dumb and dumber (1/2)

It Feels Like I'm Yours (but no)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taehyun thinks Mino is dumb.

 

 

For a guy who raps in an underground club every friday night and curses like no other to a hyped up crowd intoxicated with alcohol, Song Mino is undeniably a loser. Taehyun has seen Mino rapping drunkenly about rubber ducks and crying because someone ate the last of his mom’s kimchi but nothing could ever get on Taehyun’s nerves more than this.

 

This, where Mino is sitting at the corner of his dorm room, with Taehyun’s best friend, Seungyoon, comfortably seated in between Mino’s legs. This, where Seungyoon is concentrated with his gameboy, and Mino’s tapping away at his phone with his other hand placed on Seungyoon’s hips as if it was natural for him to do so. The cheerful 8-bit music from the gameboy fills up the room, as Seungyoon visibly brightens up at his new high score. He smiles, the cheerful and sickeningly bright smile that makes his eyes curve, and nudges Mino gently with his elbow. The later shifts his attention from his phone and looks over Seungyoon’s shoulder and coos a “Ooooh, good job!” while ruffling his hair affectionately. They’re supposed to gather at the two’s dorm room with the group’s weekly pizza party, but for some reason Seungyoon finds the need to lean back into Mino’s chest, and let Mino rest his chin on the top of his head as he moves onto the next level of his game.

 

Both of them are in their own world and it’s so painfully obvious, Taehyun feels like banging his head onto the nearest framed marvel poster in Mino’s and Seungyoon’s dorm room.

 

Jinwoo and Seunghoon on the other hand seems to be completely unfazed by the duo basically having a oblivious and disgustingly sweet moment, animatedly talking about their new Philosophy professor, something about him stealing used coffee cups and an existential crisis.


 

But Taehyun notices the way that Mino rubs his thumb on the sharp edge of Seungyoon’s hip. He notices the way Seungyoon nuzzles into Mino’s chest. He had been noticing things going on between his two best friends for the past two months and he can’t take it anymore.

 

“Guys, just admit it. Both of you are dating.” Taehyun blurts out.

 

Jinwoo hisses at Taehyun’s bluntness but the two people in question aren’t even paying attention to him. Mino’s showing Seungyoon something from his phone with an idiotic smile on his face. His smile grows even wider when Seungyoon laughs and blushes lightly. It’s so adorable that it makes Taehyun want to gag.

 

“Oh my god, are you kidding me?!”

 

Seunghoon bursts out laughing, as if this was funny. It certainly wasn’t funny in Taehyun’s book. This was serious, and he’s determined to make them break the truth to their obvious lie until someone cries.

 

Seungyoon looks up, still smiling, “Oh, sorry, did you say something?”

 

Taehyun rolls his eyes. “How long has it been?” He crosses his arms and sneers at them.

 

Seungyoon blinks and tilts his head to the side cluelessly. “How long has what been?”

 

Taehyun runs his hand over his hair, messing up his center parting, and sighs at how stupid his best friends are. “How long has it been since you two started dating?” He tries to say with a calm voice.

 

“Who’s dating?” Seungyoon furrows his brows, lips pouting slightly in confusion.

 

“Are you just acting like you don’t know? Because there’s no need to hide because it’s so painfully obvious already” Jinwoo pitifully pats Taehyun’s shoulders while shaking his head.

 

“Just let it go, Taehyun, both of them are too dumb too notice they’re actually in love.”

 

Mino perks up at this. “Yah! We’ve spoken about this, guys. C’mon, Seungyoon and I aren’t dating! We don’t like each that way.” He says it as if it’s the most ridiculous idea ever known to man.

 

“That’s right! We’re just best friends.” Seungyoon’s eyes sparks with a new thought. “Ah, are you just jealous because I’ve been spending more time with Mino than you, Taehyun-ah?”

 

“Wow, I’m--” Taehyun is dumbfounded. He can’t find his words anymore. “I give up.”

 

Seunghoon laughs even harder, “Oh my god, this is better than everything on cable TV.” Jinwoo hits Seunghoon’s shoulder. 

 

“I understand, Taehyun. Hyung is sorry. You’ve been lonely. We’ll grab lunch together tomorrow, okay?”

 

Taehyun throws his leftover pizza crust at him. “Shut up, Seungyoon.”

 

/ / /

 

The both of them have the most unlikeliest of friendships.

 

It’s a rather ridiculous idea. Mino, who listens to hip hop, wears snapbacks and baggy pants every day of the week, who spends his Friday nights in clubs, who goes by the name of Huge Boy. Mino, who often skips classes, who sleeps through lectures he actually does attend is ironically best friends and roommates with Kang Seungyoon. The same Seungyoon who has an almost perfect GPA, the student body president who plays the guitar and wears knitted wool sweaters with the school’s colors of purple and yellow.

 

They sit on different tables during their break, outside of their common circle of friends. Mino with his equally loud friends, Jiho, Jihoon, Taeil, Kyung and Minhyuk. They’ll be at the other end of the cafeteria laughing loudly about something that happened at their last gig at a club whilst Seungyoon’s seated with his friends from student council, planning the next council meeting.

 

The vice-president, Suho, looks over at the boisterous group and shakes his head. “I don’t know why you’re even friends with that guy.”

 

Seungyoon smiles and shrugs, because he knows no one could ever understand their dynamic. Both of them were such polar opposites, yet they had so much in common. No one could ever understand Seungyoon like Mino understands him.

 

Yoongi smirks. “That guy’s an idiot. Remember the time he talked politics to a plant once after drinking a bottle of soju?” Seungyoon laughs at this, he faintly remembers the video Yoongi sent him at 3am and using it as blackmail against Mino for weeks. “Why are you, the almighty Kang Seungyoon, with him out of all people?” He pauses in thought, and lifts his brow up while winking suggestively. “Is he good in bed? Is that it?”

 

Seungyoon chokes on his drink, “What?! We’re not-- not,” He goes into a coughing fit and blushes, which already makes whatever defense he’s got not convincible. “Why does everyone think we’re together?”

 

Chorong scoffs at this, “Oh please, we’ve lost count of the number of times Mino practically scares off the people who tries to confess to you!”

 

“Ah, poor Jungkook. He was scared out of his mind.” Suho looks in the far off distance, deep in solemn thought for the poor freshman.

 

“Well, that doesn’t mean, we have… have those kinds of... feelings for each other!” Seungyoon pouts while stuffing his mouth with greasy cafeteria mashed potatoes. “I don’t see why you guys keep saying these things.”

 

Yoongi sighs and gently pats his head, “Ah, you clueless youngin. How can someone so smart be so dumb at the same time?”

 

Chorong nods in agreement and Suho looks mildly concerned. Seungyoon just frowns and mumbles something about getting back to the meeting.

 

/ / /

 

It’s become some sort of unspoken rule that Seungyoon waits for Mino’s extra night lessons to end, and that Mino waits for his Student Union or his faculty club meetings to end, so that they can meet and walk back to their dorm room together.

 

Everyone who sees them would think that they’re together. The way that they look at each other when they pass in the hallways, the way Mino would sling his arm over Seungyoon’s shoulder as they walk home, the spark in their eyes when they talk about the ridiculous events of their day as if they haven’t seen each other for months. Apparently everyone could see it, but Mino and Seungyoon themselves.

 

Seungyoon, in Mino’s eyes, was the epitome of perfect.

 

He had perfect grades despite being president for both of the biggest school organizations, student union and his faculty club. Juggling both the piles of law essays and the many responsibilities that comes with being president of two clubs, Mino wonders how he could still be perfect. Sure, he has his flaws, like how he’d get mad at Mino for eating cereal out of the box. “Get your disgusting hands off my frosted cereal, you disgusting pig!” Seungyoon would yell at him when he catches Mino secretly eating his box of cereal at 3.A.M. Or how Seungyoon could ever say no and put more on his already full plate, because he’s just so kind.

 

This is why Mino self proclaimed a duty upon himself. As Seungyoon’s best friend, he’d offer his assistance for Seungyoon say no to all of the people who think they’re worthy of having a date with him. Simple. It wasn’t like he was jealous, or possessive or anything. No, please don’t misunderstand. Mino is simply doing Seungyoon a favor. In between his tests on law implementation, countless meetings and projects, and movie nights with Mino, Seungyoon definitely doesn’t have enough time for useless dates. That’s ridiculous in Mino’s book. Seungyoon would never choose to go on a date with some freshman over their chinese takeout Thursdays. Certainly not.

 

/ / /

 

It’s another successful Friday night for Mino.

 

He does a great performance with Jiho, their first in a long time. The crowd was pumped out and hyped, and they leave the stage with their lungs filled with euphoria and thrill from performing. The next set of rappers goes on stage and they move onto the V.I.P lounge for performers. Before he leaves, he spots a familiar face out from the crowd. He smiles instantly, the enjoyment of a successful performance instantly tripling knowing that he had watched it.

 

He walks up and pulls Seungyoon in a hug. “Oh my god, Seungyoon, what are you doing here? I thought you had an internship interview today?”

 

“It got canceled, so I thought I’d catch your performance.” Seungyoon’s wearing a simple oversized white tee and black ripped jeans, maybe it’s the shot of vodka or the after effects of performing, but damn, Seungyoon looks good even though they’re under the ugly neon blue lights of the club. He lets out a laugh, and a small smile that Mino adores so much. “It’s been awhile since I’ve seen you rap. Great as always.” He yells over the loud bass blaring through the speakers. He winks and shows Mino a thumbs up.

 

“Just already!” Jiho shouts at them as he walks by, waggling his brows like an idiot.

 

Seungyoon covers his face with one of his hands in embarrassment, and Mino laughs. Mino grabs his hand and speaks into his ear, knowing that shouting over the music would be useless.

 

“Ignore him, Yoon. C’mon, let’s get out of here.”

 

/ / /

 

They’re outside the club, hands still intertwined with each other’s. Mino’s leaning against his car which was parked right in front of the entrance, whilst looking at Seungyoon, who’s drawing circles on the concrete ground with his feet. Mino frowns. “So, tell me, why did you actually come here?”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter