The Cat Appears

The Cat Returns

Taehyung and Jungkook are walking home from school when they notice a cat walk between them, tail high and a small box tied with ribbon hanging from its jaws. It pauses on he curb, looks up and dwn the street, and hops to the asphalt to cross.

"Huh. It must be trained." Jungkook shrugs his backpack up his shoulder and nudges his friend. "C'mon. My mom said she'd even feed you if you came over tongit... Tae?"

"I don't like this." Taehyung frowns at the cat on the road. It dropped its box and struggles to pick it up again, unknowing of the moving truck barrelling down on it. "Hold this!"

"Taehyung, wait!"

Taehyung leaps over the low wall and dashes into the street, grabbing the cat by the scruff of its neck. He makes it a few more steps before he trips over his own feet, losing his grip on the cat and unintentionally flinging it into the overgrown grass and bushes on the opposite side of the road. He rolls a couple times, stopping with a leg in the dirty gutter water.

He groans and sits up, knowing he'll feel sore when he goes to bed tonight. "Are you alright, kitty?" His mouth snaps shut when he sees the cat standing up in a small cleaning, dusting itself off and smoothing the fur on its tail. Noticing the attention, the cat straightens, standing tall on two legs, smiles brightly, and bows.

"Thank you so much for saving me. I owe you my life. Are you inured?"

"Ah...N-No, I'm alright."

"I'm glad." The cat bends down and sets the box on its bottom. "Forgive my rush, but I'm in a hurry. I'll be sure to thank you properly later." On four paws again, it takes the box in its mouth again and slips through the bushes.

Jungkook runs to Taehyung's side when there's a hole in the traffic. "Taehyung, are you crazy?!" He drops their backpacks to the curb and takes his friend's arm, helping him to his feet. He frowns at the scuffs and dirty smears on Taehyung's knees and arms. "You always have to go all-out. Geez." He doesn't let Taehyung take his backpack, grabbing his arm, instead, and letting him put some of his weight on Jungkook. "At least you saved that dumb cat, I guess. Let's get home. My mom's totally going to freak."

Taehyung accepts the arm around his waist and limps as best he can, giggling at how cool his best friend is and quietly hoping that cat makes it home safely, too.


a/n: Probably continuing this? I want to. I'd like to do little bits and pieces, because I am a dweeb for cats and The Cat Returns is one of my favourite movies.