Three: The Boy

The Boy in the Garden
THREE
— THE BOY —

 

Jinyoung is sitting on the couch, staring blankly at his feet, rubbing his hands anxiously on his knees. He can hear Gongchan walking into the room, towards the kitchen, probably to get something to eat as he didn't get the chance to earlier. He clears his throat, and adjusts his position on the couch, reciting in his mind what Shinwoo had told him earlier.

"Give him some space, Jinyoung. Arguing won't solve anything. I'm sure he'll come around. But seriously, maybe you should consider not giving him something to be angry about? I mean, I'm not saying to not talk to anyone, but maybe... ah, I don't know. Just don't worry too much, ok?"

Let him cool off, his foot. And how can he stop making Gongchan angry if he doesn't even know why he's angry in the first place?

Jinyoung audibly sighs. Shinwoo's advice was confusing, and rather vague, but Jinyoung only knew one thing. He just hated when Gongchan was mad at him like this, actively ignoring him and pushing him away. Sure, friends fight every now and then, but usually he'd be more at ease if he were angry with Shinwoo or Sunwoo. But Gongchan was different.

Jinyoung stands up, and turns to look at the younger who's now sitting at the kitchen counter while the microwave heats up the plate he had left earlier in the fridge. Gongchan looks different than his usual childish self as he looks out the kitchen window. He looks more mature somehow, and only now does Jinyoung realize how much the younger has grown. A year ago he would've teased the other for being cute, like a child type of cute, but now he's, dare he say it... handsome? Ew, no, Jinyoung shakes his head, he's like a brother, what the heck is wrong with you?

But there's something irresistable in the way the younger is just sitting there quietly, and Jinyoung can't help but walk towards him, ready to break the silence.

"Chan, I—" Jinyoung starts, but suddenly the door slams open.

"He's gone!" Shinwoo yells frantically, his clothes are covered in mud and his hair soaking wet.

Jinyoung and Gongchan both turn to face him, and Gongchan is slightly taken aback when he sees how close the older is.

"What?" Jinyoung asks, confused. Shinwoo just stares at him wide-eyed, panting, his face pale as if he's just seen a ghost.

"Shinwoo, are you okay?" Gongchan asks, voice quiet and hoarse.

Shinwoo stands at the door, his face pale as if he'd seen a ghost. 

"Sunwoo," Shinwoo drops to the floor, shaking.  "Sunwoo. I can't find Sunwoo."

 

 

When he looks up, his breath hitches, and his heart seems to stop just momentarily. In front of him is a boy with light brown hair, and porcelain skin, shining underneath the light of the sun. His lips are tinted pink, and his eyes are crystal clear blue. He looks like a doll, dressed in a long white robe, and hair that curls down at his nape. Sunwoo swears it's the most beautiful thing he's seen.

His hands unconciously tighten their grip on the petals below him as he continues to watch the figure in front of him in awe, without even taking a moment to blink. The boy doesn't dare to look at him, instead he remains seated, fidgeting with his fingers and biting his lip.

They stay quiet, only the sound of birds singing echoing in the distance. Sunwoo opens his mouth to speak, but no words come out. His mouth feels dry to the point that he can feel his tongue sticking to the roof, and his mind feels to hazey to even formulate a proper sentence. So instead, he takes a moment to sit back, attempt to think and distinguish between reality and a dream. Surprisingly, it doesn't take long to figure out which one it is.

"Ouch!" He hisses when he feels a sudden pain in the palm of his hand. He brings it up in front of his face, slightly squinting to inspection it. There's a small thorn stuck in the center of his hand, and judging from his flowered surroundings, it's from a rose. He blows at it gently, trying to cool down the burn, but it's no use.

"You're hurt!" The other, ethereal being gasps, rushing towards him. His elegant, white robe, swirls around, the white silk of it flowing behind him. He plops down in front of Sunwoo and takes his hand. There's worry written all over his face, and suddenly he looks at him in the eye.

"This is going to hurt a bit," he says slowly, but Sunwoo can barely hear him as he's too distracted with the other's plump, cherry lips coming awfully close to his finger. The only thing that snaps him out of his trance is a tug in his skin, and then a slight wetness right after. "It's gone now," the other smiles, and Sunwoo stares at him.

A lot of questions are going on in his mind, but he can't seem to pay attention to any of them as he's only focused on the other's bright smile. Sunwoo has never seen anyone like him. Someone who takes his breath, renders him speechless. And there's just something about the other that is so captivating, so utterly beautiful.

"Where," he pauses, taking in the world around him, "am I?" He pulls back his hand, and sits back. "And who are you?"

The boy stares at him blankly with his head tilted, resembling a puppy's curious stare. He purses his lips and slightly leans forward. "Who are you?" He says back.

Clear blue eyes stare back at him, and Sunwoo can't help but to become lost in them; it's as if he's being hypnotized. He can feel the tip of his ears becoming warm, turning slightly red, and he nervously looks away.

"My name is..." Sunwoo pauses and scrunches his brows, "my name is..." he stares at the ground in shock.

He can feel his breath becoming erratic, his heart pounding against his chest.

"My name?" He closes his eyes.

His hands move across the ground, clenching onto the red petals, kneading them between his fingers.

All of a sudden, warm hands are cupping his face, tilting it upwards.

When he opens his eyes, he's met with the softest gaze he's ever seen, leaning in, closer and closer.

Sunwoo's breath hitches.

"Sunwoo," the boy whispers into his ear. "Your name is Sunwoo."

The warmth of his hands, the softness of his voice, it all begins to make him drowsy.

He leans into the other's soft touch, and closes his eyes once more, until he becomes embraced by warmth, slowly losing all conciousness.

 

 

"I thought you went with him!" Gongchan yells, at Shinwoo, voice cracking, running to hastily put on his boots and jacket.

"I was but..." Shinwoo glances at Jinyoung nervously. The latter other looks at him with pleading eyes. Shinwoo his lips, "I had to do a few things, and let him go first. But I went straight after him, I swear!"

"I thought we agreed on not going alone." Gongchan grits his teeth, clenches his fist. "And seriously? Sunwoo of all people?"

"Chan, it's not his fault," Jinyoung cuts in, walking closer to the younger. He reaches for Gongchan's arm, to stop him from doing anything irrational.

"Don't call me that, and don't ing touch me," Gongchan spats out, pushing Jinyoung's hand away and glaring at his sudden close proximity. "What would you know anyway?"

Jinyoung is red faced after being rejected by Gongchan.

"Well, Shinwoo was," he starts, rubs his neck nervously, then looks away. "He was talking to me... before."

"Jinyoung, don't—" Shinwoo starts, not wanting for Jinyoung to take the blame.

"So it's your fault?" Gongchan says; despite his angry demeanor there's a slight tremble in his voice. His eyes become slightly glossy. It's something Jinyoung has become oddly familiar to. "Of course it is," he mutters, clenching his jaw.

"I'm sorry," Jinyoung says, looking straight at the younger's eyes. He means it, for everything. 

Gonchan's eyes momentarily soften and the familiar twinkle resurfaces, but then he snaps out of it, and he gives Jinyoung a could shoulder.

Jinyoung gulps, suddenly feeling his throat becoming heavy and dry, "I just wanted—"

"Save it," Gongchan says as he opens the door. "Let's find Sunwoo first."

 

 

The rain is pouring down heavier than before, and the trail into the mountains is slippery due to the quickly forming mud. Their boots are soaked and muddied, and despite their rain coats their hair is drenched and sticking to their foreheads.

Gongchan walks at the front of the line, and is breath is loud and heavy. His feet are starting to become stuck in the mud, making it even more difficult to take another step. It is clear that the weather conditions are worsening but he refuses to turn back. Jinyoung is right behind him, making sure that nothing happens to him whilst checking their surroundings every now and then.

"Sunwoo," Shinwoo yells, but the sound of the storm covers up his efforts. There's no way Sunwoo can hear him no matter how close he is. "It's no use," he says loudly.

Jinyoung looks back at him, worry clearly written on his face.

Gonchan, on the other hand, is still moving forward.

"We have to go back," Jinyoung yells at Gongchan, but the other isn't listening.

Gongchan is fighting against the muddy current, which is sliding down in heavy layers of goop. It's getting more and more difficult to walk but he refuses to stop. He has to find Sunwoo. He just has to.

"Chan, we have to go," Jinyoung yells again.

There's a sudden rise in the current, which hits Gonchan at his knees, knocking him off balance. He falls onto his back, and Jinyoung immediately rushes towards him, taking him into his arms. They're both covered in mud from head to toe, and Gongchan is shivering against him, wet hair stuck to his forehead.

"We have to find Sunwoo," Gongchan manages to say through trembling lips as rain pours down his face. His eyes flutter, struggling to stay open. His face is pale and his nose is bright red from the cold.

"Chan," Jinyoung shakes him by the shoulders, "Stay with me," he desperately pleads.

Gongchan's body goes limp, and Jinyoung is yelling at Shinwoo to help him.

 

 

The sound of birds chirping and sunlight hitting his eyes is what wakes Sunwoo up. He rubs his eyes, unable to process where he is. The last thing he remembers is falling, and then—

"Oh, you're up," a bright, slightly familiar voice says. "Good, I was starting to worry."

Sunwoo sits up to see the same clear blue eyes he had seen before, staring straight at him, only inches apart. He jolts back with a blush forming on his face.

"What're you doing," he says. His heart is racing.

There's something about the brunet that makes him feel something he can't quite explain. Feelings he's never felt before.

"I'm sorry I startled you," the boy says, looking down. "It's been a while since I've seen a human."

'A human?' what an odd way to put it.

"No kidding," Sunwoo mutters. He feels slightly guilty for his reaction though, after seeing the boy's apologetic face. "I mean, it's fine. It was... unexpected, that's all."

It's silent for a while after that. None of them really now what to say. Sunwoo is confused about the entire ordeal, and he's still trying to process everything that has happened. For a moment he even thinks 'am I dead?' But the small wound on the palm of his hand and the beating of his heart is enough to prove him other wise. He's alive, just not where he thought he'd be.

"What's your name?" Sunwoo asks, startling the boy.

At first the boy just stares at him, as if he's contemplating how to reply. It's a little strange, considering he just asked what his name is, not how much 1992 multiplied by 1994 is.

"They call me Sandeul," the boy says. "But you can call me Junghwan."

"Who calls you Sandeul?" Sunwoo asks.

Junghwan smiles, brings his finger to his lips, and says "it's a secret."

"Junghwan," Sunwoo whispers. For some reason, he feels like he's said it before, but he can't think of anyone with that name, at least not at the moment.

"Do you like it?" Junghwan asks expectantly.

Just like everything else he's said, this question is also strange. Sunwoo feels the need to agree.

"It's nice," Sunwoo says.

Junghwan smiles with a blush forming on his pale cheeks.

"Oh, right, I almost forgot," Junghwan says, and reaches for something from between his robes. He takes out a rose petal and hands it to him. "This is yours."

"Mine?"

"Yes, yours, Sunwoo," Jungwhan says.

Sunwoo stares at him, surprised.

"How do you know my name?"

"You told it to me," Junghwan says, laughing. "Don't tell me you forgot."

"No, I didn't," Sunwoo says, completely serious. He knows he'd remember if he told a total stranger his name.

What happened earlier suddenly pops in his mind. "You knew my name before. How?"

Junghwan rubs his arm nervously. "I don't know. I just—"

"You just what?"

Junghwan jumps back slightly, startled. Stares at Sunwoo with guilt in his eyes.

"I just knew," Junghwan whispers, then bites his lip.

He looks so vulnerable, Sunwoo thinks. Like a deer, with nothing but innocence in his eyes. He couldn't possibly say anything after that. It was obvious that Junghwan had no ill intentions.

Suddenly, the boy stands up, clutching onto his robes, and makes his way accross the garden.

Sunwoo takes the chance to look around, and his mouth opens in awe. There are petals on the ground, and lucious red roses growing around the entire place. There's a great old tree growing in the middle, whose branches extend and capture the rays of sunlight that flood in frome above. It's a beautiful sight, but a terrible feeling begins to grow in his chest.

That's when he notices.

Thick, golden rods surround the entire garden, and judging by their consistency, there's no entrance or exit in sight. The tree's limbs curl around them, as if begging to be set free, just as the rose bushes do. They're all trapped inside. The walls of the cage are covered in vines and rose bushes that grow taller than a person could ever be. Above, there's nothing but a blue sky.

"Where are we?" Sunwoo asks, but Jungwhan doesn't hear him—or pretended not to.

A wave of anger takes over him; something greatly unfamiliar to him.

"I asked you a question," Sunwoo says loudly, as he gets up and makes his way towards Junghwan. "Answer me."

Evil thoughts invade his mind, ones he's never had before: 'Just wait until I get my hands on you.'

Junghwan is busy smelling the beautiful red roses as Sunwoo treads towards him with clenched fists. However, even with his sudden rage, Sunwoo can't bring himself to even touch a hair of the boy's head. Instead, he almost completely melts right there and then at the sight of Junghwan's angelic aura. At the way his white robes fall against his shoulders, and his hair curls at the back of his neck.

He somehow radiates serenity.

Big blue eyes turn to look at him, and Sunwoo falls back. He feels immense guilt in his chest, and he can't hold Junghwan's gaze.

"It's not uncommon," Junghwan says, slowly, "for humans to feel anger and frustration. Especially here."

Sunwoo looks up again, and sees Junghwan's soft smile.

"I'm sorry I can't help you with your questions," he says. "But if it's of any help, I don't know exactly where I am either."

 

 

Sunwoo quickly realizes that Junghwan is not lying, as he spends a good couple of hours watching Junghwan stroll around the garden, touching every petal, smelling every rose, and tending to each plant. It's obvious that this is a routine, not an abrupt cover up to fool him into something weird.  It's clear that Junghwan has no ill intentions.

There really is no exit or entrance, Sunwoo confirms. He's spent hours searching for both by pushing and pulling every golden rod, looking underneath every bush, even attempting to climb to the top of the tree. But it's no use. There's absolutely no way in or out of this cage. Junghwan doesn't say anything about his search, instead he pretends to not notice, but he clearly fails as it took Sunwoo little to no time to see Junghwan stealing glances at him. After all, he's never felt a stronger stare than Junghwan's. It quickly becomes a bit of an unofficial game of sorts; Junghwan being the cheeky boy he is, covers his smiling blush with a sleeve of his robe. Sunwoo is in awe everytime, and can't help but bite back a smile and shake his head.

It's odd, really. This isn't anything like him.

After searching to no avail, Sunwoo passes out on the petal covered grass, and shields the sunlight with his arm. He's tired and thirsty, and wants nothing other than to go back home.

"Here," Junghwan suddenly says. Sunwoo peeks at him. He's sitting beside him, cupping a water filled leaf in his hand. "You must be thirsty."

Sunwoo reaches for the leaf, but Junghwan pulls it back, shaking his head.

"Like this," he sees, bringing his plump lips toward the leaf, and taking a sip of water.

Sunwoo does as he's told. He takes Junghwan's hands into his own and brings the leaf to his lips, before drinking down all the water.

Junghwan hums in agreement once he's done, and sets the empty leaf aside. Then he tucks his light brown hair behind his ear. "You must be hungry too."

 

 

Junghwan prepares a sort of feast for him as the sun begins to set. There's all kinds of fruit spread out on giant leaves; everything from apples to strawberries. It makes Sunwoo's mouth water.

"Have your pick," Junghwan says. Sunwoo takes no time to do so.

They eat and talk about something but Sunwoo doesn't even recall what at the end of their meal. All he knows is that Junghwan is wonderful and he has the most beautiful smile Sunwoo's ever seen. He doesn't even realize how close they are sitting next to each other.

He's mesmerized by the other, doesn't even notice when they begin to quiet down.

It's as if time has come to a stop.

They stare into each other's eyes.

Sunwoo's heart flutters.

It's strange, really, how suddenly looking straight into someone else's eyes brings Sunwoo peace. Even though his heart is racing and he feels like there are butterflies in his stomach, he doesn't feel small, claustrophobic, like the world is caving in on him. His usual anxious self would never feel this way with a stranger, but with Junghwan it's different. It's almost as if he isn't a stranger.

Sunwoo doesn't know why but he leans in, slowly, watching how Junghwan blinks at him with his blue eyes. How he hesitantly leans in, but then stays still with a blush forming on his cheeks, and he closes his eyes. Sunwoo looks down at the other's pink lips, before finally, capturing them with his own, and closing his eyes shut.

It's only for a moment. As long as it takes for Junghwan to reciprocate the kiss. But it's sweet and tender, and Sunwoo feels himself letting go, only for Junghwan to hold him closer, holding onto Sunwoo's face, intertwining his fingers with the blonds hair. And Sunwoo holds onto the other's waist, bringing him closer.

Sunwoo feels like he's drowning, and he for some reason he can't help but mutter 'I love you,' in between breaths.

But suddenly Junghwan pushes him away, and Sunwoo is startled.

Junghwan looks like a deer in headlights, and Sunwoo can't understand what he did wrong, but then he notices.

The once blue sky is now a dark gray and covered in clouds.

"Junghwan, what is—"

"It's time," Junghwan says quietly. He looks at Sunwoo, teary-eyed.

"What do you mean?" Sunwoo asks, confused.

Lightning begins to strike, and Junghwan can't help but flinch.

"You can't stay here any longer," Junghwan shouts over the storm. "You have to go back."

"But what about you?" Sunwoo cries, he tries to go over to Junghwan, but the other shakes his head. "I can't leave you."

"This was always my fate, Sunwoo," Junghwan says with a bitter smile. "Now, go."

Then Junghwan stretches out his hand and pushes Sunwoo back by another force.

Sunwoo falls back, and suddenly the earth starts to crumble around him.

He's sinking, he realizes. Falling, to be more exact.

Sunwoo stares at Junghwan's fading figure as he falls deeper into the abyss.

A lone tear streams down his cheek.

And time stills once more, as their gazes interlock.

"Thank you for meeting me," he hears Junghwan say in his mind.

Junghwan's eyes are no longer blue.

Sunwoo continues to fall and Junghwan's figure starts to fade.

Then his chest tightens.

He struggles to breathe.

His heart aches, and his mind is a mess.

He's overwhelmed by emotions, and feels like he's going to burst.

But then a red rose petal falls onto his cheek, and he starts to feels empty inside.

He closes his eyes.

Tear drops hit his face from above.

"Goodbye"

 

 

Gongchan is a shivering mess by the time they arrive at cabin. They sit him down on the living room couch, and Jinyoung is frantically rushing to find a fresh change of clothes, while Shinwoo cranks the heat up.

"Help me," Jinyoung says to Shinwoo, as he starts to Gongchan's jacket, while the other works on his boots.

Then pulls off the boy's sweater, and starts to his jeans when Gongchan grabs him by the wrist.

Jinyoung worriedly looks at Gongchan, who is struggling to stay awake and can't even look at him in the eyes. The younger looks like he wants to say something, but then his grip turns weak and he wheezes.

"I'll do it," Shinwoo says, pushing Jinyoung aside, "go get some blankets and a towel, and heat up some water."

When Jinyoung comes back, Gongchan is lying on the couch fully clothed again, and not shivering nearly as much as he was. He sets a couple of more blankets on top of him and tucks him in, before proceeding to dry his hair with the towel.

While his movements were at first desperate, the longer he stayed crouched beside Gongchan, the more he took his time.

Shinwoo takes that as his cue to leave, and retreats to the kitchen where the water is yet to come to a boil.

Jinyoung brushes Gongchan's hair away from his forehead and starts to pat his face dry. The younger starts to squirm.

"Quit moving," Jinyoung says, and holds Gongchan's face in place with both of his hands.

Gongchan looks at him through hooded eyes, and although his face is still pale and cold, from the way he looks away, Jinyoung realizes he's embarassed. Jinyoung feels it to, and he ends up sitting back on his legs and looking downwards.

"Don't scare me like that ever again," Jinyoung mutters

Gongchan makes a sound which Jinyoung interprets as "don't tell me what to do, idiot."

Shinwoo comes back later with a cup of tea, and he helps the younger drink it. Jinyoung just stares. And when he's no longer shivering, and the warmth seems to be returning to his body, Gongchan falls asleep.

"I'm going back out," Jinyoung says.

Shinwoo stands up and looks at him like he's crazy.

"I'll go with you," he says, but Jinyoung looks over to Gongchan who is still fast asleep. "Right," then he sits back down on the couch.

"It's fine, I'll go alone," Jinyoung says while grabbing his coat and boots. "Besides, Chan would kill me if something happened to him."

"Sure," Shinwoo says, "it's not because Sunwoo's your friend or anything, right?"

They laugh, but it's only to cover up the gloomy atmosphere that has taken over the room.

"Take care of Chan for me, ok?"

Shinwoo nods, and watches as Jinyoung walks out the door.

 

 

The storm has died down significantly, but the sludges of mud remain and Jinyoung is still struggling to tread up the mountain. He's been out here for almost an hour, with no results. He's worried about Gongchan's condition, but also about Sunwoo's whereabouts.

"Sunwoo!" he calls out, voice hoarse from constantly yelling. "Sunwoo!"

There's no response, and Jinyoung breaks down into tears.

This stupid trip was his idea to begin with and now Gongchan's sick and Sunwoo is missing and he can't do anything about it.

He yells into space out of frustration.

No wonder Gongchan gets angry at him.

He's stupid.

Immature, even more so than the younger.

And he's so ing useless.

Jinyoung tries to kick a rock, but instead he loses his balance and slips off the path, down a slide of mud.

He tries to stop sliding, but he can't. It's too slippery and there's nothing strong to hold onto.

So he gives up, covers his face with his arms, closes his eyes, and braces for impact.

He crashes into a log and ends up flying a few feet away. Luckily, he doesn't seem to have any external injuries other than a couple of scratches. He props himself up with his arms and looks around.

Then he sees him.

"Sunwoo," he says, crawling towards the blond who's almost completely covered in mud. "Wake up, Sunwoo. I'm here. It's me, Jinyoung."

Sunwoo opens his eyes, and his gaze is more concious than ever. The blond pushes himself up, and Jinyoung stares at him in awe.

"What happened?" Sunwoo asks, staring wide-eyed at Jinyoung.

"I could ask you the same thing."

 

 

The door suddenly opens to reveal a pair of muddied figures, and Shinwoo gasps.

"Sunwoo, where the hell were you?" Shinwoo exclaims, rushing towards him.

Sunwoo says nothing, instead just stands there, motionless, as if he was frozen in place.

"Jinyoung, what's going on?" He asks instead.

Jinyoung kicks off his boots and drops his jacket onto the floor. "I don't know," he says, simply. "He's been like this ever since I found him."

Shinwoo helps sunwoo take off his jacket and boots, and for the entirety of the time, he's limp like a doll.

"You're okay, though, right?" Shinwoo asks Sunwoo, but Sunwoo doesn't say anything.

"Physically, he's doing a lot better than me, but he's way out of it" Jinyoung says, he makes his way towards the living room, but suddenly stops and turns towards Shinwoo. "Where's Chan?"

"He woke up like half an hour ago, but I sent him to bed. Took me forever though," Shinwoo smiles, "he wanted to go find you."

"," Jinyoung rushes towards his room, and everything goes quiet once again.

Shinwoo guides Sunwoo to the couch and urges him to take a seat.

They sit in silence for a couple of minutes, and Shinwoo has to bite his tongue to not lash out at the other. It isn't until Shinwoo offers to get him some tea, that Sunwoo finally speaks up.

"I want to go home," Sunwoo says quietly.

Shinwoo says nothing, but boy does he agree.

 

 

I'mma say nothing cuz it's been years and I am not even finished writing this thing ;A; this isn't the end obviously because I still have to write the epilogue but I have it all planned out so maybe that'll be out in 2024 lol jk but maybe O_O I haven't been able to get closure for this story so I will finish it eventually, hopefully now that I'm inspired. And then perhaps I'll write something new. Anyway, if anyone is still reading this, i hope you enjoyed it until now! let me know in the comments what you thought about this maybe? idk thanks for reading though, until next time!
ps. yes it's unedited srry