Meet the Teller

Of Fortunes and Dates

Hyukjae stepped out of his rusty ford and slammed the door shut, wincing slightly at the loud creaking sound--it was a wonder that the car door hadn't fallen off that goddamn car already. He glanced at the building before him, taking note of the cracking wall paint, whose color  he could only describe as a faded blue...or was it yellow?  On second thought it looked a little green... Nonetheless, the building was definitely not in tip top shape.  

 
He looked up to see a bright neon sign that flickered every few seconds and read the sign; YOUR FUTURE, YOUR FORTUNE. Yup, this was the place.  Hyukjae sighed.  Who had neon signs in this day and age?  He already regretted coming to this place.  He suddenly remembered why he was there in the first place and forced himself up the porch stairs.  Over the course of several months, Hyukjae had visited various places in hopes of getting over his last serious breakup with his girlfriend of 3 years.  The breakup had left him scarred, emotionally, and physically.  Unfortunately, all other places he had tried had told him, in basic terms, get the over it.  Now, this fortune teller was his last resort.
 
He opened the door, which made an unbearable squeaky noise, and stepped into the building.  He barely heard the chimes that were hanging on the door before he was hit with a overwhelming cinnamon scent, and immediately scrunched up his nose.  He glanced around the small room, which consisted of a brown cozy sofa, a tall bookshelf filled with books such as, "What your palm lines say about you" or "The Magic of Tarot Cards", and a desk with dozens of papers scattered over the surface.  His eyes immediately landed on a giant box of cinnamon rolls situated on the desk-half of which were already eaten-and a sign which said, 'OUT TO LUNCH, WILL BE BACK SOON, HAVE A CINNAMON ROLL :)'.  He rolled his eyes and chose to plop down on the sofa instead, sneezing when dust flew from the cushions.  He settled in his thoughts of why he was here again and awaited the man he was expecting.  
 
He was in the middle of reading the 'Fortune Telling Facts' posters on the wall for the third time through when a sudden bang was heard from the back of the room, followed by a loud "".  His eyebrows raised at the sudden commotion, but he made no move.  The door on the other side of the room suddenly swung open, and a disheveled looking man burst through the door, rubbing a big red spot on his forehead. 
 
"I swear the next time I trip over these shoelaces I will cut them off my shoes burn them and throw into the very depths of the-"
The man paused his furious rambling when he took notice of his guest who was seated on his couch and looking very much amused.  He immediately blushed before stammering, "oh, OH, uh, hello! Um uh...sorry for this mess" he motioned towards his desk before realizing he should apologize for his slovenly appearance as well, and proceeded to wave his hands around his body when he saw the weird look Hyukjae was giving him and cleared his throat, 
 
"Uh, well you must be Hyukjae!  Welcome to Your Future Your Fortune!  Sorry you caught me on my lunch break! Have you had a cinnamon role yet? Please! take one!" 
 
With all that being said the odd man hustled over to his desk and picked up his cinnamon roll box before shoving it in Hyukjae's face, an expectant smile on his face.  
"uhm.." Hyukjae began, "I'm...allergic to cinnamon rolls" he blurted out.  That was a lie.  But he needed to say it before the man offered him any more cinnamon rolls, which he was in no mood for eating.  
 
The man's face fell and he quickly retracted the box.
 "Oh! uh, sorry, haha" he laughed awkwardly "well, nevermind then.  How about an introduction! I'm Donghae, and I am the owner of this fortune telling shop.  How may I help you?" He asked before seating himself behind his desk and stuffing his face with a cinnamon roll. 
 
Hyukjae was thoroughly amused at Donghae's actions, and for a minute he even forgot that he was here to discuss a problem.  
"Oh, yes, my problem. Well, you see, a few months ago, my girlfriend broke up with me.  We were dating for 3 years and I was even planning to propose and all, but..she just...left me."
 
"okayyyy..." came Donghae's reply as he swallowed his cinnamon roll, his brows furrowing slightly, leaving him in a cute puzzled expression, Hyukjae noted.  "Is there a reason why? Did she say anything, did you do something wrong?" Donghae didn't seem to comprehend the fact that Hyukjae couldn't respond to three questions at once, and sat there with cinnamon crumbs on his face, expecting an answer.
 
"I don't know what I did wrong!  I called her phone so many times- which she didn't respond to, visited her house, talked to her parents and her friends, but nobody knew anything.  Over these months, I just got more and more depressed.  Can you help me? Maybe...like look into your crystal ball or read some tarot cards to see why, some like that?" He braced himself to be rejected, like all those previous agencies had done.
 
But Donghae just rolled his eyes, cutely, Hyukjae noted again, before saying, "Hyukjae, I hate to break it to you, but my business isn't one of your typical carnival fortune tellers, where a fortune teller looks into a crystal ball and magically sees your future.  In MY shop, we walk through a persons past, and see what that says about their future!! Geez," he huffed, "did you even READ the brochure?"
 
Hyukjae was already feeling better, just by watching Donghae talk.  He had a habit of puffing his cheeks out, making his already attractive features look even cuter.  Hyukjae hadn't thought himself to be bi, but this attractive fortuneteller was sure proving himself wrong.  
"No...I didn't. You were just the first shop to show up on my google searches.  But can you help me out here? I just want to know why she left like she did and move on."
 
Donghae pouted-Hyukjae almost fainted from the cuteness- and replied, "Yeah sure.  I'm not really busy around here anyways...OH! I have an idea!" His eyes suddenly sparkled, 
 
"let's go on a date!"