PART 1: A new notch in your belt, is all I'll ever be

Second Place
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

This is part 1, and is quite long so... yeah. Thank you all who subscribed and upvoted! ^^

Title - lyrics from I knew you were trouble by Taylor Swift

Lyrics taken from:

Begin Again
Taylor Swift
RED
2012

 

 

Take a deep breath in the mirror…

Hyukjae looked at his reflection and gazed sadly at his average face – monolids, a nose that at times seemed a bit too big for his face and a very scrawny figure. He splashed some water on his face to get rid of the tear streaks and wiped his face with the towel hanging nearby. He gulped as he grabbed his bags which were extremely light as he couldn’t bring many things.

“Hurry up,” the other said tonelessly from outside the bathroom.

Hyukjae took a deep breath, with one final glance at the mirror thinking 'It's okay. I'm still standing.'

 

 

 

Turn the lock and put my headphones on
He always said he didn’t get this song
But I do


Hyukjae had been at his worst when he met Donghae.

Fresh out of an abusive relationship, jobless and having just moved into his new apartment in Seoul to escape his former boyfriend. He already knew from the first night that it wasn’t going to be a walk in the park, not that he had expected for it to be. His apartment had various problems such as leaks and stains and the bathroom sinks were cracked and the walls were too thin, but the rent was cheap and the location convenient, so he couldn’t complain. He didn’t have many possessions either, just a few sentimental items and everyday necessities. He didn’t even have a bed the first night so he made a makeshift mattress using jumpers and coats – at least he had remembered to bring a sheet, though it had no duvet inside.

The second night wasn’t that much better. He went to the shops and bought himself a single mattress and a small fridge with the money he had saved up in his account. He dyed his hair brown as well, just to add to his goal of reinventing himself. He was glad he had at least been working back in Busan or else he’d be broke as well. Still, he knew his savings would run out soon and he’d have to start working again. Hyukjae sat in front of the old fireplace, eating from a cup of instant noodles and listening to music through his crappy headphones to block out the Seoul noise. Chungho always hated when he listened to his music out loud and now it had just become habit.

He sighed and wondered how at the age of twenty-five his life had come to this. When he graduated from high school, he had imagined his future would be… different, to say the least. He had been a good student in school – he studied and had a nice group of friends. He went to university and got a teaching degree and became a dance teacher. Things were actually going well for him. He and his friends Yunho and Junsu were about to open their first dance studio together when Hyukjae met Chungho.

He had been different before, Hyukjae was sure of that.

Chungho was a smooth talking charmer with smouldering eyes and a y smirk. He made him feel important. It was his own fault, really; he should have realised that he did not feel loved. Chungho never said ‘I love you’ first, nor did he ever do anything remotely romantic after they became a couple. He always called ‘ing’ and not ‘making love.’ Hyukjae should have seen it coming – the abuse, that is. Chungho didn’t allow him to hang out with Junsu, he didn’t let him go away on trips, he didn’t want him visiting his family, he accused Hyukjae of meddling when anything went wrong with their lives. Hyukjae had been resistant at first, but over time he came to know when to say yes, when to say no, when to apologize for something he was sure he had no hand in.

He was horrified when Junsu pointed out to him what was happening because he was too oblivious, too in love, to realise. It wasn’t physical abuse, Chungho never hit him, but he didn’t need to. He had Hyukjae wrapped around his finger, ready to tend to his beck and call. In the end, Hyukjae couldn’t even say it was him that said enough was enough. Chungho simply told him coldly, “You were just a good ” and basically kicked Hyukjae out after five months.

Hyukjae didn’t mean to make it sound all bad; some days were good and Chungho treated him rather well. Still, looking back, he never felt loved or treasured or overly happy. At the time, he had just been thrilled that someone like Chungho wanted, or so he had thought, someone as plain as him.

 

 

 

He met Donghae at his parent’s café.

He admits now he’s a little embarrassed that he didn’t know who the man was at first glance. He acted very cold to him the first few encounters too. Three months into his new life in Seoul, after walking past the café almost every day, he decided to finally go in.

After hours of handing in resumes, even at small shops just to get a bit of cash, he walked tiredly into the rustic café and ordered a large chocolate frappe without even blinking. The place had been rather crowded and had pictures of a certain soccer team he failed to recognise, nor did he, at the time, care.

Hyukjae sat down at a table with his frappe and buried his head in his hands before he even took a sip. The table he chose was at a corner and next to a window, so he stared outside at the cars passing by, feeling the warm sun rays on his face, relaxing him and the amounting worries he had each day. He had been gazing at a flock of birds flying across the light blue sky, wishing he too could just fly away in both the literal and metaphorical sense, when from the corner of his eye he saw someone slide into the seat across from him. He turned his head slowly, unsure of what to expect, and was met by the sight of a man in a hoodie. The hood concealed his hair, but a few orangey-brown strands hung were over his double-lidded eyes. The shadow of the hood couldn’t even conceal his dashing good look. He was giving Hyukjae a bashful smile, or smirk maybe, and looked at the frappe for a few seconds.

Hyukjae blinked and leaned back in his chair. What was this guy doing?

“Hiding,” was the first thing the stranger said, as if he had heard Hyukjae’s question or perhaps it had been written all over his face. The man nodded towards the other customers, then winked at Hyukjae friendlily.

Hyukjae could hear alarm bells go off in his head. He had the same confidence that Chungho had, though not nearly as arrogant. Hyukjae had always had this attraction to guys like him; he couldn’t help it. That was probably why he ended up falling for Chungho, who at the time could be bothered to act like he had cared. Had it all been an act, right from the start? Hyukjae met the brown eyes of the man across from him, who was staring at Hyukjae like he was waiting for a response.

He was patient.

Hyukjae cleared his throat and glanced down at the condensation sliding down the glass, forming a small puddle at the base. “Why?”

“Why?’ the man repeated and from the rise of his voice, he was obviously surprised by Hyukjae’s reply. Hyukjae furrowed his eyebrows and looked up at him quickly, confused. “My parents own this café.”

So? Hyukjae fidgeted. He had no idea what to say; it didn’t help that this man was so good looking, making him more nervous than he already was. “Okay then.”

The man stared at him, even more surprised, and Hyukjae shifted in his seat. Seriously, what is it with this guy? He didn’t make any sense. He turned back to the stranger to see if his expression had changed and was stunned to see him making a crooked smile. Hyukjae already felt himself melting for it. It was then he got the feeling this guy looked kind of familiar, but he couldn’t quite place why.

“I’m Lee Donghae,” he said as he got comfortable on the chair and he chuckled into his palm at Hyukjae’s clueless expression.

Lee Donghae. That name had a ring to it. “Nice to meet you,” Hyukjae mumbled, not meeting his eye.

Donghae looked like he had been expecting some bigger reaction, but after failing to receive one, he just smiled even wider. He even looked kind of pleased. “Aren’t you going to introduce yourself too?”

Hyukjae swallowed but didn’t want to come off as rude, even if he didn’t want to talk to this guy right now. “Lee Hyukjae.”

“Hyukjae, huh?” Donghae propped his chin on his hands and leaned over, but not enough to make Hyukjae uncomfortable by the proximity. He had manners. “You don’t watch much sport, do you?”

How did Donghae know that? What has sport got to do with this? “No, not really.”

Donghae chuckled again and adjusted his hoodie so one side of his face, the side facing the window, could partly be seen. Hyukjae was momentarily in awe of the sunlight that shone onto slightly tanned skin, thin lips and dark, long eyelashes. He was not just good-looking – he was absolutely, devastatingly handsome. He had the smile that showed he knew he was attractive, but there was nothing smug or stuck up about it. He had the right amount of confidence. But then again, Hyukjae was clearly a crappy judge on first impressions.

“Think you have time nine-thirty tonight?”

Hyukjae bit his lip as he thought about his response. The honest answer was yes, but the careful one was no. He shrugged, this way he could figure out Donghae’s intentions. But really, Hyukjae, do you think he would be asking you out? “Maybe.”

“Well, Hyukjae,” Donghae grinned boyishly and Hyukjae had to look away before he got too caught up. Don’t lose yourself. You do not know him. “Think you could turn the TV on to the sports channel then?”

“Why should I?” Hyukjae asked coolly. He didn’t like being bossed by people, not after everything that happened with Chungho.

But Donghae didn’t look affected by the harsh tone. Instead he simply smiled, revealing slightly misaligned teeth which somehow added to his appeal. “You might see me, is all.”

Hyukjae felt himself blush because of how hostile he must be coming off right now. Donghae didn’t seem to have any negative intentions, yet he had wrongly made assumptions. “Are you going to the game?” he asked, softening his voice and trying to sound kinder. Did he mean see him in the stands?

Donghae laughed and his eyes turned into crescents when he did. “Sure. I might be caught on camera, so keep an eye out for me.”

“Okay, I will,” Hyukjae muttered.

Donghae gave him another wink, clicking his tongue as he did, before readjusting his hoodie and walking to the counter of the café. Hyukjae finished the rest of his frappe and wondered if he should wait for Donghae to come back, but what if Donghae wasn’t coming back? Had that been the end of their conversation? Feeling a bit torn as to what to do, he stood up and left the café, only realising when he was crossing the street that he hadn’t found out why Donghae had been hiding, and that he didn’t even have a TV.

 

 

 

Hyukjae managed to get a job teaching dance at a small and relatively new established middle school. Since he was just starting out the pay was quite low, but he was more than happy. He knew it was going to be tough but he was sure if he was smart with his money, he’d be alright. Most of the students that he had were funny and polite, so that was one less problem he had. He did manage to buy some basic furniture like a dresser and a couch, though not a bed frame yet. He had a coffee table that had been awfully cheap and was wobbly and a bit battered, but Hyukjae could live with that. He was more or less getting settled into his life in Seoul – he had the necessary items and could cook and clean. But he still had trouble getting to sleep at night because of the noise of busy streets.

Sure, it had been like that in Busan too, but he could close the windows and put on the fan or air-conditioner if it was hot, or the heater if it was cold. In his apartment, the fan made a worrying noise like it was going to disconnect from the ceiling, and the air-con had a strange, pungent smell, thus he had no choice but to keep the window open. Once he got a bed frame he would save up to get repairs on the apartment.

He sighed and looked at the phone of his screen at a photo of him, Yunho and Junsu outside their new dance studio. He wished he could have stayed there, but he already decided that he couldn’t stay in Busan. Besides, though they’d never say it directly, Yunho and Junsu didn’t really want Hyukjae there. They had planned for it together – just the two of them. However, when they needed extra money to buy a building, they let Hyukjae join. People always said three was a crowd and in their case it was true: Yunho and Junsu were much closer than they were with Hyukjae. Truthfully, he often found himself feeling left out and isolated. Although anything was probably better than the loneliness he felt now.

It was the same with his parents. They loved him, he didn’t doubt that for a second, but from a young age he had known his sister was always the star. He could understand why – she had a wicked sense of humor, was very clever, and fun to be around. The fact that she was stop-and-stare pretty helped too. Hyukjae was completely different – he was the least liked among his friends, last picked for activities. He was the kid who stayed in the corner at parties, if he was ever invited, and didn’t speak unless spoken to.
He hadn’t told any of his family what happened in Busan. They met Chungho once and, like him, were fooled by his personality. Hyukjae just told them he needed a change, and he hung up the phone before they could question him further.

He definitely came second to Chungho as well. He knew he should not be thinking about his ex-boyfriend who was a pompous and was honestly not worth the time and effort, but his thoughts always drifted back to him. For almost all their time together he had been cheating with various lovers on the side. Hyukjae was sure he probably had a new lover right now in the bed they used to lie in together. Feeling his eyes well up, and scolding himself for crying over such an , he buried his head into his pillow and shut his eyes. He didn’t know if he still loved Chungho or not. He was mad at him for sure, but if the latter walked in and asked to take him back, Hyukjae didn’t know what he’d say either.

 

 

 

The second time he saw Donghae was at the supermarket.

Much like before, the latter was wearing a hoodie and long, loose, sport pants. Hyukjae was walking down the aisle, basket hanging off his forearm, and actually stopped when he saw the other. Donghae was reaching up for a tin of something (he really couldn’t remember because he had been distracted) and when his jumper sleeve slid down because of the angle, Hyukjae saw a Roger Dubuis watch on his wrist. Though he knew money was not everything and, quite frankly, if he had lots of money he’d never know what to do with it all, he did find himself rather envious and insecure.

Lowering his head and hoping Donghae wouldn’t see him, he tried to walk past whilst the other’s attention was occupied. However, luck just wasn’t on his side because when he tried to walk behind a slightly elderly lady happened to also walk past with a trolley and Hyukjae had to jump back not to get hit.

“Oh I’m sorry, dear,” the lady said, giving an apologetic smile and stopping right behind Donghae so there was no way for Hyukjae to slip away. He was stuck right next to the person he was trying to avoid.

“I-It’s f-fine,” he said and bowed quickly. Move, please, before he notices.

The lady began to walk off slowly, and Hyukjae was just about to follow her when he heard his name being called.

“Hyukjae?”

Oh crap. That was Donghae. He even remembered my name. Hyukjae glanced up slowly. “Oh. Hi.”

Donghae scanned his face, beaming. Hyukjae hadn’t thought much of Donghae after they met to be honest, as he had more pressing matters to deal with, but he did remember his charismatic smile and, no, he had not exaggerated it one bit in his memories. “So?”

Hyukjae felt like this was similar to the atmosphere in the café. He felt like he was missing something really important. “So…”

Donghae’s smile faltered. “Did you watch the soccer game?”

Soccer…? Why would he watch soccer? Wait, is that what he was supposed to watch that night? Feeling bad, he nodded and murmured quickly, “Yeah, I did.”

Please don’t see through my lie.

“R-Really?” Donghae choked and looked like Hyukjae had thrown cold water on him. “And… what do you think?”

“It was good?” Hyukjae chewed on his lip and looked away. He had a feeling in his gut that that hadn’t been the right answer because the other gave him a strange look.

Donghae chuckled dryly. “So, uh, you weren’t impressed?”

By what? Oh my God, why does he have to keep asking me questions? Hyukjae nervously laughed and he could swear he sounded like a hyena with a cold. “Yeah, the teams were good.” Why was this so difficult?

“And did you see me?” Donghae asked and his voice had changed color. He sounded unconvinced. Hyukjae felt himself starting to go red and sweat from nerves.

“I don’t… I don’t know,” Hyukjae answered. If Donghae was in the stands then there was little chance he would have caught a glimpse of him even if he had watched it. Unless the camera zoomed up on him or something. Why did this game matter anyway?

Donghae glanced at the ground and then frowned a bit. “You didn’t watch it, did you?”

Oh well, crap.

Did he upset him? He sounded a bit upset. Hyukjae looked up, apology prepared. He could feel his flustered side coming out, “I’m sorry! I just forgot. I didn’t –”

“Hyukjae,” Donghae said, voice soft, and gave him a grin. “It’s okay if you didn’t watch it.”

Hyukjae clasped his hands together and stared down at the entwined fingers. “I’m sorry.”

Donghae looked at Hyukjae like he was studying him, making up his mind, before he reached into his back pocket and pulled out his wallet which Hyukjae could clearly see was designer brand. He glanced away before he could get critical.

“Here,” Donghae said and handed something out to him.

Hyukjae stared at the two white cards with some writing and what looked like seat numbers. “What are these?”

“Tickets to the next game,” Donghae replied and gave a crooked smile. “Go to it. For me.”

“But why?” Hyukjae asked as he took the tickets slowly and noted the seats were rather close to the field and in the centre. The game was also quite a big one. They were teams in the K-league Classic. “A-Are you…” He trailed off in embarrassment. Was Donghae asking him out? Was he ready to try a new relationship after his previous one left him in tears? Did he want to know more about Donghae?

“Bring a friend,” Donghae said and put his wallet back in his pocket. “Enjoy a game of soccer.”

Oh. No, he wasn’t asking him out. Hyukjae wasn’t sure if he should be comforted or saddened. He did feel foolish, that’s for sure.

“Okay,” Hyukjae said and bowed, feeling a little bit dismayed even though he had been hoping Donghae wouldn’t ask him out. He was seriously so indecisive. “Thank you.”

“No problem,” Donghae replied and with a final grin he left a dazed Hyukjae standing in the middle of the aisle, staring at the tickets in his hands.

 

 

 

Hyukjae entered the stadium, hands held close to his body as he waited patiently for the long line of other spectators to move. He glanced down at his ticket one more time before turning to look at Sungmin who was beside him. Sungmin was the martial arts instructor at the school Hyukjae worked at and the two had gotten relatively close over the weeks.

“How did you get such good seats?” Sungmin asked in disbelief, looking around the stadium with glittering eyes. “I’ve always wanted to come watch this team!”

“Oh really?” Hyukjae asked as he glanced around and saw the people were in two colors – red or white. He came dressed in a blue shirt. He probably should have done some sort of research prior. All he knew was that Seoul was red and black, and Incheon was white. “Someone gave them to me.”

Sungmin raised an eyebrow but before he could press further he saw an opening and grabbed Hyukjae’s hand. “There’s our chance! Let’s go!”

“W-Wait –!” Hyukjae was dragged down the stairs into the fourth row. Sungmin found the correct seats and sat down with a satisfied grin.

“Oh we missed seeing them warm up,” Sungmin pouted disappointedly.

“Did we?” Hyukjae asked dumbly. He knew enough about soccer to be able to follow the game (he thought so, anyway) but he had never come to a game before.

“So, which team are you for? Reds or whites?” Sungmin asked, eyes lighting up as he watched the referees and linesman talk. “Reds, right? For Seoul?”

“Uh… I don’t know. I suppose. You?”

 “Seoul of course! They have a really, and I mean really, strong striker,” Sungmin said and Hyukjae nodded to show that he was listening. He rubbed the back of his neck, feeling a bit foolish for having come completely unknowledgeable about the teams he was going to see. He wondered if he really deserved this ticket – he was sure there were other people who would appreciate it more. Also, why did Donghae give him these tickets? He would have been planning to go if he just had them on hand, right?

They spoke about work until the crowd came to life, roaring the team names and holding up banners. The teams came on and the cheering only increased in volume. Sungmin was on his feet and clapping wildly so Hyukjae hesitantly stood up also. He felt completely lost as to what to do. After the teams bowed, shook hands, introductory speeches made and the national anthem played, the game finally began.

Hyukjae watched as the players began to pass the ball, dribble it across the field and try and score a goal. He used to play soccer in school but after he graduated he never touched the ball again. He was too focused on dancing. He sighed and looked down at his lap as he was reminded of how all his dancing dreams – to be a choreographer and have a dance studio – seemed so unrealistic because of his predicament. He knew he could have stayed in Busan, and maybe he wouldn’t be living pay check to pay check, but he also just couldn’t stay.

Suddenly, ear-shattering screams erupted from the people around him and Sungmin jumped to his feet, shouting with joy. Hyukjae panicked and stumbled to his feet, just in time to see a football player in red pumping a fist in the air and encouraging the crowd. People were clapping and whistling and making all kinds of racquet. Hyukjae realised no one was playing, instead the Incheon players were hanging their heads and walking to the centre of the field whilst all the players in red, Seoul, were jumping up and down and celebrating.

That’s when Hyukjae squinted at the player who appeared to have scored, running on the edge of the field and high-fiving fans, had orange-brown hair. The tips of the strands almost touched his shoulders, and half of it was tied up in a messy, falling out ponytail. That person kind of looked a bit like…

The player, number 11, stopped right in front of his seats and glanced up at the crowd and Hyukjae blanched.

Donghae.

It felt like everything went silent as their eyes met. Of course, Donghae had given him the seats. He would know. Hyukjae’s jaw dropped open.

Donghae was a professional football player.

Now the hiding and the hoodie and the café with soccer photos and the expensive items made sense. Hyukjae hardly felt Sungmin’s nails digging painfully into his skin and probably leaving marks behind. He felt himself blush when Donghae smirked and Hyukjae could have sworn he winked, just before his team players jumped on him and tackled him into a hug.

“He looked in our direction!” Sungmin practically squealed into his ear as the crowd sat back down. “This is so awesome!”

“T-That’s Lee Donghae?” Hyukjae asked, eyes now glued to the number 11 player who repositioned himself for the kick off.

“Yes! He’s the best striker of Seoul’s football club,” Sungmin said dreamily. “Maybe even all of South Korea.”

Hyukjae blinked and felt his self-confidence plummet to the ground. “Wow.”

“And he’s so handsome! Right?”

“Yeah. Hey, aren’t you married?”

Sungmin rolled his eyes and hit Hyukjae’s shoulder. “Yes, I have a wife. But I can still appreciate a male’s good looks.”

Hyukjae laughed. “Sorry.”

“It’s cool. Anyway, you’re missing the game!”

By half time, the score remained 1-0 although Incheon had a few good attempts (not that Hyukjae would know a good goal from a bad – are there even such things as bad goals?). In the second half, Seoul managed to score another goal except this one was from Yesung, with an assist made by Donghae. Incheon managed to get the ball into the net once but the player was caught offside so it was disregarded. As the final whistle was blown, and the spectators cheered wildly, Hyukjae was still coming to terms that Donghae was a professional soccer player. He’d never met anyone remotely famous before, and when he did, he didn’t even know it.

“That was so much fun! Thanks for inviting me,” Sungmin grinned as they left the stadium. “Where did you park? I’m this way,” he jutted his thumb to the left and rose an eyebrow at Hyukjae who pointed the other way.

“Oh well, see you Monday!” Sungmin waved and Hyukjae returned it before heading off in the other direction.

Honestly, Hyukjae didn’t have a car so he had taken public transport. He didn’t know why he didn’t tell Sungmin – pride, maybe? He glanced up at the trees on the side of the road and noticed they were starting to look bare. Winter was coming next month. He needed to get the heater fixed or he’d never survive the bitter Seoul cold. Hyukjae zipped up his coat and started for the nearest bus stop.

He really couldn’t believe that he didn’t know who Donghae was. Perhaps if he had actually listened to Chungho when he watched the games, he would have had an idea. He shook his head and willed himself not to think about him. He needed to move on. Really. He knew he wasn’t worth his thoughts, but he couldn’t help it. Hyukjae stuffed his hands into his pockets and stared at the pavement as he chewed on his lip.

“Hey, you,” a voice called to him.

Hyukjae’s head snapped up and for a second he feared the worst. Gangsters? Kidnappers? He looked to the side and sighed with relief when he saw it was just Donghae. Professional football player Donghae.

“Hi,” Hyukjae stopped as the black Audi slowed down beside him. He eyed the sleek car and wondered if everything Donghae owned was above average price.

Donghae was smiling as he leant slightly out the window. “Did you like the game?”

“Yeah,” Hyukjae responded and gave a small smile. “I didn’t know you… I was so surprised… you should have just said…”

The orange-haired football player laughed in a way that told Hyukjae he didn’t mind. “It was kind of refreshing actually to meet someone who had no clue. You’re kind of cute when you’re flustered.”

Hyukjae stepped back and scowled, although on the inside his heart sped up. Do not falter. “I’m not flustered. Or cute.”

“Sure, sure,” Donghae said, clearly not agreeing. He looked down the dark road and cocked an eyebrow. “Where are you going?”

Hyukjae wanted to bite his tongue as he replied, “The bus stop.”

“Want a ride?” Donghae asked, flashing him a friendly smile.

Hyukjae hesitated. He knew it would be quicker if he said yes, but he didn’t know Donghae well enough. “No, it’s okay.”

“Come on, I won't do anything to you.”

“I don’t want to bother you.”

“It’s not a bother. I’m offering.” Donghae tilted his head to motion him to get inside. “I’m a good driver. I swear. You won’t find anyone else who follows the road rules more than me.”

Hyukjae glanced away. “The bus is not that far -”

“But I’m closer,” Donghae smirked and winked. Hyukjae wished he’d stop doing that because it made his stomach flutter and he felt all those things he shouldn’t. He couldn’t.

He bit his lip, and ignoring the ‘Don’ts!’ in his head, he walked around the Audi and opened the door. The interior of the Audi was stunning and he found himself really envious now. Donghae must live a life of luxury. Nothing like his. Though, he was sure Donghae had to work hard, and was still working hard, to get where he was. “Thank you.”

“Don’t mention it,” Donghae said as he pressed on the accelerator and drove the car down the road. “So, are you new to Seoul?”

“Kind of, I came about three months ago.” Since Donghae was focused on the road, he took the time to fully inspect the other. Donghae was wearing a black wife beater with a sports jacket over the top, and he was wearing long, sports pants as well. Hyukjae could tell from the body shape he was rather built, though not overly (which was expected as Donghae was a soccer player), and he had retied his long hair so it was away from his eyes.

“Yeah well you have that newbie kind of aura about you,” Donghae said and stopped at a traffic light. “What’s your address by the way?”

Hyukjae told him quickly. He held one of the straps of the seatbelt as he tried to think of a conversation topic. Fortunately Donghae was lightly humming and even turned the radio on to a quiet volume.

“Why’d you move here?” Donghae asked next.

Hyukjae swallowed and chose his next words carefully, hoping Donghae wouldn’t pressure him into saying any more than he was comfortable with. “Things just weren’t working out in Busan.”

He expected the ‘What wasn’t working?’ question, but instead, Donghae’s eyes lit up.

“Oh, you’re from Busan? You don’t have an accent,” Donghae said and grinned like a little kid would before he asked for something. “Try it!”

Hyukjae blanched. “Sorry?”

“C’mon, try the dialogue. I want to hear it,” Donghae urged.

Hyukjae looked away, regretting mentioning the city. “I didn’t grow up there.”

“I figured that. But give it a go. You must have tried it before.”

That was true. Hyukjae had attempted it many times, and failed every time. “I’m not good at it. You’ll laugh.”

“I won’t. I swear!” Donghae tried to make a blank face. “See? Check it out. Dead

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter