Hmmm, where have you seen a code? Her forearm! What were the numbers on her forearm again? 

"1071!"

The girl lowered the knife. "That is my code. Now tell me, what is yours?"

"S-Solar?" I replied. Now I'm confused, who in their right minds identify themselves through a string of numbers?! I mean, other than your security number of course

"You are a person, no? A person is an it. And every it has their code." 

"Hah? Then maybe I'm special? But I swear I'm a human, just like you. " I choke out a forced laugh. "If you could just take the eye mask off, you can see that." The girl seemed to contemplate over my words again, before finally putting the knife down, her hands fumbled up, towards her face, before she unhooked the ends of the eye mask off her face.

Her eyelids greeted me. 

"See? What is see?"

It was perhaps at this point that I had realized that the girl in front of me was really special. And not in a good way.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

---

Author here :) This is the first draft for the first chapter of the story. It's in Solar's pov and will continue to be so, at least I think so. I hope it's not that confusing. Not sure if this is considered a spoiler,  but 1071 is Moonbyul, just that she isn't called Moonbyul. Yet. I may modify this as Solar's character here seems to vary, such as her personal voice which changes in style (Like using I and you at the same time, but both are solar's personal voice)