Ruined

Ruined

“I had a feeling we were going to fall apart. But not like this. Anyway other than this.”

 

Ruined

He didn’t know what to make of it. He should have seen it coming. The minute he agreed to do the stage. The second he committed the act on stage. The horror of seeing the events that transpired afterwards.

They all led to this.

 

  Jonghyun had been distant prior to the events that ultimately destroyed everything they ever had together. Every time Key tried to talk, Jonghyun excused himself. Every time Key wanted to go out, Jonghyun had surprise plans. When Jonghyun saw him around, he went another way. What was he supposed to do? Jonghyun was his everything, his air. Once upon a time, Key was his too.  That was the past, and Key was stuck with an unfortunate present, with an unknowingly devastating future. Don’t say that he should’ve known better. He did. But Key didn’t want to believe the bad thoughts in the back of his head. Then again, who would want to believe their air was going to turn around and suffocate them?

 

Key knew that things were going to hell when Jonghyun saw him crying.

 

He turned his back and left Key alone. Again.

 

  It began going downhill when Taemin asked him to do a stage together. He felt strange vibes from the two prior, but didn’t want to think much of it. When Jonghyun accepted to doing the stage, Key’s vision cleared and began analyzing what he had turned a blind eye to. He turned a blind eye to Taemin and Jonghyun hanging out all the time. Turned a blind eye to his stolen skinship that Jonghyun now smothered Taemin with. Turned a blind eye to the fact that Jonghyun preferred to breathe Taemin now.

 

Who knows? Maybe he suffocated Jonghyun first.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Key waited anxiously for the music for Internet War to start, knowing what was soon to happen. As soon as they agreed to do the stage together, it might as well have been over. He never saw the two except early in the morning and late at night as he was falling asleep. On the rare occasion he did see them, they were always together. Taemin knew exactly what he was doing, as did Jonghyun. Key also knew exactly what he was doing when he privately decided to cut them off and retired from being his umma. He actually quit. If this was how the little brat was going to act after everything Key had done for him, he could go to hell.

 The music started and Key’s heart stopped. The fans were screaming in excitement as the two performed and moved on the stage. What happened to all the loyal Jongkey fans? Did they cut and run when they saw the subtle hints of avoidance? Key didn’t know, he didn’t want to either. He just knew as soon as they closed in on each other amidst the flashing lights and screaming girls, he was going to break. As inevitable as it was, he also decided that he would eventually pick himself up.

His world exploded when their lips touched. Key nearly went up and jumped off the rafters of the venue when he realized Jonghyun initiated the small kiss and handcuffed their hands together. He couldn’t even cry. That destroyed him to the point he couldn’t even shed a tear over his lover. He couldn’t shed a tear over the fact that two of the closest people to him were as good as dead to him. He couldn’t cry because he lost any and all feeling when he made eye contact with Jonghyun as he exited, and he had the nerve to look regretful.

 

 Key legitimately thought of ending his life as he witnessed the scene in front of him. He was looking for one of his stylist after the show and wished he would’ve started looking inside a volcano or at the bottom of the ocean because that equals the pain he is feeling right now.

 

“Stylist-noona! Are you in he-“

  Jonghyun. Taemin. In each other’s embrace while initiating a very passionate lip-lock.

As Key stood in the doorway, Jonghyun noticed him and desperately tried to get away from Taemin. He just looked at Key’s eyes and noticed something even worse than hatred, anger, or betrayal.

He saw nothing.

  Jonghyun looked into eyes that used to look at him with love, happiness, and trust. His eyes were desolate. Did he not care for Jonghyun at all anymore? What could he have done to deserve this?

It was in that moment that everything surged back and hit him. He had cheated on, used, and broke his Key. What was he thinking? He had betrayed his everything. And Taemin, of all people. What was Taemin to him compared to his Key? He had ruined everything. He tried to speak, but words failed him as he fell victim to his now ex-lover’s barren stare.

“K-Key. Please, PLEASE! Let me tell you, let me explain! I-It was all, it was just I, it was a mistake and I know-“Jonghyun tried to say.

“Shut up.” Key said in a monotone that tore Jonghyun to pieces. What had happened to the voice that laughed with him, sang with him, and said his name? Oh, yeah. He broke the owner of the voice with his stupid mistakes.

“I had a feeling we were going to fall apart. But not like this. Anyway other than this.”

Key walked away with this. He slammed the door and ran away. Ran to the one person who would always be there for him. Someone who would never betray him in such a volatile way.

Jonghyun, however, couldn’t move. He wanted to get up and chase him. Go chase his everything before it slipped away and would destroy everything he had ever did, wanted, and had to do. He needed Key, how could he have ever forgotten that? If Key wasn’t going to be in his life, there was no reason for him to walk this earth. Jonghyun would do whatever it takes, give it his everything to win his air back. He could only pray that it would be remotely enough.

“Hyung, just forget it and come back over here.” Said a high voice to his right. Said the reason he was going to lose everything. The worst part, he fell for everything. Jonghyun fell victim to his own tricks by somehow convincing himself that he wanted more than Key. Wanted more than his unwavering love, loyalty, and trust.

 Why Taemin? What had become of the two that caused them to go for each other? Why did Taemin continue to play Jonghyun when he knew full well that Jonghyun belonged to Key and Key alone? Why did he let Taemin talk his stupid self into become lovers of infidelity? Why did he let that little brat kiss him, touch him, and steal him away from his one real love? Worst of all,

Jonghyun allowed him.

 Jonghyun never bothered to stop him.

 Jonghyun even encouraged him at times.

 

“We should stop doing this.” Jonghyun spoke with monotone finality.

“But, hyung! I thought, wasn’t this what you wanted? Wasn’t I what you wanted?! Why now? I want you and-, and I know you want me too!” Taemin yelled with tears coming down his face. He had wanted Jonghyun! Why was Jonghyun doing this to him after what they had done?! Why did he want Key when he was able to have him? Sure, they were in a relationship, but Jonghyun would’ve stayed away if he wanted Key. He would’ve cared about Key.

“I messed up. I’m sorry, Tae. I never wanted this. I-I don’t know how I could’ve convinced myself that I did. I love Key. I never stopped, I just forgot. I’m sorry, but this was a mistake.” Jonghyun finished as he got up and left to find Key. He looked all over backstage, on stage, dressing rooms, supply closets, everywhere! The whole show wrapped up a little bit after his,um-, performance. Ugh, just thinking about how stupid he was made him want to die. The fact that his stupidity hurt Key just gives his reason to die all the more substance.

“Minho! Have you seen Key?” Jonghyun frantically asked the tallest member of their group.

“Woah, okay. Uh- Key..” He thought for a moment before snapping his head up. “Yeah! I saw him running through here about 10 minutes ago. He looked kind of upset so Onew followed him. I think he went back to the dressing room and- okay bye.” Minho didn’t have a chance to finish before the shorter man went on a full out sprint in the direction of SHINee’s dressing room.

Jonghyun ran until he reached the door and burst inside the room, startling the eldest member as well as the stylist and coordi-noonas. He made eye contact with the oldest member of the group and immediately asked him the only question he needed the answer to.

“Do you know where Key went?!” Jonghyun asked once again, panic rising.

“I honestly don’t think you deserve to know. I also doubt he’d want to see you either. He did nothing to deserve that.” Onew said with such finality Jonghyun had to think of ways he could get something out of him. Then again, how did Jinki find out about the situation?

“How do you know what happened?”

“Don’t ask stupid questions. You think we weren’t watching that stunt you pulled with Taemin? I had suspicions but never acted on them. God, I wish I had. Because God knows what Key just saw you do afterwards and I don’t wish to find out. Personally, I’d rather die than ever cheat on Luna because I know no one deserves to feel the way Key is right now.” There was so much venom in is words that Jonghyun nearly broke down with guilt. He knew he couldn’t, because he still needed to find the reason his heart is beating.

“Jinki, please, I’m begging you! Where did he go?!” Jonghyun pleaded with tears streaming down his face.

“Fine.” Jinki began, “He left. He left this place with Woohyun.”

Crack

Woohyun, Jonghyun thought bitterly, of course he’s with Woohyun. He’s the reason he and Key ever started to drift. Key had gotten himself a new best friend and after Jonghyun started messing around with Taemin, the WooKey pair were always with each other. Why? Because Key confided in Woohyun and Woohyun refused to leave Key by himself with the situation. He absolutely hated Woohyun. He hated how he knew everything about Key. He hated that Key spent all his time with Woohyun. He hated that Woohyun knew how Key felt.

 

He hated Woohyun for being everything that he should’ve been to Key.

 

  Jonghyun sprinted outside and into his personal car that his manager drove here, turned the keys, and sped off in the direction of Key’s home. The drive there felt like hours, when in reality it took about 7 minutes since he knew a shortcut. As he drove out on the bright Seoul streets, he couldn’t help but feel angry. Why does the world get to be so colorful when he’s about to lose his sanity?

 

  He parked the car and ran up to Key’s door, out of breath as he frantically knocked on the door. His heart sped up when he heard footsteps inside, and nearly beat out of his chest when he heard the door unlocked. The door slowly opened and he felt so- disappointed.

Woohyun opened his Bummie’s door and looked at the short main with sheer disgust and resentment. Jonghyun hated him, yes- but he knew he deserved that look.

“Where’s Key?” Jonghyun asked with the most serious and stable voice he could manage.

“Away from you. I think that’s how it should be from now on.” Woohyun said smugly while trying to close the door. Luckily, Jonghyun was able to prop it open with his foot.

“I’m not messing around. I need to see him, please.” All pride was gone. He was begging. He just needed to see his love.

“I doubt he would want to see you ever again. Did you honestly think you would get away with doing this to Key. Do you honestly think you can walk away unscathed? Did you forget the 91’ line has his back at all times? I can tell you, I personally won’t let you walk away even though you deserve so much worse than anything I could ever do to you, you little-.”

“Stop.” Whispered a voice from behind the door. Woohyun turned around and Jonghyun saw Key. With puffy and bloodshot eyes, tear tracks down his face, and his hair disheveled. To Jonghyun, he looked gorgeous. How could he have forgotten such perfection? “He’s not worth it.” Ouch.

“But Kibummie-“ Woohyun tried.

“I think we should call it a night, Hyun. I can handle it from here.” Key and Woohyun exchanged looks and small smiles before Woohyun turned to walk out the door. Upon his exit, he grabbed the main vocal of SHINee’s collar.

“One wrong move, you’ve got the entire 91’ line. It’s your funeral.” He threatened, then released him and walked away. Jonghyun walked in and shut the door then looked straight at his Kibum.

“Please baby, let me explain wha-“

“Why are you here? What did you think you would accomplish be coming here? I’m done with you. Did I really have to spell it out? You’re only making this harder on yourself. You have no chance. You lost everything once you decided I was second best to Taemin.” Key deadpanned. He was truly merciless. Jonghyun was already crying and Key never let up.

“You were never second best. I love you so much and-“ Poor Jonghyun will never finish.

“Okay, thanks for lying straight to my face. If you really ever loved me you wouldn’t have set me aside. Like some toy that you finished playing with. If you want forgiveness, whatever. Just know that I’ll never go back to you. The only reason I’d ever want to be remotely close to you now is for group activities. I think we should stay out of each other’s way to keep this mistake from being worse than it needs to be, don’t you think.” Key went on relentlessly.

“This mistake. Was all that we had together just one big mistake to you? I love you Kibum. I never stopped. We were never a mistake. I will find a way to make you believe that.” Jonghyun firmly decided.

“If you loved me, you wouldn’t have cheated on me.” Damn, he never sugarcoated it.

“That was the mistake. I should’ve never done that. Kibum, please, I would give up everything to go back and change it. You have to believe me.” Jonghyun pleaded.

“So you knew it was a mistake and went on with it. Then you expect me to let everything go back to the way it was? I’m sorry, but you know as well as I do that’s not how it works.”

“I’ll do whatever it takes to make us us again. I love you too much to let you go like this. I know you love me too!” Jonghyun accused with tears streaming like a river.

“I do love you,” Yes, he still loves me, “But I’ll teach myself not to as time goes on.” Key said with the most unforgiving, point-blank tone.

“Don’t, Kibum. I can’t go on knowing that you love me and you don’t want to anymore. I can’t live without having you as mine.” The vocalist looked at the floor, imagining a world where Kibum wasn’t his. Worse, his cruel subconscious imagined Woohyun replacing him.

 “I doubt that. You seemed to live just fine with Taemin while you threw me aside. Listen, it’s getting late and I’m tired. So I’ll give you the final offer to be friends. Nothing more, nothing less. Take it or leave it, I’m going to sleep. You know where the door is.” Then the man was gone, leaving Jonghyun a wet mess on his knees.

Fine, he thought, We can be friends for now. Just wait my beautiful Kibum. You’ll be mine again soon. Then I’ll never let you go.

So Jonghyun picked himself up, and went back to his home. A smile on his face.

This was far from the end.

 

A/N: So, that was my first SHINee fanfic, sorry if it wasn’t the best. I tried. This was just an idea I had and it was eating at me more and more as Jongkey has been less and less present. Please review and let me know what you think!

Kamsahabnida!!!

P.S. Let me know if you want me to make a second part as Jongkey rekindle their relationship. I can also add Taemin in it if y’all want.

~Christina