Liveliness and Misunderstanding

From Wonwoo to Mingyu [ HIATUS ]

 

➖➖➖

 

“I heard it’s really dangerous, looking into his eyes for over three seconds.”
“I know! Misfortunes happen to you for seventeen days.”
“It’s true!”
“Scary! Way too scary!”
“Did you hear? Jun went down with a cold after getting stared at!”
“That’s proof!”
“Excuse me,” Wonwoo stood back up slowly, a blue pen in his hand. As the two young boys turned around to face him a chill runs down their spines. They shriek with fear once they come face to face with him. 
“You… dropped this,” Wonwoo murmurs, holding out the pen to the two. His face darkening as he looks down at it, eyes turning to narrow slits.
They begin bolting down the hall, “I’m sorry! Please keep it!”
This is a common feat for the high schooler. His sharp eyes look cold and intimidating, repelling anyone who happened to get too close to him, but being all too innocent and naive for his own good he never quite understood. 

➖ ➖ ➖

“I heard he can sense ghosts and even summon them,” a male student’s voice echoes throughout the tiled walls of the bathroom.
“And his name is also Wonmaek, like the god of death!”
“You have to his his parents credit for giving him such a suitable name.” The boys chuckle, but soon stop after hearing the bathroom stall squeak as it opens, a dark figure appearing in the mirror in front of them. They gasp as the air itself is suddenly freezing as they realize who has just stepped out of the stall.
“You can use this stall, it’s free now,” he looks up at the boys through his bangs, but suddenly they’re gone and he hears screaming down the hall. Here’s the thing though, Wonwoo(not Wonmaek) can’t see ghosts. Because of these rumours he feels like he’s really letting down his peers by not being able to do the crazy things they say he can. It kind of hurts his confidence. 

➖ ➖ ➖

“I’m not sure why, but people always seem to be scared of me. I just want to be friendly, so today I’ll try my best!” Wonwoo says to himself before turning the corner and walking up closer to his classmates. 
“Nana-sunbae… Raina-sunbae,” he chokes out quietly. “Good morning.” The girl’s look at him for a second before they stop in their tracks to shiver with fear. 
I hope I was able to greet them cheerfully,” Wonwoo thinks to himself as he continues walking. Up ahead he spots a crowd and immediately knows who will be in it. 
“You walking to school too?” a boy asks Mingyu as they walk. Wonwoo watches the boy as he walks and talks with his friends, being the center of attention as usual. Kim Mingyu was a cheerful and lively boy too, always considerate of others.
He stops walking and suddenly looks at Wonwoo, “Good morning.” Wonwoo is left speechless. 
What a kind soul! I can’t believe he greeted me the same as everyone else!” Wonwoo thinks as he tries to stutter out a reply. 
“G-good m-.” However his reply is cut short when he realizes that Mingyu has left to catch back up with his friends.
Wonwoo considered Mingyu to be the complete opposite of himself, and he wasn't very far off there. Everyone gathers around Mingyu as if they’re making a circle around him. He smiles fondly as he reminisces about how he first encountered Mingyu. 

➖ ➖ ➖

The pink cherry blossoms flow gently to the ground with the wind as Wonwoo walks to school. Up ahead he spots another boy about his age wearing the same uniform as him stopped in the middle of the road. He is facing the direction of the main street. 
“Excuse me,” Wonwoo stammers quietly. “If you’re looking for Pledis High, it’s that way.” He points to the road turning left. Mingyu glances that direction and then back at Wonwoo, smiling brightly. 
“Thank you,” he said. People are usually apologising, but Mingyu had smiled at him and said “Thanks”. Ever since that day Wonwoo has aspired to become a person like Mingyu and he hopes that someday he will act like he does.
“Before the ending ceremony,” Mingyu’s voice pulls Wonwoo away from his thoughts. “We will be holding a test of courage.” He was at the front of the classroom making announcements. The class erupts in excited chatter as peers ask each other if they’ll be attending or not. 
“I’ll be putting up the sign-up sheet on the board so sign here if you’re coming,” Mingyu says as he holds up a paper. “It would be great if everyone attended.” 
‘Everyone’? That means-” Wonwoo is pulled from his thoughts once again as he hears his name being mentioned in conversation. 
“I wonder if Wonmaek is coming.” Wonwoo recognises this voice as a boy named Soonyoung’s. A chuckle follows.
“I bet if he showed up, real ghosts would appear too,” a boy named Seokmin replied, holding in his laughter. 
A wave of anxiety crashed into Wonwoo like a bag of bricks. 
I can’t live up to their expectations! People would probably be disappointed if I came and ghosts didn’t appear...” he thought to himself while the class settled down.
“Alright class, you’ll all be on summer vacation when the closing ceremony is over and that means summer classes.” With this new piece of information the class erupted once again, but this time in groans. The teacher continued despite the negative response.
“I’ll be needing a volunteer who would be willing to take time off from their break to help me prepare for classes,” the teacher explained as he looked around expectantly. “It won’t take very long. If no one volunteers I’ll have to pick someone.” Silence ensued.
No one wants to do it,” Wonwoo thought as he worked up some courage. He raised his hand slightly.
“Um,” he shuddered as the entire class gasped. “If it’s alright with you, I wouldn’t mind doing it…” he trailed off as the teacher, looking very uneasy, wrote his name down.
“Hey, teach,” Mingyu’s voice called out from the back of the room. “He’s always getting stuck with jobs like that.” The students were in awe. Even Wonwoo was quite shocked. 
“I don’t think it’s right to give him all the jobs people don’t want to do,” he continued.
“Then would you like to take his place, Mingyu?” the teacher asked.
“Huh?” Mingyu paused for a moment, pondering this. “I have no choice. I guess I’ll do it.”
Wonwoo’s hand slowly descended.
He noticed? That I had always been working?” Wonwoo wouldn’t have this. He stood from his desk suddenly, frightening everyone.
“Please let me do it. I don’t have anything planned for the summer so I’ll be bored. Very bored. I live close by, and I’ll be very bored.”
The teacher was slightly taken aback and maybe a little scared. “Well, if you insist.”
“I can’t believe he noticed. Even things that were being done by a quiet person like me…” Wonwoo blushed all by himself.
What a kind person,” he mused as he watered the flowers in the bed outside the school. “That really made my day.
“Wonmaek!” His trance was broken when he heard a call by a familiar voice. 
“Jeonghan!” 
“It’s been a while, huh?”
“Yeah, we’re in different classes after all.”
“How are you getting along with your classmates? There’s no one from your old school, right?”
“Yes, but, well, there’s someone called Mingyu and-”
“Ah, the lively one?”
“Lively is an understatement,” Wonwoo’s eyes sparkled with admiration as he talked. “I’d say one hundred percent liveliness. No, it’s actually more like he’s made of liveliness itself!” Jeonghan gasped and Wonwoo looked over to see what it was. There stood Kim Mingyu in all his lively glory in the window just next to them. 
“Mingyu!” Wonwoo had turned a beet red. Jeonghan suddenly grabbed him by the shoulder and brought him down.
“This is bad! He totally heard you,” he whispered to Wonwoo as if Mingyu wasn’t right there. “You should apologize.” 
Wonwoo was confused. “Apologize?”
Whaaat?! I was giving him a compliment, but I guess he misunderstood me?” 
“Hey, what you just said… How should I interpret that?” This was new to Wonwoo. No one had ever asked him what he had meant. He blushed.
“A-as a compliment!” Jeonghan gaped at him as he spoke. 
Mingyu laughed abruptly. “Alright then! I’ll be over there in a second, so just wait there.” And suddenly Wonwoo’s happiness turned to nervousness. “We never got a chance to really talk.”
“Aren’t you happy, Wonmaek? I heard Mingyu really can’t stand it when a student can’t fit in with the rest of the class,” after explaining Jeonghan turns around and walks a bit before calling out, “I can rest easy now! See you!”
What an amazing person Mingyu is, believing me when I told him what I really meant,” Wonwoo induced, Mingyu showing up in front of him. “He took my word for what it was!” 
Mingyu chuckled again, “I’m so glad! I’ve always thought that you didn’t like me.”
“Di-dislike?!” Wonwoo was astonished at the assumption. “N-no, you’ve got it a-all wrong! I’ve always dreamed of b-being as lively as you. Always...” Mingyu reddened at the sudden confession.
“I’m really not as lively as you think I am,” he says as his eyebrows furrow slightly.
“No, you really are! You have such a big heart. Even your name sounds kind!"
"Speak for yourself, 'Wonwoo'." His heart stops. It's as if the world stops in that moment. 
"Your name is Jeon Wonwoo, right?"
He looks down at the ground before responding. "No one ever calls me that. This may be the first time I've been able to clear up a misunderstanding..." Mingyu smiles at this. 
"But you were able to speak your mind when you tried." It was like Wonwoo had had an epiphany. 
"He's... really amazing... Amazing, this is the first time someone from school has called me by my name. And the first time anyone has ever made me feel this way...
"You better come to the event, okay?"
"... the first time in my life."

➖➖➖

Hello!! New!! Readers!!
Sorry for such a long wait on this first chapter, but school was really being a dum(more like I was being a dum) but moving on, I'm finally getting a somewhat break so I used that time to write!! The storyline is going to follow the original Kimi ni Todoke pretty closely, so sorry if it's bad for you because it's so similar, but I'll try to switch it up if even just a little. By the way, Hae Wonmaek is the original God of death and he's the only Sadako-like Korean figure I could find so yeah haha. And Wonwoo means rounded heart ok :) Anyways, I hope you liked it and it wasn't too short!! Please patiently stick around for the next chapter. But in the meantime please subscribe and comment!! I love you guys.