Fine

The Collection

 

 

AN: This piece was inspired by the song <그래도 되지 않아? (Fine)>. The song is about something blooming between two people. I hope you'll listen to the song and I hope you'll enjoy this story.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

A knock at my door erupted like a thunderstorm. It started slow but soon picked up speed and in a matter of seconds it sounded like someone was throwing rocks against the front of my house.  Startled, angry, and half asleep I shuffled my way to the door, opening it just enough for the sunlight to shine through and instantly blind my groggy eyes. “Uh, hi. Can I help you?” My voice was barley a whisper, but somehow the man standing at my door heard it.

            “Can you help me? CAN YOU HELP ME?” He wasn’t exactly yelling, but the annoyance in his voice was more than obvious. “I’ve been knocking for over thirty minutes.”

            “I’m sorry. I was asleep and-“ I was cut off by his grumble.

            “Yeah, okay whatever.” He rolled his eyes and shoved a clipboard into my hands.

            “What’s this?” I used the clipboard to shield my eyes from the sun and finally look up at him. He was an older man, middle-aged maybe. The brown of his uniform shirt was a slightly different brown than his uniform shorts and I could see how dirty his socks were just by the little bit that were peeking out from the top of his steel toed work boots. His face wasn’t much different from his clothes. He looked like he hadn’t shaved in weeks and the hair on his head was pushed back and greasy.

            “That is a paper you need to sign in order for me to give you the package I have in the truck.” He knocked on the back of the clipboard with his knuckles. The board bounced and he chuckled slightly as he saw it hit my head.

            “Oh.” I brought the clipboard down and looked at it. NOTICE OF DELIVERY was printed across the top. “Do you have a pen?”

            The man grumbled again and shoved his hand into the pocket on his shirt. He pulled out a chewed up pen and handed it to me, obviously annoyed with all the work delivering a package entailed. I signed my name on the page and handed the clipboard back to him. He then tucked it under his arm and stomped back to his truck. He retrieved a small box from the back and tossed it to me from the drive way before getting in the drivers seat and getting on with his day.

            Luckily the box landed in the grass avoiding any further damage. I ran across the lawn and picked it up before retreating back to the comfort of my bedroom. Sitting in bed I ripped open the cardboard to find a leather bound book and a note.

Elena,

As you know I have a meeting this weekend at The Winchester downtown. This meeting is very important for our brand and these people will most likely be investors if all goes well at the meeting Saturday. With such an important day ahead of us, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but unfortunately a mistake was made. My lousy assistant left my design book at the lake house in which I resided in order to create designs. Due to her incompetence I had her fired, and her last task was to mail my book to you. Please have the book to me by 10 Saturday morning. I’ll be waiting at The Winchester. Oh, and congrats! You’re my new assistant.

Don’t screw this up for me,

Darcy.

            ME?! DARCY THE HEAD DESIGNER HAD HER DESIGN BOOK MAILED TO ME?! My head was whirling. I’ve worked for a design company called Base Designs for two years now, but I wasn’t actually “in” the world of fashion. My best friend Macy is head of the marketing department over at Base Designs and when she heard I needed a job after graduating college she put me in as Lead of Communications, which is basically just fancy words for Secretary. I managed the front desk, taking in packages of fabric and other essentials and calling the actual designers upstairs to let them know their orders had come in. I had only ever spoken to Darcy on two occasions. One when I had to contact her to tell her that her packages had arrived (in which she would nag me for bothering her while she was working and reminded me to always contact her assistant Melissa when packages arrived because Melissa would be the one to retrieve them). And two, when she would call Macy up for last minute meetings right after the end of the workday. Macy would drag me upstairs with her tell me to wait while she talked with Darcy. She always said the meetings wouldn’t last long, but Darcy was incredibly snobby and always kept Macy way passed closing to ensure her ads were in tiptop shape. Darcy had gone through six assistants in the past three months, and for some reason she thought I seemed fit to be her next. I’m screwed.

            I groaned and crumpled up Darcy’s letter, throwing it across the room. She was crazy if she thought I’d actually work for her. I lay back in bed and pulled the covers over my head, hearing the book make a soft thud as it hit the carpeted floor. I was about to go back to sleep, but as always my curiosity got the best of me. To be honest, I’ve always wanted to be a designer, but my lack of creative skills lead me to pursue a degree in foreign language instead. I picked up Darcy’s book from the floor and began flipping through it. I was getting to the end when my phone vibrated. A text message from Macy: “I have a surprise for you!” I was about to text her back and tell her how much I despised surprised, but my eyes glanced up at the clock instead. The clock read 9:30, damn I was already running late. Despite my previous statement of not wanting to work for Darcy, her designs were amazing and plus, I was easily swayed. I jumped out of bed and threw on a pair of light grey sweatpants, a mustard yellow t-shirt and my teal running shoes, shoved Darcy’s book into my bag, threw my hair in a bun and ran out of the house.

            Downtown wasn’t far from my house so the fastest way to get to The Winchester was on the subway, the perfect way to avoid all the weekend traffic on the streets. The subway let me off two blocks away from The Winchester, and because the traffic was especially crazy today I decided it would be undoubtedly faster to walk there instead of hailing a taxi. Glancing at my watch I saw the time was 9:45, okay time to power walk. I bee lined my way down the pavement, avoiding by standers and side shows, finally ending up right across the street from The Winchester. 9:55, I had five more minutes before ten and I desperately need to hurry. The green walk signal appeared, approving me to cross and as I walked I popped a piece of gum into my mouth and dug through my bag for Darcy’s journal, ready to hand it to her the minute I walked through the door.  I glanced at my watch again, 9:57. I could see the end of the street and the doors of The Winchester glistening golden in the morning sun. I’d make it; I’d be there on time.

            The instant my hand felt the edge of Darcy’s book in my bag my foot hit the other side of the sidewalk. I turned my head in the direction of The Winchester, ready to dart in, but before I could even reach the front doors I was knocked off my feet and onto the hard pavement below. Darcy’s book fell a few feet in front of me along with the rest of my bag, and I quickly crawled and scattered across the floor to get it back, making sure it wasn’t damaged.

            “Can you please watch where you’re going next time?” The person I had run into was standing before me now. He was dusting off his clothes and trying to pick the gum off his show, my gum to be exact.

            “Oh sorry, it’s just, I’m in a rush.” I nodded at him slightly before taking off towards The Winchester without even looking at his face.

            I stumbled through the doors at 9:59. One minute until 10. I had one minute to get to the conference room on the 4th floor and seal my spot as Darcy’s new assistant. I punched the elevator button more times than I could count and once inside I closed the doors right away, making sure no one could get on with me, preventing the elevator from making any more stops before getting to the floor I needed. Ding, 4th floor. The conference room was on the immediate left when I stepped of of the elevator and I hurriedly pulled open the doors, causing them to hit their backs against the wall. I looked at the clock, 10 AM. I made it right on time.

            The conference room wasn’t as big as I had pictured in my head. It was only big enough for a table with 8 chairs and a bulletin board to fit inside. Upon each chair was a man or woman in a business suit and at the head of the table was Darcy. Her eyes wide with shock upon hearing the doors slam against the wall, and upon seeing me. I smiled softly to each person sitting around the table and quietly scurried over to Darcy, handing her the leather book, “Your designs.” My voice was a little louder than a whisper as I slid the book away from the edge of the table to Darcy. She looked at me emotionless, her eyes studying my face then making their way down to my clothes.

            “You see, Elena,” Darcy started with a sigh and began rising out of her seat, “I don’t think this is going to work.”

            I took a step back to make room for her to walk by before looking at all the people sitting around the table, “They aren’t a good investment?” I motioned my hand towards everyone at the table and heard a couple of them cough under their breath.

            Darcy was at the door now. Holding it open. Her perfectly polished red nails contrasted drastically with the dark mahogany of the door. “You’re the one who isn’t a good investment Elena.” Slightly confused I walked towards her. Once I was close enough she took the collar of my shirt between her nails and began speaking again, in a voice loud enough for the entire city to hear. “I’m Darcy Rennigade, the head designer at Base Designs.” With her other hand she took hold of the seam of my sweat pants. “I only dress in the latest designs produced by the hottest designers.” I could feel the tip of Darcy’s black Louboutin So Kate Suede Red Sole Pumps ramming into the tips of my faded New Balance teal running shoes. “And anyone working for me, especially my assistant, can’t have the wardrobe of a homeless man in New York City.” The words shot out of her moth like bees eager to escape their hive.  Embarrassed, I looked over at the table filled with people, all of which had their eyes on me as well. “Elena,” Darcy was back at the door now, and it was open again. “You’re fired.”

            The journey home was much shorter, and less stressful than the journey to The Winchester. I didn’t even last a day as Darcy’s assistant. I think that’s a new record. Honestly, I was a bit upset, but Darcy was a horrible person so I guess being fired from working with her 24/7 was a blessing in disguise. In all reality I totally dodged that bullet. Once home I climbed back into bed. The cure for a horrible day was definitely movies and a nap. I had finally situated myself under the covers and gotten comfortable when my phone rang.

            “Hey, be ready by 3.” It was Macy, and by the excitement in her voice I guessed she had something planned for us tonight.

            “Mase, I don’t really feel like going out. I had a horrible morning and all I really want to do is lay in bed.” I rolled over on my side and plunged my head under the blanket.

            “I’m sorry your day was , but this will definitely make you feel better.” Wherever Macy was it sounded crowded. I could faintly hear music playing in the background.

            “Unless you’re taking me to the movies, I don’t want to go anywhere.”

            The noises from Macy’s end quieted down and I heard a beep of car keys unlocking the doors. Soon after I heard a muffled door slam and then Macy began talking again. “Okay but this you really can’t back out of. I know I should have talked to you about it first, but I already agreed to it so please come and don’t make me look like a fool.”

            Intrigued, I sat up in bed now. What was she talking about? “Macy, please don’t tell me you signed us up for some kind of volunteer session at the company.”

            “Ew, no. This is better.”

            “Well, what is it?” I was getting a bit annoyed now. I wished she would just tell me.

            “I set you up on a blind date!” Macy was overexcited. She practically screamed out the words and I had to move the phone away from my ear.

            “Mase……you didn’t.” I threw myself on the bed. A blind date? I can barley go on a regular date with someone I’ve known forever. How was I supposed to go on one with a stranger? I groaned at her through the phone.

            “C’mon Elle. He’s my boyfriend’s best friend and as soon as I met him last weekend I knew that he would be perfect for you. His name is Jay and I’m more than positive you’ll like him. You guys will hit it off instantly. Trust me.”

            I groaned again, “For the record, I’m only doing this because you already told him I would and I don’t want to be rude.”

            “Great! Great, you’re such a good person!” Her excitement grew with each word that come out of . “Be ready by 3.”

            “Okay okay, bye Macy.” I hung up the phone and began the hunt for something decent to wear.

            I was so busy throwing clothes from my closet to my body to the floor that I didn’t even realize 2PM had crept up on me. Darcy was right. I did own the closet of a homeless New Yorker. Everything in my wardrobe consisted of jeans or sweat pants, some lame graphic tees with pictures of animals saying witty things on them, and sneakers, all worn out and all old. After a couple minutes of fighting myself on whether or not I should just back out due to my lack of date appropriate clothes, I decided to call Macy for help,

            “Can you please lend me something to wear?” I could hear Macy jumping around on the other end before I heard what sounded like a car starting.

            “I knew you’d need help. I’m on my way. We only have an hour to make you hot so we have to work fast. I’ll be there in five.” She hung up the phone before I even got to thank her and I rushed to the bathroom to try to at least do my hair.

            I pulled up to Seaside Grill exactly at 3. Macy had raved about Jay the whole time she was getting me ready. Seaside Grill was apparently his favorite spot to have a late lunch, so he told Macy this would be the perfect spot for the date. When she came over to my house she quickly Googled the place to see what kind of atmosphere it possessed. She had brought over many ensemble options in hopes that one would be a perfect fit, and after seeing pictures she was right. Seaside Grill was cute, cool, and casual which one would expect from the fact that it was perched delicately on the coast. Macy quickly pulled out her outfit of navy blue and white, nautical seemed the way to go, and quickly helped me get ready before shoving me into the car and wishing me good luck. I walked into the restaurant, it was just as calming as it was in the pictures, and made my way to the hostess.

            “Hello, can I get your name?” She was smiling at me a bit too brightly.

            “Uh, yeah it’s Elena.” Was I too early? Did he not make reservations? My head was spinning with questions.

            “Jay and Elena?” The hostess looked up at me questioningly.

            “Oh yes, that’s us.” I chuckled away my nervousness and she motioned me to follow her. She led me to a table on the deck. The cozy restaurant had one of the most beautiful views, overlooking the water, and tucked away in a corner was a man sitting at a table looking just as nervous as I felt.

            I walked over to the table and as I got closer he stood up. Once at my seat I smiled at him. He smiled back and then suddenly his eyes grew wide with surprise. The instant I saw his expression change, I regretted the decision to listen to Macy. Jay sat back down as fast as he stood up, avoiding my eyes and hiding his mouth. I sat down in the seat across from him and wondered what I did wrong in the last two minutes to make him act this way. Did my breath smell? Was there something in my teeth? I looked over at him but he still wasn’t meeting my eyes, which gave me the perfect chance to actually see him. Jay had light brown hair that was styled up and side swept. His clothes were casual, a nicely fitted navy and white button up fell over black jeans. The watch on his wrist was gold, the only pop of bright color on him aside from his hair. He would glace up at me every so often so I decided to try to reform any kind of civil relationship between us by being the one to speak first. “Hi, I’m Elena.”

            At the sound of my voice Jay lifted his head. His eyes were a brown that matched his hair and when he spoke they crinkled slightly at the corners, “I’m sorry.”

            His voice was deep and as he apologized he fixed the sleeves of his shirt. Sorry? Sorry what? Sorry this isn’t going to work out? Sorry you aren’t what I expected? Sorry I have to go? If he wants to end the date here this would be the second thing today that ended before it even got started. “What?” Hopefully my voice sounded more confused than scared.

            “Earlier. I’m sorry about earlier.” He looked up at me again, finally having the courage to meet my gaze.

            I’m sure the look on my face was ridiculous because I was thoroughly confused. “I just got here. Was I supposed to arrive first?” Maybe he was apologizing for getting here before me.

            Jay shook his head, “No. Today on the street, I’m sorry for snapping at you. It was dumb because I know it was an accident and you looked like you were in a rush.”

            On the street? What is this guy talking about? Did Macy set me up with a crazy person? “Uh I’m not quite sure what you’re talking about.” I took a sip of my water; this was too much for me.

            He lowered his head now, an embarrassed smile forming and he slightly rubbed the back of his neck. “Ah, I guess you don’t remember. We ran into each other on the street today. Like, literally ran each other.”

            Finally everything clicked. Jay was the person I ran into this morning on the way to The Winchester. I spit my gum on his shoe. Oh god, Jay saw me looking like a hobo. I covered my face with my hands instantly. “IM SO SORRY. I wasn’t looking where I was going and I was in a rush to get something to my boss and I should have been more careful and I really hope that my gum didn’t get stuck on your shoe and that you were able to make it to wherever you were going on time.” Words flew out of my mouth so fast I hope he was able to catch my apology.

            My talking was put to a halt by the sound of Jay’s laughter. I removed my hands from my face and looked at him. His head was thrown back and he was laughing whole hardily, his shoulders shaking. Through gasps of breath his voice came again, “This is a great first meeting story.”

            Jay continued to laugh and soon I found myself joining. Sitting there, watching him try to quiet down, made me realize how right Macy was. The moment I saw him from across the room there was instant chemistry. Although this was our first time meeting (well second if you count the encounter this morning) and little words were said, I found myself feeling more comfortable the more he smiled. Once his laughter subsided he looked over at me. He didn’t speak, he didn’t laugh, he didn’t move, all he did was smile. That’s all it took. One smile and I decided that I would like to get to know exactly who he was. After a couple moments he reached his arm across the table, waiting for my hand to take his, “Elena, it’s really a pleasure to meet you.” The chemistry between us, he felt it too. His eyes were locked with mine, they held me instantly, “I’m Jay.”