Withered away

Withered away

It was late. Late enough to see the stars clearly. Kim Mingyu swiped his thumb across his lower lip to try if it was still bleeding. Getting into a fight was nothing special for him. Getting beaten up by three people was just unfair. Otherwise he would have won. Mingyu looked and his thumb and clenched his fist. His knuckles were bleeding and his clothes were covered in dirt. This time the way home seemed so much longer than usually. Maybe it was because of the pain on his right knee or because he was tired. Either way the brown haired young man just wanted to get home as soon as possible. Blood was dripping from the corner of his lips causing people who walked past him take a step away from him. To think that someone covered in bruises could look so calm, like nothing had happened. Others recognized the young troublemaker since the neighbors were really nosy and his mother was always running around telling others about his private matters.

That time would be no different. His mother always started to fuss about fighting in school and wondering, if his "little baby boy" was okay. Of course Mingyu was okay. Why would he not be? It didn't annoy him that his mother called him a baby boy, but the fact that she always tried to interfere with his life. Being nineteen was not great. You couldn't even drink and you were still considered to be a young boy. One more year. Twenty, the big two zero. That was when your life began. Bars, girls, casual with no strings attached. That sounded so wrong and even now Mingyu couldn't believe he really had thought that way. Love had been a disease, a cancer that ate people slowly on the inside, making them rotten and disgusting. You will always end up heartbroken anyways. It was better being physically hurt than cry day and night because of something that was just a huge mistake.

Step by step his house came closer. He would be able to change his dirty clothes. The school uniform had to be washed again. The dark blue trousers were a shade lighter because of the sand and the blood stains on the collar of his shirt looked a bit bigger than last time. The blood on his jacket made just a bit darker stain since the color red couldn't be seen on such a dark fabric. Maybe that kind of life had not been what he had originally wanted. Something had made him bitter like that. For a few seconds he quickened his pace because he wanted to reach his house quicker. The two-story house he lived in was on his right. Mingyu stopped and stared at the gate not knowing if he should open it or not. He lowered his gaze and stated at his shoes which were covered in dirt. When did life become so sad. Getting beaten up almost every day and coming back home only to get scolded by his mother. She was a nice woman but sometimes she was just too much. Mingyu raised his hand and swiped the blood from the corner of his lips again. He looked up at the sky. The stars could be seen clearly. They were shining bright and the moonlight was causing Mingyu's face to glow more than usually. The color red was glistening on his skin and for a moment he might have not looked that pathetic.

That was when something caught his eyes. A figure sitting on the roof of the opposite house. A young person. A young man. Mingyu had not seen him before even though he had lived in that neighborhood for years. He knew the people living in the house but he had never knew that the couple had a son. The moonlight framed his manly face. He had sharp eyes, a skinny looking body that was covered by an oversized sweater, and his expression was somehow worry some. He looked elegant even though a sweater might have not been the most elegant piece of clothing. There was only one word Mingyu could come up with during that moment.

"Beautiful".

The boy was looking up at the sky. It made his jawline look sharper because the moonlight casted a shadow on his skin. Kim Mingyu had never been so amazed by a human being before. He made sure he would remember every single inch of that man. His hands that were shaking a bit, his weak looking body and his dark sparkly eyes. A lonely tear fell on the boy's face as he turned his head causing his eyes to meet Mingyu's. The eye contact lasted for one...two...three seconds before the boy stood up and disappeared behind the roof ridge. Mingyu had sensed how nervous he had been since he had been caught like that. Without further thinking Mingyu opened the gate and entered his yard taking slow steps towards the front door. He hesitated when he was reaching for the handle, but opened it while preparing himself for another round of complaints.

 

It only took three seconds. It is not a long time but for Mingyu it had seemed like minutes, hours or maybe even years. How those eyes had panicked and how the boy had disappeared like nothing had happened. Mingyu was sure he had been close to his own age but he had never seen the boy before. Mingyu had started calling him "flower" because of his beautiful essence. Mrs. Kim had hesitated a lot when Mingyu had asked about the boy next door. The only thing he had gotten out of her was his name.

"To live by helping out with a rounded heart. Jeon Wonwoo".

Even his name was beautiful. Mingyu wanted to know that boy. The boy with sad eyes who had gazed at the stars.

The couple living in the opposite house denied that they had a son. Why would they have a son all of a sudden? Something seemed fishy. Mingyu had been sure he had seen someone on the roof. It had been impossible to forget those eyes. Every single day he went to ring the doorbell hoping that the sad eyed boy would open the door. However it never happened. It was always either the wife or her husband. Every time he got the same nervous look and the same words:

"Why do you think we would have a son?"

Mingyu had almost given up. For days he continued to bother his neighbors with questions and he was just about to give up. He sat next to his window and gazed at the stars. They reminded him of the boy and he had actually started to appreciate them a bit. He noticed movement outside. Mingyu didn't know what he was expecting since he only lowered his gaze a bit. He was waiting to see a bird of some kind, but when he saw a quick flash of a white sweater he almost fell down. There he was. It had not been a dream. With the same sad eyes the boy had climbed on the roof to look at the stars. The flower bloomed at night. Mingyu got up from his chair and almost flew outside. He didn't even bother to close the door, he just ran across their front yard and jumped over the gate. He stopped in the middle of the road and looked up at the beautiful figure.

"Don't disappear this time!"

The boy turned his head after hearing someone yell. He looked like he had wished it was not meant for him. Immediately it looked like he panicked. He was shaking and he pulled his knees against his chest. This time the eye contact lasted for at least five seconds until the boy looked down.

"Are you talking to me?"

Mingyu tilted his head and looked around. There was not anyone else around or even near him. There was no way he would have been talking to someone else.

"Yes I'm talking to you."

Another shy look was casted towards him. The boy was obviously curious but he seemed so shy. He opened his mouth slightly as if to say something but nothing came out. Or at least Mingyu didn't hear anything. He wanted to climb up and go sit next to the boy. Next to Wonwoo, but maybe he shouldn't. But when had Mingyu ever listened to any sense. He jumped over the gate and sneaked past the windows so the couple wouldn't see him. Behind the house he climbed the ladders and tried not to make any noise. The boy didn't say anything. He just stood still and stared at Mingyu who dared to come close to him without asking for permission. He looked so nervous. He started shaking even more and tried to hide his face. Mingyu sat next to him and looked at him with his head slightly tilted.

"Are you okay?" he asked a bit carefully. Seemed like something was wrong. Just like last time Mingyu had seen the boy he saw a tear on his face when he removed his hands from his face.

"Why are you talking to me?" the boy asked with a shaky voice. His voice was so quiet Mingyu barely heard it but he was still able to confirm one of his theories. Even his voice was like honey. For a moment Mingyu said nothing. He allowed the boy to look at him and it seemed like he really checked every part of him just in case.


"I have been thinking about you, a lot," was the answer Mingyu gave him. Even though it was dark Mingyu saw how the boy's face flushed scarlet almost immediately. He really was shy. He wasn't sure if he imagined it or did he really hear a really silent "why?" There was no way he would answer the real reason. He was not going to say that he had not been able to stop thinking about him because he had seen him as a beautiful creature. Not even once had Mingyu had feelings for a boy. Not even a girl and now this shy little boy had caught his eye.

"I'm not sure if you know me I'm..."

"Kim Mingyu".

Mingyu didn't even finish his sentence when the boy already said his name. So he really did live in the neighborhood since he knew Mingyu's name. He nodded to confirm that the boy had been right.

"You are the son of Mr. and Mrs. Kim who live in the house across mine," the boy continued to show how much he already knew about Mingyu. His voice was still shaking because of his shyness.

"I probably shouldn't tell you my name but I will tell you as a thank you for trying to talk to me," he said and looked at Mingyu for a brief moment before looking down again.

"Jeon Wonwoo".

 

It really had not been the kind of start of a friendship Mingyu had hoped for. Wonwoo only went out during the night and never outside his own yard. He had actually seen the boy smile a couple of times but then he quickly covered his face because of embarrassed. Mingyu had learned the reason why Wonwoo never talked to anyone or never went outside. He had a really bad case of social anxiety, but Mingyu was sure there was something else that was being kept hidden from him.

The more time he spent with the sad eyed boy the more Mingyu started to feel that this was more than just a simple friendship. His feelings were to be hidden from Wonwoo since Mingyu wasn't sure what his reaction would be like. It would probably not be a good thing for Wonwoo's mental health either. Mingyu was complitely happy with just hanging out with him during the night. Of course Wonwoo's parents had had a word or two against it, but seeing their son actually have fun made them change their minds. Who would have wanted to be isolated from others for years. It was no surprise that Wonwoo was shy. Even the first time Mingyu had saw hin had gotten him to panic. Mingyu had heard from the boy that he had hidden that panic from his parents since he had been forbidden from going outside.

"The stars are so pretty. Sometimes I just sit on the roof and stare at them for hours but apparently it was not such a good idea since I got caught," had been the explanation Mingyu had gotten when Wonwoo was asked why he had been sitting on the roof. The stars were beautiful but Mingyu had seen something even more beautiful. The figure of this young man who was smiling at him. More beautiful than stars. More beautiful than any flower could ever be. To even think about something so cheesy made shivers run down Mingyu's spine. It was love he was sure, but there was no way he would reveal his inappropriate feelings towards him. He was too afraid of what would happen. It would probably make him seem selfish even though he spent every night with the boy. School was tiering and Mingyu slept through the day taking in every single mean word from the teachers. School had not been a priority for him. It was always something else and this time it was Wonwoo.

It continued to be a beautiful friendship for weeks. Nights were getting darker every day. As much as Wonwoo loved spending time outside the darkness was too much for him. Spending time inside was not different from spending it outside. The difference was that Mingyu was able to see every inch of Wonwoo much better. He had sharp eyes which made him appeal much more distant that he actually was. Those eyes had captured him into something very deep. Having a better view made Wonwoo more shy than he already was. He was always shaking and trying to hide his face from Mingyu. It was easily understood that Wonwoo's social anxiety was not a simple thing. Being shy even around a friend. Mingyu felt shy for a whole different reason. His heart was always racing and he couldn't even think straight. He wanted to tell so badly but was too afraid to do so. If his feelings were only on his side he would just end up embarrassing himself and it could end their friendship completely so the only thing Mingyu could do was smile and think of Wonwoo as a friend. A beautiful angel-like friend who changed his life without even realizing it.

 

Days, weeks and months went by so fast that Mingyu couldn't even believe it. For a long time he had wanted to go somewhere else with Wonwoo rather than his own house. Getting Wonwoo to visit his house had been an achievement which they were both really proud of. Like in every friendship they too had their little fights but Mingyu was always the one to apologize but then happened the one thing he had never thought he would do.

"Wonwoo I want to take you out. At night of course but still," Mingyu said as he tilted his head waiting for a reply. When the only reply he got was Wonwoo shaking his head and starting to play with the fabric of his huge sweater. That was the reply Mingyu received every single time. He wanted to take Wonwoo out and show him that the world is not that evil. He would be safe and Mingyu wouldn't let anything happen to him. He asked the same question every day for several weeks. It was clear that Wonwoo didn't enjoy the question at all. He was more nervous every time it was asked and when he couldn't take it anymore he just felt tears running down his cheeks. He wanted to hide them from Mingyu since showing your weakness to someone was the thing he hated the most. Wonwoo was weak but only he wanted to be aware of that. Crying alone in his room was not a new thing but this time he wasn't even alone. Mingyu was sitting right next to him but still he couldn't help himself.

"Please stop asking me that!"

"Why? I want to take you out".

Mingyu didn't stop. He was determined to take Wonwoo out. Partly because he wanted show him the outside world and partly because he would be able to consider it as a date. His secret date with the angel he fell for. He knew it was love. Every time he thought of the boy his heart was beating a bit faster, his hands got a bit more sweaty and all he could think of were those beautiful eyes and the pretty smile. Every time Wonwoo leaned against him or accidentally touched him it felt like the world stopped and there were no other people in the world.

"Please no. I can't take it anymore".

Wonwoo hid his face in the palms of his hands so Mingyu wouldn't see the tears he was shedding. This had been going on for too long. Every night the same thing. Mingyu had started to feel himself rejected even though that was not the case. He felt like Wonwoo was ashamed of him or didn't trust him enough. Kim Mingyu was not a man of good patience and that was it.

"You always close yourself inside. I know about your social anxiety but I just want to show you that you can trust people. More importantly that you can trust me!" he half yelled causing Wonwoo to look up. The boy felt how a panic attack was on its way and he wanted to escape to situation as quickly as he could. Turning around he started thinking about other things.

"I just can't believe that you dare to call me your friend! Do you ever even think about me of how I feel. It is always about you and your problems!" Mingyu's voice was cracking showing how nervous he was. He didn't want to be so mean but the words were just coming out. The filter had been turned off and that was a bad sign. This time Wonwoo stood up. He still didn't face Mingyu but he wiped his tears once again.

"You know nothing about me! And if you really cared about me as your friend you would understand me!" he yelled back. Mingyu took one step back. It had been the first time he heard Wonwoo yell. His deep voice seemed even deeper when it was heart with a more powerful tone like that.

"I have my own reasons for not going out and it has nothing to do with you! Sometimes I even think if you even like me as a fr..."

 

"I ING LOVE YOU!"

 

Silence filled the room after those words. Thoughts of regret filled Mingyu's head and he immediately bit his lower lip. He didn't know what he should do next since the situation got so awkward so quickly. Wonwoo was shaking again. He looked nervous as he slowly turned his head and looked at Mingyu. His cheeks were wet and he was clearly panicking. He looked like he wanted to say something but nothing came out. Not a single word nor a single sound. He was shocked. Mingyu stood still with his mouth slightly open. The awkward eye contact lasted for a couple of seconds until Mingyu couldn't take it anymore.

"I'm sorry," he mumbled and turned around. Now he had started shedding tears and he didn't want Wonwoo to see that. With quick steps he exited the room leaving Wonwoo there all alone. Wonwoo cried his silent tears. It was such a shock for him to hear something like that. Mingyu was his only friend and now it felt like everything would fall apart. A sharp pain struck is heart which made him clutch his sweater in his fists. Why did it hurt so much to hear that confession?

Mingyu had just gotten out of the house as fast as he could. He did not look back nor even think about going back. He was sure that now it was all over. His friend who had become his first love probably never wanted to see him again. Mingyu felt so embarrassed he just wanted to disappear. The sad eyes and the tears on Wonwoo's face broke his heart and he knew what this kind of stress was able to do for the poor boy. Wonwoo might have been a bit older than him but he didn't handle stress well. It hurt to even think what might happen inside those walls. Without further thinking Mingyu ran inside his own house. He didn't even answer his mother when she asked if something was wrong. He made his way straight upstairs into his own room. With a loud bang he closed the door and just fell on his bed burying his face into the pillow. He wanted to hold it in but the tears just kept coming. Love is a cancer that kills you from the inside. Now Mingyu knew why he had thought that. He was hurting. Not because someone had broken his heart, but because he felt like he had broken someone else's.

 

"Do you still remember that day?"

 

Yes. That day. How could anyone forget. It was the day that surprised even Wonwoo. For such a thing to happen and because of him was such a great surprise for everyone at the moment. No one knew he had such courage in him to act the way he did. He had been avoiding Mingyu for days, not knowing if it was right to do anything after the confession. Mingyu had skipped school for several days in a row and it made his mother really worried. Every time she tried to get information out of him he just told her to get lost. Mingyu had always been rude but the time with Wonwoo had made him softer. He had allowed the boy to get under his skin and under that hard shell he actually had a soft heart. Heart which seemed to be in pieces at the moment. For several days he had been sitting in his own room cursing himself for falling in love. It only caused pain just like he had originally thought. How could he be so stupid? Love is blind just like everyone says. Mingyu had allowed himself to fall for a man who couldn't even leave his own house.

He was sitting on his bed facing the wall. Even after all the tears he had shed he was still thinking about it. His room was dark even when the sun was shining outside. He had blocked every ray of light that tried to sneak into his room since looking outside only reminded him of the first day he had talked with Wonwoo. The view from his window only showed the side view of his house and all he could imagine was the sad eyed boy sitting on the roof gazing at the stars. A woman's voice was heard and Mingyu recognized it to be his mother. She wasn't talking to him, which made him think she had gotten a visitor. At least someone in the family was doing great. Before he could think any further his door was slowly opened. Thinking it was his mother again Mingyu didn't even bother to turn around. She would leave anyway if he didn't say anything. The door did close but Mingyu could clearly sense the presence of another person. Too nervous to turn around Mingyu just stared at the wall.

"I'm sorry." These words got Mingyu to freeze. Well it wasn't the words said but the voice that said them. He was inside his room, standing right there behind him. The deep voice he loved hearing, said those words. Mingyu didn't know why but they hurt. He didn't know what the reason behind those words were but it made him want to cry again. He turned his head a little so he could see the boy behind him. Wonwoo had not changed at all during those couple of days. He still had his oversized sweater on and his sad aura was still around him. Mingyu didn't want to face the wall anymore. He wanted to see Wonwoo fully. He wanted to see his beautiful face, his sharp eyes and his smile, which wasn't present at the moment. Mingyu let his legs fall on the floor when he turned around. He was still sitting on the bed but now he was facing Wonwoo. The boy seemed nervous but it was different kind of nervous than before.

"Why are you apologizing?" Mingyu asked with a quiet voice and lowered his gaze. He wanted to look at Wonwoo, he really did, but he was way too embarrassed to do so for longer than the five seconds he was able to. Wonwoo felt more confident than ever. He took a couple slow steps towards him until he was standing right in front of him. He was tilting his head slightly and looking at Mingyu who was sitting on the bed staring at his feet. Wonwoo crouched in front of him and tried to catch Mingyu's eyes.

"I am apologizing because I am too shy for my own good," he said with his deep voice. Wonwoo was trying to make Mingyu understand that he had done nothing wrong. Mingyu finally looked at him. His eyes were a bit red and puffy because of the couple of tears that had fallen on his cheeks. Such a sight made Wonwoo feel bad for not saying anything on that day Mingyu had confessed. He stood up again and noticed Mingyu's eyes followed him and didn't look at his feet again. Nervously biting his lip Wonwoo raised his hands and placed them on Mingyu's cheeks. It caused both of them to flush scarlet immediately but Wonwoo didn't back out.

"I-I have never done this before," he stuttered while slowly leaning in. Mingyu didn't even know what to think. He wanted to close his eyes but he was so afraid that it was all just a dream. His lips were slightly parted and his heart was beating faster than ever before. He closed his eyes when he really was sure that it was not a dream. His heart skipped a beat when he felt Wonwoo's soft lips on his own. Everything around them just disappeared. It was just the two of them and Mingyu was sure he was able to hear how fast Wonwoo's heart was beating. Slowly he wrapped his arms around Wonwoo's skinny body and that was the first time he actually was so close to him. The boy was even skinnier than he seemed but Mingyu didn't care at the moment. Wonwoo moved his lips so naturally Mingyu almost felt bad. The kiss was over faster than Mingyu actually thought. It had felt like hours even though it was only an awkward first kiss, which lasted for a minute or two. After Wonwoo pulled his head back a few inches Mingyu saw the blush on his face. They eyes met again and Mingyu couldn't hold himself back. His right hand found it's way at the back of Wonwoo's head and pulled him back. Wonwoo slid his own hands on Mingyu's shoulders this time. The second kiss was soft and shy, not as awkward as the first one and much more comfortable.

After that day everything changed. Wonwoo wanted to change for Mingyu. He really wanted to be more confident about himself and go out with him but Mingyu didn't push him. Now that he actually knew how Wonwoo was feeling he didn't care about it anymore. He was completely fine with just spending time with the boy and it made them both happy. They just spent their time sitting inside Wonwoo's room cuddling for hours. For some reason the fact that Wonwoo and Mingyu were getting serious with their relationship made Wonwoo's parents nervous. They always seemed so nervous to see Mingyu inside their house but the smile they saw on their son's face made them want to accept it.


Wonwoo looked ever so cute in his mint green sweater he loved to wear. He was sitting on his bed and covering his mouth with his left hand. His sleeves were covering his palms and behind his hand he was smiling like an idiot. Mingyu always knew how to make him smile. He had really gotten to know him but it still felt like there was something he didn't know. Wonwoo's silent chuckle got him smiling too. He sat next to Wonwoo and just pulled him closer immediately. Automatically Wonwoo wrapped his arms around Mingyu and pressed his head against his chest. Their lovey-dovey relationship had been going on for weeks and Mingyu felt like he wanted more. He was already so deep in love and Wonwoo had gotten even more brave thanks to him. He wanted to create memories. Carefully he laid Wonwoo down and gave his cheek a shy kiss. Wonwoo started playing with the fabric of his sweater just like he did every time he was nervous. Mingyu knew how to read him.

"I want you to be mine."

"I-I-I...D-do you mean t-that w-we should?"

"Yes I want to do it with you."

As shy as Wonwoo was he wanted the same thing. He had been afraid of it but he wanted to trust Mingyu. His trust was deep enough and he gave himself to his first love that night. Mingyu stayed over and made sure Wonwoo was feeling great every single second. Even after it, Mingyu made sure Wonwoo had nothing he was worried about. Neither of them regretted anything. It was what they both wanted and now they both belonged to each other now.


Wonwoo really bloomed like the most beautiful flower. The sad look had disappeared and it had been replaced by the never-ending smile. Even after a year Wonwoo was still blooming. Getting more beautiful every day. Mingyu didn't even notice the fact that he became skinnier and skinnier every day. Wonwoo's parent's seemed more worried whenever Mingyu came by and then became that day when Mingyu walked in on Wonwoo crying. That was a sight he had not seen in a long time. Wonwoo had learned to control his feelings and he didn't cry so easily anymore. It made Mingyu even more worried than usually. Not even a hug or comforting words were helping. Wonwoo didn't help him at all. He said nothing that might have told Mingyu what was wrong. He wanted to control his tears first. Wonwoo's hair had always felt so soft but now it almost felt like it was dead.

"We can't keep on doing this," Wonwoo sobbed. Mingyu didn't know if he should be angry, surprised or sad. He could only keep on hugging Wonwoo hoping it was all just a dream, but just like their first kiss it was not a dream. He wanted to ask why. He wanted to know what was the reason behind Wonwoo's wish to break up, but making sure that the boy was okay was his priority.


"We are moving away."

...

 

"That really broke my heart you know. You should have just told me the truth immediately, or, were you just so afraid that it would hurt me even more? You know I love you, don't you?" No one says a word. Only the wind is blowing as Mingyu chuckles a bit. It is a sad chuckle, which he is letting out only to cover his sadness. "I still do love you, believe it or not, and I always will. You are my flower and I know I am your only love too. After everything we went through I can't believe this was the reason why we had to break up. Even though you won't answer me I will still visit you every day," he says while holding in his tears. "I never wanted to say goodbye like this," he sobs silently as he lays the bouquet of white lilies in front of the gravestone. "You should have told me you were sick. I knew something was wrong," Mingyu swipes the tears away and looks at the name carved in the stone.

"I love you Jeon Wonwoo".



 

------------------

 

My first Meanie oneshot. I have yet to proof read this so if there are any typos or something else then don't worry. It will be fixed when I have the time. Thank you for reading!