Of Pickup Lines and Pizza

Of Pickup Lines and Pizza

It was 2015 when Young Ran, a sixteen year old girl was watching Weekly Idol on the sofa in her living room. “Oh My God!” she shrieked, alternating with laughter. In fact, she seems like she didn’t even know how to react when her-then favourite boy band, Bangtan Sonyeodan (BTS) was asked to act like a cringe boyfriend by the two MCs.

“What the hell…” came from behind, and Young Ran turned around so fast that her neck cramped. It was Kwon, her older brother’s friend, who usually come over to her house to play WoW. Boys.

“Don’t shock me like that!” she shrieked, again. Well, our Young Ran is grumpy, especially when she was in the middle of doing something she likes.

Kwon ignored her before continuing, “And you spend your time watching these skinny guys? Unbelievable,” he shook his head.

“Hey, they are not skinny guys!,” Young Ran protested. “They are talented bunch of kids, they make their own music, Suga, more specifically, wrote the lyrics by his own, their dance are really good an it’s difficult, plus all the members are charming and extremely good-looking! And I’ll throw in…”

“Now, now kiddo,” Kwon interrupted. “Don’t you said you like EXO before? And Infinite before that? How about that One Direction dude-“”It’s Niall!” that you claimed to be your one on only baby boo? And I remember on why you do so well on your exam; just to go to that short Bieber concert,” he sneered.

“Justin is not short,” Young Ran objected although it was a fact. “He’s a cool boyfriend who rented the entire theater to watch Titanic with Selena, and it was so romantic!”

“Yeah right,” he said grudgingly, “everybody know he’s a douchebag who changes girlfriend every week. And he was using the money that your dad works so hard to earn,” he said in a matter-of-factly voice. Young Ran sulked. While she was in a good terms with her older brother’s group of friends who enjoy hanging out in their house for a video game session, Kwon seems to enjoy to the most on daily basis. Her brother, who spoiled her like a princess since it was only the two of them, only laughed when she reported about Kwon and his series of teasing.

Young Ran decided to ignore the older guy and return to the screen, “ Oh no,” she sighed. “Had you not interrupted then I don’t have to replay that part,” she nagged.

“Wow, so cheesy,” said Kwon as he observed after some time. “If you miss me come to me anytime because I miss you. Keep your 4th finger empty because I will fill it up. It’s the first time that I like someone so much even if the world is filled with enemies, we will still protect the woman we love, even so you’re my woman,” He turned to Young Ran, who was seeing him with a weird expression. “What?”

“I didn’t know you can memorize very well,” she said. “And your tone are really monotonous,” she added, after realizing that she accidentally complimenting him.

“Of course, this is just basic,” he boasted causing the girl to pout, ”but don’t tell me that you’re attracted to guys who spit out nonsense like this?”

Unknowingly, Young Ran smiled. Dreamily. “Well, if it’s Bangtan, I’ll accept them,”

“Hey that’s unfair!,” Kwon said, his eyes were about to get out from their sockets.

“What’s unfair?” Young Ran asked, looking blur.

The guy took a deep breath, after muttering “I can’t believe I’m doing this,”, and kneeled down behind the sofa so that their eye level will be the same.  He was looking straight into her eyes, as if it was a knife piercing into it, and she didn’t realize that her cheeks turned into shades of pink. Thanks to her fair skin.

“Since I saw you, I’m living in the water. Can you make me breathe again? By being my love?”

“No,” Young Ran shook her head, she started to have goosebumps.

“They say it must be love when two person thinks about it at the same time. So did you think of me everyday? Because I am thinking about you too,”

“No,” Young Ran still shook her head, getting more rigorous this time. Unknown to her, Kwon was battling to puke and laugh.

“Does it ever hurt? When you fall from heaven? Don't worry, you are safe in my arms,”

It was getting crazier that her heart beat faster than normal. Is it her or the lines are indeed too much for a teasing?

“You know who is the person I’m in love with? It’s the first word of the first sentence,”

“STOPPP!!!” she screamed, while he rolled on the floor, laughing with hands on his stomach.

“Oh my god! Lee Kwon! You are so cheesy! Ewwww!!!!” she burst out to the still on-the-floor Kwon.

“How was it? It’s even better than the guy in the pink shirt right?” Kwon was struggling to breath, but nonetheless, he still managed to wink at her.

“Yeah right,” Young Ran rolled her eyes. “ I’m still having goosebumps here! And you make me cringe with your acting!” That, and my heart….

“Yah Kwon-ah! The rider’s called. Get the pizza!” a voice echoed from upstairs.

“Coming!” he shouted back, getting on his feet and rushed to the front door, only coming back with four boxes of pizza, three paper bags of chicken wings and a bowl of carbonara.

“Smells good,” Young Ran turned her head as he headed upstairs, only to admire the presence of foods.

“I won’t give it to you,” he smirked.

“Whatever, I don’t want it either,” she said, but her face was saying otherwise. She turned to her laptop for another video and got engrossed in it.

Not until someone placed a bowl of carbonara and one paper bag filled with chicken wings right beside her.

“Here,” Kwon said, looking somewhere else. “You can’t cook anyway, so your brother asked me to give these to you…”

The girl’s face lit up, casually shouting “Thank you brother!”, put aside her laptop and started to dig in. Wan left to bring the rest upstairs.

He reach upstairs, only to bump into his bestfriend, a.k.a Young Ran’s’s older brother.

“Dude,” he started. “ I don’t recall an extra serving of chicken wings or carbonara…”

His bestfriend smiled mysteriously while entering the room to join the others, leaving the brother alone. “I knew that you were spying on us all along,” he muttered.

“Well dude, I’m not going to let my little sis in a relationship so early,” he said as he watched Kwon’s back, “but maybe in ten years,”.