write me a love song

write me a love song

warning: BORING

 

 

whoever thought that music majors had it easier than the rest of the school because they had composition projects in place of written exams needed to be pushed off a cliff. 

yoongi hadn’t had more than three consecutive hours of sleep in a day in over a week. he could feel himself dying

“don’t be a drama queen. it ain't that bad,” his walking hole of a friend and fellow music major namjoon said after he scoffed at yoongi’s pain. 

“your hands are shaking,” yoongi pointed out vindictively. 

namjoon looked down at his hands like he hadn’t seen them before. “oh, will you look at that.”

yoongi smugly sipped his triple shot espresso and didn't say another word. 

since he didn’t have to study per say, yoongi didn’t need to step into the library. he just liked to because it was one of the quietest places in the school and he needed inspiration via change in scenery. he could only stare at the posters on his bedroom walls for so many hours before his muse was kicking inside his skull for him to find something different to look at. 

he really should have realized what the quiet would do combined with week’s worth of sleep deprivation. one moment he was silently admiring the way chunks of hair fell into the eyes of the clearly unwashed freshman sitting across from him. the next, he was blinking awake to someone’s furious whispers above him.

“im not going to do that! what if he castrates me when he wakes up? whatever its not like i need that book. i mean, i could just order another one…two days before my final. oh lord im screwed…stop laughing at me, it’s not funny!”

all this was spoken in a high, hushed whisper wail of a boy in the throes of a nearing panic attack. 

yoongi registered the textbook his head was resting on and connected the dots. though for the life of him, he wouldn’t have been able to explain why exactly, when he felt movement above his head, he closed his eyes and pretended to be asleep still. 

maybe it was the eleventh triple shot of espresso rolling in his gut. maybe it was the curiosity to see what this student might do to get back his book.  

there was a soft touch at his forehead where a bit of hair must have fallen out of his beanie. the boy delicately pushed it back, pausing when it brushed against yoongi’s eyelashes and they instinctively fluttered. 

it sounded like the boy was holding his breath. he relaxed when he saw yoongi breathe a couple times, and laughed softly at himself, sweetly breathless like he had his heart in his throat. 

the sound made yoongi’s fingers twitch. there was a familiar jolt running through him and finally words–words–popping into the dusty cavern of his mind. finally some inspiration after a week of drought. 

it was the desperation to get the lyrics out before he lost them that had yoongi’s head shooting up, barely grazing the other boy’s, who fell back with a sharp gasp.

yoongi didn’t mind him, busy grappling around for his notebook. 

“pen, pen, i need a pen!” yoongi growled and if by magic, a pen appeared in his left hand. he began scribbling, the words coming out harsh, black and damn near illegible for how quickly his hand was moving to keep up with his brain.

it was alright though. when yoongi glanced over what he'd written, it looked just the way it was supposed to sound. 

when yoongi finally felt like he had written enough, his mouth already silently shaping around the rap the lyrics would jumble into, he looked up to find the freshman from before staring at him over his raised textbook. 

pleasant surprise warmed him. 

“what?” yoongi said just as his eyes caught the dark spot on the textbook. well damn. that must’ve been where he drooled on the poor kid’s book. 

yoongi hoped he looked suitably apologetic as his eyes dragged up to the freshman’s face, which was tense, with fear or annoyance he didn’t know. 

“hey sorry about the falling asleep on your ,” yoongi said lamely. “its been a tough week. music comp major.” he motioned with the covered notebook. 

most people looked a little bewildered or impressed when yoongi told him that, but the freshman looked neither.

he gave a quick hesitant grin and said, “i know. you’re in my comp 104 class.” 

"you're a music comp major?"

"no, just general music for now."

yoongi cocked an eyebrow under his beanie. “then how do you know i'm music comp?” 

"...your friend talks loudly and i couldn’t help overhearing sometimes.” at yoongi’s stare the freshman looked adorably flustered, ears turning red. “you’re hard not to notice u know–i mean–that’s not what i meant to say–im–oh my god no–” to yoongi’s amusement, the freshman deflated into the table like a popped balloon. 

“just ignore me please,” he begged in a strangled voice, hand over his face. yoongi’s day suddenly seemed ten times brighter. 

“im guessing you already know my name then,” yoongi said sitting back. 

“min yoongi,” the freshman answered immediately and then seemed faintly horrified with himself even through the cover of his hands. 

yoongi clicked his tongue. the shyness was cute but he wanted to see the kid’s face. he leaned forward and gently pried one of the hands away, smiling wryly at the single eye, smooth nose and mouth he uncovered. 

“you going to tell me your name or leave me hanging all night?” yoongi asked, and the eye blinked up at him through dark lashes like charcoal streaks across parchment. 

“jungkook,” the kid croaked. he blinked rapidly when yoongi pulled down his other hand. 

yoongi’s lips curved. “that’s better. i like to see the ppl im talking to.”

“right,” jungkook said faintly, gaze lowered to yoongi’s mouth before he realized that yoongi was watching him. he looked like he might combust right where he sat. 

that was pretty much how the rest of the library trip went. yoongi got plenty of lyrics in between idle chatter with the eager-to-please freshman, (mostly about said freshman) as jungkook told him more about what he was studying than actually doing the studying, all the while giving the senior those vexing glances under his lashes. 

yoongi could almost say he was doing it on purpose if not for the way he startled and reddened when caught. 

finally he had to be the responsible adult and shoo jungkook out of the library so he could get some actual studying done since he obviously wasn't going to be able to finish anything in yoongi’s presence. 

as for the senior, the song he turned in for his final composition was more delicate than he had been thinking of, slower somehow, the beat a syrup roll to his usual staccato stab. 

the assignment theme was 'passion', which he took to mean the fast, breathless kind. which was what he was thinking of as he wrote down words that traced the sweep of jungkook’s eyelashes–followed the bob of his adam's apple when he swallowed nervously– along the soft edge of his lips when he spoke.

but when yoongi edited the lyrics and tried to put them to a melody, his gut told him to dial down the rhythm, and he followed it. 

he created, to his own bewilderment and to the delight of his professor, a love song. 

the first thing he did after he turned in his assignment tape, in which he’d endured the greasy, knowing smile of his professor the entire time the song had played, yoongi pulled out his phone. he had bags under his eyes to make jin cringe but he felt lighter than he had in days. 

he texted the newest number in his phone book. 

hey kid, meet me at the library after your last final. i have something for u to hear.

the extra copy of his final song was burning a hole in his pocket. 

.

.

well well well. i never thought i’d see the day jeon jungkookie would be such a chicken. 

jimin-hyung that’s not helping. AT ALL

just talk to him! whats the worst that can happen? :/

he could filet me like the chicken i am T-T

LOLL kookie! you’ve got it baaaaad.

SHUT UP HYUNG

 

jungkook looked at the dozing senior in front of him whose head was firmly planted on the economics textbook he was going to use to study for his last final in two days.

he’d left off studying for it until now because he had more difficult exams to get out of the way first. he hadn’t expected the senior to lay his head on the table beside his textbook and then a few minutes later, drowsily pull it closer to use as a pillow before jungkook could finish reviewing his notes. 

except for the bruises under his eyes, yoongi’s skin looked clear, like freshly fallen snow. he looked so soft like this, without the lines between his brows and the sharpness of his gaze hidden under his pale eyelids.  

jungkook had only ever seen yoongi from two rows away where he usually sat behind the senior during lectures. he was always too scared to move closer.

everyone in the music department knew yoongi as the music composition major that you didn’t go near without a cup of his favorite coffee, (iced, black, with two sugars–“fully dissolved, not puddled at the bottom u lazy s”) 

he always looked so untouchable. even now, though jungkook ached to reach over and trail his finger down that smooth cheek.

he rolled his eyes at himself and looked down at his phone just as it started to vibrate with an incoming call from jimin.

like yoongi would ever look twice at a first year like him, jungkook thought.