Tic. Toc.

The Phone Call

Tic. Toc.

It's loud...

A jacket and a navy blue tie were carelessly strewn across the floor of a dim lit living room. With disheveled jet black hair and scrunched up white shirt that was a little ed at the top, Taekwoon was lying down across the couch with an arm covering his eyes. His breathing was steady, but he wasn't asleep.

Tic. Toc.

It's too loud...

He was tired, physically and mentally. It was one of those nights after a very long day at work. Fortunately, it was a Saturday the next day, but that didn't make any less stressful for Taekwoon. He would be back to his same old routine the next week. His mind wasn't helping him either because it eventually drifted off to a figure that he tried so hard to let go, but kept on creeping back whenever these nights came around. His head was throbbing.

Tic. Toc.

It's too damn loud!

Taekwoon groaned and forcefully pushed himself to sit up, not knowing whether he just cursed at the clock that hung above him or his head which was full of lingering thoughts of that one person. He grabbed his handphone off the coffee table and flicked it open. His thumb was moving on its own and it didn't surprise him that he had stopped at that person's name in the contact list.

Tic. Toc.

Wonshik...

If stares could break something, Taekwoon would have already broke his phone by now. Usually he would toss his phone aside after a while and went straight to sleep, but somehow tonight he missed Wonshik. He missed him so much that he felt his heart constrict and that he suddenly felt nauseous. It had been two years since Taekwoon last saw or heard from him. He was determined to forget about his college love, but he admitted that he was a coward and deep down inside he was still in love with Wonshik. It was why he never deleted the other's number, knowing that he'd still remember it by heart.

Tic. Toc.

...Should I?

Taekwoon wanted to call him so bad, to hear his enchanting deep voice that would always left him mesmerized and his laugh that sounded so free that he couldn't help but to join in. Taekwoon didn't realize that he was gripping on his phone so hard until his fingers screamed in pain. But he was a coward, he was afraid, afraid of rejection. He could never make himself to press that glowing green button even though he knew that Wonshik might have changed his number and that he wouldn't be able to reach him. Maybe that was what he was really afraid of.

Tic. Toc.

Screw it!

The brooding man heaved out a deep sigh as he ran his long slender fingers through his hair in frustration. But he was sick, sick of being weak and trapped in his own mind. So with the little courage he had left, Taekwoon finally pressed the call button. His heart was beating rapidly as he lifted the phone by his ear, chewing on his bottom plump lip and gripping on the edge of the leather couch as he waited for the dial tone. First ring, second ring, he was about to end it when suddenly the line was picked up on the third.

Tic. Toc.

"...Hello?"

It's him.

There was a pause just before the person said their greeting. The voice on the other side was deep and soft, calm yet somehow holding back a thousand of emotions. Taekwoon gulped and was already on the verge of tears. He missed him so much and he couldn't believe that he was finally hearing Wonshik's voice after two years without communication which felt like eternity to him. He was speechless, his words were caught on his throat and he was holding his breath.

"Taekwoon?" Wonshik called out to him after a few minutes of silence.

Taekwoon's heart skipped a beat at the mention of his name. Happiness was already bubbling inside of him knowing that Wonshik still had his number or that he didn't forget. Wonshik could hang up on him of he wanted to, but what made Taekwoon buoyant was that he didn't. The scruffy male then forced himself to inhale and exhale at a steady pace in order to calm his nerves down. And when he felt that he was ready, With a voice so soft that he was almost whispering, Taekwoon finally spoke up.

"...Hi."

"Hey, it's been long." Taekwoon could make out that the other was smiling by the sound of his voice and that made him even more lightheaded.

"Yeah, how are you?" He was forcing himself to sound as casual as he could while inside his head he was screaming to say that he missed Wonshik so bad.

"I'm, I'm good." There was a bit of hesitation in Wonshik's gravelly voice, but Taekwoon decided not to question it. "...How about yourself? Are you doing alright?"

The black haired man swore that he was about to break down at how concerned the other sounded. But he choked back his emotions and tried his best not to spill. With a croaked and  breathy voice, Taekwoon answered, "Yes... I'm doing fine."

They soon fell back into another silence yet it wasn't awkward nor it was uncomfortable, it felt nostalgic. Taekwoon listened to the other's breathing and wondered if Wonshik was doing the same since he didn't utter a single word after their short greetings. It was amazing how just by the sound of hot air through the telephone could make Taekwoon forget his long day at work and just made him relaxed. 

Tic. Toc.

I miss you...

"Hey, do you want to maybe, you know, meet up or something?" After what seemed for like hours, Wonshik eventually broke the string of silence between them.

Taekwoon's breathing gets hitched and was taken aback by the sudden question. Adrenaline started to rush through every veins and Taekwoon was thrilled that Wonshik was asking him out. He wasn't really expecting much when he decided to press that call button.

"Yes! I mean... Yeah, sure." He mentally cursed himself and felt like hiding under a rock at how excited and willing he sounded.

Wonshik released a heartfelt chuckle on the other side of the line at Taekwoon's response and the latter couldn't help the blush creeping up to his cheeks. Fortunately, this wasn't a video call or else he wouldn't be able to live off the embarrassment. He was already falling at Wonshik's baritone and he was now practically melting at his little laugh. With an inaudible sigh, Taekwoon let himself sank on the couch, his lower lip swollen because of the constant nibbling.

"Alright then. Our usual cafe, at ten?" Taekwoon's lips curled in reflex to a wide smile at how lighthearted Wonshik voice was. He could easily picture the little simper that he adored so much etched on Wonshik's handsome face. God, how he missed him.

Tic. Toc.

"I'll be there."

 


A/N: this was supposed to be a oneshot, but decided to break into two parts. aff was being an a** and there was a glitch earlier orz. will be posting the next chap later today or tomorrow. what do you think will happen? 'till next time c;