Chapter 14

What a Beautiful Mess This Is
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Kyungsoo is sitting in a quaint café,  a jazzy tune playing softly in the speakers as he waits for Jongin who’s lining up at the counter to get their coffees. He’s attractive even from the back and Kyungsoo drinks it all in, smirking when Jongin shifts his weight from one leg to another as he patiently waits for the elderly lady to finish her order. 

 

Trying to rid of the first date jitters, he drums his fingers on the wooden table top, timing it to the beat of the song and he thinks of appropriate things to bring up on first dates. Hobbies? Work? Jongin already knows about those though, they’d talked about it tirelessly at the apartment on saturdays when Kyungsoo had to work from home. His fingers lose all rhythm as he considers other stuff to talk about because he sure as hell doesn’t want this date to be boring and awkward.

 

Jongin finally comes back, biting his lip as he carries a tray in both hands, taking great care not to spill the coffee (and Kyungsoo thinks it’s one of the cutest faces Jongin has ever made). He breathes out a sigh of relief as he sets it down on their table and Kyungsoo sees he’d also gotten them a plate full of assorted muffins and chocolate-chip cookies. He smiles when Jongin hands him his cup before taking his own, and settles the plate of goodies on the table.

 

Jongin scoots his chair nearer, close enough to Kyungsoo that their arms almost touch. He reaches over for the sugar canister, the same time Kyungsoo does, and they both smile shyly  at the way their hands are joined. Kyungsoo pulls his hand back (Jongin’s warm touch still tingling on his skin), and he waves at the other to go first, but Jongin places it in front of him, silently telling him to take it. Kyungsoo doesn’t want their first date to start with any sort of arguing so he concedes, taking a spoonful of sugar before nudging it toward the other. He takes it, not before giving Kyungsoo his most heart-melting smile and he’s saying something to him, but Kyungsoo doesn’t get why all he hears is faint ringing.

 

“What?” he frowns at Jongin. It goes quiet again, save for the pleasant music in the background. “I’m sorry I didn’t catch that.”

 

Jongin looks confused but repeats it, and as soon as he opens his mouth, the ringing starts again and Kyungsoo is close to panicking when it stops just when Jongin pauses. It must have been evident on his face because Jongin is the one frowning this time, shaking his head at him and when he speaks again the ringing starts--

 

Kyungsoo jolts awake, his open eyes taking in the darkness  spread across his apartment. The light from the street lamp outside casts weird shadows on his walls and he blinks at them while his brain slowly surfaces to consciousness. Just a damn dream, he thinks regretfully.  His eyes gradually grow accustomed to the dimness and he realizes belatedly that his phone's ringing. It abruptly stops and a beep alerts him to a message. He pulls himself to at least sit up before grabbing it off the table.

 

The time on the screen tells him he’d been napping peacefully for almost an hour. Who knew kissing Jongin expended his energy so much? He laughs softly at that, then furiously blushes because he remembers it again, the feel of Jongin’s warm lips on his. He doesn’t think he’ll forget anytime soon. He honestly doesn’t want to.

 

A few deep breaths calm his frantic heartbeat  and he rolls out his shoulders and stretches his back to ease out the kinks in his spine because the couch isn’t the most comfortable place to sleep on. He checks his phone again and sees three missed calls, one from Joonmyeon and two from an unknown number. It’s not something he’s concerned about because he always gets calls from work from unlisted numbers. Instead, he gets up and pads sluggishly to the light switch on the wall, sleep still fuddling his mind. When he flicks it on, a bulb in his brain turns on as well, flooding him with the bright realization that  it might be Jongin who’s calling. 

 

He runs to the phone left on the couch, socked feet almost sliding off-balance in his haste. A third and more careful inspection of his phone reveals five text messages received from the very same number.

 

Received: 5:52 PM

Hi Kyungsoo. It’s Jongin.  :)

 

 

Received: 5:55 PM

Hi Kyungsoo. It’s Jongin.  :)

 

 

Received:6:14 PM

Hi Kyungsoo. This is Kim Jongin.  I sent you a message, maybe you didn’t get it? Save my number.  :)

 

 

This one has him giggling because Jongin typed his whole name like he thought Kyungsoo had forgotten.

 

 

Received:  6:28 PM

Is this Do Kyungsoo’s number? I called but no one’s picking up.

 

 

Received: 6:37

I’m sorry. My friend probably gave me the wrong digits. Sorry for bothering you with the calls and the texts. Have a wonderful evening.  :)

 

 

The last message makes him swoon because can he be any more precious and cute. He’s grinning like a nutcase as he calls the number, taking a seat on the couch, eagerly waiting for Jongin to answer.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Hey, it’s me.”

 

“Kyungsoo!” His heart skips at the genuine excitement in Jongin’s voice.  “So this is really your number? I thought you’d given me the wrong one.”

 

“I’m really sorry Jongin, I fell asleep. Guess I was having such a nice dream I didn’t hear you call.”

 

“Me right? You were dreaming about me?”  He’s teasing but the tinge of cockiness in his voice makes Kyungsoo all flustered.

 

“O-Of course not! Don’t… don’t be ridiculous. I wasn’t---”

 

“Oh my god, it’s true! You were dreaming about me! That is the cutest thing Kyungsoo.”

 

Kyungsoo groans because what else can he do? He doesn’t have the strength to disagree because Jongin sounds too happy right now.

 

“So, what’re you up to now?” He says in an attempt to steer the conversation into one that won’t cause him further humiliation.

 

He hears Jongin clear his throat before replying. “I’m still at practice. We’re taking a break right now. You? Got any plans for tonight?”

 

“Hmm. Just stay here I guess, cook dinner, subsequently eat said dinner, shower, then turn in for the night.”

 

“Aw, I want to have a bite of that dinner.” He can almost imagine the pout on Jongin’s lips, and how cute he must look.

 

Kyungsoo doesn’t even pass off the chance and quickly says, “Why don’t you come over? After you’re done with practice.”

 

“Yeah? You’ll cook for me?” He’s sure Jongin’s smiling now, the fondness of his voice flowing through the line, onto his fingertips and  warming every cleft and hollow of his heart.

 

And Kyungsoo so wants to reply yes, I’ll cook for you, anything you want, anything you can think of wanting, at anytime of any day, be it at  the asscrack of dawn or in the mid-afternoon when my kitchen is sweltering in heat, I’ll do it, because it’s you who’s asking me to. But of course he doesn’t say it, looking like a basket case is not something he wants to happen where Jongin is involved. So he responds with a simple but heartfelt “Sure, I’ll cook.”

 

Kyungsoo hears a sudden scuffle at the other end, and  different muffled voices speaking out.

 

“Whos’s that? Who’s cooking dinner?”

 “Is it your mom? Can we come too?” 

“I haven’t had a decent meal Jongin, lemme come with you!”

 

An obviously disgruntled Jongin replies at them that   no, it isn’t my mom and hell no you definitely can’t come and-- HEY! GIMME MY PHONE BACK CHANYEOL I SWEAR ON EVERYTHING THAT IS HOLY I’LL KICK YOUR FLAT SO HARD mmmph--

 

“Hello.” A familiar rough voice speaks at the other end of the line. “Who do I have the pleasure of speaking with?”

 

“Uh hi? This is Do Kyungsoo. Who’s this? Did… did you just assault Jongin?”

 

“Oh no, we’re just having a bit of fun--”

 

“Dammit Chanyeol!! Sonofa! Let me go you guys. I’LL KICK ALL YOUR ASSES!!”

 

“Aaanyway, as you might have heard, this is Chanyeol. And we’ve actually met Kyungsoo! If you remember.”

 

“Oh yeah, I remember.” The image of a beanstalk with big teeth and even bigger ears come to him. “Hi Chanyeol. Is Jongin okay though? He sounds like he might pop a vein or something.”

 

“Nah, he’s juuust peachy. So, did I hear correctly? You’re cooking dinner?”

 

“Yeah, I am.”

 

“Oh? Can we come too? We’ve only had fastfood for weeks and are in desperate need of a healthy homecooked dinner. I can almost feel my arteries clogging from all the grease.”

 

Poor guys, Kyungsoo thinks, feeling  very sympathetic . “Uhm… it’s okay I guess

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter