-Prologue-

Heartbeat

 

Small beeps echoed in the room waked him up from the anesthesia, everything was blurred and he felt a little dizzy, he looked around to see his mother and father by the side of his sickbed, soft smile crossed his lips and he inhaled in relief, it was hurts. 

"Umma…" he whispered and both of his parents jumped from the chairs they were sitting on to lean closer to him.

"Minho-ya, how are you?"

"Dizzy" he said weakly as she reached her hand to his forehead lovingly.

"Do you want some water?"

"No…"

"Maybe you should go back to sleep, son" his father said and placed his hand on his thigh as he tapped it fondly.

"Did the surgery succeed?" he asked sharing his gaze between his parents tiredly.

"The transplant did well but we would see progress with time"

Minho smiled and hummed, his eyes closed by itself and he fell asleep once again.

 

 

"Good morning Mr. Choi" the nurse said as she came into his room, Minho greeted her with a soft smile and removed the covers from his upper body, he waited patiently for her to change his bandages into clean one and thanked her politely.

"How are you today? Anything special, something hurts?"

"The stitches are scratching but other than that, everything is fine"

The nurse smiled and removed the bandages, she cleaned and sterilized his wound carefully before she placed an ointment on his skin and a new bandage "the doctor done a great job" she remarked "you probably will have only a small scar"

Minho smiled, he didn’t care about the scar anyway, he waited for a new heart for years and finally a donor had been found.

"-Well, the doctor will see you in a moment and then you could go and eat breakfast"

"Thank you"

She left the room and as she promised few moments later the doctor came, he tested him like he did every day for the passing week, making sure his implant adjusted to his body "your new heart is doing good" he mumbled as he ran the stethoscope around the wounded area "I believe that tomorrow you could go back home"

"Thank you doctor" Minho said and bowed his head slightly as he watched the doctor leaving the room to see other patients.

Getting up from his sickbed Minho went to the bathroom, unlike the first day after his surgery he showered by himself without the help of the nurses, he already knew how to wash his body without wetting his bandages.

After a warm shower he got dressed in a new pajama and was ready for breakfast when suddenly his mother walked into the room.

"Good morning, Minho-ya" she said cheerily and got closer to kiss his cheek, in her hand she was holding a bag of food.

Good smell of 'home' washed his nostrils and made his stomach growl with anticipation "Umma, what are you doing here?" usually his parents came to visit him at the late noon.

"Your Appa had to go to the office, so I thought of coming earlier" she raised the bag in her hand and smiled "I made breakfast"

Minho smiled, Umma's food was better than the hospital's for sure.

"-How about going to eat outside? The weather is wonderful and you could use a little sun and fresh air"

"Sure" he nodded and followed his mother out to the hospital's yard, he wanted to help her carry the bag but she insisted to do it by herself- after all he wasn’t allowed to lift anything heavy.

The hospital had a small yard and some nice pergolas to seat on, they sat at the most sunny part of the yard, Minho waited till his mother took the food out of the bag and placed it in front of him "thank you, Umma"

His mother smiled "eat well, I made your favorite soup"

Minho took a sip and hummed in approval "tasty"

Reaching her hand Mrs. Choi his cheek fondly "how are you today?"

"The doctor said my heart is doing good and tomorrow I could probably go home"

"Wonderful news!" she said excitedly "I'll tell everybody later"

Minho chuckled and opened his mouth to speak but shut it when he saw a young boy staring at him from the bench on the other side of the yard, Mrs. Choi noticed the flicker in her son's eyes and turned to look at what he was looking at, she saw the young boy getting up from the bench with a guilt in his eyes for being caught staring, in his hand he was holding a bottle of orange juice defensively hiding behind it. That boy looked exactly like Minho's type, pretty features and a small figure, angelic, kind of naive and a boyish look, like all those boys he used to bring home to fool around with.

Mrs. Choi wasn’t a fool, her son came out when he was 16 and since then he had a different partner almost every night, the 'serious' one he brought home and they all looked the same, not so different from this one.

"Ya…" she said drawing back his attention "don’t do that when I'm next to you"

"Do what?" Minho turned his gaze back at his mother.

"Drool over some pretty boys"

Minho chuckled "I'm not drooling"

His mother made a funny face and pointed at his soup "eat"

Minho smiled and kept eating, his eyes however followed the boy who slowly made his way out of the hospital.