01 / 02

Investigative Report

An investigatory report on Amber’s Manliness

 

By Eric Nam; 091114

 

People have always thought of Amber as a brave and manly girl but in this report, I’m pretty sure that your insights about her will be completely changed. I have been observing her for a month already and these are what I found out in the past month I spent on this research.

 

Amber is a 23 year old graphic designer who lives in an apartment complex at least two blocks away from our studio. She just moved in a few weeks ago and Amy lives on the apartment in front of hers. They both were childhood friends that haven’t met in years.

 

On day one, I was introduced to this girl named Amber by Amy, who has given me this task. I never really expected her to look like that. I never really expected her to look like a guy. I guess that this task would be hard. She looks like a guy; it might not be different with her actions she might definitely act as a guy too. Maybe she’s a lesbian or something along the lines of that. Maybe.

 

It was easy to get along with her though, she’s friendly and nice. I guess I wouldn’t have problems in getting to know her. The three of us spent the rest of the afternoon in the coffee shop we decided to meet at and shared stories and laughter. I have learned that she’s pretty shy around strangers so I guess she felt shy around me too.

 

She was pretty comfortable to be with too and I think that she’s really cute when she smiles. It somehow reminds me of a llama. I never really had an interest on llamas but I think that in the future, whenever I see one, it’ll remind me of her and her smiling face. Did I just say cute? Yes, she’s really cute and I guess if I put on a wig on her, she’d definitely look much cuter (and girlier).

 

When we were done chatting and fooling around, Amy instructed me to drive Amber home as she needs to take care of something at her studio—Her wedding studio.

 

And so, I did.

 

As I drove her to her house, I found out that Amber likes rock so much. Rock is really not my thing. I mean- I preferred ballads and those pop-py things but based on the way she tells me how she found interesting, I felt as if rock was interesting too. I would be lying if I said that I didn’t try to research about rock and listened to a few songs on youtube when I got home.

 

She seems to like those cute(-ly annoying) love songs too and even sang along to the lyrics. She’s got a beautiful voice. I guess she could be a singer if she’s not a graphic designer. I’m sure a lot of people would want to listen to her sing.

 

Well, if nobody agrees, I'd like to listen to her sing all day and I think I won't ever get tired of her voice in general.

 

She invited me to get inside her house for a quick cup of coffee when we arrived. I wanted so badly to stay for a while in her house before I go but my phone rang suddenly. It was Henry and he told me to come to the studio quick because of a problem.

 

I said goodbye and left quickly after the call. She seemed a little disappointed that time.

 

We’ve been constantly meeting and bumping into each other a few days after that. I guess we became close friends in an instant.

 

On day six, I got to enter her house this time. I found out that she really likes dogs. Actually, she has Chihuahuas named Jackjack and Gongzhu and calls them her “babies”.

 

No— she doesn’t just like dogs but animals in general because the moment she opened her TV, I’m pretty sure that it was on animal planet.

 

She blushed a little when I asked her if she likes watching animal documentaries. She did admit that she loves them and that she watches them frequently. After a while, she forgot all about how shy she was when I asked her about the animal documentaries and talked about the lemurs that she was watching last night and how cute they were.

 

I swear I saw her eyes sparkle as she spoke. Her usually low tone changed a pitch higher. That moment, I’m sure she was the purest person on earth.

 

God, This girl is really cute.

 

She

 

We both met with Amy again on day ten. This time, to talk about how this research is going. I didn’t really know what to say because I’m pretty sure that most of what I have observed wasn’t in any ways related to this matter.

 

When I was asked on what I have found out, I gave Amy a nervous laugh and most likely lied that I haven’t really seen anything feminine about her childhood friend in which earned a loud “liar” from Amy and said that there must be at least one thing feminine about her.

 

There are a lot, though. Like how she holds her mug with her pinky lifted up, how she pouts a little when she talks, how she likes animals a lot and that she immediately runs and screams at the mention of bugs. I was a little scared to tell her that because I might sound either like a stalker or an obsessed guy so I just kept those observations for myself.

 

Amy bought my excuses though, so everything went out well. But by the way Amy gives those teasing smiles and glances at me was quite bothering. It was like there is something else on her mind. Maybe something else that she has in store for this research. Whatever it is, I don’t know if ever I’d be pleased or not. I didn’t bother to ask her on what it is.

 

All I know is that right now, I need to have more focus in this report and on my music—which reminds me that I have a meeting with the guys at 7 tonight. We need to finish the song before the deadline or we’re dead meat.

 

I haven’t met Amber the next few days and I realized it was already day 15. Fifteen more days and this research would be over and I guess I won’t be meeting Amber as much after this thing.

 

It felt a little different that I haven’t met her and it bothered me a lot. I wondered on what happened to her but I have concluded that she might be busy and that I should not worry about it since Amy’s with her and I’m sure that she’d be able to take care of herself. After all, She’s a “manly man” as she tells me when she gets into an accident because of her clumsiness.

 

I shouldn’t think too much.

 

But damn. I think I really miss her right now and that’s definitely not right.

 

Is Amy sure that this is a research on how un- manly her childhood friend is or is this one of her new tricks to see me get embarrassed?

 

It’s already day Sixteen. I saw Amber going out of this specific van early in the morning and realized she went out on an outing somewhere in jeju with Amy with their friends named Min and Krystal whom I assume lives in the same apartment complex as theirs.

 

I really think she looks really good right now. Seeing her wear something this shirt that’s not as baggy as what she usually wears and those shorts that aren’t too long nor too short was new. I never saw Amber wear something like this.

 

Amy joked that I should take a picture ‘cause it would last much longer but I didn’t. I knew I would see her wearing something like this again. I know I will. I believe I will.

 

I have realized I haven’t really been typing what I have observed in this thing but instead, I think I have been writing something else.

 

I think I have been writing how I’m slowly starting to like her.

 

I pretty much have been off the whole afternoon in the studio. Henry and Gen must’ve noticed as well and sat down beside me with those teasing (and very annoying) looks as they asked me what was wrong.

 

So, I was forced to tell them about this experiment and how Amy is slowly torturing me with her cute childhood friend and how much I wanted to stop this experiment because I don’t really think it is something important (Even though I admit I’m enjoying seeing Amber all the time).

 

Now, I admit these two gives out pretty ty (and sometimes really erted) advices. This is why I never really told them any of my problems but this time they actually told me something decent.

 

To confess.

 

But I never really wanted to do it since I’m not even sure of my feelings for her. It's not yet even a month and I don't know her that well. It's not a wise move to just confess suddenly, right? Besides, she does not seem to be interested in any romantic... things.

 

I’m not even sure on whether this feeling is because I see her as a little sister and I worry for her or this is because she’s simply just overflowing with cuteness and because of her overflwing cuteness, I have completely been smitten by her.

 

Day twenty. Amy met up with us again. This time, she brought this tall guy named James over. I was pretty sure Amber was starting at him the whole time.

 

James and Amber seems to be in their own world the whole time and I badly wanted to tear them apart. Is this Jealousy? I don't know but I find them quite annoying, Very annoying.

 

I don’t know what’s wrong with me but every chance I could have, I would try to in between them and try keeping Amber away by trying to catch their attention and getting James into a conversation (which is full nonsense).

 

Amy just gave me a knowing, irritating look every single time I do something to stop them both from talking to each other and my failed attempt of trying to have Amber notice me.

 

I didn’t really get to talk to Amber since we entered because she was just too busy talking to that James guy and it frustrated me so much because I guess I secretly want all her attention just for me.

 

Wow. What am I even typing in here? I’m pretty sure Amy would laugh at me if she reads all of this.

 

But yes, eventually, I got irritated seeing them both and left suddenly.

 

I actually think it’s really childish of me that I did that thing. I mean- She’s not even mine and I want all her attention on me.

 

What if the James guy is her boyfriend?

 

What if she’s in love with someone?

 

I haven’t really thought of those things. I haven’t thought even once about those things.

 

I pretty much stayed in my pad from that moment on and I don’t even plan to go out.

 

I just... I want to think about the things that has happened since the day I met her.

 

It has been three days already. For some reasons, I just don’t feel like doing anything (standing up included). Lots of people kept on calling me since that day, Especially Amy and Amber. But I just want to be alone.

 

I just want to clear myself from all these thoughts and make sure that when I get back, I won’t be thinking about Amber anymore.

 

Yes.

 

I don’t want to think about Amber anymore.

 

But I’ve got six more days left ‘till I finish all this and avoid her.

 

Or I can just leave these papers on Amy’s studio and get a flight to somewhere isolated and live there forever.

 

So maybe I’ll just end it here.

 

It was honestly absurd that Amy have asked me to do this weird investigative report thing but I don't think I can continue anymore because I have lost inspiration in doing so.

 

The subject, Amber Liu, might look manly as you think but she’s just like any other woman. Behind her manly looks she’s got really feminine and adorable traits that would make men fall for her. Like any other woman, Amber has feelings and probably even has a boyfriend too.

 

I know that I wrote only a really, really embarrassing story of how I liked her and I guess you’ll be telling everyone in the whole world about it, Amy. Your friends, your friends’ friends, your neighbours, your future boyfriends, future husband and children even grandchildren.

 

But I learned one thing in this research. It’s not to judge a book by its cover. Because you will never find out how much of an awesome and amazing a person is if you don’t get to know about them.

 

I am Eric Nam and this is the end of my report.

 

--

 

I went to Amy's wedding studio the next day and handed her secretary the brown envelope containing the five pages of embarrassment in form of a “report”. She offered for me to stay and wait for Amy to come but I rejected it and lied about having an appointment today.

 

Before I can leave the room, I felt somebody hug me from behind. Amy?

 

“You’re dumb. Do you know how worried Amy and I was?”

 

Amber?

 

“You’ve been gone for three days, idiot.”

 

What is happening?

 

“I hate you.” She sniffed. Is she crying?

 

I did not know what to say and no matter how much I try to think of something to tell her, nothing seems to come out my mouth. I just felt so scared suddenly.

 

“I... I’m sorry”

 

“Do you know how worried I was? Do you know that everyday, I keep on going to your studio? That I keep on waiting for you those three days?”

 

“A...Amber...”

 

“You’re an idiot. I hate you. How dare you disappear after all that time we spent?”

 

“I...”

 

“After making me like you so much?”

 

“I... I like you too...”

 

“I ha—What did you just say?”

 

“I said like you too, Amber Liu!”

 

((“All this because of James?”

 

“But I really thought James is your boyfriend! I mean... I don’t like stealing someone else’s girlfriend, you know.” Eric frowned, his cheeks turning slightly red due to embarrassment.

 

“You’re being very cute, you know.”

 

“I’m not cute, I’m manly!”

 

“Dream on, cutie.”))

 


Hello. After a million years, I have updated with a better ending and I guess this is the best one? Stay tuned though, because there will definitely be a sequel. I was very busy with college and layout coding.

Twelve, my drabbles are now on draft and I am planning to delete it soon/ Why? Probably because I have the stories (most of them) put up in a tumblr blog. And still, it's a blog that I would like to keep private so I don't think that I will be giving you all the link.But es. Thank you for supporting my stories!