Y.O.U

L.O.V.E

"And what if she says the other way round?" Mark's question kept coming like bullets from a machine gun.
"Christ Mark, give me a break already. You will somehow know if when she likes you. I bet she will drop hints to you or something." I closed my locker's door and glare at Mark. 
I want you to meet my best friend, Mark Tuan. He and I grew up together as neighbors and we practically are like siblings. Not blood related but we are that close. Recently Mark has been pestering me about girls. A boy going through puberty is always curious. Honestly, I'm curious too. I'm a teen with many doubts about life but unlike Mark, I don't ask them. I learn from movies and sometimes my elder sister would tell me stuff. 

"Are you having a crush on someone?" I squinted my eyes at Mark
"N..no! C'mon, you know me, if I'd have a crush on someone I'll tell you first." Mark let out an awkward laughter swinging his arms left and right.
"You have been asking me about girls all day long. Trust me, any girl you have your eyes on will fall for you too. You are such a sweetheart." I patted mark's back and smiled. 
It's true, mark's a gentleman since young. Perhaps it runs in his blood. His dad is really kind and friendly, he's known to be our street's Santa Claus. 

"Last question!" Mark's voice cracked with his sudden outburst 
Giggling, I nodded my head furiously.
"What will you do if a guy approach you but you are not interested in him?" Mark cocked his right ear closer to hear the answer. 
"Definitely I'll reject him." I cross crossed my arms 
"Then what is your ideal type of guy?" Mark questioned again
"My ideal type of guy is..." You are standing right in front of me. "Hey!!!! Is that a trick question? You said it was the last question just now." I can't tell him my ideal type. It's a secret till my death arrives. 
"This is the last one I swear" breaking his voice again with the word "last" 

--- RINGGGGGGG-- 
"Oh Mark! I got to go, you know how Mr Deeps is when people are late for his class. I'll see you at home." 
Saved by the bell! 

Mark was left at the locker with many students passing by. 
"I really like you." Mark whispered as he saw your back view getting further and further away from him.

Settling down in your seat, and waiting for the teacher to arrive, you flipped your book open where a photo of Mark and you were smiling happily. 
"Whoever he likes will be very lucky to have him." You hover your finger over his face. 
Mr Deeps class was boring, usually chemistry class is the only lesson I look forward to. But my mind kept wondering to Mark. All his questions were weird. Please tell me he doesn't have anyone in mind. God... 

The bell buzzed and it woke me up from my daydream.
"I see you aren't that attentive today Miss Jung. A penny for your thoughts? " Mr Deeps smiled when I walked passed him 
"Oh I'm sorry, my mind must have wondered somewhere. It will not happen again." 
I bowed before leaving the class.

I lifted my head and there he was, Mark. The person who holds the penny to all my thoughts. 
"Hi!" Mark greeted awkwardly 
"Hey?" 
"We have English together, and my class so happen to be next to your chemistry class. Thought of stopping by." Mark blabbered on 
"Yeah, let's grab some snacks before heading to English class." 

"So.. About your ideal type." Mark was kicking the air on the ground
That sudden question sent a wave of chocks and coughs
" you alright?" Mark was patting my back, comforting me. 
That's right, Mark is concern for me. Which did not make me feel any better. 
My face blushed real hard as I regain my composure. 
"Wow, is the weather that warm during winter, or did you intake some alcohol content? Girl, you sure are blushing like a tomato!" Mark joked, leaving his hand on my back 
"I.... It's the cough. I tend to blush when being chocked."
"Wanna hang out after school?" Mark nudge his elbow against mine 
"Hmm.. Yeah sure! I have nothing on." 

I am really looking forward to the end of school. I wish school will end like right now but I have another 3 torturous hours to go. Thankfully, those 3 hours are with Mark and we usually sit beside each other. 
He is usually attentive during classes but this time, he was all fidgety and texting. Smiles stamped on his face from time to time and thumbs are never at rest. 
I frowned at him. He must be really into this girl. I have never seen him so happy before.
"Hey.." I was penning down some notes when I heard Mark whispering into my ear. 
I turned my head a tad too fast and our faces were like inches away. That instant froze, both of us were eyeing each other's lips and turned the attention to each other's eyes. 

My head snapped back abruptly when I heard a book dropped onto the hard ground. 
Mark cleared his throat and I tried to use my hair to cover my overly blushed face. 

"Ye...yup. You were saying?" Still looking at my notes with my hair literally hanging on my face. 
"I was wondering... " he paused 
"Sups?" I tried to act cool. 
"What do you find romantic? How will you want your boyfriend to court you?" 
"ummm..." That stumped me for sure. I have never thought of it. I mean in anyway Mark will ask me out, it would be romantic. It's Mark we are talking about! 
"Quit smiling to yourself!" Mark judge me and laughed out loud 
"Mr Tuan and Ms ___ at the back, perhaps you have better solutions to question 12 since you have been discussing for quite some time now." Mr Tomlinson roared at us with dagger shooting eyes. 
"No sir..." Our voice trembled
- bell goes off- 
Sound of books closing could be heard around the class.
"Class is dismissed." Mr Tomlinson spoke without lifting his eyes off us. 

We both let out a sigh of relief before packing our books. Slinging his bag, Mark was studying my actions from where he stood. 

"You know I can see you staring at me right?" I continue to pack my bag. Thankfully my hair fell on my face to cover my overly flushed face again. 
Mark was caught off guard. He shifted his weight to another foot and fake a cough.
"I was wondering we can visit the newly opened cafe nearby for dinner." 
"Sure! I have always wanted to go there. But let me change out of the uniform first. I'll meet you at your house?"
“great!” mark scratched his head and smiled brightly

*that killer smile.. stawppp it !!* I cursed inwards

 
-- at home --
"Damnit what should I wear?" I crunch my hair and let it go in frustration
It's the 5th time I have changed out of an outfit. Though it's not a date and I'm going with Mark but, there is a HUGE part of me wanting to impress him. Rethinking all the questions he asked me about girls earlier on, I know I have a very slim chance. I squeezed my eyes shut and picked out a white A line mini dress that bared my back and went out of my house. 

Mark was wearing a white shirt matched with a pair of worn jeans. Damn he looks so hot. He was playing with the few steps at his porch. 
"Hi.." I spoke softly which made him jolt. His hands were behind him all these time
"Hi.." Mark smiled to the ground after a brief eye contact with me. 
"What's behind you?" I tried to peek. 
"Oh! These are for you." He handed over a bouquet of flowers, pink roses in exact. 
"Wow! How did you know I like these flowers? I don't remember telling anyone I like this." I sniffed the flowers and hugged them loosely in front of me
mark wrinkled his nose and gave a shy brief smile.
"Let's head to the cafe now." Mark took my hand and led the way. 
It's normal. We would act like a couple but in fact we are just friends. 

The cafe was quiet which is unusual. The crowd never dies down even till the closing. 
"There's no crowd today! Yay!" I slightly jumped from the happiness. 
"actually, I booked the whole place for you." Mark mumbled and proceed to open the door for me, thinking that I didn't catch what he said. 
I stood frozen, “o…oh.. why would you do that?” I just thought simply as a friendly gesture that mark did this and brushed it off.

 

“Mr Tuan, table for 2?” A waiter attended to us at the door step and took us to our table.

It was in a private room which the café has catered specially for the celebrities.
Though it was an ordinary café, they serve really good meals. Mark has already pre-ordered for us.

 

We were chatting happily with the food served and chomping down our food as normal. Until, there was a knock on the door.
“Please come in.” Mark spoke

The door opened slightly and you can see pink balloons appearing through that gap.

 

“Mark? What’s going on?” I cleaned my mouth and stood up from my seat.

The waiter came in holding a bundle of pink balloons and a fluffy teddy bear. Mark took everything from the waiter and he left the room.

 

“you see… I have always liked you from the day we were playmates. Now we are both grown teenagers and I would like to confess to you. It’s hard for me to do this because we have known each other for a long period of time and there is a part of me that doesn’t want to ruin the special friendship that we have. Today I gain the courage to propose to you, in hope that you would be my girlfriend, allowing me to love you more than ever and be there for you as usual. Also, I wish to take our friendship to another level and be the one in your life.” Mark looked in to my eyes with sincerity and love.

 

“_____ will you be my girlfriend?” Mark ended his speech, handing over the teddy bear and balloons.

 

Tears are welling up from my eyes. No guys have ever done this to me. My past relationships have always been a failure and indeed mark’s unwavering love has always been there for me when I fall.

 

“yes… of course!” I smiled, wiping the tears away with one hand and taking the teddy bear together with the balloons.

Mark glee with overwhelming sense of happiness and hugged me tightly.

 

“dumbo.. why are you crying?” mark my hair while hugging me

“no one ever did this to me. And I thought you liked some other girl.” I was sobbing.

“ I love you. And you only” Mark kissed my forehead

“you know why I bombarded you with questions?” mark spoilt the atmosphere.
“damn.. mark, you must spoil the awesome ambience right now?” I punched his chest lightly.

 

“alright alright! Let’s go home now~” mark surrendered  

 

-- xx --

 

it's so fluffy, i'm gonna die!!!! 

 

xoxo 

hope you like the story~