Of Strangers and Misunderstandings

Of Strangers and Misunderstandings

 

“Who’s he?”
 
They met on another hot Spring day, when the store was at its busiest. He was working as a barista at the bookstore his childhood friend managed, making a caramel macchiato for a blond girl who made it her mission to flirt with him ‘til he was done with her drink.
 
His manager and best friend Lee Sungjong waltzed in through the entrance, catching everyone’s attention as he did every day of the week, except on that day he was dragging someone along with him-- a very hot someone, with really small eyes, skin that could compete with Sungjong’s, and an overall cold aura. Why would his bubbly best friend ever associate himself with someone so… Life-less? If he hadn’t known how much of a social butterfly the kid was, that would’ve been the first question he’d receive from Sungyeol.
 
With the two standing directly in front of him, Sungyeol had no choice but put his coffee making on hold and wonder about the stranger. Knowing his best friend he would’ve guessed it was another one of those guys that were drooling over him. Sungjong was pretty, no, gorgeous and practically sparkled-- then again, so did everyone in this part of town. His friend’s voice took him away from his thoughts, and he proceeded to glance over at the other guy again, offering a weak smile.
 
“Hyung, this is my new roommate, he just moved in~”
 
Ah. Sungyeol nodded, making his smile more comfortable. If it was a roommate, he’d be seeing a lot of this guy around. By the way Sungjong was clinging onto said guy’s hand, he concluded he’d be seeing his around a lot for sure. Seeming to read his friend’s accusing stare, Sungjong giggled and continued to say, “He’s going to be working here from now on. He needs a job, and we have plenty of opened spots here to offer him one… And we’ll have even more if Sunggyu-hyung doesn’t show his face to me to prove he’s actually in.”
 
As if on queue, another boy showed up, this one more familiar to Sungyeol. Kim Sunggyu, known as the ‘mother‘ and the voice of reason of Infinite bookstore moved away from the bookshelf he was busy with and scurried over to stand beside Sungyeol, offering everyone a small wave. 
 
“Yah I’m here, I’m here. Why do you always threaten to fire me whenever you don’t--Oh, who’s that?”
 
Once again all the attention had shifted back to the stranger. Sungjong snapped his fingers and faced the other boy with a fond smile. “This is Myungsoo, he’ll be working here from now on. Treat him nicely because he’s younger than you both.”
 
Neither Sunggyu nor Sungyeol knew if that was a threat or warning of sorts, but didn’t question it and only nod.
 
“I’m Sunggyu, the oldest here, and that’s Sungyeol. I’d shake your hand, but you seem a little busy…”
 
At least I’m not the only one who noticed.
 
The Myungsoo kid showed a change of emotion for once and smiled, not making any efforts to removed his hand from Sungjong’s. Once again, no one said anything because it was probably a bad idea to do anything involving Sungjong without his consent first. For someone so cute he was a dangerous little 18 year old.
 
“Yeollie-hyung, I need you to show him around the place while Gyu-hyung helps me out with the new order that just came it. I leave him in your care.”
 
Sungyeol was left to awkwardly shift about while Myungsoo stared at him expectantly. 
 
“Well, uh… this is my area. I make coffee, and smoothies, et cetera et cetera..”
 
Awkward didn’t even come close to describing the atmosphere. Sungyeol showed the other around the bookstore, explained how things worked, and even pointed out a couple of the regular customers. What else could they do to kill time? All that was left was the staff lounge.
 
He swung the door open to find another of the workers napping on the couch. 
 
“If Sungjong sees you like this, he’ll burn you like a witch. Get up.”
 
The sleeping figure grumbled as he batted Sungyeol’s pesky hand away from his stomach, because he didn’t enjoy being poked. “Be respectful to you hyung, you brat…”
 
“Pft…. Ah, Dongwoo-hyung, get up already and greet the new employee.”
 
Dongwoo sat up with a pout. Anyone who knew the guy knew he loved sleep more than anything else. Once his eyes adjusted to the lights, he glanced over to the pair of eyes staring into his soul and grinned that stupid grin of his. 
 
“I’m Dongwoo, and you are…?”
 
“Very quiet. He’s Myungsoo, Jong’s new roommate.”
 
The two looked at each other with knowing looks, a small smirk lingering on Dongwoo’s lips. “Oh~” was all he said about that matter, not touching it anymore as he stretched and glanced at the door where Sunggyu now stood. 
 
“Oh good, you’re all acquainted now… Stay away from that one, he has an infectious disease; stupidity. You might catch it.” Sunggyu laughed when Dongwoo shoved passed him with another pout, saying something about how terrible of a hyung he was and how he was going to die alone.
 
His laughing subsided when Sungjong came in and practically tackled Myungsoo in a hug. One of these days Sungjong was going to hurt someone, and he prayed to the gods above it wasn’t going to be him. He waddled over to Sungyeol where the two stood awkwardly, feeling as if they were intruding something because the way the two were hugging and smiling at each other seemed a little too intimate.
 
“We’ll see you two tomorrow. I’m taking hyung out so he learns his way around town.”
 
Sungyeol wasn’t sure why, but he felt a little jealous watching the two disappear. Of what or who, he didn’t know, but the feeling was tugging at his heart. Maybe he was jealous Myungsoo who not only got to go home with his best friend, but was also treated nicely. What did it even matter, Sungjong probably liked him more anyways so he shrugged the feeling away and helped his hyungs clean up before they left.
 
----
 
It took two full weeks for Myungsoo to finally warm up to the staff at the bookstore, and even then all he did was greet them and bid them good-bye. The only times he would actually talk was when Sungjong was around him, giggling and having animated conversations as if they hadn’t seen each other in years. No one ever knew what they were talking about either, always choosing to stand in the furthest corner or most secluded book area. To Myungsoo, only the little Diva existed, or at least that was the feeling they got from the two which is why Sungyeol dropped his cup of Americano (which he worked so hard to make for himself) when he was addressed by him.
 
Sungyeol looked around behind him for a moment, checking to see if Sungjong was standing close by and when he realized the kid was out of town visiting his parents, he turned back to Myungsoo and gapped at him.
 
“What--excuse me, are you talking to me?” he asked, pointing at himself stupidly while being in complete disbelief. Why would Myungsoo ever talk to him, out of all people?
 
This earned the tall boy a chuckle and a pretty little smile from he who was quiet. 
 
“Pretty sure you’re the only Sungyeol around,” he stated matter-of-factly. 
 
That was seven words he had spoken, and all directed towards Sungyeol whose name he even knew? This had to go down on the book of world records or something because that was a big first. After getting over his shock, Sungyeol smiled and nodded.
 
“I guess so… Did you need something?” As much as he’d love to stay and chat and revel in the sorcery that was Myungsoo speaking to someone who wasn’t 18 and a Princess, he really needed to clean up the mess of his coffee and serve the red-head staring daggers at him.
 
“Sungjong just called to tell me he accidentally took my keys, and left the apartment locked so I need to stay with you.”
 
Excuse the hell out of me, Sungjong said what?
 
Sungyeol rapidly shook his head as if there was a spider clinging onto his hair that he had to get off. There was no way he was going to let Myungsoo, a stranger he just met and barely knew, stay at his apartment for a whole week. There was no way in hell that would happen.
 
So why was it that he found himself in his guest room with Myungsoo after work hours? Oh right, because that evil best friend of his had blackmailed him when Sungyeol gave him an angry call. And how could he say no when Sungjong “said that you’re the only employee he trusts.”?
 
“The bathroom is down the hall on the left. If you make a right, you’ll come across my room which is completely off limits unless given permission to enter. I appreciate knocking. Other than that, feel free to roam about and eat my food. My house is your house, or in this case apartment.”
 
Having laid out the rules and given Myungsoo the grand tour of his apartment, he left him in the guest room with pillows, blankets, and a pair of pj’s because all of his clothing was in the locked apartment. He promised to take him out shopping tomorrow because no way was he going to fit into Sungyeol’s clothes.
 
Maybe letting him stay wouldn’t be that bad. Sungjong came home Sunday morning, so technically he’d only be staying 5 days, 6 nights and not a full week. He could deal with that. At least he thought so ‘til Myungsoo barged into his room while he was completely (save for the tiny towel around his waist.) He swore the shriek that left his throat was loud enough to wake up all of China.
 
“W-w-what the hell are you doing!?”
 
“Oh god, I am so sorry, I thought the bathroom….” And even though he was apologizing, his eyes never left Sungyeol’s body. In his list of Most Embarrassing moments, this definitely topped him spitting milk all over his crush in the 8th grade. Feeling violated, Sungyeol swiftly tugged at his bed sheet and covered himself with it. Suddenly the room was 6 times hotter and he wondered if his cheeks were as red as they felt.
 
“Left, I said left!”
 
“I’m just… going to… bye.”
 
Myungsoo swore the door knob was going to break from the force he used when he closed it, slamming it close with a thud. No longer did his bladder need to release his bodily fluids so he returned to the room in record speed, unsure if his crazy heart beat was from seeing Sungyeol or from running. 
 
Holy Sungyeol’s glorious body. I saw him. . Oh god.
 
Once in his room he proceeded to dig a whole to china, and run far far away where he would never need to face him again. He could start a happy life with some Chinese girl, make children, and forget about how godly Sungyeol was. That night Myungsoo slept under the bed hoping the darkness would eat him alive, all the while Sunggyu received a call from a hysterical Sungyeol, who was either sobbing or laughing. He couldn’t tell.
 
----
 
Never had either of them been so happy to see Sungjong in their lives. The awkward level between the two had grown even more. It didn’t help at all that during the promised shopping trip, one event lead to another and they were locked inside the smallest fitting room ever. For five hours. Five agonizingly long hours.
 
Sungjong hadn’t even been through the doors for five full second when he was greeted by a relieved Myungsoo, in the form of a tackle-bear hug type thing.
 
“Oh, hi, I missed you too hyungie,” he said with a giggle, trying to pry the older off him without being successful. He sent Sungyeol a questioning look who simply shrugged and continued to make strawberry smoothies like it was the most fascinating thing in the world. It wasn’t. Sungjong had made plenty of them before.
 
That day, while Myungsoo was off at school and Sungyeol was getting them something to eat, they had an intervention. Everyone noticed how awkward the two were, they made no effort to pretend like something hadn’t happened during that week Sungjong was gone. He had to get to the bottom of it.
 
“I think those two are suffering of mega ual frustration.” Dongwoo blurted out nonchalantly, saying it as if it was the most obvious (and normal) thing in the world… which kind of was. And that is how mission Cupid!Jong began.
 
A fail-proof list of plans A-Z had been made. Every day the three put one of the letters to action to get the two together, none of them working the way they were supposed to. Then there was plan L cleverly titled Lock down in Lounge, which was pretty self explanatory.
 
It was such an elaborate plan, the boys had given each other pats on the back when they were done. Every other plan was simple to put to action but this one involved multiple phases.
 
Phase 1: Borrow Sungyeol’s cell-phone and casually walk in to lounge. Pretend to leave cell-phone there, and adlib as you will to make Yeol retrieve it. (“Oh, Yeol, I forgot your phone in the staff lounge, sorry~”)
Phase 2: Get myungsoo in there; Sungjong will take care of this. (“Myungie-hyung, I forgot my jacket on the couch-- mind getting it for me?”)
Phase 3: As soon as Myungsoo is in there, LOCK THE DOORS.
 
Everything had worked out perfectly, specially the locking. Sunggyu had skillfully hidden between the wall and the stack of new books only coming out of hiding when he heard the door click closed. Never had he been so thankful of his procrastinating skills for the boxes weighing a ton served as a way to keep the door closed.
 
----
 
How did it end like this? Recalling the events from that day, everything seemed clear. No wonder the guys had been acting so suspicious. Too bad he didn’t pay much attention to it ‘til now, that he was stuck with the person he least wanted to see. 
 
“Stupid Dongwoo…” he muttered under his breath as soon as he turned and saw Myungsoo standing there, looking at everything but him. He didn’t blame the guy, after all that had happened. He had to admit, though, it kind of hurt him that as soon as Sungjong had returned, Myungsoo had gone back to being clingy. Why couldn’t he be Sungjong?
 
Did I really just ask that?
 
“Ah, Sungyeol… Good work today… I will see you later?” 
 
Sungyeol only nodded uninterested, going back to the task at hand. His cell-phone. That managed to distract him only for a short while because Myungsoo didn’t leave. Giving in to his curiosity, he glanced up to see the guy struggling with the door. “It’s a push door.”
 
“Yeah, I know, it won’t… budge.”
 
no. No. Nonono god no, PLEASE NO.
 
Maybe Myungsoo was just weak? Maybe he wasn’t using enough force? Maybe they were locked in the ing lounge with no way out. It amazed him how the impact of his forehead colliding with the door didn’t make him unconscious. A miracle, he called it.
 
“Sorry to say, but we’re not letting you out ‘til you two stop being blind~”
 
He recognized that voice. 
 
“Yah, Lee Sungjong, you open this door right now before I shave your hair off!”
 
“Sorry hyungies, I can’t do that, because--Oh, look at the time. I have some business to go take care of. Love you, bye~”
 
It was almost amusing how easily Sungjong could throw his…. Myungsoo at him without much care in the world. Why always me? Sungyeol grimaced, giving Myungsoo an exasperated look as if he could do anything. Now that he thought about it, he really didn’t have any idea what the relationship between those two were. He decided against asking, for protection of his own heart.
 
Why my heart?
 
He couldn’t possibly be falling for-- he glanced over at the guy next to him, who looked as tired as he felt-- him, right? He couldn’t be. He didn’t know the guy, at all. A stranger, that’s what he was. A stranger that had a rather shady relationship with his best friend.
 
“I guess we’re sleeping here.” Myungsso’s voice cut through Sungyeol’s thought, snapping him back to reality. Oh hell, he was seriously going to have to spend the night with him, in the same room too. And once again, that uncomfortable feeling returned when they sat on the couch. There was enough space for an elephant to sit between them and even then Sungyeol continued to scoot over. He was convinced that if they sat too close, his heart would give him away. 
 
“What are you thinking about?”
 
“Nothing.”
 
“It doesn’t look like nothing… Is it a girl?”
 
“What? No.”
 
“Oh… A guy perhaps?”
 
“Why do you care?”
 
“Why do you look so alarmed?”
 
Sungyeol frowned, turning his whole body to face Myungsoo who stared at him very intently. 
 
“Stop looking at me like that, it’s creepy.”
 
“I’m not looking at you in any way.”
 
“Yes you are.”
 
“No.”
 
“You are.”
 
“So who’s the guy?”
 
“What?”
 
“The guy you’re thinking about.”
 
His heart stopped for a moment. Why did Myungsoo look so… concerned? Worried? Upset? In the dark of the room he really couldn’t tell.
 
“Dongwoo-hyung,” he lied, being careful with his answer.
 
“Oh. You two seem close.”
 
“We are. We’re two peas in a pod, according the Gyu-hyung. He’s my prank buddy~” It’s not like he had feelings for his hyung, but talking about him made him smile; all the crazy stunts they had pulled together gave him enough reason to do so.
 
“Oh. Do you like him?”
 
“Why do you care?”
 
“I don’t.”
 
Once again, a frown made its way onto his face. If he didn’t care so much, why was he bombarding Sungyeol with questions? Why why why? Being with Myungsoo was hurting his head.
 
“I like him a lot, he’s a good hyung, and an even better friend.”
 
“Oh.”
 
Silence. What else was he supposed to say? He figured his reply had made things a whole new level of awkward they hadn’t yet reached ‘til then. 
 
“You should date him,” Myungsoo suddenly said, leaning back on the couch with a thoughtful look directed at the door. By now Sungyeol had concluded that this kid was mental or something. No stupid, I want to date you. Woah, where did that come from? But he already knew the answer to that question.
 
“Hm, as inviting as that sounds, I’m going to have to reject the idea. I don’t like him that way.”
 
Hearing those words gave Myungsoo a new found courage. He had a chance now, he actually had a chance. Or rather, he could try his luck with Sungyeol and only hope for the best. He wasn’t sure when he had stopped denying the fact that he liked him, but apparently it wasn’t important enough to remember. He glanced over at Sungyeol again, a nervous smile playing on his lips.
 
“Then what about me?”
 
Sungyeol froze.
 
“What about you?”
 
“You should date me.”
 
This was ridiculous, he scoffed and shot a sharp glare at Myungsoo who was terribly close to him now. He had to be kidding. He obviously found out Sungyeol’s feelings and was now playing with him. That had to be it. Other wise he wouldn’t have clearly ignored him, and stuck to Sungjong like a leech. Lee Sungyeol did not enjoy having his heart played with.
 
“Oh aren’t you funny.”
 
“Who says I’m kidding?”
 
Before Sungyeol could come up with a reply, something soft was on his lips. He barely had any time to react, letting his eye slide shut while his mind was completely clouded. What in the hell was happening? He would’ve been convinced he was dreaming if he didn’t feel the sting from Myungsoo’s teeth on his lip. Without thinking, he opened his mouth and completely gave in. He couldn’t fight against him, not when his heart was content and all the questions no longer held importance. Screw his doubts, and screw Sungjong. Myungsoo was his now.
 
----
 
Life was funny, he thought as he sat under the tree, arms wrapped around himself was he cried into his knees. How could something so fantastic die so fast? He should’ve listened to the doubting voices, the ones that kept bringing up stupid Sungjong. Stupid stupid Sungjong…but he had done nothing wrong, nothing at all. Myungsoo had met him first, after all, and all the signs were there.
 
He liked him, Sungyeol already knew that, so why did he allowed himself to be fooled? Sungyeol was stupid, that’s why. Because he truly believed that there was honestly nothing going on between his best friend and his boyfriend, despite all obvious hints, despite the way Myungsoo never stopped clinging. They were together, but nothing changed. Nothing.
 
Five months and he had fallen too deep. Like autumn leaves dancing in the wind, he fell and came in contact with the cold, solid ground. It hurt, it cut deep through his heart, but for what? For nothing, because he had wasted his time playing with girly feelings and gave his heart away, only to end up shattered. It really didn’t get worse than sitting in the park gaining concerned looks from on-lookers passing by, watching him drown in his pain.
 
At least the tears had stopped now.
 
How could he simply turn his back on their plans and run to Sungjong? Sungyeol didn’t-couldn’t- understand. Had it been any other day he wouldn’t have received the biggest slap on the face at the sight of his ex-boyfriend holding onto his best friend as if the world was going to end. The kiss didn’t help either. They ing kissed, right before his own eyes.
 
His whole world collapsed on him. Maybe it wouldn’t hurt as much if it wasn’t Sungjong-- he’d always been insecure, always feeling like Myungsoo’s heart never really belong to him. Myungsoo would always get angry and reassure him that there was absolutely nothing between the two, there never was and never will.
 
“Can’t really say that anymore, can you?” he asked the wind. When had the sun set? Before he realized it he was completely alone in the dark the only light coming from an old flickering lamp in the park. Reluctantly, he picked himself off the ground and made his way home. He didn’t want to see, much less speak, to anyone right now. He ignored the frantic ring of his phone that simply would not stop, figuring ti was probably Daeyeol calling to wish him a happy birthday.
 
Yeah, happy birthday indeed.
 
----
 
“Sungyeol, you don’t understand!” 
 
“No, YOU don’t understand. You hurt me. You threw me away for him. You… you kissed him!”
 
Sungyeol couldn’t bare to look at Myungsoo. He was the one in pain, he was the one who spent the only meaningful day crying, it was just him. Myungsoo had no right to look like a kicked-puppy, he had no right to cry either. Bet you weren’t feeling that guilty yesterday, he thought bitterly.
 
“Yeol… Yeol listen to me, you’re wrong. I didn’t kiss him, I--”
 
“Save it… Just…. Please. Please don’t do this to me-- to yourself.”
 
“Yeol, just stop! Stop making yourself the victim and listen to me for once! Don’t you trust me?”
 
He wanted to laugh. He knew Myungsoo wasn’t preaching about trust now. Instead he shook his head with a sigh.
 
“No, Myung… no. I don’t.”
 
A silence they had long left behind surrounded them again, the faint sound of someone crying filling his ears. Up ‘til now, he’d held in all his anger, all his sadness, not letting his tears make him look weak but seeing Myungsoo so vulnerable tore him apart. Love didn’t just die in a day.
 
“I’m tired.” One more glance at him and he walked away, feeling heavier than he did when he first came in. He broke up with him so his heart would feel better, but why isn’t it working? Because you don’t want to give him up. It was as obvious as day. There was nothing he could do, he was hopeless. At times like this he’d go to Sungjong, but after the coffee throwing he was sure those 13 year of friendship were down the toilet. Not like the kid had shown up at work since then.
 
Everything good in his life was gone. 
 
That’s why girls make pink-promises to not fall for the same guy.
 
----
 
“Yeollie-hyung… Hyungie, please open the door! We need to talk!”
 
Sungjong wasn’t known as the biggest diva for no reason. His stubbornness  could beat that of a pissed off Spanish fighting bull. He didn’t care that his designer jacket was completely ruined because of the permanent coffee stains, or the many death threats via letters he’d received. He’d let it all go, whatever, it wasn’t important. He wasn’t about to lose his best friend over a massive misunderstanding though.
He’d been standing outside of Sungyeol’s apartment since 7am and it was already past noon. After his talk with Myungsoo, the taller had confined himself to his room refusing to leave. It was all his fault, he should’ve it up and dealt with his problems by himself, or gone to Sungyeol instead. How was he supposed to know that things would turn out how they did? He still blamed himself.
 
“Yeollie, please… Hear me out!”
 
Neither his violent banging of the door nor his shouts where getting across to the other. All his texts and calls were ignored as well, Sungyeol even turning off his phone at some point. This was madness. 
 
“Yah, Lee Sungyeol, stop being a baby and open this damn door right now.”
 
To his mighty surprise, it worked. A bundle of unicorn bed sheets opened the door, glaring at the small boy before retreating to the comfort of his nearly destroyed room. Sungjong wasn’t sure it was sanitary or good for his health to be standing in that room; it was as if something had blown up. Okay, a maid it is, he thought while coughing.
 
“What do you want?” a hoarse voice asked him. For a minute, he swore the devil was speaking to him because he knew Sungyeol’s voice and that sure as hell was not it.
 
“To apologize and make things clear to you. Yeol, there is some kind of misunderstanding going on. We didn’t kiss, and I’m sorry he cancelled your birthday plans with you, I didn’t… I didn’t mean for that to happen, I just had to--”
 
“Please… If you’re here to make excuses, you know your way out.”
 
“Yeollie…” No, he couldn’t cry now. He couldn’t become sensitive and bawl because of how hostile Sungyeol was being towards him. He had to clean up the mess he created.
 
“Myungie-hyung… Myungsoo-hyung didn’t kiss me, hell, he can’t! That would be weird!”
 
Sungyeol blinked. “Why?”
 
“Because, yeol! He’s my-- wait. Oh dear god, you didn’t think we--? Oh hell. Yeol, Myungie-hyung is my cousin!”
 
Sungyeol blinked again. “What? Come again?”
 
At this point, Sungjong was laughing hysterically, rolling on the pile of… whatever the hell it was that was on the floor (he couldn’t distinguish between clothes and uniquely decorated food containers). Sungyeol, on the other hand, felt another slap to the face. What in the actual hell was going on?
 
“I--oh god-- no no. You didn’t actually think I-- or he?-- he feelings for each other, did you? Aish.. I told that kid people were going to get the wrong idea… Yeollie, he moved in with me because his Photography school is nearby, and auntie felt it was time he moved out… Out of the whole family, we’re the only two that get along enough to stand each other.”
 
Now he felt stupid again. He couldn’t help the tears that fell down his cheeks. So Myungsoo hadn’t been lying, he really didn’t have a thing for Sungjong. Sungyeol all but threw himself onto his best friend, sobbing into his chest, muttering sorry over and over again. Sungjong could only smile and pat his back.
 
“T-then why was he hugging you? A-and the kiss…” he spoke up again, between sobs.
 
“Oh, that…” Sungjong’s shoulders fell as he let out a deep sigh. He look distant. “He was comforting me, like a good little cousin… I had a very hush-hush relationship because he was afraid of being judged, but, Joonkyu-he.. He just left, just, poof, right out of my life only leaving a stupid letter… Didn’t even say why.. But it’s okay. I’m okay, we’re okay.. But you! You probably walked in at an awkward moment where it looked like hyungie was kissing me, but no, that never happened.”
 
If there was an award for worst best friend and boyfriend of the year, Sungyeol would have won by a land slide. He felt awful. Not only had he broken up with his own boyfriend because of trust issues, but Sungjong… Sungjong needed him, and he threw coffee on him instead. God this .
 
“Jongie, I--”
 
“No no, just go find hyungie. He’s been really down lately… You’re the first guy--hell, person-- he’s ever bothered to get to know on a dating-basis.”
 
He didn’t have to be told twice, and immediately jumped out of bed before Sungjong grabbed his wrist and gave him an are-you-crazy look. He stared back at Sungjong before he realized his clothes were being eyed questionably. Oh right, he was still in his monkey pajamas. He quickly thanked Sungjong before changing.
 
“You better not hurt him, or I’ll find a prettier girl, or boy, for him~” Sungjong called out behind the running figure, a smile on his face. Please let things work out he silently prayed before deciding that it was time to make his grand entrance back at work.
 
----
Where the hell is he?! 
 
He’d been out on a wild goose chase trying to find his boyfriend to no avail. He had checked everywhere; from the bookstore, to the park, and even Sungjong’s home but he wasn’t anywhere. He prayed to the gods above to lend him some slack as he pushed through the ice-cream shop doors. And there he was, sitting in their regular booth with his head down on the table.
 
A soft smile made its way to his lips as he inched closer, then guilt took over his heart. He messed up, big time, what made him think Myungsoo would want him back? Then Sungjong’s words played in his mind and he reluctantly took a seat across the other. Feeling a new presence, Myungsoo slowly lifted his head up to see who it was, his head snapping all the way up when he recognized the person. 
 
“Sungyeol! Sungyeol? What are you…?”
 
“Myung I…”
 
Myungsoo shook his head and smiled. He didn’t care. Whatever it was Sungyeol was going to say held no importance to him, because he was there with him now, and that could either mean they were really through, or he was forgiven. Judging by the taller boy’s glossy, love filled eyes he figured it was the latter.
 
“You really came… I guess that useless cousin of mine isn’t so bad, huh?”
 
“Shut up and kiss me already.” Sungyeol grunted as he leaned over the table to welcome the warmth he’d missed. Two agonizing weeks, and he’d already forgotten how wonderful Myungsoo tasted. When they pulled away Myungsoo pinched his chubby cheeks roughly with a pout on his face.
 
“I hate you. Don‘t you dare ever do that to me again, okay? My heart is fragile.”
 
“Yah, and mine isn‘t?! It’s not my fault you’re such a flirt and cling onto Sungjong like he’s your mommy!”
 
Myungsoo let out and offended gasp as he glared at Sungyeol, “I do not!”
 
“Do too~”
“No!”
 
“Mhm~”
 
“Lee Sungyeol, I will leave you.”
 
“What no, Myungie, I’m kidding!”
 
Then the two burst out laughing, not even realizing when their hands had joined together tightly, fingers laced. Neither knew what was in stored for them in the future, only knowing that they were in too deep to care. After that little misunderstanding, many more came but they got over it rationally. 
 
No one would have expected they would last so long, what with their childish arguing every day. No one knew about their subtle touches, their secret glances at each other, or their whispers of I love yous between heated make-out sessions in the staff lounge. That’s how their relationship worked. Everything was unexpected but welcomed with a smile because it was MyungYeol, and they were strange. They would argue they were just hopeless romantics, and no one ever questioned it because they were.
 
----------
 
A/N: If you actually read this whole thing, let me love you.