Chapter 1

Homewrecker

HOMEWRECKER

Ignorance is bliss.

Lipstick on collars and the cold sheets of an empty bed mean nothing. That is what you told yourself anyway every night when Kyungsoo stayed out with the guys. Every smile at his phone when he thought you couldn’t see.

It was slowly breaking your heart.

As the subway car rattled into the station you shook the toxic thoughts away and followed the steady line of businessmen, careful not knock into their briefcases and scatter many nights worth of paperwork into the gutter. It was a grim Friday afternoon in the city and everyone was leaving work to spend the night with their loved ones, or to spend the night in the arms of a stranger. You sighed knowing that you wouldn’t have either. Kyungsoo would probably be getting ready to enjoy a night with the guys in a club somewhere. Soju shots, a pumping bassline and some beautiful woman pressed against his front whist you lay in the stone cold bed sheets and wonder what went wrong.

Or maybe that was just your overactive imagination. You hoped so anyway.

But even your twisted mind couldn’t have prepared you for the mess that graced you the moment you opened your front door. Your childhood friend with her head in the lap of your longtime boyfriend, his face contorted and shirt ripped open. You stood stupefied for what seemed like an age, everything slowly slotting into place.

It was all true. It wasn’t in your head.

The revelation caused your legs to move forward, the sound of your footsteps startling the female on her knees and signaling Kyungsoo to your presence. The look of total indifference on his face was all you needed to see to realise that this was his intention.

He wanted you to know.

image