Chapter 2: Background

Beautiful Girl with Bad Luck and the Boy Who Saves Her

‘Hey, unnie. Boss calling you.” Kim Namjoo, the waiter at the club conveyed Sunggyu’s words to her close unnie in the club, Park Chorong. Chorong was on Sungyeol’s bar, taking a break after dancing for 1 hour. “Why suddenly he calls me?” She wondered. Namjoo shrugged as she took customers’ drinks from Sungyeol. Sungyeol smirked as he knew what was happening earlier. Namjoo saw his smirk and ask, “Why are you smirking, handsome?”

“Oh nothing. Just few minutes ago, a guy I know asked something about a specific girl in this club.” Sungyeol replied as he rested his right hand on the counter. Giving a code to Namjoo, Namjoo only replied with chuckles and wink to him before delivering the drinks. “And who is that supposed to be?” Chorong asked Sungyeol. “Which one do you want to know? The guy or the lady?” Sungyeol asked back, playing with vodka glass. “Urgh, sometimes I hate you, Sungyeol-ah.” She got up from her chair and giving ‘I don’t care’ gesture to chuckling Sungyeol while walking toward boss’ table.

“Hello, boss. Did you call me?” Chorong politely greeted Sunggyu, who was putting professional face. “Yes, Chorong-ssi. Please give this order to Sungyeol and bring it to VIP room.” Sunggyu handed her a piece of paper to Chorong. “Um, sir. I think we already have agreement about my work here.” She said calmly, but her face a little bit panic. “Yes, Chorong-ssi, I know. We already discussed it at your interview last month. But this one is special request. You see the paper first.”

She saw the paper and read the name and his order. ‘Nam Woohyun’, ‘Usual drink’. “Sorry, sir? Usual drink?” Chorong was confused on the order. “Yes, he’s one of my close friends and also frequent customer. If you want my opinion, he’s a big catch. Trust me.” Sunggyu said as he calmly took his drink and sipped it. “Don’t worry, he just want to know you. You can ask Sungyeol for more detail. He has better knowledge of Woohyun than me.” He waved his free hand, ordered her to go to Sungyeol’s bar.

“So, what’s up?” Sungyeol smirked as he saw confused Chorong back with a paper. “Give me something soft with a shot glass.” Chorong said after giving the paper to him. He gave her random alcohol that was on the display case. She drank it in one shot and then started to say, “Spill it, you devil.”

Sungyeol was smirking all along, after reading the paper and giving Chorong her order, he started to make Woohyun’s favorite drink. “So yeah, Nam Woohyun. A successful businessman, leading some small but profitable companies. As you already probably know, friend of boss and frequent customer. Just come here after a month of business trip of country which I don’t want to know. Suddenly asking you out of the blue. So yeah, giving him your name. That’s all.” He still smirked at the end while giving finishing touch to Woohyun’s drink.

“Anything that should I know more about him?” She was being cautious, giving Sungyeol serious look. “You know I don’t accept this kind of job, as per my agreement with boss. You know that, right?”

“Yes, I know. I kinda coincidentally told him about your...purity.” Sungyeol whispered the last word. Chorong gulped as he said that. “And don’t you worry, my dear. He’s rarely playing with girls here. Heck, even he never asked any girls from the time this place opened months ago. And never mentioned any girls as he sometimes talks to me about his life.” Sungyeol added. “He’s safe, and only want to know you more. That’s all.” He smiled and gestured her to take Woohyun’s drink that he already finished. “Go, and meet him. He also as pure as you.” He waved as Chorong brought the drink into the VIP room.

While she was walking to the VIP room, Chorong wondered if what Sungyeol said was true. If this man—Nam Woohyun—was very interested her, why she was ushered to VIP room? Some of her dancer friends told her that usually ert men who wanted to have fun usually asked the girls to come to VIP room. That was a scary story to her. She was very fortunate to get this easy job. Only dancing, although wearing very y uniform, which she disliked so much, she got a lot to help her and her family’s daily needs.

She’s from poor family. Her dad was a taxi driver, but alcoholism sometimes got him into troubles with passengers. Her mom helped her aunt’s small stall in a market, selling kimbab and other traditional snacks. Her mom got some profit share, but usually gone after buying daily needs. Chorong also had two sisters that still went to school. That’s why Chorong decided to only go to unknown art college near their house, with a scholarship from an organization that took care of her family for a few years back. From there, she learnt a lot about singing and dancing, which helped her landed the job at the club.

But of course, as mentioned before, she was asked if she could do a “side job”, Sunggyu preferred to say, when she was interviewed by him to take a job in his new club. Of course she said no to him, as she was also very conservative, thanks to her mom teaching about ity till married. Sunggyu was chuckled at that time when Chorong told him about those teaching, but he understood fully her life’s principle, so he excluded her from those who wanted to “play” with her.

Lost in thought, Chorong was unconsciously arrived at VIP’s room door. She knocked lightly, waiting for an answer before going in. “Yes, come in, please.” A man’s voice came out from the room, prompting Chorong to come in. She saw the man was standing in front of the karaoke machine. He was smiling to her. She was very aware that she still at work, so she bowed to him and asked, “Where should I put your drink, sir?”

“Just put it on the table.” He said softly, still looking at her. Woohyun never thought that he would meet an angel. Her soft voice also melted him, although he could held his ground, as his line of works made him like that. Her movement when she put his drink to the table was very delicate to his eyes. When she bowed again and wanted to leave, he said, “Stop. Stay here.”

She was stopping, but didn’t turn around because she was putting her sad face. She was professional, her mom also told her to professional, and to do it, even it was in this kind of situation. She took a deep breath before putting her smiling face and said, “Yes, sir. Can I help you with something else?”

He saw in her eyes that she was very cautious with him. His working nature helped him to learn about people’s eyes and faces, making him knew that she was very uncomfortable. “I’m going to be honest with you. First of all, I’m Nam Woohyun. Sorry to make you uncomfortable, but I asked your boss to come to this room. I’m not going to do anything to you, just want to talk to you. And probably some singing will be good, too, I think.” He smiled to her, pointing at karaoke machine. “I promise, I just want you to accompany me. Consider this as a comeback party. I just got back from Japan for business trip, and I don’t have many friends to invite. Can you accompany me?” He added.

She was still hesitating. Sungyeol’s right, he just wanted to know her more. But she didn’t want to trust him fully, yet. “If you want, I can pay you. Just pretend that it’s overtime salary from your boss. I can tell him about that, too. I’m sure he won’t mind, either.” He added more, and he walked to the couch. He sat, sipped his drink, and then started to make a phone call to Sunggyu. She still stood up, just looking at what he did. Her fingers now were fidgeting, whether to accept his offer or not. Easy money and she just needed to accompany him only.

“Hello. Yes it’s me. Sorry to call you in such a busy time. I wonder how much Park Chorong’s salary here.” He talked on the phone. Chorong guessed he was talking to her boss, Sunggyu. Her boss already said that he and Woohyun was friend. “Hmm, okay, I got it. Hey, man. I know, stop your whines. I won’t do anything to her. Yes, yes. Should I pay to her directly or to you? Oh, okay. No problem. Ya! Stop whining you old man. I said I won’t do anything to her. Yes, you calm down, too. Okay. See ya.” He talked very casually to Sunggyu, proving that both of them were friends indeed.

“So, it’s settled. You want to drink something? We’ll be long here.” Woohyun offered. Chorong shook her head. “Well then, first song by you. Would you please sing something to me?” He smiled, before pressing the service button in front of him.

She picked the one that she was very confident of. It’s ’24 Hours’ by Sunmi. She typed the code of the song and then did some warm up before the song played. Woohyun just smiled, looking at Chorong who was a little bit more comfortable than before. He himself didn’t know why he just fell in love to her right in the spot. Maybe her y dancing earlier, or probably her uniform, or her expression when she danced earlier. He didn’t know either why he had courage to ask Sunggyu for meeting her. At least she was willing to meet him, and with a little bit convincing on his side, she wanted to stay in the room.


A/N: So, first of all, hello to all of you. Sorry for not writing an author note in the first chapter. Just a little bit dazed at that time. Anyway, this is your update. I give you some background on Chorong's side. I always bring her conservative side in my story and there it is, the reason why she decided to work in the club. Also a little bit of Woohyun's background, although I think there will be more of his side later on. I made him here unusual. As other stories depict him as playboy or casanova, I decided to make him a gentleman, with a lack knowledge of dating. Should be fun, right? Hehe

Adding some characters from PinkFinite. Sungyeol, Sunggyu and Namjoo for now. Others will be added up in next few chapters. And will be updated every Tuesday, except I have some rl problem.

You can ask anything about the story or myself in the comments. I think I miss something to say, but anyway, thank you for subscribing and reading. And expect many of abrupt ending, because it's actually a oneshot at first, so I cut it into parts, which made the end for each chapters kinda weird.

Ah too much talking. See you next week!