The Boy with the Long, Straight Hair

From Morning 'Til Morning

A/N: This fic is in no way meant to be an accurate portrayal of Korea's legal system; I am just basing it on what little I do know of different judicial systems. Also--there are no shower scenes (so far), but let's assume that ChangNiel get a daily shower and a change of clothes from the police station. That being said, I am having a lot of fun writing this AU (my first!) and I hope that you enjoy the read. Comments are very much welcome! (Please go easy on me...haha).

 

Before the week is over, Jonghyun learns more about Niel, more than he’d ever care to admit to anyone. About how he just started his lifestyle barely a year ago to make ends meet, how he treasures his mother more than anything else in the world, if the way his face brightens at the mention of her is any indication. About his passion for music and singing, the childhood dream he’d had of being a singer and how he’d had no choice to give up on it. He doesn’t ask for any of it, really, but time goes by far more quickly once their conversations start. Perhaps they are both just starved for entertainment. 

 

Niel proves to be a good listener. Jonghyun never spoke much at meetings, fully aware that his social skills left something to be desired. He also tended to avoid the limelight if he could help it, resulting in very few people outside the group knowing Changjo’s face. He deftly avoids sensitive topics and instead talks to Jonghyun about ordinary things like his favorite music, how old he is. He remembers how surprised Niel’s expression was at learning he was older by a year, his insistence at being called ‘hyung’ and being treated as a senior and not as an equal.

 

“Aren’t you scared?” The question comes in the middle of the night. He’s not even sure if Niel is awake. “I killed that guy right in front of you. You not scared I’d do the same to you?”

“Nope,” Niel answers sleepily, “because I understand it now.”

 

“Understand what?” How does he understand Jonghyun’s motives even better than himself?

 

“You weren’t planning to kill him at all. You killed him because of me.” A light chuckle. “Or should I say, you killed him for me.” Niel shifts on the bed so that they’re facing each other, noses nearly touching. Jonghyun’s gaze involuntarily drops to his lips. “And this might sound sick and twisted even to a guy like you, but that’s the first time I met someone who would go that far… just for little old me.” His mouth lifts into a self-deprecating smirk. “My personal attack dog.” He ruffles Jonghyun’s hair affectionately. The sensation is foreign to him, but not unwelcome. He knows he should be more offended at being likened to a dog, but Niel doesn’t sound like he’s mocking him, so he sees no reason to get riled up. He just nips at an earlobe playfully, earning a surprised squeak and a slap on the shoulder.

 

After that night, it becomes a habit to fall asleep with their bodies intertwined, seeking comfort in each other’s warmth. Jonghyun has never experienced this kind of physical intimacy before, of being granted the privilege to invade someone else’s personal space any time and any way he chooses to do so. It’s an exhilarating feeling, to be able to slide down on the floor next to Niel and simply use his lap as a pillow without needing to justify himself. Sometimes he’ll toy with strands of Niel’s hair for lack of anything else to do; the ’s hair runs a little past his chin, straight and dyed a brown so dark it’s almost black.

 

On their fifth day, he requests permission for his one phone call, and Niel chimes in that he’d like the same. The warden gives them the evil eye (apparently news of their homoual behaviour has spread far and wide already) but grudgingly agrees to let them out one at a time. The two of them exchange looks, but Niel makes a shooing motion with one hand, so he goes first.

 

His best friend and right hand man, Ricky, picks up the phone after two rings. “Hello?” He sounds nervous, like he’s expecting bad news. He probably is, since Jonghyun hasn’t contacted him after the incident. Knowing him, he’s been worried sick and his eyes are red-rimmed from lack of sleep. 

 

“Ricky, it’s me.” There is a screech of relief on the other side. He can hear Ricky chanting “It’s Changjo, Changjo’s on the phone, he’s safe!”

 

He smiles wryly. “Not exactly.” His friend stops screaming long enough to utter a bewildered ‘Huh?’ “I kinda messed up with the target… I’m being detained at the police station and due for a transfer in two days.”

 

“You what?!?” He pulls away from the receiver, cringing at Ricky’s volume. “That doesn’t sound like you!” He sighs, but doesn’t refute the claim. A few days ago he wouldn’t have believed it if someone had told him he would screw up a retrieval mission, either.

 

“Anyway, I’m proceeding with the retrieval. Tell the boss not to worry.” Before he can get a reply, the warden takes the receiver away from him.

 

“Time’s up, kid.” Nodding, he heads back in the direction of the cell. As long as he completes the mission, getting himself out of prison will be a piece of cake with the group’s connections. His mind drifts absentmindedly to Niel. 

 

His companion is sitting on the bed with an anxious expression. “Did you get to talk to your friend?” He grunts his confirmation and takes a seat next to him, leaning his head against the other man’s shoulder. Have he and Niel really only known each other for five days? “Jonghyun,” Niel chides him teasingly, “You’re heavy. I have to make a phone call too, remember?”

 

“Don’t want to,” he retorts, but only half-heartedly. In the end, he watches Niel follow the warden out of the cell, an unfamiliar tightness in his chest. Two days left until they’re thrown into the city prison. 

 

Two days left before Jonghyun has to revert back to being Changjo.