Cupids in action

Love Note

“Giving someone a piece of your soul is better than giving a piece of your heart. Because souls are eternal”

 

 

“Old man! Is it true that cupids exist?”

 

The wind coming from the west makes it hard for the two people traversing the steep road to make it on top of the hill. It was almost afternoon when they got to finish their work in the field that the two decided to spend a breather on where the setting of the sun can be seen the most.

“Ah is this young lad beside me already has his eyes on someone?” the old man, whose mouth had told tales and whose eyes had seen decades of change holds the answer of everyone who chose to be curious. No one ever said his name but he was called as Old Man.

“Hmn, not really, you know—it is just, I ask stupid questions sometimes,” Henry said, with eyes thinning into gentle slits, and mouth curving into an embarrassed grin. And this man young lad whom you may be questioning why he has a friend, whose age is triple of his, is the most curious of them all. Hence, he was stuck with this Old Man who in the town can only sate his curiosity.

“They exist,” the Old Man took out his canteen and gulped the clear water from it while Henry took his time to hear more of the reply. “They exist if you believe that they exist.”

“What??” Although bewildered, Henry cannot stop his self from believing that he just got the best answer.

“Just like love,” the Old Man continued, “It exists, but for those who don’t believe in it,”

 

The sun sets low in the far horizon, painting the town orange, its glow makes the air sweet, calm and warm- a sun-kissed one—

 

“It doesn’t exist. Love doesn’t exist for those who don’t believe in it.”

It took a minute before Henry could utter another question again.

“So where do they live?”

And so the man smiled, a playful one, a tricky yet playful one.

 

“In Eros.”

 

 

"Sora, look! That man's been checking you since he got here." Her friend whispered.

"Where?" She asked, whispering. Slightly feeling uncomfortable and flattered at the same time.

“The man on your right.." she answered and immediately she turned towards that man's direction only to be disappointed that he looked away, or maybe he wasn't looking on her way at all.

"Tss..  you son of a Liar." She cursed under her breath, a little upset.

 

----

 

“True love won't lie, but you won't know unless you give it a try. Cupid doesn't lie, but you won't know unless you give it a try.”

 

 

In a sea of clouds, a large round portal has been opened, eyes looked down and words were whispered. It is a normal day in St. Valentine’s chamber, where everyone is busy in their own mission – some are furnishing their arrows, some are exercising their wings and some are— “True love won't lie, but you won't know unless you give it a try. Cupid doesn't lie, but you won't know unless you give it a try.”

 

‘Yah, Sungmin. What are you doing?” Cupid Kyuhyun, who has been observing his partner for some time and decided that it is enough, Cupid Sungmin has been busy whispering the same mantra over and over again but only for Kyuhyun to realize the reason-  Sungmin is at it again. Pairing people, out of their own will, worst—out of their plans.

 

Yes, you read it right, Cupids plan too you know.

 

“Are you pairing people now because you think they look cute together? Yah! That is not—“ Kyuhyun shouted but was abruptly stopped when he heard the conversation that goes in the portal.

 

 

"Sora, look! That man's been checking you since he got here." Her friend whispered while nudging that Sora in the arm to totally get her attention.

 

"Where?" She asked, whispering as she slightly feelt uncomfortable and flattered at the same time.

 

"The man on your right.." the friend answered and immediately Sora turned towards the man's direction but only to be disappointed that he looked away, or maybe he wasn't looking on her way at all.

 

"Tss..  you son of a liar." She cursed under her breath, a little upset.

 

 

"Yoosh! Sora, here's your Romeo on the move- Leeteuk!" He wrote diligently, cheering on them from Eros.

 

"Yah shortie! Stop misjudging and misleading their love fate!" Kyuhyun grabbed his notebook and was to about to erase what the smaller wrote but then the former was quick to snatch it back.

The shorter one pouted and closed his notebook, keeping it safe inside his slightly large bag, “Keep your nose out of my business!”

Kyuhyun sighed. "You can't just connect them like that. What if he doesn't like her the way you initially thought?" And there. There. Their daily dose of argument started to heat up again.

"How would you know? At least let them give it a try right?" The smaller one argued- standing up, hands on each side as he flipped his blonde hair sideways. Totally unaware that what he did is a little dramatic and well…cute.

 

"Well, how would you know if their love for each other is for real if you're going to tie them like that?" Kyuhyun pointed out. "And who knows what they are really thinking? Maybe he's just looking at her way because he likes her friend or maybe he's checking on someone else and she's just blocking his sight, or worse, he's just checking her out because he envied her body or something." Kyuhyun explained though with a little carefulness in his voice as he is afraid that he will offend the other one’s way of reasoning.

But looking on the serious side, how on Eros’ was this midget ever promoted to Cupid’s position? Ugh.

"YAH!" Sungmin interrupted his thoughts by bellowing on him.

 

"You're too small for that big voice!"  Kyuhyun snapped back. However, in a second, he turned a bit serious – eyes focused on the smaller man- slowly taking its revolting form and chubby . Oh, that isn’t should be part of his line of sight but oh well. Maybe the reason that Sungmin got promoted to the Cupid position because his is a fit for a cherub? You know ….

 

"Sungmin, please take your job seriously. Don't just connect their strings carelessly just because you want it to or because they look good together. Remember that Human's Love is not based on that--"

 

"Do not try to educate me!" Sungmin squinted his eyes on Kyuhyun.

 

Kyuhyun then can’t help his self but to argue back especially now that Sungmin is looking at him as if he is the one doing countless idiotic decisions in their job.

"I can't help myself, you idiot!” Oh, that is a bit…harsh. “The last two pairs you tied is a fail. They end up hurting each other and--"

 

 

"Those are what we call as tests! Every couple has it and goes through it." You see, Sungmin has this habit of not letting Kyuhyun finish his sentence.

 

"Wow tests! It's been three years since thy are in that test yet nothing has changed. Yes, they might still be together but can't you see? None of them wants to stay. They were just forced to remain as husband and wife because of the red strings you attached. Because of the destiny you wrote! What's the point of forever when both of them got their own lover?" The other reasoned.

 

Sungmin could just bit his tongue, seeking for an answer to argue with the taller but found none. This time it seems like Kyuhyun is really making sense. But Sungmin has no qualms of losing in an argument because Cupid Sungmin is always right.

 

"How about you KyuPid? I haven't seen your pairs nor heard of anything successful." Sungmin crossed his arms while looking at Kyuhyun as he smugly pronounced the word, KYUpid.

 

And without any words, Kyuhyun just held his notebook a little tighter as he gazed down to…

 

 

 

"HANA!" The brown haired man smiled and ran towards the said man's side as soon as he saw him, and tripped a little.

 

The black haired smiled, "Be careful, Baozi."

 

"Oh yes! Hello. Sorry for being ill mannered." He greeted properly, smiling ear to ear as soon as he reached Hana's side, and patted his back.

 

"Where to again?" Hana asked, shyly.

 

"To Reika's house, they said we'll meet them there." The taller lead the way to the crowded area of downtown, offering his hand to Hana.

 

Even he was a bit hesitant, Hana still took Baozi's hand and followed the taller, blushing.

 

"By the way, have you eaten lunch?" Baozi asked.

 

Despite of his growling stomach, "yeah…" Hana lied.

 

---

 

 

 

"Stupid! It was your chance!" Cupid Kyuhyun kicked the fountain wall a little frustrated.

 

"Tsk." He walked back and forth still following the two with his gaze.

 

"Why don't you just write their name in the notebook and seal it with a tie?" Cupid Sungmin appeared out of nowhere and obviously a little happy and enthusiastic for Kyuhyun’s liking. The taller one could only let out a frustrated snicker.

 

Kyuhyun was about to leave when he heard Sungmin mumbled, “which one does he want to end up with whom?" The taller one looked shocked but yes, he has a reason because Cupid Sungmin is already playing with his feathered pen as he browses his Love Note, ready to pair and tie down the two that Kyuhyun has been on look out since forever.

 

"Hey midget! Don't try messing with the two or I'll drop you dead on Earth." Kyuhyun dangerously warned and walked away, leaving the teary eyed Cupid Sungmin behind.

 

“Why...I only wanted to help…”

 

--

 

 

 

It was yet another lovely day again in Eros. Everyone is merrily chatting with each other while some are busily yet happily looking after their pairs aside from Sungmin who is mumbling something to himself.

 

"Fail Pair again?" His best friend Cupid asked sitting beside him. Sungmin huffed and closed his Love Note as he scooted away from the said Cupid but not before rolling his eyes and ready to snap back. "Why do you guys always assume that it's a fail?" He bit his lips. "It might not be my couple y'know..."

 

"Well, let's see. Since St. Valentine gave you a right to write pairs on that notebook, none of your pairs really end up "happily ever after".” His best friend, Cupid Shindong used his fingers to quote in the air.

 

Again, another set of argue to come between these two Cupids who are likely born just to argue with each other.

"Well, as I said, this time it's not about my couple that I am worried about." Sungmin, to Shindong’s surprise, answered calmly.

 

"Then whose?" With a surprised mirth playing in his eyes, Shindong bemused at the shy and blushing that Sungmin gave before it proceeded to finally answer.

 

"Hm.. Kyuhyun's."

 

His revelation made his friend back up a little. "I didn't know your good friends with that snarky of a cupid." Shindong smiled teasingly.

 

"We're not.” Cupid Sungmn defended. “And we're not that close to be called friends. But I am just worried Shin. The other day, I saw him yelled frustratingly while he's observing his pairs. I thought I must do something to help." He bit his thumb as his other hand held his Love Note close to his chest.

 

"Old habits die hard, eh?" Shindong shook his head. "You're too kind to everyone Sungmin and too naive. Just let him do it, Sungminnie he might be just waiting for the right timing." Shindong said, picking the tall grass and played it with his lips, and laid on the grass.

 

"But waiting is just a waste of time." Sungmin tried to reason out. Because, honestly, why wait when you two will just end up together, right?

 

But his best friend, Shindong must be siding with Kyuhyun, for him to come up with that answer, "Believe me, his patience with his pairs leads him to best results so just wait…" his friend’s voice trailed a slowly by slowly as he lied down on the grass.

 

"You think so?"  Sungmin turned to Shindong's direction.


"Hmmmm" the latter answered,  eyes closed as he dozed off to dreamland.

"Well.." Sungmin sighed. Trying hard not to write their names on his notebook.


 

--

 

 

"Reika!! Happy Birthday!!!" The brown haired man named Baozi greeted his friend and pecked her cheek.

 

"Baobie! Thank you! Thank you for coming! I thought you already forgot about me and my Birthday!" She held his hand and hugged him.

 

"Duh? This is what friends are for!" He laughed messing with her short hair. "Hana and Tenka's here too."

 

"Hana?" She teasingly repeated and enunciated the latter's name.

 

"Shh. Shut up or I'll tackle you on the floor." He warned and started tickling his friend.

 

"Stop it Baozi!!!" She giggled, when suddenly…

 

"Happy Birthday Reika!!!!!" Both entered in her room at the same time only to be surprised as they witness Baozi is on top of their friend.

 

"Oh.. oh.. sorry.." Tenka was the first one to recover and retreated the room as soon as possible, dragging Hana who is a little dazed and speechless.


 

--



 

"Hmmmm.. isn't it time yet?" Sungmin asked himself. "It's been a week and they really look good together." He continued while hiding his lips behind his hand as he stifled a laugh that sounded more like as a giggle.

 

"I told you don't judge a couple by the way they act or look. It should be on how they feel for each other." His bestfriend, Cupid Shindong interrupted.

 

"But Shindonggie, see? They look happy together, ain't that enough? I wonder if I should give it a try." This time, his feathered pen is already whipped out from his lap and his Love Note has been already opened where his last markings has been crossed out.

 

"If you're ready to welcome Death Minnie, then feel free." Shindong sarcastically answered and sat on the edge of the fountain wall. "Let Kyuhyun do his work, seriously why do you want to help that Cupid."

 

"Well, we could just erase it if we'll notice if they don't like each other." Sungmin answered sheepishly, and for the reason he broke the record of the most stubborn Cupid ever. "I'm sure Kyuhyun will be happy. He wants them to end up together anyway…" he said as he search for an empty page in his notebook where he knows Kyuhyun will not be able to see it if ever the mentioned Cupid would do something to take it back.

 

"Yes, you can erase it but even after you broke the strings you can't erase how you altered their relationship." Shindong tried to explain but it is already late when he saw sungmin wrote the names stealthily on his Love Note.

 

“Oh….well, I tried to stop you..." The only thing that Shindong was able to muster.

 

"Shh.. I'll show this to Kyuhyun once we see each other again, then he'll be happy. And he won't be mad at me ever again. And he'll be thankful that I helped him.” Cupid Sungmin answered a bit enthusiastically, as if he really did something trivial and helpful that Kyuhyun won’t ever say no to it.

 

"I'd be thankful for what midget?" Kyuhyun appeared from behind, hands inside his pocket.

 

 

Oh just speaking of….

 

"Kyuhyun! I swear to all the cupids in here. I tried to stop him." And just when the other Cupid appeared, Shindong was immediately on his feet. He jumped off from where he was comfortably seated and went to Kyuhyun’s side. Seeing Shindong and hearing what he said, Kyuhyun suddenly felt nervous and immediately whipped his head to Sungmin’s side because for sure, this midget did something that is most certainly would not make him feel amused.

"Oh! Cool! You're here!" Sungmin greeted Kyuhyun as he skipped merrily to where the two Cupids were standing. "I was supposed to look for you and show you my little surprise."


Kyuhyun tried to hide his nervousness but he really feels like this Sungmin did something really fishy for Shindong to act that way. "So what is it, Midget?"

"Why do you keep on calling me that?" Sungmin stomped.

 

"What do you want me to call you? Giant?" Kyuhyun incredulously asked and Sungmin could only pout, again.

 

"Hmmmmp! At least thank me for this one." The pout stretched into a smile and Kyuhyun swore he really feels like something worse is bound to happen.

 

"Tada!!!!" All smiles, Sungmin showed him his notebook and started to skip around.

 

 "I was really worried when I heard you yelled frustratingly last week, so I thought about helping you. It was really hard at first- finding your couple but thankfully Cupid Heechul told me that you've been watching over those four cosplayers for a while now.”

 

Kyuhyun, who was being observed from Shindong from the side, was slowly trying to understand everything that Cupid Sungmin has been telling him. It did not help him when Sungmin is practically jumping and skipping around.

 

 

“I did what you told me. I waited for them to get along and tested them and yep! Just 5 minutes ago, I wrote their name down."  Sungmin stopped in front of Kyuhyun who is now glaring daggers on him.

 

"So... was ... I... good?"

 

Sungmin blinked carefully as he emphasized each word and within seconds he was cornered by the pole and heard Kyuhyun yelled.

 

"The is wrong with you, Sungmin??!!"


 

_______________________________

|                             |                               |

|     Baozi               |                               |

|             ♡              |                               |

|             Tenka       |                               |

|                             |            Hana           |

|                             |            ♡                 |

|                             |          Reika             |

|                             |                                |

-------------------------------------------------------

 



 

--

 

 

 

Massaging his temples, St. Valentine shook his head trying not to blow the blame on them that his once beautiful garden is now a complete mess.

 

"What's  up with the two of you-- again?"


 

"Papa, this midget of a cupid did it again. Tssk. Overdoing his job by getting on someone's way. He's messing up with the humans again with his super power matchy notebook." Cupid Kyuhyun was the first to complain.

 

"But papa, I was just helping him. He looked so frustrated the other week, so I thought I should help, as a cupid too." Cupid Sungmin defended in a small voice.

 

"Well you could actually help by staying away from me and from my pairs." Kyuhyun glared. His once carefree face is now marred by angry lines and frustrations.

 

"But I did what you advised me to do. I waited, tested them and--"

 

"And for how long did you wait? Do you think three days is enough?"

 

"That... because I always think time waiting is just the same as time wasted.

 

"That's the point in love! Waiting and to wait." Kyuhyun heaved a lungful of breath after he realized that he has been holding his breath for so long out of anger. But before Sungmin could even reply, Kyuhyun dole out another set of words to the other cupid, "Well…that's not really the problem. The problem is you mismatch my couple. Baozi is not supposed to be with Tenka! And Hana with Reika."

 

"So is it the other way?" Sungmin innocently asked.


 

"Hell no! It's supposed to be Baozi and Hana!" Nope! Kyuhyun got no chill.

 

"Oh.." Sungmin reacted dumbly.  "Wait .. what?aren't they both guys?" the smaller Cupid  looked at the Kyuhyun scandalously as if he would not allow a man to fall in love with another man, or at least that is what he thought. For a man is just for a woman right?

 

"Who cares if they're both men? Love is still Love." Kyuhyun replied albeit the firmness in his voice, he knows that he is not really confident with his answer. He just knows that Humans are free to love whoever they want no matter what is the gender but he also knows that in the Human World this is considered as just a unscrupulous behaviour. A sickness!

 

"But men are supposed to be just for women." Sungmin countered not minding if St. Valentine and Shindong could see the banter that is going on in between the two of them.

 

"What? So you mean to yell me that you will write and match every man and woman in the world because they are supposed to be together?” The look on Kyuhyun’s face cannot be painted same with Sungmin whose face is contorted in a deepest confusion.

 

“Wow Sungmin, you're a Cupid but you believe in such ancient logic. Did you forget that we exist because of their Love? Not because of their gender?" Kyuhyun rolled his eyes. "As Cupids, we should be the first ones to be open about this. Who cares about the gender? As long as it is Love and they are in love, you can tie them together."

Cupid Kyuhyun said them in one breathe. So hurriedly said that as if he was slower in a second, his words would die down in his tongue and never again would be heard, because no matter how much Sungmin is Kyuhyun believed that the cute Cupid could still make sense on what he is trying to say.

But really, Kyuhyun is so trusting. He must have forgotten that Cupid Sungmin is the most stubborn of them all.

Seeing the dilemma that occurs in between the two of his Cupids, St. Valentine decided that he cannot take it anymore. He also realized that Cupid Sungmin has little knowledge about Love and Cupid Kyuhyun is too matured and advanced in comparison with the current batch of Cupids. So just like everyone else who failed to understand the true meaning of Love…they will be sent on a mission.

“Hey you two!” St. Valentine called.

“Yes, papa!” the two answered simultaneously.

“Come here,” if you are going to look closely to the smile playing on the lips of St. Valentine, you could say that there are reasons why Cupids are naughty, oh because well their papa is naughty too.

“I..” he put his finger on his chin as if he is thinking of something the slowly he looked down on the two cupids who are kneeling in front of him, “thought of something that would challenge the both of you.”

“What is that papa?” Cupid Sungmin answered with his doe eyes sparkling wide, and his chubby fingers curling excitedly around his Love Note.

“The two of you will find out what Love really is—“

“That’s easy!” Sungmin interrupted as he looked at Kyuhyun who rolled his eyes on him as response.

“Oh right, now it is set. So the two of you please hold each other’s hand?”

Although Sungmin is curious as to why, he held out his hand to Kyuhyun who accepted it hesitantly and just when the exact moment they did it, a force them down, wind hurdled around them and a light enveloped both of their hands as they scream their heart out.

St. Valentine looked down on the portal as he stifled a laugh.

 

“The two of you will find out what Love really is … in the Human World well as Humans.“

 

 

 

 

a/n: this is dramatically long, so this will be divided in two! Hi I miss you guys^^ Please tell me what do you think of this fic. Let us give Jaci a big clap clap for this plot and storyline!