1/1

Endeavour

His clique of friends has always been telling him that he’s loveless. Chanyeol silently agrees, though he would not admit that he has never felt the feeling of loving and being loved. His mother left him when he was a toddler and his father married a e and Chanyeol never gave a single damn. He doesn’t need love; he has the perfect grades and a possible bright future, without love, and he knows that he could succeed without having any love interests.

 

It wasn’t like he’s heartless, because he does have feelings, especially the feeling of slight jealousy when he sees his friends with their girlfriends. Albeit he feels jealous, he tends to ignore the sweet confessions sent to his locker and the streams of girls screaming when they see him step out to the field when it was his turn to play.

 

Jongin tells him that he needed to explore the dating world. Chanyeol brushes him off. Kris introduces him to the pretty cheerleader who is completely interested in him. Chanyeol brushes them off. Kyungsoo makes a remark of him saluting Chanyeol for politely declining a girl’s offer of her ity. Chanyeol chuckles. Yixing stays sleepy. Chanyeol figures that he made the wrong choice of friends.

 

“The hottest girl in school wants him and he ignores her,” Kris shakes his head in annoyance. “Chanyeol, are you perhaps gay?”

 

Chanyeol thinks of it for a second. He disagrees.

 

“At this rate, he’s probably aual.” Jongin comments, making Sehun snort.

 

Chanyeol stays silent. Maybe he should try dating. When he turns 30 or something. He never really liked the idea of being tied to anyone, or being whipped, or buying flowers for anyone. His friends continue to talk about his love life with ion and Chanyeol decides that he should speak up for his dignity. “I don’t like committing myself to other people just because I’m dating them.”

 

“You could date two girls at the same time,” Sehun yawns. “No big deal. No committing.”

 

“That would be cheating.” Chanyeol raises a brow. “And mind you, I don’t e that frequently.”

 

“What’s wrong with having a polygamous relationship?” Jongin interrupts, holding his girlfriend’s waist, and feeding his other girlfriend at the same time. “Look at me, I like polygamy. It’s not cheating. Threesomes are awesome.”

 

Kyungsoo grimaces and Chanyeol sees pain reflecting in Kyungsoo’s eyes as he stares at the pair of girls. Kyungsoo blinks and the pain dissolves under sparks of anger. “That’s because you’re disgusting, Jongin.”

 

“I’m not.” Jongin spits, “You’re just jealous because you’re gay and single.”

 

“Not for long.” Kyungsoo whistles as he watches the football player walking pass them, sweaty and hot all over. As Kyungsoo excuses himself to go and ‘get some’ with the football player, Kim Junmyeon, he s the first of his school uniform and Jongin mutters words of profanities. Kris and Chanyeol share a look.

 

The school bell rings irritatingly and their teacher walks in, shooing all the students who are not supposed to be in his class and Jongin parts with his pair of girlfriends, kissing them goodbye as they leave the lip gloss stains on Jongin’s neck. Sehun cringes when Jongin sighs in content, blessed with his so-called polygamous relationship. Sehun has a girlfriend himself. The petite, doe-eyed librarian who’s so sweet that Sehun melts every time he sees her.

 

“It’s a him,” Sehun would tell Chanyeol repeatedly. “Lu Han doesn’t like it when someone calls him a girl.”

 

Chanyeol thinks to himself; everyone around him is either crazy or gay. 

 

When their teacher begins to ramble on about Physics, Chanyeol takes it as a cue to fall asleep throughout the whole lesson. He dreams of hazel eyes, brown hair and sly smiles; he dreams of a girl, a pretty one—taking his hands, intertwining their fingers together and laughter so cute that Chanyeol feels a twitching in his chest. She wraps her arms around his neck and she smiles, and Chanyeol wants to know her name—Chanyeol wants her. “Chanyeol,” She whispers.

 

Chanyeol doesn’t reply. Instead, he stares. The soft look on her face disappears. Her voice grows deeper. “Chanyeol!”

 

Why the does this girl sound like Kris?!

 

“Park ing Chanyeol!” Kris smacks him by the head, waking him up from his trance. Chanyeol groans, kicking the taller boy by his legs and Kris winces in pain. “!”

 

“I wanna date someone.” Chanyeol says and Kris gapes. “That girl…”

 

“What girl?” Kris asks. “Come on, Park. We have football practice.”

 

Chanyeol grunts. “The girl of my dreams.”

 

 

The cheerleaders scream and shout, waving their red little pompoms in the air. One of the girls call Chanyeol by his name, but Chanyeol is too sleepy to acknowledge her and Sehun shakes his head, apologetic, feeling sorry for the girl who pouts in return. “You really need to step up your game, Park. The girls here would drop their as soon as you look at them.”

 

Being handsome is an advantage. Being the best football player is an additional advantage and Chanyeol realizes that most girls do want him—all he needs to do is just talk to them. Kris nods his head, agreeing with Sehun and he hands a bottle of water to the panting boy in front of him. “Come on, Jongin. Just a few more laps.”

 

“By laps, I want girls’ laps. As in a .” Jongin breathes heavily. “Not running laps.”

 

“Too bad,” Chanyeol snorts. “Save your thirsty for your girlfriends later. For now, you got to run.”

 

When Jongin wants to retort with a clever comeback, a loud scream from the side of the field startles them all. Including the jumping cheerleaders. Tiny little Kyungsoo stands there, water bottle in his hand and a dry, white towel in his other hand. “Go Junmyeonnie! Go, go!” 

 

Jongin huffs in annoyance, glaring at Kyungsoo who’s dancing to support his boy toy. Sehun laughs. Junmyeon scratches his head and waves back—Kyungsoo screams and blushes in return. “Junmyeon, I’m your fan!”

 

Junmyeon sweats. “I don’t even know his name…”

 

“His name is Kyungsoo,” Jongin sharply says. “Don’t talk to him.”

 

“Ooh, someone is angry.” Chanyeol teases. “Leave Kyungsoo alone, Jongin. He deserves to date or fall for a guy.”

 

Jongin points to the boy who’s running towards Junmyeon. “He’s being a total idiot.”

 

“Alright, snap out of it!” Kris shouts, “We have an upcoming game next week and you guys need to stop behaving like children.”

 

Jongin grunts not forgetting to throw an offensive middle finger to the frozen Kyungsoo who, in return, flashes a look of hurt—Jongin is too preoccupied with depressing thoughts to notice. Junmyeon does notice, though. He stops running and turns to Kyungsoo who’s looking down, defeated and pained, walking away from the field. Junmyeon calls out for him. “Hey, wait up, Kyungsoo!”

 

Kyungsoo turns around, mouth agape and eyes glittering. Junmyeon chuckles at his startled look, swiping his wet hair against his forehead and walks over to the smaller boy. Jongin continues to run, but he slows down once Junmyeon reaches over to brush his hand against Kyungsoo. “Can I have my drink?”

 

Kyungsoo blushes, timidly handing out the water bottle he has been waiting for Junmyeon to take. “H-here.”

 

“Thanks,” Junmyeon grins. “You’re really kind.”

 

Jongin shoves Sehun, who is blocking his way and runs his hand in his hair. “!”

 

“You know, if Jongin wasn’t so crazy with his girlfriends, I would’ve think there’s something going on with him and Kyungsoo.” Kris says once he jogs along with Chanyeol.

 

“Maybe there is something going on with them,” Chanyeol eyes the small boy who continues to cheer for Junmyeon and Jongin who continues to run. “Something one-sided.”

 

 

“Who’s the girl you’ve been talking about earlier?”

 

Chanyeol has always hated night classes. The fact that the students have been in school since morning and they have to go back home at midnight is bull—Chanyeol honestly does not understand how the school system works. However, he takes his books out of his locker and walks beside Kris who’s still waiting for his response. “It’s nothing. I just dreamt of some girl.”

 

Sehun startles both of them by grabbing onto their shoulders. “And…?”

 

“She makes me want to know the feeling of dating someone.” He admits. “Set me up with someone.”

 

Sarcastic laughter. “Serious?”

 

“Yes,” Annoyed, Chanyeol walks faster to his class—he misses the faint shadow of a boy and lingering cigarettes behind the abandoned, dark class. He shudders at the sudden shift of air and glances at the gaping, rusty door. He stops pacing, books held against his chest slightly slipping out as he stares at the class. It has this some sort of an attraction and Chanyeol wants to know what it is.

 

“Sure, we’ll set you up with someone.” Kris nods. “How about that one girl from our Biology class? She seems into you.”

 

Chanyeol was about to agree, until Sehun cuts his words with a sly smirk. “It’s not fun if we just set him up with someone… How about a bet, Park?”

 

They arrive at their class and Chanyeol grabs the empty seat at the far back, settling his books down and cautiously looks back at Sehun. “What kind of bet?”

 

“Hmm,” Sehun pretends to think. “I bet that you could fall in love within 10 days, with the inexperienced you are.”

 

“That’s offensive.” Chanyeol retorts. “I could never fall in love within 10 days, you . That’s impossible.”

 

“It’s a scientific fact that a person could fall in love within 4 months.” Kris whispers. “I looked it up on Google.”

 

Chanyeol has never fallen in love and he has never been loved—he doesn’t know the feeling of heartbreak and butterflies in his stomach. He never liked the idea of committing oneself to a person and devoting one’s entire life being in love with another person. Still, he wants to try. “Deal. Put some money on the wager.”

 

 

By the next day, Sehun and Kris are already on the hunt for Chanyeol’s first love and Jongin is suddenly down in the dumps. His girlfriends are nowhere to be seen and Kyungsoo is still sighing over Kim Junmyeon and his charms. Sehun’s eyes trail that particular girl passing by their table and he hums in satisfaction. “That girl, Chanyeol. She seems like your type.”

 

“You don’t know my type,” Chanyeol rolls his eyes, before noticing the presence of Lu Han the librarian buying milk at the counter of the café. Chanyeol smirks at the sight. “How about that chick? She seems like my type.”

 

Sehun grits his teeth, ready to attack the tall, lanky boy in front of him who laughs in victory. He glances at his small boyfriend, eyes softening when he sees Lu Han getting startled at the rumble of Chanyeol’s ugly laugh. The librarian turns around, giving Sehun a bashful smile and Sehun makes a choked sound in return.

 

“Ah, I need a breather.” Chanyeol stands up, stretches his arms and yawns. “You guys bore me.”

 

Kris clicks on his tongue, clearly offended. “Yeah, yeah fine! We’re just being good pals trying to find a girl for you, but sure, sure, walk away!”

 

Chanyeol chuckles, waving his friends off and lets his feet drag him to his secret spot. When he reaches the door of the staircase to the rooftop, though, Chanyeol’s finger twitches and he glances at the abandoned class just beside the door. Cautiously, he walks over and catches the sight of a boy staring outside the window, burnt cigarette in between his dainty fingers. He stands by the opened door, dazed and distracted with ashes and dazzling hazels.

 

“It’s rude to stare.”

 

 

 

They say it was the cigarettes. Baekhyun thinks that it’s bull. He knows he was ed up since his childhood and he clearly remembered being rushed to the hospital every time he unintentionally drowned himself in the bathtub at the age of five. His mother had shed tears for him and his father patted him on the head, telling him that it was all going to be fine. And at the age of five, Baekhyun snorted and muttered, “Liar.”

 

Death is his best friend. His brother said that that Baekhyun was in some sort of a long distance relationship with death and he was just waiting to meet his good friend. Baekhyun hated his brother ever since. Even so, Baekhyun knew how much his brother loved him—he realized that after his brother tiptoed to his room when he was asleep and cried by his nightstand, telling him not to go.

 

That morning, Baekhyun ruffles his brother’s hair and whispers, “Death is not a choice—it’s a solution.”

 

“A solution to what?” His brother sobs and Baekhyun swallows the lump in his throat. He hates it when people cry. Especially when they cry for him. It makes him seem pathetic and sad. “A solution to everything.”

 

He hates going to the hospital. It’s like his second home. It’s where he breathes and functions—it is also where Baekhyun had his first love and first heartbreak. Since he rarely could go to school and fall in love like normal 15 year olds do, his first love was his own surgeon.

 

Doctor Kim had the handsomest smile and he liked to pat Baekhyun’s hair. He was one of the reasons why Baekhyun kind of anticipated his regular check ups because Doctor Kim would ask how his day was and he would place his palm on Baekhyun’s chest. He knew that the said doctor was only doing his job—but Baekhyun’s delusional mind could have its own fantasy.

 

His first heartbreak was when he felt the stinging metal of Doctor Kim’s wedding ring against his bare skin. He never knew the doctor was married and Baekhyun, childishly, cried for days. Baekhyun was stupid. His brother called him stupid.

 

Baekhyun has a journal—it was his universe. He writes everything in the black, leathered book, bringing it everywhere and jolting down anything that pops into his mind. Doctor Kim made it to the seventh page.

 

21st Dec 2012: Dr. Kim. Married. No one could be better than him.

 

22nd Dec 2012: Am I gay? Self, please ask again once you turn 18. In that way, you would be more matured and you could think wisely.

 

Baekhyun despises materialistic gadgets. He never liked having phones—he doesn’t even watch the television and he has never experienced the feeling of listening to good music. It wasn’t like his parents did not allow him to do so. He simply does not like those stuffs. He figures that they are all a waste of time.

 

He likes writing letters and he breathes poetry. Baekhyun has no friends—he has books. He spends his day reading and drowning in words of poetic stories, falling asleep with his book tugged against his chest. That was his daily routine. It was nothing much. He wanted to be brave and take risks—because, why not? Within a few days, his body would decay and he would decease, so it’s better to take risks now before he regrets it.

 

21st Aug 2013: Trying out cigarettes. Feels nice.

 

24th Aug 2013: Crystal meth isn’t something you want. Nope.

 

Doctor Kim seemed depressed and distressed when he told Baekhyun that he had a thin chance to live. “I don’t understand why you keep on declining surgeries, Baekhyun-ah. Why are you like this?”

 

“I’m a human.” Baekhyun replied. “Surviving or not, I’ll still die. It won’t make any difference.”

 

“But—”

 

Baekhyun grinned. “Ten days, huh?”

 

Doctor Kim shook his head.

 

 

Day 1.

 

He exhales. Doctor Kim really did look sad. Baekhyun feels flattered. He sighs and stares out of the window, watching as the sun shines against the leaves. He taps on his cigarette, ashes residue falling onto his bare feet and staining his school uniform. He senses and acknowledges the presence of someone staring at him—Baekhyun huffs.

 

“It’s rude to stare.”

 

 

 

A few moments of silence pass and Chanyeol almost thinks that the other guy had fallen asleep on his cigarette.

 

“It’s rude to skip classes.” Chanyeol says. “Recess was over since like, 5 minutes ago.”

 

The pretty boy chuckles in return. “Well, then, you should go. Wouldn’t wanna be late for your class, would you?”

 

Chanyeol is absolutely, completely mesmerized. He does not realize that he’s walking into the room and nearer to the boy who eyes him in suspicion. He reaches out, not knowing what he wants—perhaps he wants to touch the boy; said boy seems so fragile and unreal that Chanyeol is suddenly afraid. His trance breaks once the boy speaks again. “Don’t come any closer.”

 

He stops. “Why?”

 

“If you come closer,” The boy throws his cigarette out the window, putting his bare feet on the cold floor and walks nearer to Chanyeol despite he, himself saying that Chanyeol should not come any closer to him. The boy leans in to whisper against Chanyeol’s ear. “We would talk—and if we talk, we would end up being friends.”

 

“Why can’t we be friends?”

 

“Because, stranger, I simply do not want to have any friends.”

 

“Why?”

 

The boy bluntly stares at Chanyeol. “Do you really ask a lot of questions to people you don’t know?”

 

This time, it’s Chanyeol’s turn to lean in and he smirks at the sight of the boy’s widened eyes as he backs away. “What if I want to know you?”

 

“Don’t.”

 

Chanyeol frowns. “Why not?”

 

The boy groans, obviously irritated and disturbed by Chanyeol’s presence. Still, he does not bother to walk away like a normal human being. “Listen here—wait, what’s your name?”

 

“Chanyeol,” He utters. “Park Chanyeol.”

 

“Okay, Park Chanyeol,” The boy pulls onto Chanyeol’s school tie, making him yelp. “I do not want to have friends because if I have friends, I commit to them and they commit to me. We would be attached and I would not want to hurt my friend once the time comes.”

 

“What time?”

 

“Oh dear god, you’re ing annoying.”

 

Chanyeol grins.

 

“The time of my death’s arrival,” The boy simply says, smiling. His dainty fingers tremble as he waves his hand in front of Chanyeol. “Hi, my name is Byun Baekhyun and I’m dying.”

 

Chanyeol’s grin drops.

 

“Hi,” He awkwardly greets back. “My name is Park Chanyeol and I’m… living.”

 

The boy, Baekhyun, laughs and it’s the sweetest thing he has ever heard. Chanyeol begins to doubt his uality. Baekhyun takes his hand and he wraps their hands together in a friendly handshake and Chanyeol’s world spins. “It’s nice to meet you.”

 

“So does this mean that we could be friends?”

 

“We could,” Baekhyun lets his hand go and Chanyeol deprives. “Though I have warned you; I will die and you will mourn.”

 

Chanyeol snickers. “Trust me, I won’t—no offense, but I hardly cry.”

 

“If you say so.” Baekhyun says. “Go on, now, Chanyeol. You will be late for your class. I will see you in detention.”

 

Chanyeol gives him a salute before walking out of the door and smiling all his way to class.

 

 

 

 

“Where’s Kyungsoo?”

 

Jongin’s muffled question remains unanswered as Kris continues to stare at Chanyeol and Sehun gapes at the smiling guy. Chanyeol hums, jolting down the teacher’s notes and occasionally glancing at the clock to check the time. He needs to rush to detention, since he doesn’t know which class Baekhyun is in and when we could see him again.

 

“What the happened to you?” Sehun asks in disbelief. “You just got yelled at for coming late to class and having to go to detention later on—did you hit your head on a rock or something?”

 

Chanyeol opens his mouth to reply, but the next bell rings and Chanyeol grabs his stationaries and shoved them in his bag before glancing back at Sehun and Kris (and still-sleepy-Yixing). “See you guys at night class!”

 

Kris’ jaw drops. “What the hell…”

 

 

“Baekhyun!”

 

Chanyeol taps the small boy on his shoulder and unexpectedly startles him. Baekhyun looks at him for a while before he reads his book again. “Hey, hey. Don’t you remember me?”

 

“Of course I do,” Baekhyun fakes a yawn. “But I’m busy, new friend. Find some things to do.”

 

He ignores Baekhyun’s advice and pokes on Baekhyun’s arm. “So, what’s the deal with you and the dying thing?”

 

Baekhyun shuts his book close and stares at Chanyeol, face uninterested and reopens his book. Chanyeol groans. “Tell me! I’m your new friend.”

 

“It’s as simple as this; I’m sick and I don’t have any time to live,” Baekhyun mumbles. “In fact, I have a total of ten days to function and do stuff. Cool, huh?”

 

“Cool indeed…” Chanyeol stammers. “You’re a weird one. Are you the type of person who’s gothic and suicidal?”

 

Baekhyun laughs, distracted and no longer focusing on his book. “Of course not. If I were suicidal, I would’ve been dead long ago.”

 

“But then you wouldn’t have met me.” Chanyeol smirks in triumph.

 

“Ah,” Baekhyun sarcastically sighs, placing a hand on his heart. “Then I have made a mistake on not being suicidal.”

 

“You’re mean,” Chanyeol pouts. “Say, what’re you going to do within these ten days?”

 

“I don’t know. Maybe I’ll just sit around and wait ‘till I die.” Baekhyun says. “I wonder how hell would feel like. Can’t wait,”

 

Chanyeol laughs at the remark. For a person who is dying, Baekhyun does not seem that frightened. If Chanyeol has ten days to live, he would spend every single day asking for forgiveness and crying. He silently admires Baekhyun for being so relaxed. Then, Chanyeol remembers what a person could possibly do in ten days. “Hey, Baekhyun.”

 

The boy raises a brow.

 

“Do you think it’s possible for one to fall in love within ten days?” He asks and Baekhyun pretends to think before answering. “Nope.”

 

“My friends made a bet—they said that I could fall in love within ten days but I need to prove that I couldn’t. It’s not possible.” He replies. “Wanna help me?”

 

Baekhyun chuckles. “How?”

 

“You have ten days to live and I need ten days of dating someone,” Chanyeol holds onto Baekhyun’s poetry book. “We would be the perfect combination.”

 

It was a crazy idea. Chanyeol regrets his words the moment he said it, but Baekhyun is actually considering his offer and the boy pats his black gel pen against his bottom lip and Chanyeol is focused on the small flaw on the upper corner of Baekhyun’s lips. Baekhyun stops thinking and leans in closer to Chanyeol. “Do you mind having with me, then?”

 

The question has Chanyeol tripping on his feet and choking for air. Baekhyun laughs at his expression before shifting his look into a serious one and Chanyeol swallows. “I… don’t know…? Why?”

 

“I don’t wanna die a ,” Baekhyun admits. “What does feel like? I want to know.”

 

I don’t know, but I want to know too. Chanyeol wants to say, but he does not. Who knows what could happen if he does?

 

“Okay, deal,” Chanyeol ruffles Baekhyun’s hair. “We’ll see how it goes.”

 

Baekhyun looks up to the taller boy just to find him smiling back at him teasingly. “Are we boyfriends now?”

 

“I don’t know,” Chanyeol says. “Should we seal the deal with a kiss?”

 

Baekhyun is quick to cover his mouth, slamming Chanyeol’s face with his poetry book and cowering away. Chanyeol laughs at this, and he figures that having Baekhyun for ten days would not be so bad. “I don’t want to lose my first kiss to a loser.”

Chanyeol laughs even more. “I’m the school’s most popular football player and no one knows you—who’s the loser now?”

 

“You are,” Baekhyun replies. “Because, if you weren’t such a loser—then why choose another loser to be your 10-day boyfriend?”

 

“Argument accepted. I will shut up now,” Chanyeol grins. “So, should I call you mine?”

 

Baekhyun shakes his head, laughing and mumbling ‘Idiot’, but he does not say no, either.

 

21st Aug 2015: 10 days to my awaited death and I suddenly have a boyfriend. The universe is a funny place.

 

Park Chanyeol.

 

My boyfriend is Park Chanyeol.

 

 

 

“Give me your phone number.”

 

“I don’t have one.”

 

“How can you not have a phone number?”

 

“I don’t have a phone.”

 

Baekhyun is unbelievable. Just how lame could he even get? Chanyeol has always imagined texting and calling his future love interests late at night, saving their numbers with cute signs and nick names. He realizes that he has made the wrong choice of a first boyfriend. “You’re so lame, mine. No wonder no one wants to be friends with you.”

 

“It’s not like people doesn’t want to be friends with me, boyfriend,” Baekhyun rubs his palms against each other and places them on his cheek due to the cold weather. Chanyeol thinks he’s adorable. “I don’t want to be friends with them.”

 

Baekhyun does not seem like an anti-social person—especially when he warmed up easily when he’s with Chanyeol. Perhaps people just need to know how to approach him. Detention ended a few minutes ago and Chanyeol scoffed at the people pushing him just to get out of the cramped room and escape hell. Baekhyun, however, took his time arranging his books. If it wasn’t for Chanyeol who pulled him out of the room and dragged him outside, Baekhyun would’ve stayed in there for a year. Oh wait—he is going to die in 10 days. Chanyeol shakes his head.

 

“I have football practice in an hour,” Chanyeol unintentionally takes both of Baekhyun’s pale hands and warms them up with his. He cringes at the thought of them being so close to each other. Still, he does not bother to let go. “Watch me play?”

 

“As much as I want to watch men fighting over a ball,” Baekhyun plays with Chanyeol’s large palms, dazed. “I have a doctor’s appointment soon.”

 

Chanyeol’s shoulders slump. “Oh.”

 

Baekhyun cackles. Oddly, it sounds nice. “Don’t look so sad, boyfriend. We’ve just met and we’re ‘dating’, I’m sure you could still survive and see me tomorrow.”

 

“I want to show you off to my friends,” Chanyeol says. “They’re the ones who started the bet.”

 

“Do I get any money? I’m a part of this bet, aren’t I?” Baekhyun flashes him a sheepish grin. His smile looks mischievous but sweet simultaneously—breathtaking at the same time—Chanyeol does not really know what to think.

 

“The bet ends in ten days, mine.” Chanyeol lets go of Baekhyun’s hand and grabs on the straps of his bag pack. “I’ll send the money to your funeral.”

 

“Man, you’re a one callous boyfriend, huh?” Baekhyun giggles, although his smile does not quite reach the crinkle of his eyes. “You’re so insensitive. But I like that.”

 

 

21st Aug 2015: Park Chanyeol. Better than Doctor Kim.

 

 

 

“I got a boyfriend.”

 

Sehun spits his drink out and Kris falls onto his , Jongin accidentally pushes one of his girlfriends away and Yixing is still sleeping. Kris is the first one to shout. “I told you he’s gay!”

 

Kyungsoo claps his hands in delight. “Welcome to the gay gang, Chanyeol!”

 

“I’m not gay,” Chanyeol denies. “I don’t know. I just have a boyfriend. Who cares about my uality?”

 

“Well, I do—the girls here are thirsty for you and you go around flirting with boys?” Jongin scrunches up his face. His girlfriend plants a kiss or two on his lips and Kyungsoo looks away.

 

“In my defense,” Chanyeol points an accusing finger towards Jongin. “Baekhyun is a nice guy.”

 

“What—Baek—who?”

“Byun Baekhyun,” Chanyeol proudly claims. “My boyfriend.”

 

Kris rubs at his temple and sighs, as if he’s concerned about his son’s future and he gives Chanyeol a stern look. “It’s one thing that you go around dating boys—you picked a random stranger as your boy—love interest?”

 

“He’s not a stranger.” Chanyeol scowls. “He’s a student here.”

 

Sehun sniggers. “Okay, so which class is he in?”

 

“I…” Chanyeol taps a finger against his chin. “I haven’t asked him about his age yet.”

 

“Oh my god,” Kyungsoo smacks his palm onto his face. “You’re an idiot.”

 

“It’s okay—it’s not a big deal, I’ll ask him tomorrow or—hey! That’s him!” Chanyeol runs towards the fence, watching as Baekhyun walks to the bus stand, hysterically waving his long arms around and shouting Baekhyun’s name. Baekhyun, on the other side, turns around and drops his book, startled at his new boyfriend’s behavior. “Mine! Mine, wait up!”

 

Chanyeol grabs onto the green fence that separates him and Baekhyun, frantically panting and sticks his hand out of the fence to reach out to Baekhyun, calling him over. Baekhyun shakes his head, laughing as he bends down to pick up his book. “What is it, boyfriend?”

 

Kris and Sehun stare at each other weirdly before walking over to Chanyeol and giving Baekhyun a small wave of their hands. “Is this your boyfriend, Chanyeol?”

 

“Aww, he’s so pretty!” Kyungsoo exclaims, clasping his hands together and sighing dreamily. “He’s such a doll! Nice job, Chanyeol!”

 

Yixing stays sleepy, standing beside the excited Kyungsoo.

 

Chanyeol ignores his friend and holds onto Baekhyun’s right hand despite the blocking fence. “Mine, how old are you?”

 

“I’m 18,” Baekhyun tilts his head to his left, pursing his lips. “Why?”

 

Kris nods his head. “You’re older than us.”

 

“Just by a year,” Chanyeol coaxes. “No worries, mine. You don’t look that old. You could pass for a nine year old kid.”

 

“Charming,” Baekhyun says, always smiling. “Can you let go of my hand? I really need to take the bus now.”

 

Chanyeol’s eyes shimmer with hope as he turns to Kris before pouting. “Krrriiiiis, can I skip practice and walk my boyfriend home?”

 

Jongin shakes his head. “Oh my god.”

“Wha—Chanyeol, we have an upcoming game. You need to take this seriously.” Kris frowns. “You can see your… boyfriend tomorrow.”

 

Defeated, Chanyeol reluctantly lets Baekhyun’s hand go and turns back, not forgetting to glare at Kris. “Fine.”

 

Baekhyun’s voice makes him stop at his tracks. “Bye, boyfriend.”

 

Chanyeol grins. “Bye, mine.”

 

 

Sehun leans in to whisper in Kris’ ear. “You know how I said that Chanyeol could fall in love within ten days?”

 

Kris nods.

 

“I think he is already in love within half a day.”

 

 

 

Baekhyun taps his fingers against his book placed on his lap as he fidgets in his seat, shivering. The cold atmosphere of the waiting room intimidates him and he looks at the ‘Curing Cancer’ advertisement attached on Doctor Kim’s closed door. A nurse walks into the room and catches his attention when she calls him by his surname. “Mr. Byun, we are ready for you.”

 

He has been to the same room for the past few years, decades, even—but he still has this nervous feeling in his chest when he realizes that it was all real. ‘Byun Baekhyun: Lung cancer—stage 4.’ is written on the paper he is holding and Baekhyun does not have the strength to fall onto his knees any longer.

 

“How are you doing today, Baekhyun?” Doctor Kim greets him nicely, and if he was the fifteen year old Baekhyun, he would have melted right then and there. But it’s all different now. He has a boyfriend. Baekhyun shakes his head, trying to prevent himself from thinking of the jock. “Are you doing well?”

 

“I’m good, but I’ll be honest…” Baekhyun whispers. “My chest hurts sometimes; it’s hard to breathe, especially when I’m sleeping.”

 

Doctor Kim nods, understanding and he furrows his eyebrows—he only does this when he is feeling anxious about something and Baekhyun feels his skin prick. He feels suffocated. He needs to get out of that room. “I’m very concerned about you, Baekhyun… I think we need to do some checkups. You need more rest.”

 

“It’s not that severe—”

 

“I’m the doctor, here, Baekhyun. You need to listen to me.” Doctor Kim takes his spectacles off and pinches the bridge of his nose. “You only have a few days left… unless you go for the surgery. I suggest that we should admit you to the hospital so we could monitor you.”

Baekhyun scoffs. “I’m not a fragile glass that needs to be taken care of every day, Doctor Kim. I’ll be fine. I still have to go to school, don’t I?”

 

“You will have a 40% chance of surviving if you allow us to perform a surgery for your own good,” The doctor stresses. “Please, Baekhyun.”

 

“40% is a small chance. It is a risk. Rather than torturing me by running knives on me, you should just let me die peacefully.” He smiles.

 

 

Day 2.

 

 

“You smell nice.”

 

Baekhyun giggles loudly, letting his body being rocked left and right as Chanyeol hugs him from his back. Chanyeol breathes against the crook of his neck and Baekhyun shudders. He turns slightly to look at Chanyeol’s face—the boy is so near to him that their lips would brush against each other with one single movement. “I smell like death and medicine.”

 

“Still nice,” Chanyeol hums, mouthing against Baekhyun’s clothed shoulder. “You’re so pale though. I could see your veins.”

 

“You’re too close for comfort,” Baekhyun softly bumps his forehead onto the tip of Chanyeol’s nose. “We’ve only been dating for two days. You should slow down.”

 

“I’m experimenting—trying to fall in love within ten days,” Chanyeol says. “It’s not working.”

 

Baekhyun curls Chanyeol’s brown hair behind his large ear and he lets his palm rest on Chanyeol’s face. “That’s good, boyfriend. You’re not supposed to fall in love with me.”

 

“Because you’re dying?”

 

Baekhyun nods. “Because I’m dying.”

 

“What if I accidentally fall in love with you, anyway?” Chanyeol teases, hesitantly brushing his lips on Baekhyun’s forehead. “Would you turn into a ghost and haunt me for loving you?”

 

“Are you always this clingy with a person you just met, boyfriend?” Baekhyun tries to free himself from Chanyeol’s embrace, but the taller’s strong arms traps him and he feels warm.

 

“Only with you, mine.” Chanyeol chuckles. “You’re my boyfriend, remember?”

 

“Fake boyfriend,” The elder corrects him. “You’re not allowed to touch your fake boyfriend inappropriately like this.”

 

“Come on, mine, answer my question.” Chanyeol says. “Why don’t you let me—or anyone—fall in love with you?”

 

Baekhyun stays silent for a while before he wraps both of thin hands around Chanyeol’s neck and pushes the younger’s head down, linking their foreheads together. Chanyeol tightens his hold on Baekhyun’s small waist, drowning in Baekhyun’s pair of eyes.

 

“Heartbreaks,” Baekhyun shakily whispers. “Evaluations are manic.”

 

He does not exactly understand what Baekhyun means, but curiosity wins over him and he leans in to claim his name on Baekhyun’s lips and Baekhyun accepts him and Baekhyun tastes like the sea and Chanyeol craves for more.

 

“You were not supposed to kiss me, boyfriend,” Baekhyun whimpers when he pulls away, stepping back and grabbing at his chest, trying hard to breathe. He inhales and chokes on the sudden tears falling from his eyes. Chanyeol is about to hold him when Baekhyun laughs and punch Chanyeol’s shoulder playfully. “Idiot.”

 

“It was an experimental kiss,” Chanyeol lies. “I’m not in love with you or anything, mine.”

 

They stay side by side on the rooftop, not caring about their missed classes and football practices. Chanyeol notices that Baekhyun gets tired easily, always fluttering his eyes close and soft features covered with fatigue. He lets Baekhyun sleep on his lap as he runs his hair into the boy’s hair, frightened when he sees the fallen hair on his hand. Then he remembers. Baekhyun is dying.

 

“9 more days,” He whispers as Baekhyun stirs in his sleep. “My boyfriend.”

 

 

 

“Poem speaks collaboration of statics,” Baekhyun tells him when Chanyeol asks him what’s so special about his books of poetry. It seems like Baekhyun is somehow a person who lives in the past—he does not like the existence of music and pixilated pictures.

 

He also learns that Baekhyun hates taking the bus, taxi or the train—he likes walking, but his doctor said that his illness isn’t allowing him to do so. Chanyeol tells him that he owns a car and he would love to drive with Baekhyun in shot gun, but Baekhyun turns him down and offers him a ride on the bus instead. Even though Baekhyun hates buses, the driver greets him happily as if they have known each other for a long time.

 

“My parents are busy,” Baekhyun explains. “I do not like to depend on them. They have their own lives.”

 

“My step mother’s a e,” Chanyeol says and Baekhyun seems unfazed. “Delightful.”

 

Chanyeol tries to read Baekhyun’s book of poetry as he sits on the bus, but he finds himself yawning in two minutes and Baekhyun chuckles, amused. “You’re bored already?”

 

“I don’t like big English words, mine.” He says. “Where are we going, anyways?”

 

“You told Kris that you wanted to walk me home yesterday, so here we are—although, we’re not exactly walking.” Baekhyun pinches his boyfriend’s cheek. “Excuse this sickness of mine.”

 

Now that Chanyeol is thinking about it—Baekhyun still has not told him about his sickness and the reason why he was dying. Chanyeol feels like it is rude to ask, but they are dating—as silly as it sounds, Chanyeol figures that he has the rights to know. The bus arrives at the third stop and Baekhyun pulls at his hand, taking a few walks before they reach his house. “What kind of sickness do you have?”

 

“Cancer,” Baekhyun takes out his house keys and unlocks the door. “Want to come in?”

 

Chanyeol blinks. “Isn’t it too early for ?”

 

Baekhyun stands still, frozen. “Who said that we’re going to have ?”

 

“Oh—” Chanyeol stutters, “—I thought that—” He blushes. “Sorry.”

 

“Unless if you want to, then sure,” Baekhyun replies and Chanyeol chokes on air. “We could.”

 

Chanyeol does not know if Baekhyun acknowledges this or not but he is a stunningly charming boy. Baekhyun is skinny and he looks weak, but his lips are attractively pale and subtly pink and his eyes are beautiful even if they have lost their spark. Chanyeol wants him and he is afraid of wanting.

 

Baekhyun hands him a glass of cold water, taking his hand and leading him further into his house. Chanyeol glances at the frames of pictures and his gaze stops and stares longer at the particular frame of Baekhyun smiling. Chanyeol wants to tell Baekhyun that he is beautiful and stunning, but he knows Baekhyun would only say that he looks like a walking corpse, so Chanyeol shuts his lips and allows Baekhyun to drag him to his room.

 

“Make yourself at home.” Baekhyun says, placing his glass of water on his table as he walks to his bed and lies down. Chanyeol gapes as he looks around Baekhyun’s room, full of letters and poetry, and Chanyeol realizes that Baekhyun does hates materialistic things. That explains Baekhyun’s curious gasp when Chanyeol takes out his phone.

 

“Woah,” Baekhyun peeks over Chanyeol’s shoulder to look at his phone. “What is that, boyfriend?”

 

Chanyeol looks at him in disbelief, wondering if Baekhyun is joking. “It’s an iPhone.”

 

“Why do you call it an ‘iPhone’?”

 

He’s not sure if Baekhyun is feigning innocence or he really does not know the existence of iPhones, so Chanyeol tests him. “It’s a phone that I made myself, so I call it an iPhone.”

 

“—Baek, you’re an idiot and your boy toy is a liar.”

 

Chanyeol flings his phone, startled by the sudden appearance of a man by Baekhyun’s door and his small boyfriend laughs. “Baekbeom!”

 

“Hello, little brother,” The stranger, Baekbeom, who Chanyeol supposes is Baekhyun’s brother, squints his eyes at Chanyeol. “Who is this?”

 

Baekhyun grabs his arm and rubs his cheek against Chanyeol’s shoulder, smiling sweetly. “This is my boyfriend. We’ve only been dating for two days, but I’m considering the so would you be a darling and get the out of my room?”

 

“Hm,” Baekbeom does not seem amused. “What is he going to say when you die?”

 

Chanyeol sputters. “I-I—we’re not in love, you see.”

 

“Yup,” Baekhyun nods in agreement. “And he already said that he will not mourn over me when I die. Isn’t that sweet?”

 

 

22nd Aug 2015: Dear 15 year old self, to answer your question about your uality: yes. You are gay.

 

 

Day 3.

 

Kyungsoo starts to date Junmyeon all of a sudden and Jongin, surprisingly breaks up with two of his girlfriends. He disappears for a few days when Junmyeon starts to hang out with them more frequently. Jongin does not show up for football practice and Kris is starting to get worried and depressed over the upcoming games.

 

“He’s in love with Kyungsoo,” Baekhyun says when Chanyeol tells him about the drama that has been happening with his friends. “That is why he’s so upset when Kyungsoo is dating another person.”

 

“That’s not true—Jongin has girlfriends. Not one girlfriend, two girlfriends!” Chanyeol points out. “And he said that he loves both of them.”

 

“He was lying,” Baekhyun deadpans. “Everyone lies.”

 

“Do you tell lies, too, mine?”

“I do not like telling lies.” Baekhyun says, feeding Chanyeol his lunch. “My parents tell me lies all the time. My doctor tells lies as well.”

 

“You’re lying if you say that you’ve never lied before,” Chanyeol puffs his cheeks, mouth full with food and Sehun looks at him weirdly before drifting his attention to Lu Han.

 

“I will admit that I lied to you twice,” Baekhyun says. “But I won’t tell you what I lied about.”

 

Chanyeol scowls. “Mine, did you lie about being a ?”

 

“No, that one is true,” Baekhyun smacks Chanyeol’s head. It felt like getting hit by thin air. “I’m still a .”

 

Chanyeol spends his whole day thinking about Baekhyun’s lies. Is it his knowledge on iPhones? Or is it when he said that Chanyeol was his first kiss? He stresses his brains out trying to think of the possibility of Baekhyun lying. Baekhyun is an angel, he smiles and he laughs and he never lies. Chanyeol pouts. He drags himself to his class and falls asleep in between English Literature and Chemistry, and before he knows it, he feels a light tap on his shoulder and soft whispers in his ears.
 

He opens his eyes to see Baekhyun sitting on the table in front of him, resting his chin on his palm and smiling fondly at Chanyeol. “Good morning, boyfriend.”

 

“Hey…” Chanyeol groans. “Where is everyone?”

 

“Well, uhm, they went home—night classes are cancelled.” Baekhyun gently cradles his face with both of his hands. “Take me home?”

 

“Let’s go and find something to eat,” He stands up and wraps his arm around Baekhyun’s shoulder, walking towards the school gates. “How does a first date sound?”

 

He brings Baekhyun to his favorite café in town. Baekhyun complained when Chanyeol told him to ride on his car, but Chanyeol managed to shut him up after he shoved Baekhyun in the front seat of his car and buckled up the seat belt for him. Baekhyun huffed.

 

“This café ,” Baekhyun sticks his tongue out. “I can brew better coffees.”

 

Chanyeol ignores the rude remark on his favorite café and he starts asking questions. “You said that you have cancer, right?”

 

“Yeah, stage four.” Baekhyun makes a cute sign with his hand as he winks. “My lungs are tired of me.”

 

“Stage four?!” Chanyeol gasps, “Mine, you’re—oh my god, aren’t you supposed to be in the hospital?!”

 

“I am… but I don’t want to.” Baekhyun sips on his latte. “The doctors aren’t even half as handsome as you are.”

 

Chanyeol blushes, but he does not lose his sense. “Baekhyun, you… Why don’t you want to go to the hospital?”

 

“Aww, you’re not calling me yours anymore.” Baekhyun pouts. “That’s sad.”

 

Chanyeol is fast to hold onto both of Baekhyun’s hands and gazes at him worriedly. “M-Mine, your cancer can be treated—it’s not too late for—”

 

“Boyfriend, I don’t want you to do this,” Baekhyun avoids looking into Chanyeol’s eyes and yanks his hands away. “Please don’t do this. Please don’t be like everybody else.”

 

“I-I’m not—I just,” Chanyeol stammers. “I want to spend more time with you.”

 

Baekhyun shuts his eyes. “Don’t say things that make it seem like you’re in love with me.”

 

“What if I am?” Chanyeol dares. “What if I am in love with you?”

 

“Then stop. Stop falling and go away. I don’t need you in my life if you’re like this.”

 

Baekhyun does not talk to him after that and Chanyeol tries to apologize for his sudden argument, but Baekhyun simply shakes his head and tells Chanyeol to drive him home. Baekhyun falls asleep fifteen minutes after being in his car and Chanyeol stops at the traffic light to look at the sleeping figure.

 

“It’s not possible…” He brushes his fingers against Baekhyun’s hair. “It’s only been three days; it’s not possible.”

 

He shakes Baekhyun’s shoulder when he arrives at Baekhyun’s house and his small boyfriend flashes him a tired smile. “Thank you for the ride, boyfriend.”

 

Chanyeol grabs him by his collar and kisses him so hard that he knocks the air out of Baekhyun’s lungs. Baekhyun gasps, closing his eyes and lets the tears fall as he slants his lips against Chanyeol’s warm ones. Chanyeol pants once they pull away and he begs—desperate, wanting, yearning.

 

“Please don’t die.”

 

“I warned you,” Baekhyun softly kisses his cheek. “I warned you not to be friends with me.”

 

 

23rd Aug 2015: I’m in love. And for the first time, I don’t want to die. Please don’t let me die.

 

 

Day 4.

 

It’s a Saturday. Chanyeol wakes up feeling tired but he knows that he needs to see Baekhyun—a day not seeing Baekhyun is a day wasted. He grabs his car keys and storms out of his house, into his car and starts his day with the thoughts of making Baekhyun smile.

 

Baekhyun was about to enter his brother’s car when Chanyeol arrives at his front gate and Baekhyun turns at him in pleasant surprise. “Hey, boyfriend. What are you doing here?”

 

“I want to take you on a second date,” Chanyeol bites his lip. “Where are you going, mine?”

 

“I’m going to the hospital.” Baekhyun says, “But Baekbeom is still getting ready. I’m already late.”

 

Chanyeol does not contemplate. “Tell him that I’ll bring you to the hospital. Can I?”

 

“Really, boyfriend? Our second date is going to be at the hospital?” Baekhyun grins. “That’s romantic.”

 

Chanyeol is not allowed to enter Doctor Kim’s office with him, so he settles on waiting for his boyfriend at the waiting room. He anxiously waits for Baekhyun, and he thinks of Baekhyun’s sickness. Lung cancer—Baekhyun has lung cancer and wasn’t he smoking when they first met?

 

“What the ,” Chanyeol mutters. “Was he trying to kill himself?”

 

 

“Mine,” Chanyeol calls him once Baekhyun receives his medicines on the counter. Baekhyun hums in reply. “Why were you smoking when I saw you the first time?”

 

“Oh, I was just releasing some stress.” Baekhyun waves a hand. “I’m not a heavy smoker, if you’re wondering.”

 

Chanyeol tries to get his mind off the image of his boyfriend smoking when he was at the most severe stage of his cancer—but he snaps out of his trance when Baekhyun winces in pain. Baekhyun cries out, holding onto Chanyeol’s hand. “Chanyeol—”

 

“W-What’s happening?” Chanyeol holds onto his boyfriend in panic, afraid of letting go. Baekhyun tries to gasp for air and his knees weaken. Chanyeol is terrified. “Mine, what’s—”

 

Chanyeol could not even finish his sentence as the nurses and doctors rush to Baekhyun who falls unconscious and takes his boyfriend away from him. Chanyeol tries hard to breathe and think, but he fails to do anything once he slumps down the floor.

 

 

Day 5.

 

“Flowers,” Chanyeol hands the bouquet to the boy who is smiling back at him. “Just for you.”

 

“How adorable,” Baekhyun takes the flowers away from him and tells him to come closer. He scoots a little on the bed and he looks so small in the patient’s robe, Chanyeol wants to hug him and never let go. Chanyeol lies on the tiny bed beside him, holding onto his waist and breathes in. And as if he let all of his control go, Chanyeol kisses Baekhyun’s neck.

 

“I thought I lost you,” Chanyeol whispers. “I was so scared.”

 

“You will,” Baekhyun whispers back. “You will lose me and I don’t want you to be afraid. I warned you.”

 

“I know, I know, but how—” He swallows. “How can I possibly control my feelings?”

 

“By not falling for me.” Baekhyun says and Chanyeol notices that his hair had grown thin due to the hair falling. Chanyeol doesn’t know what to think. “I’m dying, Chanyeol. I want you so much, but I’m dying.”

 

“You don’t have to go,” Chanyeol pleads, “Don’t go, please,”

 

He looks at the machines surrounding his Baekhyun, the heart monitor skipping a beat when they kiss and Baekhyun cries. “I want you to promise me something.”

 

“What is it?”

 

“Date someone else.”

 

Chanyeol stares back at him in shock. “What?”

 

“I want you to be happy but being with me… you won’t.” Baekhyun chuckles. “I don’t want you to attend my funeral. I don’t want you anywhere near me when I die. It would hurt me.”

 

Chanyeol looks at the weak boy beside him. He looks at the stitches on Baekhyun’s chest, underneath the thin clothe. He looks at how Baekhyun tries to smile. He loves him. He’s in love with him and he does not want him to go.

 

“Maybe you should date that pretty cheerleader girl,” Baekhyun suggests. “I know she’s into you.”

 

“There’s a reason why I always call you ‘mine’.” Chanyeol says. “It’s because I’m yours and no one else’s.”

 

“Silly boyfriend,” Baekhyun kisses him on his lips and Chanyeol savors. “It was only a bet, remember?”

 

 

Day 6.

 

It’s a busy week for him.

 

Chanyeol needs to be prepared for his upcoming game and he promises Baekhyun that he would see him for lunch later. Kris has been more strict when it comes to practice and Chanyeol does not mess around with his friends—instead, he trains and tires himself out.

 

“We need to be ready for tomorrow.” Kris says.

 

Chanyeol has been dating Baekhyun for six days and all those six days have been heaven for him—he has never fallen so hard before. It drives him crazy to think that he only has four more days until he could lose Baekhyun forever. He wants to spend his entire time with his boyfriend and to love him.

 

“Chanyeol,” Sehun says. “Do you want to go for lunch later with us?”

 

“I’ll pass.” Chanyeol declines and he grabs his bags. “I need to see Baekhyun.”

 

Sehun shrugs and tells him that he’d see him tomorrow for the games and Chanyeol runs to his car once he has finished practicing and heads down to the hospital to see his Baekhyun.

 

When Chanyeol arrives to the hospital and walks to the third floor, he expects to see Baekhyun sleeping in his room. Instead, he bumps into his boyfriend at the empty hallway and Baekhyun smiles at him. “Hi, boyfriend.”

 

He looks at Baekhyun who holds onto the IV stand beside him as he stares back at the younger man and Chanyeol immediately pulled his boyfriend into a hug and holds him tight. “Hi, I missed you so much, mine.”

 

“It’s only been a day,” Baekhyun laughs. “What are you going to do when I die soon?”

 

“Four more days, huh?” Chanyeol nervously asks. He doesn’t notice the way Baekhyun suddenly stiffens at the question. “I’ll make those four days memorable.”

 

Baekhyun holds him by his cheek and stands on the tip of his toes to kiss him. “Why not today?”

 

I’ll love you today and I’ll love you tomorrow—I’ll love you forever.

 

He brings Baekhyun back to his ward and Chanyeol sits by his bed, softening when Baekhyun starts to feel tired. “Goodluck for your games tomorrow, Chanyeol.”

 

“Thank you, baby,” Chanyeol smiles. “I’ll win it for you.”

 

Baekhyun laughs and Chanyeol closes his eyes, trying to remember the voice that has been cheering him up since six days ago. “Alright, boyfriend.”

Before Chanyeol goes home, Baekhyun hugs him by his back and cries. Chanyeol doesn’t know why—but he doesn’t like it when Baekhyun cries. His heart breaks at the sight. “Mine, what’s wrong?”

 

“Remember when I told you that I lied to you twice?” Baekhyun asks, voice muffled by Chanyeol’s clothes. Chanyeol turns around and carries Baekhyun back to his bed. “Yes?”

 

“The first lie is that when I told you that it’s not possible to fall in love within ten days,” Baekhyun smiles, eyes crinkling and he looks so beautiful, Chanyeol does not want this moment to end. “I fell in love with you the moment you called me yours.”

 

“What’s the second lie?”

 

“Win the games for me and I’ll tell you.”

 

“Promise?”

 

Baekhyun hugs him one last time before letting go. “I promise.”

 

 

Day 7.

 

Chanyeol does not feel nervous when the game is about to start. He feels confident and all he thinks is that he wants to win this—to win it for Baekhyun. He had it all planned loud. He’s going to win the games, walk home with a trophy and tell Baekhyun how much he loves him and how he’d cherish those last three days with Baekhyun dearly.

 

He looks over at Jongin who’s full of seriousness when he runs over to the field and Chanyeol exhales once the game starts.

 

 

“Can’t believe we won, huh?”

 

Chanyeol smiles in triumph, satisfied. “I can believe it. I knew we were going to win, anyways.”

 

“Confidence,” Kris scoffs playfully and they shout in victory as the cheerleaders scream and the crowd roars and all Chanyeol could think of is Baekhyun. He has won the games and he would know what Baekhyun had lie to him about.

 

“You goin’ to the after party, man?” Jongin pats his shoulder and Chanyeol is not shocked to see the new girlfriend in Jongin’s arms. Perhaps what Baekhyun said was true. Jongin is in love with Kyungsoo—but he was too afraid to admit it. Chanyeol shakes his head. “Nah, I have to see Baekhyun.”

 

“Baekhyun is the only thing you talk about,” Sehun says. “Are you in love with him or something?”

 

“Yes,” Chanyeol easily says and Sehun’s eyes widen. “I lost the bet, Sehun. You won. I fell in love with Baekhyun at first sight.”

 

“That’s… okay…” Sehun awkwardly laughs. “To celebrate the victory of our team and my bet, you have to come to the after party.”

 

“But—”

 

“No buts! You can see your Baekhyun later, let’s just have some fun first, ‘aite?” Sehun pulls him and offers him a cup of beer.

 

One thing led to another and Chanyeol finds himself surrounded by a crowd of people cheering for him and congratulating him. Sehun is nowhere to be seen, as he had disappeared with Lu Han somewhere. Chanyeol does not want to know. Jongin drowns himself in alcohol as he looks at Kyungsoo who seems happier to be with Junmyeon than when he was in an unrequited love with Jongin. Kris is talking to their coach and getting praised for being the best player.

 

Chanyeol flinches when a hand grabs on to his and he’s surprised to see the captain of the cheerleader team, Haerin, right in front of him. The girl smiles and hands him a drink. “I’m Haerin.”

 

“I’m Chanyeol,” He politely smiles. “It’s nice to meet you.”

 

The girl slurs, drunk perhaps, and throws his arms on Chanyeol’s shoulder before grinding herself against him. “You don’t know how long I have wanted to do this,” The girl moans.

 

“What—stop,” Chanyeol pushes her away and grimaces in disgust. “What the ?”

 

He has enough of everyone, shoving his way out of the party and heading to his car. He thinks of Baekhyun, what he was doing and he figures he should bring some coffee for him. Then, he remembers that Baekhyun does not really like the coffee they serve in his favorite café, so Chanyeol drives to the hospital empty handed.

 

He was not exactly empty handed—he wants to tell Baekhyun that he had won the games and Baekhyun would have to admit to him about his lie. Chanyeol smiles. No matter what Baekhyun lied or said, he would still love him. He loves Baekhyun more than anything and knowing that he only has three days left; it tears his heart apart.

 

He walks to the third floor and greets Doctor Kim on his way to Baekhyun’s ward. The doctor does not acknowledge him as he walks pass Chanyeol and the taller boy shrugs. He thinks of what are his plans to do with Baekhyun tomorrow. Maybe he could bring him out to the park downstairs for a little fresh air. Or maybe he could take him away and kiss the hell out of him. Either way, he would fall deeper in love with Baekhyun. He does not regret it one bit.

 

He pushes the door open, grinning and excited to tell Baekhyun the big news. But his grin falters once he sees Baekhyun’s brother, Baekbeom, crying at the edge of Baekhyun’s bed. His small boyfriend is sleeping so beautifully and calmly, Chanyeol walks slower to him until he notices the heart monitor.

 

“Why isn’t it beeping?” Chanyeol asks, hushed. His hand trembles. His knees feel weak. He couldn’t find it in himself to breathe once he realizes what was happening. “Why isn’t he breathing?!”

 

Chanyeol falls down to the ground, holding onto Baekhyun’s hand and he cries. “No—you can’t—mine, you can’t go just yet!”

 

Baekhyun stays silent and his hand feels icy cold. His lips, those lips that Chanyeol loves so much turned pale. Chanyeol hides his face in his hands, crying. “He can’t…”

 

“Baekhyun, you idiot, you—you promised me you’d tell your lies!” Chanyeol shouts. “You left me with nothing and you expect me to be okay with it?! We had three more days, mine—three more days!”

 

Chanyeol clutches onto his heart and the tears helplessly fall and trace his cheeks. “I won the games for you—I wanted to tell you how much I love you, Baekhyun, I love you so much..”

 

He turns breathless as he sees Baekhyun not breathing, not moving and all Chanyeol could do is cry. The nurses start to take Baekhyun away from him again and he feels depressed. “Don’t go, Baekhyun.. Don’t leave me..”

 

 

Baekhyun curls Chanyeol’s brown hair behind his large ear and he lets his palm rest on Chanyeol’s face. “That’s good, boyfriend. You’re not supposed to fall in love with me.”

 

“Because you’re dying?”

 

Baekhyun nods. “Because I’m dying.”

 

 

“I love you,” Chanyeol whispers, not bothering to wipe his fallen tears as he takes a last look at Baekhyun’s beautiful features. “I love you so much, Byun Baekhyun.”

 

He looks away when they take Baekhyun out and Baekbeom turns to grab an envelope and hands it to him. “Baekhyun wrote this for you.”

 

To Chanyeol,

 

Hey, boyfriend. Here’s the other lie that I told you: It wasn’t 10 days. I only had 7 days to live. I’m sorry. I warned you. Don’t cry, okay?

 

I love you so much, Park Chanyeol.

 

And I’ll repeat this again: I warned you. I told you not to come near me or else we’ll talk and if we talk, we’d become friends. I know you did not regret a thing. Neither have I. And again and again and again, I love you, mine.

 

 


 

10k words in a day. I have no life. Chanyeol loves Baekhyun!