A Job Offering

A Change of Path

Damn this stupid article. I can’t even figure out what the most important detail must be written first! What the heck. My head’s going to explode any minute now trying to figure out how to arrange all these long and boring details about a crime scene.

I decided to take a break from writing, so I went outside to breathe some fresh air. I went to a nearby park and sat on the swing. Memories of my past two years in college began to sink in. I realized that it was definitely hard for me to cope up with something that has been new to me. Honestly, I am left behind from my classmates.  I could see that they have improved a lot during those two years. And me? I’m still the same. Although I did improve a bit but you can’t still take away the feeling of being useless and inferior when you’re around with them.

While I was in a deep thought, I started singing a song. It makes me feel relaxed whenever I sing. Even though I’m not as good as Baek Jin Young, I can still sing softly with my cool voice. Maybe I just need a little practice and everything would work out. Some people say that I have a beautiful voice, but I’m just not confident enough to sing in public, so I prefer singing alone in a room or at a quiet place.

 

I decided to go home after an hour  of contemplating my thoughts. While walking down the street, I saw a silhouette at the other side of the road.  My initial thought was to run, but it might caught the attention of the person on other side. so I decided to act like he’s not there. But then I was starting to get scared when I heard loud and hurried footsteps behind me.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

He’s getting closer.

Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap.

Aaaaahhhhh!!

I screamed when that guy caught my wrist. When I turned around to check who he was, I was surprised to see a familiar face.

“Damn Byun Baekhyun are you going to give me a heart attack?”

Byun Baekhyun, who happens to be one of my childhood friends, is a student at SM Academy of Arts. He has a very husky and powerful voice that can reach into high notes. No wonder he got easily accepted at SMAA. In addition, this guy often gets on my nerves for he can be really playful and stubborn sometimes.

“Sorry. I didn’t mean to scare you. But you should have seen the look of your face! It was hilarious!”

“Shut up you freak. I’m going home. I don’t have time to play with you.”

“Oh come on. Can’t you at least accompany me at the convenience store? I’m hungry and I missed you! We haven’t been seeing each other lately. What have you been doing?”

“You don’t need to know. And I’m not going with you so bye!”

I started walking away from him but he blocked my way.

“Please?”. He begged with his signature puppy eyes.

“No.”

“Pretty please?”

“I said no.”

“Just for tonight?”

“Okay, okay. You’re so annoying! Let’s go just there and get this over with.”

 

We arrived at mini stop. Baekhyun bought two packs of ramen and two cans of beer. Beer? Why did he buy that?.

“Um..what’s the beer for? I asked him.”

“For drinking.”

I rolled my eyes.” I know that, but do you have a problem or something? It’s so rare for you to drink.”

“No, I don’t have any problems,  but it looks like you have one. So we’re going to drink a little.”

“What? You know that I am a bad drinker. I might get drunk here.”

He laughed. “It’s just one can. It can’t knock you out immediately. I’m also here, so you’re in safe hands.”

I raised an eyebrow to him, but I decided to shrug off my worries. There’s nothing wrong with one can of beer, right?

 

“So why have you been looking so down at the park?” He asked.

“Nothing. I’m just thinking how hard life is.”

“Wow, that’s deep. Anyway, It’s been a while since I heard you sing like that. You’re actually pretty good. You should probably join us at *insert club here*. We could use a female singer like you.”

“Hmmm..I’ll think about it. I don’t know if I can still squeeze it on my schedule.”

“Oh come on now. You just have jam with us for two hours and the food there is free!”

“I’m not sure. I haven’t tried singing in public. What if my voice suddenly cracked? It’s embarrassing!”

“You’re going to be fine. I’ll back you up so that I could cover for you. Besides, the pay is good- you can buy your favorite albums and concert tickets with it.”

“I’ll think about.” I sighed.

After a quick moment of silence, my eyebrows furrowed when I realized what his true intentions were.

“Yah, you just need someone to drink with.”

“Hmmm..maybe?” He laughed.

I glared at him.

“Hey, It’s not like we’re strangers and I’m just trying to cheer you up.”

I looked back at him and I still couldn’t take off the suspicious look on my face.

He blinked his eyes a few times showing that he’s innocent. He then took a big gulp of beer and stood up.

“It’s getting late. Let me take you home.” He said.

 

We finally arrived at my house, and I noticed that the lights are all off. They are probably sleeping now. I must have taken so much time outside.

“Thanks for the treat.”

“No problem little missy. By the way, don’t forget to call me if you’ve already made your decision.

“I will. Bye.”  I waved at him and went inside my house.

I went straight to my room and noticed that my laptop is still on. I forgot that there was still an article I need to finish. Feeling exhausted and sleepy, I decided to turn my laptop off and continue doing it tomorrow morning. I’m not in the mood to write something right now; my head’s been full of what Baekhyun offered a while ago.

There’s nothing wrong with trying out something new, right? Why don’t I give it a shot?

I grabbed my cellphone and dialed Baekhyun’s number.

“Hello?”

“Hi little missy!”

“I know it’s already late but I’ve thought about what you said earlier.”

“Good. So are you willing to do it or not?”

“I’ll do it.”