Happily Ever After, Again

Happily Ever After, Again

"Sehun, someone's here to see you."

Sehun looks up from his backpack, hands just put the last book into it, and sees his little sister standing by the door, a foot tapping impatiently. Whispers reach his ears and he zips the bag, slings it on his shoulder and heads toward the door as he snaps his head at the murmurs, glaring at his own classmates, giving the touch-her-and-you-die look.

"Oppa, hurry up, will you?"

Sehun sighs as he faces the younger. He had told her more than a million times not to come to his class but since she is more like their Papa, words just don't reach her sometimes. "What?"

Sophia taps her watch, showing it to her older brother. "We need to go right now. We need to settle 'that' quickly."

"I don't think it's a very good idea. I mean, we don't know..."

"We can think later. Let's go already."

Sehun watches as Sophia speedwalking to the stairs and disappears behind the walls, before heavily lifting his feet to follow his little sister. He had planned to watch that new movie that came out today since last week but two days ago, that 'thing' happened which, by some magic led yesterday's 'other' thing happened which led him to where he is now, behind a big tree at the park near their house with his little sister that is rummaging through her bag. "Sophi..."

"Here it is!"

Sehun sighs at the sight of the 'thing' inside Sophia's palm. He just nod lazily as his little sister shoves that 'thing' to his face.

"Are you ready, oppa?"

"No, I am not."

Sophia huffs, hitting her older brother on his arm. "Why aren't you excited to do this? Don't you love Papa and Mama?"

"I do, but I think Papa and Mama can settle what they are having by themselves. I don't think we should meddle and I still don't believe that 'thing'!" Sehun points at the sundial Sophia is holding. "What kind of time travel using sundial?!"

Sophia rolls her eyes. She doesn't know why Sehun is so skeptical. The sundial in her hand will let them travel through time and they can save their parents' marriage. Papa and Mama still think Sehun and her don't know about the fight they had two days ago but she was there, at the front door, hand inches from the doorknob, as she heard yelling coming from both of them.

"Sophia, let's go home."

Sophia shakes her head, hooking an arm on her brother's elbow and locks it tightly. It is not like their parents never had a disagreement before but they always try not to fight in front of her and Sehun, that day included, because they weren't supposed to be there at that time. Sehun would come home in the evening after his dance practice and she already told them about going to the mall after school but the homeroom teacher had something to discuss with her and she was too tired to go after that. "We are going to save Papa and Mama's marriage!"

Sehun sighs in defeat as Sophia fumbles with the sundial. His dance practice was cancelled that day and the shock look on Sophia's face when she turned around puzzled him before he being dragged to this park and told him everything. Their parents rarely fight but even when they did, it would settled on the same day but not this time. He couldn't believe his eyes when his Papa just left for work without kissing his Mama goodbye and not finishing his breakfast, two days in a row.

"Oppa, touch it." Sophia juts out her lips, pointing at the sundial.

"I don't want to."

"That man said you need to touch it to make it work. So touch it!"

Sehun eyes his little sister. "'That man'. Who exactly is he? How come you trust him blindly without having any suspicion? Suddenly giving you this..." He airquotes. "...time machine..."

"Oppa, I already told you. He..."

"...you met him in your dream and you told him about what happened with Papa and Mama and he consoled you and patted you on your shoulder and then he told you about the sundial which you saw him putting it in your desk drawer and it was really there when you opened the drawer this morning."

Sophia smiles, nodding. "Then, what are you waiting for? Touch it already."

"Sophia..."

"Sehun oppa!"

Sehun sighs heavily, a finger touching very slightly the sundial. "Why do I love you so much?"

 

 

 

+ + + + +

 

 

 

"Look, oppa! It's that cafe! Oh! That bookstore too! All look so brand new! Let's go check it out!"

Sehun manages to grab Sophia's wrist and pulls her to his side. "Aren't you forgetting something?"

Sophia tilts her head in wonder. "I don't think so. Did I?"

"Our purpose!" Sehun senses the look the passersby are giving him as they are standing in the middle of a sidewalk and pushes Sophia from behind, forcing her to move again. "Papa and Mama! Did you forget about them? You were the one that wanted to save their marriage but we have been walking around for the past half an hour and we still haven't met them! Where are they exactly?!"

Sophia blinks. "Right, right. Papa and Mama. I totally remember now. That ice-cream shop where the tattoo parlor is supposed to be totally isn't making me angry. How dare they replaced ice-cream with tattoo? I am totally fine with it."

Sehun stares at the ice-cream shop across the road and turns back to his little sister. "We will stop by after we settle everything." He sees Sophia's eyes gleaming while looking at him. "So, let's settle this already."

Sophia nods eagerly, both hands clutch tightly against her chest. Just leave to her older brother to know her weaknesses.

"So, how are we going to do this?"

Sophia looks around. Their Papa and Mama lived in the same neighborhood they are now living since back then so most of their dates were around the town. And from their fight two days ago, something about a bakery came up where they had their last big fight before they got married. "Oppa, we need to find a bakery."

Sehun inhales and scans his surrounding, smiling at the familiar yet strange feeling when the shops and places he sees almost everyday look so different and new. "There." He points at the shop that is at the end of the road. It's a jewellery shop now in their time. He follows behind as Sophia starts to walk.

"Oppa, look!" Sophia stops her trek and pulls her older brother to the side, hiding behind a street lamp that doesn't really hide two tall teenages and locks her eyes at the two familiar figures that just come out from the bakery. "Papa and Mama."

Sehun pulls down Sophia's hand that is pointing obviously across the street and focuses at the couple that is now right in front of the bakery, both just standing there with some distance between them while looking at each other straight in the face. He smiles. They look so young. "What are they doing?"

Sophia squints her eyes, trying to get a better look at her parents that finally start talking. "I can't read their lips. Oppa, let's get closer."

"Don't. They will notice us." Sehun blinks. "Wait. You can read lips?" He stares at his younger sister. "Since when?"

"Last week. The detective in that new detective drama looked so cool doing it so I've been practicing by myself." Sophia turns to her older brother. "Oh. You should tell Papa and Mama about you crush on that new transfer kid in your class."

Sehun's eyes widen. "What?! How did you..."

"I read your lips while your were on the phone the other day."

"I only mentioned it that one time! And no! I said 'cute', not 'crush'. You should practice more."

Sophia scoffs. "Same difference, oppa. But really, we should... Mama!"

Sehun turns back to the bakery and sees their Mama walking away from their Papa that is still standing in front of the shop. Even from their distance, he can see clearly the angry expression on their Papa's face. "What happened?"

"I don't know. I couldn't read any... Papa, not that way! Where are you going? Mama..."

Sehun watches their Papa heading toward the opposite direction from their Mama and he looks at Sophia. Her hands are gripping tightly on his arm and they are trembling slightly.

"Oppa..." Sophia blinks and she can feel her cheeks wet before Sehun's warm hand wiping the tears away, smiling at her. "Are they... did they broke up? What... about us? I will never meet you..."

"Hey, don't worry. Take a deep breath first."

Sophia nods, inhaling deeply and breaths out. She lets Sehun brushing off the hair strands that are poking her eyes.

"If you remember, they mentioned this during their fight, right?" Sehun gets a nod. "And we are still here, aren't we?" He smiles as a whimper comes with another nod. "So the fight was supposed to happen. Though I think it would have been better if we arrived earlier because then we could actually prevent the fight..."

Sophia chokes. "My fault! We did arrived early but... but... I..."

"Hey, hey, calm down." Sehun hugs his little sister that start to wail, muffling the choked sobs with his shirt, hand rubbing her back up and down. "That went wrong. What I meant to say was, maybe we can keep an eye on them, making sure that they get back together. Hm? How is that?"

Sophia looks up, wiping her nose with her sleeve and pulls away from her older brother. "Oppa..."

"We can't change anything now. The fight already happened so the future will be the same as before we came here..."

Sophia purses her lips. That means their Papa and Mama are still giving each other cold shoulders. "We went back to the past for nothing... Papa and Mama are still fighting..."

"Not for nothing." Sehun smiles at Sophia. "We can follow them and see how they get back together. Then we can use the same way and help them reconcile after we go back to the future."

Sophia's eyes widen and lunges herself forward, trapping her older brother in a tight hug. She doesn't know how Sehun does it but the older always manage to turn her mistakes into something useful. "Sehun oppa, you are a genius!"

"Of course I am." Sehun caresses Sophia's soft locks. His little sister is always full with confidence, making her look mature than her age, but times like this he is reminded that she is still his little sister, still the same cute fluff ball he met for the first time many years ago.

"So..." Sophia lifts her chin, staring at her older brother. "...you go and follow Mama and I'm with Papa. Then we meet at the ice-cream shop."

Sehun lets go of the small frame of little sister, eyebrows furrow in confusion. "Shouldn't you go to Mama?"

Sophia rolls her eyes. "Oppa, we both know you are Mama's favorite." She forces a smile at Sehun. Her older brother thinks she didn't know about the expensive wallet their Mama bough him but she does. Their Mama totally spoiled her older brother.

"You are right. Just like you are Papa's." Sehun casts his sight down at Sophia's hand. Three weeks ago, that shiny watch on the thin wrist was suddenly there went she came home after their Papa picked her up at her piano lesson when she clearly didn't have one before she left home.

"Let's go!"

Sehun smiles knowingly. "Let's."

 

 

 

+ + + + +

 

 

 

"Hey, sorry. Did you wait long?" Sehun smiles down at his Mama, doesn't miss the confuse look on his face before turning to the male that is standing in front of his Mama. "And, who are you? What do you want from my friend?"

"Ah, no... I thought... I... I'll be going now..."

He sends the male away with a smile, waving at him. He was hiding behind a tree after finding his Mama at the same park he and Sophia were moments ago when that male suddenly appeared out of nowhere and was clearly trying to flirt with his Mama. Not in a million years would he allow something like that happen when he is around.

"Thank you."

Sehun looks down and he can feel he is slowly melting. His Mama is smiling at him with that innocent smile and his knees are giving away. "No... no problem. I saw you look uncomfortable so I just..." He notices how puffy and red his Mama's eyes are. How dare his Papa making his Mama cry like this. "May I sit here?" He receives a nod and takes a seat beside his Mama on the bench, taking out the hankerchief from his pocket. "Here."

"Ah, thank you."

He smiles, looking at his Mama. How can someone looks so beautiful and doesn't change after so many years?

"You are lucky, you know."

"I am?"

"I rarely cry, even when I was little. So my parents said whoever saw me cry will have good luck for the rest of their life."

Sehun smiles. He remembers his grandparents told him something like that. He sees his Mama taking a deep breath. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"Hm... where do I start..."

He stares at his Mama. His parents never really talk about sad things and he only knew they had a big fight like this when Sophia told him about what she had heard. Their Papa and Mama always look so happy.

"He wanted to elope with me."

Sehun blinks. "Elope?!"

"And I agreed."

He gasps. "You agreed, Mama?! Are you crazy?!"

"What... did you just... called me?"

Sehun cups his mouth, shaking his head at his Mama that is staring at him weirdly. He almost blows his cover. He smiles, gesturing his Mama to continue.

"I love him and he loves me but..."

"But?"

"His parents dislike me and my parents dislike him so... elope seemed the only way for us to get married."

Sehun blinks repeatedly, trying to digest everything he just heard. Both sides of his grandparents hated each other? But they looked so friendly last weekend when they had their big family dinner.

"But today, he said he doesn't love me anymore and we should break up."

 

 

 

+ + + + +

 

 

 

Sophia's eyes widen. "You said that?! Why in the world did you say that?! What about your elope plan?!" She pushes away her Papa's hand that is cupping . They are in a family restaurant and 'elope' is kind of a taboo word here but still, her Papa is stupid. "You said you love him!"

"I do."

"Then, why did you break up with him?! Have you lost your mind?!"

"Can you keep it down, please? People are staring at us."

Sophia looks around and finds the other customers are looking at them. She takes a deep breath and fixes her gaze at her Papa. "Okay. Now, tell me why did you say that even though you still love him."

"I... his parents said they will send him away if we keep seeing each other."

"Grandpa said that?!" She purses his lips quickly, realizing her mistake. That was her fifth slip ups and her Papa is starting to look at her suspiciously. But really, he can't blame her. Even Sehun that always so careful will slip up hearing something this shocking. "Then?"

"So... I rather let him go then not be able to see him at all. I... I just... I love him so much..."

Sophia stares at her Papa that look so heartbroken. This is the first time she ever saw her Papa like this. Her Papa is always so playful that it never occur to her that he had experienced something like this.

"I... I hope he will be happy..."

"How can he? You are not with him." She stares straight at her Papa. She is sorry for what she about to say but she just have to say it. "You are stupid. Why do you think he agreed to elope with you? Because you will be there with him."

"But..."

Sophia scoffs. "Please. Stop wasting time already. I know you are going to get him back eventually so why not now?" She ignores the blank look on her Papa's face. Like Sehun says, they are still here so their Papa and Mama will be together somehow but they doesn't know when. As long as she is still here, she should push and just get it over with.

"You... who are you?"

"Do you really want to know?" She smirks. "Then, go find him, and then kiss him your apologize kisses, and then get married, elope or not, and only after that you will know who I am. Oh! And my older brother too."

"Older brother?"

Sophia wiggles her eyebrows. "Yes. We are the most beautiful and handsome children our parents could ever have. You and him should get one... I mean two!" She holds out two fingers. "Two. Two are enough, okay? Okay." She notices the small smile on her Papa's face. It is working.

"He always wanted two kids..."

 

 

 

+ + + + +

 

 

 

"Wait! What... Papa! Where are..."

"Sophia... you... are... crushing... me..."

Sophia looks down at the voice and sees her older brother underneath her, his face is buried on the grass. "Oppa!" She gets on her feet and grabs Sehun by the arm, helping him to stand.

"Thank you."

"What were you doing down there?"

Sehun glances at his little sister between his bangs, hands busy brushing off the grass and dirt on his clothes. "Well, what were you doing sitting on me?" He straightens himself, eyes fix at the younger. "I was with Mama one second and the next, I was kissing the earth with you on my back." He scans their surrounding. "We are back at the park."

"And in our time too." Sophia waves as one of her friends spots her from across the road. She turns to Sehun. "How did we end up back? I was still talking to Papa when suddenly I am not anymore. I want to see how they make up." She looks at her hands. "The sundial is gone."

Sehun sighs. He wants to see that too because from Sophia's words, they both still haven't figure out how to stop the fight. "Your dream friend has some explaining to do." He grabs both their backpack and hands Sophia hers. "Let's go home. Maybe..."

"No!" Sophia stomps her feet, dragging herself toward the bench not far from them, ignoring the grunts from her older brother. She takes a seat and crosses her arms against her chest. "I am not going home until I figure out something to help them or until they stop fighting! Whichever comes first!"

Sehun plops down next to his younger sister and puts his bag on the ground. When Sophia is acting like this, he doesn't really have a choice but to wait with her, until 'whichever comes first' come. He leans back, staring at the sky that is turning into orange.

"Papa and Mama never fight like this..."

Sehun tilts his head to look at the younger.

"What if they never..."

"Sophia..."

Sophia purses her lips. "Oppa, I..." She cups her face. "...why can't I think of anything to help them... I am so useless..."

"Hey, don't say that." Sehun supports Sophia's back, a hand holding her shoulder and pulls his little sister into a hug. He can hear small sniffing and shuts his eyes, gently swaying the younger side to side. Other people might say Sophia is exaggerating but to be honest, he is kinda of scare too. A friend's parents separated not too long ago and it was so suddenly that his friemd didn't even know his parents were facing problems. And he and Sophia didn't supposed to know about their parents' fight either but they do. And it feels even scarier.

"Sehun, Sophia, what are you guys doing here?"

Sehun's eyes snap open at the voice and relief washes all over his body at the sight of the two people he loves the most. His hold on Sophia loosens and watches as his little sister throwing herself at their Mama, doesn't miss the furrowed eyebrows on their Papa.

"Mama! Mama!" Sophia thightens her arms around her Mama's middle, face buries on the shoulder, crying herself out. She feels a hand rubbing on her back and she cries even harder.

"Princess, calm down. Hey, tell me. What happened?"

"Sehun?"

Sehun just smiles as he stands up and hugs his Papa, an ear presses against his Papa's chest and he lets himself drown in the calm heartbeats.

"Guys, what is gong on? Sophia, princess. I can't breath... Yifan, help..."

"You can see I'm a bit occupied too at the moment..."

"No! Don't!" Sophia pulls away, looking back and forth between her Mama and Papa. "Don't fight, please... I... I'll be good..." She takes a step back, distancing herself from her Mama but still close enough for her Mama to wipe her tears off.

Sehun pulls away too and lifts his chin to meet his Papa's eyes, clearly able to read what is on his Papa's mind. "We know about your fight." He glances at his little sister that is already back into their Mama's embrace. "Sophia overheard it that day."

Sophia doesn't miss the exchange look between her parents before her Mama turns back at her. "Mama."

"Yes, dear?"

"Are you and Papa... going to..."

Sehun notices the slight twitch when their Mama finally catches what Sophia was going to say and he faces their Papa, waiting for an answer. "Papa..."

"No, we are not doing what you are think we were going to do."

Sophia watches their Papa ruffling Sehun's hair before pulling him into a quick hug and kisses her older brother on the forehead.

"Don't worry, okay. Your Mama and I already patched things up. We are not going anywhere."

Sehun sees his Mama nodding and he never felt so relieved before. He smiles at his Papa and earns another head ruffle.

"Then, I want to see you two kiss."

Sehun rolls his eyes at Sophia's request and takes a step back, letting his little sister have her time. He sees his parents exchange look before his Mama turns to Sophia.

"Right now?"

"Right now!"

"But..."

"It is just a kiss, Joonmyeon."

Sehun watches as his Papa leans closer, aiming for his Mama's cheek when Sophia flails her hands, stopping their parents.

"What? I was going to kiss your Mama..."

Sophia shakes her head, wiggling a finger. "Not just a normal kiss, your apologize kisses."

Sehun sighs. His little sister adores their parents so much that she loves to watch they kiss, telling him that it look so romantic and all that mushy stuff. And because of that, he actually notice the variety of kisses they shared on different occasions. Like the apologize kisses.

"Well?" Sophia widens her eyes, looking at her parents, telling them to just do it already. She waits and a sigh from her Mama reaches her ears as her Papa pulls them closer and kisses her Mama's forehead, then her Mama kisses her Papa's nose before they meet halfway to kiss softly on each other lips.

Sehun smiles at the scene and ignores the squeal coming from his side. He sees the smile on both his parents' faces.

"Satisfied? Now can we..."

"Not yet, Papa!" Sophia moves beside her older brother, looking straight at their parents. "Because you made me and oppa worried, I want you to promise us that you will never fight like that again."

Sehun looks at her little sister. He doesn't know where this is going and with that smirk on the pretty face, he really doesn't want to know.

"Sophia..."

"Mama..." Sophia pouts at her Mama. She then turns to her Papa. "Papa?"

"I promise. I am sorry me and Mama made you and Sehun worried and we will try not to fight like that again."

Sehun sees Sophia smiling.

"Now, can we please go eat? We have been looking for you two since you guys didn't come home after school was over."

"Where have you two been?"

Sehun turns to Sophia and before shifting back to their parents, smiling. "Time travel."

Sophia giggles at the puzzle faces her Papa and Mama have at Sehun's answer. She pulls her brother to walk, following their parents that already walk ahead toward the car. "We did it. We save their marriage." She squeezes his arm. "Look how romantic they are. So perfect together."

Sehun watches how his Papa's hand goes across his Mama's back and settles on his Mama's waist, pulling them closer together, leaving no gap between them as they talk to each other. They really look perfect together. He watches as his Papa kisses his Mama on the forehead, whispering to his Mama's ears before kissing it, and something clicks in his mind as his Papa moves to kiss his Mama's neck. "Oh no."

"Oh yes!" Sophia has both her fists in the air, trembling from excitement at the view of her Papa kissing her Mama's shoulder. "The 'let's-do-it-tonight' kisses! Kya!" She repeatedly hits Sehun's shoulder. "Oppa! Look! Kya!"

Sehun sighs as Sophia keeps squealing and hitting his arm. He will forever blames his sister for making him notice the 'kisses' as he watches their Mama tiptoes to kiss their Papa on the lips, sealing the promise, ending the series of kisses.

"Oppa, we should go to bed early tonight!" Sophia flashes Sehun a wide grin.

Sehun closes his eyes in defeat. Does he even have a choice?