Steps

Steps
XSYKOTICA
Steps
The large building stood tall and strong. Many students had passed through the doors and corridors to go on to fulfill their dreams. 

Aami stood at the bottom of the stairs leading up to the main entrance. What would await her behind those doors up ahead? She could only hope that she would excel in her major and perhaps eventually get a masters in forestry. 

She gazed up the steps, wondering exactly what life would offer her here.

Would she have kind professors who would help her in her to grow in her knowledge? Would she have teachers that were harsh and strict? 

A group of girls walked past, giggling as they mounted the steps. 

Who would be her friends here? Who would be her enemies?

A couple passed, whispering intimately as they leisurely strolled up the stairs.

Would she find love?

Heartbreak? 

What lay beyond that door at the top of the steps was a mystery. 

She closed her eyes, taking a deep breath.

“Boo.” Someone whispered from the side.

“Ah!” Aami’s eyes snapped open. “Wha—” She turned her head to see her friend Jo, standing there with a cheeky grin. “Don’t do that, unnie. You nearly gave me a heart attack.” She elbowed her friend in the side.

Jo laughed. “Sorry, Aami. Couldn’t help it. You just looked so...” She cocked her head to the side and clicked her tongue. 

“So what?” Aami asked.

“I don’t know.” Jo shrugged and then adjusted her backwards baseball cap over her hair which was wound in a side braid. “You just looked like you could use a little surprise or somethin’.” She chuckled. “Anyway, you ready?” She gestured with her thumb up to the imposing doors ahead of them.


Aami looked up at the doors with eager eyes. There was only one way to find out what life had to offer. This was it! She turned to Jo, a wide grin playing across her lips. “Yep.”

A beat passed.

She quirked her eyes from Jo to the university doors. 

Jo smirked, understanding her gesture. 

They both broke out into a run, mounting the steps two at a time. 

As they ran up the steps, a tall, handsome, young man stood at the bottom of the stairs watching the pair with a smile on his face. His eyes were particularly drawn to the one with the beautiful black hair blowing in the wind as she ran.


The orange and yellow leaves turned brown and soon the trees were bare.

Homework. Projects.

Friendly conversations. And late nights studying at the dorms. 

A boyfriend. A break-up. 

Assignments. Reports. Exams. 



Aami let out a breath as she flopped onto one of the steps, setting her books aside with a tired groan. It had been a long semester. She had earned much recognition on her studies, but not without its toll. She was mentally exhausted. 

She took a deep breath, taking in the chilled air of winter and gazed about her. She pulled her coat tighter around her frame and pulled her scarf closer.

Some students rushed down the stairs, excited that exams were finally over and they had a short vacation to look forward to. Others looked as if they were about to pass out. Their shoulders were hunched as if laden down with the burden from all the stress their classes had put on them. 

“Miss me?” Jo bounded down the steps and plopped down next to her. “Sorry I’m late. Got into a debate about—you know what? Never mind. It’s not important, because we’re done for two weeks.” She grinned and nudged Aami with her elbow. “Got any plans?”

“Not particularly. You?”

Jo scoffed. “Nope. Do I ever?”

The two laughed.

“Wait a sec,” Jo began, looking at Aami. “Don’t you have one of your forestry trips towards the end of break?”

Aami shook her head. “No. That’s right after we get back.”

“Oh, yeah. That’s right.” Jo nodded her head as she looked ahead of them. Her face clouded over for a moment and her eyes trailed off to the right as if watching something or someone.

Aami tilted her head to the right to see whatever it was her friend was looking at. “What? What is it?”

Jo shook her head. “Nothin’.” She waved a hand in dismissal. “Just thought I saw somethin’.” She stood up suddenly, adjusting her scarf closer to her neck for warmth. “Well, should we get going?”

“Sure,” Aami replied, standing up as well and gathering her books. As they began to descend the stairs, Aami caught a strange look on Jo’s face.

“Whaaat?” asked Aami, drawing out the word as she reached a hand up to adjust to her cable-knit cap.

“I was just wondering if you knew that there’s going to be a new student in your forestry class?” Jo said the last part as if it were a question.

“No,” Aami responded, shaking her head slightly. “Don’t tell me that you’re changing your major to forestry!” She looked at her friend with disbelief.

“Nonono. Not me.” She shook her head vehemently. “I just overheard one of the students in my class, saying that he was switching and that he would be in your class by the beginning of the next semester, that’s all.”

“Oh,” Aami replied with a nod. “Is he nice?”

“Yeah. And pretty funny too.”

“Oh. That’ll be nice to have a new student in the class.”

They both stepped off the stairs and onto the lawn, making their way to the dorms.

 

 

The break came and went with a blink of an eye, and a new semester was starting.

Aami approached the steps and saw a small group actively chatting about midway up the stairs. She spotted a familiar face. Jo waved to her, beckoning for her.

Aami mounted the steps toward the group which was made up of mostly of boys who were all laughing and making jokes.

“Hey, Aami!” Jo called out, grasping her gloved hand. “I need to introduce you to some of the guys.” She turned to face the group of boys, who were all very handsome. “Everyone, this Aami. Aami, this is Heechul, Leeteuk, Donghae, Eunhyuk, and Kyuhyun.”

“Nice to meet you!” Aami responded enthusiastically.

The guys all responded likewise in return.

Jo continued, “Kyuhyun is the one who actually just transferred to your class.”

“Oh, really?” Aami looked at him. He was tall with dark brown hair. Very handsome. “It’s nice to have another student in the class.” She smiled politely. “Are you majoring in forestry or something else?”

“No. I’m majoring in theatre and music. But I heard forestry was fun, so I thought I’d give it a go,” Kyuhyun replied.

One of his friends—the one called Heechul— snickered.

Kyuhyun shot him a pointed look.

Goofy smiles played across the other three men’s faces.

Jo looked down at her watch. “I’m gonna go now. Class is gonna start in five minutes.”

“Wait. I’ll walk with you,” Aami said. She turned to the guys. “It was nice meeting you all.”

“You too,” replied Kyuhyun with a wide smile.

Both of the girls waved before mounting up the steps.

As their steps ascended and the girls were out of ear shot, Heechul turned to Kyuhyun with a grin, trying to throw his arm around the taller boy’s shoulder. “Minoring in forestry, huh?”

Kyuhyun shrugged. “It sounds like fun. You get to explore the different reserves and check out all the beautiful scenery…”

“Well, I do admit: Aami is a beauty.” Heechul smirked.

“So, what?” Kyuhyun scoffed. “I really do want to minor in forestry.”

Heechul cocked an eyebrow. “I don’t believe it.”

Leeteuk threw an arm over Heechul’s shoulder. “Let him be. If he wants to minor in forestry, let him. If he’s doing it because of a girl, let him. It’s his choice.”

“Oh, come off it, Dogteuk.” Heechul scoffed. “I’ve seen how you make googly eyes at Jo during class. You can’t talk.”

“What? I don’t sit anywhere near her! She sits in the front.  I sit right in between you and Eunhyuk every day. All I do is stare at the teacher and take notes!”

“You mean you like the teacher too?” Kyuhyun smirked.

Leeteuk shook his head. “Not what I meant.” He looked down at his watch. “Anyway, we better hurry to class any way or else we’re late.” He gave Kyuhyun a pointed look. “You too, dongsaeng. I don’t want to hear about you being late to class again.”

“Alright, umma!” Kyuhyun called behind him as he mounted the steps to enter the building. He did not much care for his first class of the day, but he was excited to start his new class the period after. Forestry really did appeal to him. It seemed interesting by all counts. However, there was a certain girl there that he was secretly hoping to sit by.

 

 

Homework. Assignments.

The new student sitting next to her in class.

Laughing at his jokes.

Seeing his smile.

Assignments. Tests. Studying.

Trips to the forest.

Admiring the beautiful scenery.

Laughing while standing on hills.

Chatting through the brush.

Singing through the forests.

Her smile.

Her laugh.

More classes. More assignments. More projects. More homework. More exams.

The cold slowly warmed to early spring.

Trees started to blossom and the grass began to grow greener.

Another thing was growing too.

Her heart had begun to develop feelings for Kyuhyun.

 

 

Aami walked down the steps slowly, admiring the beauty of the university campus in the late afternoon light. She paused, taking a deep breath of the fresh air.

“Hey, Aami!”

She turned and saw Kyuhyun walking up the steps toward her. She felt her heart begin to race. She smiled and waved. “Hey, Kyuhyun! What are you up to?”

He climbed up the next few steps and stood next to her. “I’m heading to the theatre. We have rehearsals today.”

“How’s the musical been going?”

“Good,” he replied with a nod. “I’m excited for the show. You’re coming, right?”

“Of course! I wouldn’t miss it for the world.” She sent him an eager and encouraging smile.

“Good, I’m glad, little Aami.” He ruffled her hair.

“Will you stop that?” She adjusted her hair back into place. “I don’t like it when you do that.” It was annoying. He was always teasing her like that. And he was always calling her ‘little’ despite the fact that she was rather tall.

“Maybe.” He did it again.

“Hey!” She punched him the arm and fixed her hair. “That’s not funny.”

“It kinda is,” he said this was a straight face as he ruffled her hair again.

She let out a sigh. He was always like this. Constantly teasing her. It was like he viewed her as his little sister or something. The thought made a knot form in her stomach.

She swatted his hand away. “Stop it, Kyu!”

“Why?” He paused, but Aami could see the mischievous look in his eyes. “We’re just friends, right?” He swung an arm over her shoulder. “Like brother and sister?”

She felt a lump form in , but she nodded and sent him her best smile. “Yep.”

He ruffled her hair again.

“Hey! Will you—” she began, but was immediately cut off by the sound of her own laughter as Kyuhyun tickled her side a bit. “Stop! Sto—!” She hit him in the arm as he pulled away with a chuckle.

“See you around, little Aami.” He winked and started back up the steps.

Aami watched him for a moment before turning around in frustration, adjusting her hair. She let out a sigh. Only boyfriends acted like that with their girlfriends, right? Or siblings.

She exhaled. Siblings? Is that how he really felt about their relationship?

She glanced back at him as he reached the top step, hands in his pockets as he if he did not have a care in the world.

“Aami?”

She heard a familiar voice behind her and saw Jo, Leeteuk, and Heechul there. Leeteuk and Heechul seemed to be looking in Kyuhyun’s direction; the former with his eyebrows knit and the latter with a scowl on his face.

Aami smiled and waved at the three. “Hey!”

“Hey!” Jo’s eyes darted from Aami to Kyuhyun’s retreating figure, back to Aami. “Ready to go to that new pastry shop you’ve been wanting to try?” She smiled.

“Yeah.” Aami nodded, pushing the thought about Kyuhyun out of her mind for the time being. They all turned and headed down the stairs. As they descended, Jo sent a look over her shoulder, her lips pursed.

 

A week passed. Then two. Then three. Four.

More assignments. More tests.

Conversations over the phone with him.

Teasing her on the steps before rehearsals.

Joking in class.

His smile.

His laugh.

The playful look in his eyes.

Her heart fluttered and soared and knotted all at once.

Her feelings were stronger.

But where did he stand?

 

 

 

Jo left her class with a heavy heart. She had not been paying much attention in class. She was distracted with what she consistently saw. It seemed to her that Kyuhyun was treating Aami like a girlfriend, but—what was their understanding? She had caught a certain look in Aami’s eye that—

“Hey, Jo? Jo?”

She blinked and looked at the man next to her. “Oh hey, Leeteuk.” She smiled.

Leeteuk tilted his head in concern as they continued to walk through the crowded corridor. “What’s going on with you? During class, you looked like you were a million miles away.”

“I think maybe I’m just tired.” She chuckled as they left the smaller building and began to walk down one of the trails that led to the main building.

Leeteuk paused in his step, gently taking Jo’s hand in his. “Hang on one moment.”

“Yeah?” she asked, adjusting the bag strap on her shoulder.

 “You’re worried about Aami, aren’t you?” He looked down into her eyes and could already see the answer there.

“Yeah. I mean—” She looked down with a sigh. “I don’t want her to get hurt. You’ve seen how Kyuhyun acts. He’s so close to her, but… Does he realize how much he likes her or is stringing her along or is he just being plain stupid?” She bit the inside of her lower lip in irritation.

Leeteuk bit his lip to prevent himself from laughing at his girlfriend.

She crossed her arms. “I have half a mind to give him a good old-fashioned smack on the back of the head and knock some sense into him!”

Leeteuk couldn’t help but laugh now.

“What?” she cocked an eyebrow up at him. “Are you laughing at me?”

“Maybe…” He grinned, making his dimple appear.

She hit his shoulder playfully. “This is serious.”

“I know, I know.” Leeteuk nodded. “Heechul and I have been talking about it too. We know that he likes her. He had a crush on her before they even met, and now…” He puffed up his cheeks with air. “I just don’t know what he’s doing.”

They mounted the steps and saw Aami and Kyuhyun sitting on the steps on the far left side.

“Should we go over there or let them be?” Jo asked.

“Depends. Are you going to hit Kyuhyun if he starts flirting with Aami?”

“Possibly.”

They felt someone step between them, throwing an arm around each of their shoulders. “I think that’s a great idea,” Heechul said with a smirk. “That kid’s been getting on my nerves lately. If he likes a woman, he should just tell her already.”

“Agreed,” replied another voice as Eunhyuk and Donghae joined the party.

Heechul smirked. “Let’s have a little fun then…” He bounded up the steps, crossing over to the pair, Donghae and Eunhyuk following close at his heels.

Leeteuk and Jo exchanged worried glances and bolted after them.

After the customary greetings, Heechul flopped next to Aami, pulling out his cell phone. “Let’s take a selfie.” Since Heechul often took selfies, this was not especially surprising. However, once he put an arm around Aami’s shoulder, Kyuhyun’s eyebrows raised slightly. Heechul snapped the picture and then looked at it with glee. “It’s perfect. I look amazing as always. Aami looks pretty too though, don’t you think?” He held out the phone so that Donghae, Eunhyuk, Leeteuk, and Jo could see the picture. 

Kyuhyun pursed his lips together, but did not say anything.

“I’d like to take a picture with Aami too,” replied Eunhyuk, switching places with Heechul as he pulled out his own cell phone. This time, Eunhyuk wrapped an arm around Aami, pulling her close to himself.

Kyuhyun’s eyes flashed, but he remained silent, though a strange tension rose through his being.

He felt his stomach knot and a lump form in his throat.

That’s when Leeteuk and Jo noticed it. As the camera snapped the picture, Kyuhyun glared at the two next to him taking the picture.

After Eunhyuk went to admire his photograph, Kyuhyun cleared his throat. “Hey, Aami. We should take a picture together now.”

“Sure,” she replied, feeling her heart quicken a bit.

Kyuhyun pulled out his cell phone and pulled up the camera. “Ready?”

“Yeah,” she replied with a smile as she tucked a stray hair behind her ear.

“Good.” Kyuhyun turned to the camera. Before he clicked it, however, he suddenly wrapped an arm around her waist and pulled her as close as he could to himself.

His smile widened.

His grip grew a bit tighter, though still gentle.

His heart quickened.

Aami felt her heart pound within her chest and echo in her ears. She felt both embarrassed by her body’s sudden proximity to him and rather warm and secure being in his embrace like that.

The camera clicked and Kyuhyun’s arm relaxed around her, though he did not remove it from her waist yet.

She glanced up at him, wondering what was on his mind.

He smiled down at the picture before saving it to his home screen. He put the phone back in his pocket, a satisfied look in his eyes.

 

 

Another week went by.

Homework. Projects.

A trip to another reserve.

Hiking through the woods with him.

Seeing her walk along a fallen log.

Sitting together on a tree stump.

Laughing.

Playing.

Joking.

Teasing.

Singing.

Her heart throbbed.

So did his.

Two weeks.

Several more chats before rehearsals.

The play.

His voice was beautiful.

Though she had heard it before, it was even more beautiful on stage.

She was spellbound.

He could see her in the audience.

He was ecstatic.

Three weeks.

Late night conversations over the phone.

She did not want to hang up.

Neither did he.

 

Aami and Jo were busy packing the last of their luggage in their dorm room. Jo zipped up the last piece and breathed out a sigh of satisfaction. “There.” Her cell phone beeped and she fished it out of her pocket, taking a look at her new message. “Hey Aami, I’m gonna head out now. Leeteuk wants to meet up with me early. See ya at the pastry shop in an hour.”

“Alright. See ya, unnie!” Aami sent her a quick wave as Jo bounded out the door. After the door shut, Aami let out a sigh. The year was over. They were leaving the next morning. It had been a good year. She had passed her classes with flying colors, but…

Kyuhyun still had not spoken a word to her that indicated how he felt beyond that of just average comradeship. There were times when she was so sure that he must like her. But what if he just showed more than he felt? What if he was just so comfortable around her that he—

She shook the thought from her mind, forcing herself to focus on packing instead. She reached into her purse to get her cell phone which had the packing checklist saved. “Hmm…” She shifted through it, her hands becoming faster in their search to find it. She scrambled through the purse, pulling everything out one at a time. She turned her purse over and shook it. Nothing.

She searched her mind, trying to remember where she last had it. Her eyes widened. She must have left it in her last class. She glanced at the clock. She hoped it was not too late to retrieve it. She bolted for the door and headed out to the main building of the university, which now seemed empty and deserted.

She scrambled up the stairs, her hair flying behind her.

She heard chuckling behind her.

“This reminds me of when I first saw you!” an all too familiar voice called from behind her.

She stopped in her tracks, whirling around.

Kyuhyun stood at the bottom of the steps, a cheeky grin playing across his lips.

Aami’s chest rose and fell quickly from running all the way from the dorms, though even she noticed how her heart was beating even faster now that he was there. She gestured to the building. “I can’t talk right now.” She turned around again.

“Wait! Aren’t you forgetting something?” His voice sounded mischievous.

Aami turned around once more and saw Kyuhyun waving her cell phone in his hand. “How did y—?” She broke off, staring at him incredulously.

“I stole it,” he said straight-faced.

She cocked an eyebrow, not believing him in the least.

He chuckled. “Noticed you dropped it on the wait out of class. I had to take care of a few things first, but I was on my way to return it to you.” He smiled innocently.

She giggled.

He grinned.

He started to ascend the stairs towards her as she started to descend. He paused when his eye level reached hers. “Here.” He held out the phone.

“Tha—” She reached out to retrieve it, but he pulled his hand away and hid it behind his back. “Hey…”

“On second thought…” He tilted his head, his eyes wandering up. “…maybe I’ll keep it. That way I have a token of yours to remember you by over the summer. I wouldn’t want to forget that beautiful face of yours.” He winked.

Aami felt a tinge of irritation by his flirtatious manner. “Kyu.” She held out her hand and wiggled her fingers, gesturing for him to give back her cell phone.

He chuckled. “Alright, my little Aami.” He pulled the phone from behind his back and placed it in the palm of her hand.  “There you are.” His eyes twinkled in amusement.

“Tha—” Before she could finish thanking him, he leaned forward and kissed her gently on the cheek. “I love you,” he whispered in her ear before pulling away.

She felt her heart leap with joy and then begin to pound even harder in her chest.

He chuckled and then took another step up, so that he was now looking down at her. “Aami, would you be my girlfriend?”

She nodded. “Of course.” She chuckled. “I’ve been waiting for you to ask.”

“Funny. Because I’ve been waiting for you to ask.” He sent her a cheeky grin and a playful wink.

She laughed and punched him playfully in the chest.

He wrapped his arms around her, his eyes twinkling mischievously. “I guess I’ve got some catching up to do then.” He leaned forward and his lips soon met hers in a gentle kiss.

After a moment, they both pulled away with soft, embarrassed smiles on their faces.

Kyuhyun took her hand in his. 

With their hands thus entwined together, they both began to descend the steps slowly.  

 

It was their first steps in the life they would come to share together.