Twosome Place Encounter

Grant Me My Wish Genie

While Jin Yee was busy composing an email message & attaching her resume to send to In Guk, and while In Guk was queueing up at the counter, another tall, slender male figure with very fair complexion and chiselled looks walked passed the glass pane outside Jin Yee’s table and entered the cafe...

 

Team-jang-nim! Over here!” A young lady, who was with 2 other ladies, was calling out that tall & handsome man in a smart suit.

 

The tall & handsome man with fair complexion and chiselled look is Team Leader of the Business Development Dept of Comfo Publishing, Lee Soo Hyuk.

 

Soo Hyuk then walked toward the 3 ladies and joined them at their table. He apologised to then politely, “Sorry, I’m late. Got a bit held up at a meeting earlier.”

 

Petite lady with long wavy hair, Miss Kim said, “No worries. It’s ok. We got you the iced cafe latte. Here you go.” She passed the plastic cup to him. As their fingers touched, it sent a thrilling sensation to Miss Kim.  

 

“Thank you very much, Miss Kim.” Soo Hyuk said and he smiled flirtingly with his co-workers. Remembering something, he said to a tall & slim lady with thick eyeliner, “Ah, Miss Joo, remember to send me the online sales reports of last month when we get back to office later. I need it for a meeting tomorrow.”

 

Miss Joo smiled brightly and said, “Yes, sure I’ll compile it and bring it to you later.”

 

“Thank you.” Soo Hyuk replied and quickly changing topic, he commented, “The weather has become increasing hot these days.”

 

The other lady with dyed short hair, Miss Han quickly asked, “Do you enjoy going to the best, Team-jang-nim? 3 of us are planning to go to Sokcho beach next weekend, would you like to join us? We can....”

 

They went on talking about some casual personal topics and a little bit about projects that they’re working on with other departments.

 

-

 

At the counter, the drinks that In Guk was waiting for arrived. Then he carried a tray of drinks, including those orders by his teammates, sandwich & cake and head towards Jin Yee’s table. As Soo Hyuk’s table was at the other corner, hence they did not notice one another.

 

On seeing In Guk’s hands full, Jin Yee close her laptop to make space for the tray, “Come, let me help you. Why did you get so many drinks?”

 

In Guk placed the tray carefully not to spill anything, “They’re not for you. It’s for my colleagues. I told them I was coming here and asked if they wanted me to get them some. Here, have some cheesecake. It looks good.”

 

Jin Yee took a bite and commented, “Wow, it’s nice to be your subordinate. We get rewarded with Twosome drinks!” She then sipped on the matcha latte that In Guk just passed to her.

 

In Guk said proudly, “Of course! So you must come join me at Comfo.”

 

Jin Yee took more mouthfuls of the cheesecake, “Well, your boss & the HR will have to find me suitable first!”

 

“Aish, don’t worry.” In Guk assured her, “Don’t worry. Your seonbae will take care of everything.”

 

Jin Yee laughed and nodded, “Alright ok. I’ll be sure to get you a super nice & y underwear after I receive the first month of my salary then.”

 

In Guk was stuffing the sandwich in his mouth as he was saying, “I’m a very practical person. If you give me a y underwear, I have nobody to show it to. You might as well buy me something practical, like a household appliance or something.”

 

Trying to be cheeky, Jin Yee grinned at In Guk and teased, “Well, you can show & parade it to me. I certainly wouldn’t mind at all.” She was looking at him anticipatedly.

 

In Guk eyed her and almost rolled his eyes, “Please, what is inside your head? You wouldn’t want to look at it, trust me.”

 

Jin Yee looked up as she was recalling back their uni days, seeing In Guk in his trunks at those swimming practice & competitions, “Ah? I recalled you looked delicious with your choco abs in trunks when you were still with the swimming team. Countless girls have the hots for you. Don’t you remember?”

 

In Guk was a little disappointed though and explained, “You have no idea how fat I had gotten over the years with this sedentary job. I need to work hard to work out and get back into the shape I had during my prime years.”

 

Jin Yee muttered, quiet enough that In Guk couldn’t hear, “You are still in the prime.”

 

In Guk continued to ask her, “Are you still playing volleyball? Netball?”

 

Jin Yee shook her head and said, “Nah. The folks I used to play with aren’t here. I can’t possibly be playing alone. But I do like cycling journeys these days.”

 

“Really?” In Guk exclaimed, “Me too! Let’s go cycling and explore some of the suburb on one of the weekend or something. Nowadays, I’d cycle to nearby towns or around Hangang.”

 

Jin Yee was taken by surprise as she assumed he would probably be quite socially active on weekends. “Don’t you go out with girls or friends or something? Aren’t you seeing anyone?”

 

In Guk sighed and said, “Most of my friends are either married or attached, they don’t have time for me anymore so sometimes I’d just laze around at home helping out chores or do solo sports like cycling or baseball or basketball with high schoolers in my neighbourhood.”

 

Jin Yee seemed to have figured out, “I thought you said you went out on a few dates with some girls you met through mutual friends? Are they not your type? If you continue to be so picky, I doubt you can get married by 30.”

 

In Guk hesitated for a while before confessing, “I don’t know. It’s hard to find someone that I’m able to communicate with and on the same level of understanding. It’s not about looks or body. It’s ok that we may have different interests or passion but there has to be a common base understanding of each other’s background, lifestyle and towards many things in life.”

 

As In Guk was describing about what was lacking in the girls he met, Jin Yee was thinking to herself, You kept talking about ‘being able to communicate with’, but 跟你谈得来的,你又不来电. (Author’s note: I’m not sure what’s the best way to describe it in English but it means something like “Those whom you are able to click with, you do not have romantic feelings for.”)

 

But Jin Yee was actually referring to herself. On a personal level, she felt that she was able to communicate and have common level of understanding with In Guk cos they both came from same background and furthered studies in the US. They had the same athletic hobbies.

 

On a romantic level, the more she spent time with him, the more she likes him but she doesn’t know if he would ever feel more than just ‘buddies with same interest’ at all. If he wants to stay platonic, she would gladly obliged but that doesn’t stop her from crushing on him all this time.

 

Jin Yee let us a little sigh as she listened to In Guk concluded his speech, “In conclusion, I still haven’t met The One yet. You’d be the first to know if I ever come across a lady that is able to make me feel special.”

 

Jin Yee nodded and she answered unenthusiastically, “Ok. I’d be looking forward.”

 

In Guk took another mouthful of the cheesecake, “Ok. I gotta go now. Help me finish the cheesecake, yeah?” He got up and was preparing to leave, “I guess the next time I see you would be on your interview date. All the best of luck! Bye!”

 

“Bye.” Jin Yee said and watched him left through the door.

 

“Ok, back to work.” As Jin Yee went back with what she was doing on the laptop, she accidentally bumped against her drink and it fell on the floor. She gasped and picked it up pouting at the spilled content. She realised she ran out of serviettes and decided to grab some at the counter.

 

In the midst of rushing over to the counter, Jin Yee has knocked against a tall figure and the coins that he was holding while queuing to purchase another drink were all scattered over.

 

Team jang min! Are you alright!” Miss Kim quickly came over.

 

Soo Hyuk put out a hand and said, “It’s ok, it’s ok. I’m fine. No worries.”

 

“Oh, ok.” Miss Kim reluctantly went back to her seat with her colleagues

 

Jin Yee was kneeling on the ground and picking up the coins while bowing. “I’m so sorry. Sorry that I didn’t watch my way....”

 

Soo Hyuk had also bent down to pick up the coins at the other area and said, “It’s ok. It’s just coins.”

 

Jin Yee was very apologetic and said, “I’ll pick it all up for you...” And reach for one under a customer’s table. “Sorry.” After collecting what she could find, she stood up and lifted her head to the tall guy she had knocked against and said formally, “Please accept my apology.” She extended her arm with head bowed to return the coins.

 

Soo Hyuk had also accepted the coins from the tall lady in front of him and finally saw her face and was momentarily stunned because of the resemblance of someone he knew back in high school. Noona? Is that you?

 

To be continued...

 

Author's Note: Hmm... So Soo Hyuk actually knew Jin Yee way before In Guk? Jin Yee has always been interested in In Guk since uni days till now and it’s very apparent what her feelings for In Guk are, however that guy doesn’t seem to feel the same way, at least for now. Soo Hyuk is obviously a popular person in the company due to his good looks and his good relations - that’s what people in the sales do - building relationships! If you like how the story is going so far, please comment! It will be very encouraging. Thank you!