Mental Takeover

Dumb Dumb

“Irene, did you see her?”

I rubbed my eyes and looked over at my friend, her plump lips stretched into a conspiratorial smile. I sighed, not quite awake enough for Joy’s silly gossip. “Did I see who?”

“The new girl. She’s supposed to be in our class. Is she here? Did you see her?”

“No, I didn’t notice anyone new. Why do you care so—“

Joy interrupted me by jabbing me in the side with her pencil. I shot her a look then followed her gaze to the front of the room and inhaled sharply. Just walking in was a pretty, dark-haired girl about my height. I looked away and tried to smother the fluttering in my stomach.

"There she is, Irene. See her?"

Boy, did I see her.

 


 

I walked in the front door and called for my parents. No answer. I wandered into the kitchen, sliding my backpack onto the table and grabbing a bottle of water from the fridge. I wondered where my parents had gone. In the week since Wendy had joined our class I hadn’t been able to focus. That was her name: Wendy. It sounded somehow magical to me. Nymph-like.

I shook my head, tried to concentrate. My mother had told me that morning that she and dad had plans for tonight, but I couldn’t remember for the life of me what she had said to me. I must have been half-asleep.

I took two textbooks out of my bag, glancing between them. I opened my Algebra II book, flipping to a random page. I stared for a few seconds. Page number. I needed the page number. I opened my planner to the right date. Blank. I sighed and reached for my phone, texted Joy.

Irene: alg page #s?

Joy: what, miss forget to write in her agenda today?

Irene: just give me the numbers please

Joy: alright alright grouchy. 411-413 happy?

Irene: thank u

I flipped to the right page and took a breath, ready to get to work.

 


 

When I heard the front door open, I was hunched over my algebra work with my head in my hands, muttering numbers to myself. My mom walked in, turning the lights on.

“Rene? What are you doing in the dark?”

I blinked and looked out the window. I hadn’t realized it had gotten so late. “What time is it?”

“Almost nine o’clock.”

I raised my eyebrows. I’d been working on this assignment for nearly five hours.

“What did you have for dinner?” my mom asked.

“Uh... nothing.”

“Irene! You have to eat!”

“I know, Mom. I just lost track of time.”

 


 

I turned over on my right side. A few seconds later, I was on my back. I straightened my legs, turning onto my left side. I tried to stay as still as possible. I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to force myself to sleep. I flopped onto my back, exhaling loudly. I opened my eyes and glanced at my alarm clock. It read, in big pink numbers: 1:26. I stared at the ceiling. I couldn’t stop thinking about Wendy. I’d never even talked to the girl but she was on my mind all the time. No matter what I was doing, something would remind me of her and I’d get distracted. I couldn’t concentrate on my schoolwork or what people were saying to me. I couldn’t sleep. I felt like I was going crazy over a girl who’d never even looked my way.