Like Velvet

"The Curious Photography of Mother Courage in Heaven"

He comes every two weeks.

Every two weeks without fail.

But never to Heechul's counter.

He doesn't belong.

Among the dusty rows of books and stuffy scholars who roam the room, he sticks out, almost obscenely so

He's young, and handsome. Too handsome, and every movement he makes seems too loud for a library.

Heechul seems to have a radar for attractive people, because he is one.

Or at least he tells himself he is.

When the young man smiles at him (he has dimples and suddenly Heechul finds it hard to breathe) he begins to wonder what kinds of books he reads.

After working in a library for so long, Heechul begins to know people through the books they check out rather than conversation.

Who needs conversation anyway?

Who's honest anyway?

When the young man comes to the counter (his counter!) and places four books of four different genres, Heechul wonders if maybe he needs to talk to this guy to get to know him because the stack of books asks more questions than they answer...

The Five People You Meet in Heaven
Mother Courage and Her Children
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime

And a random book on photography

The young man obviously notices the look of confusion on Heechul's face and laughs.

His laugh is like syrup, thick and sweet and so out of place in the sacred quiet of the library.

"Odd mixture, I know. Have you read any of these?"

Yes, Heechul had read more books than most people, it was the blessing and curse of practically living at a realm of books.

"No, they look good, though. You'll have to tell me about them when you come to return them. Which is two weeks from today on the..." Heechul trails off upon noticing the date.

How could it have slipped his mind?

How could it have snuck up on him?

"What is it? Outstanding fee? I get those alot. I get too attached to books. And people."  and there's his syrupy laugh again, and Heechul worries for his health.

"No, it's just...you have to bring these back on my birthday. And I won't be working that day, so you can't tell me about them."

Heechul refrains from mentioning that perhaps working that day waiting shamelessly for him to return would undoubtedly be the highlight of his birthday. He knows that he'd only be home that day, having one-sided conversation with his cat, and crying over the inevitable character death in a new book.

"I could actually. We could hang out that day. For your birthday. How old will you be so I can know how many candles to put on the cake."

Heechul wishes the young man would stop smiling. His dimples and his eyes are both collaborating on an assault of Heechul's hormones.

Heechul also wishes he were younger, because these days he feels he belongs among the shelves of ancient tomes. Especially the ones that are never picked. The books that are deemed to confusing or too offensive to be chosen by anyone with any ounce of dignity or sense. He's aged in this library, and sometimes he feels so dull that he's afraid dust may settle on him. He's already lied to the boy before so why not continue? He may not be honest, he may not be lovable, but damn it, he is consistent.

"24," he says.

"You aren't are you? You look it, which means you aren't."

"28."

"You're beautiful." he whispers and smiles.

The man's laugh is like syrup and his smile is like sunshine and maybe Heechul can shake off the dust of the library.

"You've read these books too, haven't you?" he asks, boldly grabbing Heechul's hands in his own.

"Yes. I've read more books in 28 years than most people have in 80."

"You just wanted to see me again?"

"Yes, fine, yes. Of all the books I've come across, you're one I've never read."

Heechul doesn't know what about this boy is driving him to flirt, because he never flirts. He let's people flirt with him.

The younger man leans across the counter and whispers in Heechul's ear. "What's your real name? Your name tag says "Cinderella".

So Heechul has learned three things about this young, gorgeous man:
His laugh is like Syrup.
His smile is like sunshine.
And his voice...his voice is like velvet.

And all of these are bad signs simply because they play with Heechul's feelings. Feelings he shouldn't have upon just meeting someone.

"Kim Heechul," He replies, wondering why he didn't take the easy road out and give a fake name.

"I'm Bond. James Bond."

Heechul laughs (a little too loudly for the sake of flirting). So he's beautiful and witty (or maybe cheesy?).

"You have a nice smile. My name is actually Choi Siwon."

No, you have a nice smile, Choi Siwon. The nicest smile I've ever seen and my God, I want you. I want you so much more than I should.

Heechul is still admiring Siwon's smile when the younger man begins to draw lazy circles on Heechul's palm with his fingertips.

"Excuse me, I'd like to hurry the hell out of here, so could you two cut the flirting and get a move on?" an exasperated man calls out.  
He's wearing a suit and a matching grimace, one of the rude, business types.  
Also out of place in this library, but not in the good way like Siwon.

"Sorry, truly. But isn't he beautiful?" Siwon asks the irate guy behind him, who only sighs and rolls his eyes.

"Really, though. Look at him! Gorgeous," Siwon says turning back to face Heechul, who is struggling to determine if he should be embarrassed or flattered.

Maybe both is the appropriate reaction?

"May I see your hand, Cinderella?" Siwon whispers before taking Heechul's hand anyway. Siwon grabs a marker from the counter with his free hand and scribbles on Heechul's wrist.

His name.

His number.

And his address.

His address.

"Come by whenever you would like. We can...talk about books..." he whispers before releasing Heechul's hands.

"Alright," Heechul says. Or at least he tries. A weak nod is all that happens as Siwon walks away.

"Oh, and Heechul?" Siwon says, stopping and turning around. "I'll see you in two weeks? Right?" he says, dimples flashing proudly.

Heechul smiles and nods his head, fully aware he's probably blushing.

"And after that?" Siwon asks tentatively, testing the waters of this new friendship (relationship?).

"Of course," Heechul says, finally regaining the use of his voice...and limbs...and brain...

"Okay, good." Siwon says and laughs.

His laugh is like syrup.
His smile is like sunshine.
His voice is like velvet.

He's beautiful and new and bold.

Things Heechul isn't used to reading, let alone living.

Siwon is a book he's never read, and he's judging him by his cover, but that's okay.

It's okay, because in the name of all things lovely, he's beautiful and new and bold.

 

 

 

 

 

Still not sure about this, so I barely edited it. *sighs*