First Time Meeting You

A Trip Down Memory Lane

"Do you remember...when we met for the first time?"

Seunghyun stared at his friend. He blinked before nodding. "That's a really long time ago."

"Over ten years." Daesung tore his gaze away from the floor to look at the person next to him.

"Wow. It was quite crazy too."

The younger man laughed. "Yeah."

"We're old."

"Let's just say ten years so we don't feel so old. Let's leave out the 'over'."

"Haha, okay."

"Thanks."

"You were there before me." Seunghyun leaned heavily against the wall behind him, and he tilted his head to stare the ceiling above him. "It was my first day of being a trainee. YG just accepted me."

Daesung followed his eyes and looked up at the ceiling too. He smiled. "It's like the ceiling disappeared and all I see is the sky."

"The sky from ten years ago?" Seunghyun asked, curious.

"Yes."

"Hm. Funny. I was thinking the same thing too."

"We really are one, right?"

Seunghyun suddenly pulled Daesung into a tight, one-arm hug.

"Ow."

"We're inseparable," Seunghyun said, with the younger's face pressed against his shoulder. "You said it yourself."

Daesung's reply came muffled. "Maybe I shouldn't have said that."

"Don't be breaking my heart now."

"Hmph."

Seunghyun released Daesung from the bear hug but still gripped onto the younger's shoulder. Together, they turned to look back at the ceiling.

"Blue skies," Seunghyun said, using his free hand to do a waving motion above their heads. "With whisps of cloud." He closed his eyes. "We're rewinding time to ten years ago."

Daesung also closed  his eyes. "It was a really hot day. People bustling here and there on the streets. The YG Building stands tall and proud on one side of the street."

Seunghyun smiled. "I was walking towards that building. My heart was pounding because it was my first day as an official trainee."

"I was already inside the building." Daesung remembered his old self from ten years ago. "I was lugging a gallon of water over my shoulder..."

And then they opened their eyes.

It was just their imagination, but it was as if the practice room was gone, replaced by busy streets and a glaring sun above their heads. Daesung turned to look at Seunghyun, and Seunghyun turned to look at him.

In their little world, they were sitting on the sidewalk. Their surroundings must have changed, but they themselves haven't. They were both wearing the same clothes--- Daesung in his pyjamas, Seunghyun in his casual clothes. It was as if their minds were connected into one: they saw the same things, heard the same things. They fed each other details, constructing the memories with their imaginations.

"I see the streets, hyung," Daesung said.

Seunghyun smiled. "Me too."

"I can feel the sun on my back."

"Me too."

"There's the YG Building, hyung."

"Yes, there it is."

"And there's you."

"....There I am."

In front of them, a young man--- or perhaps a teenage boy--- was walking down the streets. He had on a hat, hip-hop style, and baggy clothes. His long bangs got in his eyes. He obviously looked nervous, because he kept staring at the building in front of him and then fiddling with his hands.

It was Choi Seunghyun from over ten years ago.

"It's like we're using the pensive from Harry Potter," Daesung said with giggle.

"Yeah." Seunghyun remembered watching films together with Daesung. One of their favorites was Whiplash. He was absorbed in the acting while Daesung was absorbed in the drumming skills that the main character had, but all in all they were both absorbed into the story. It was a blast. 

He recalled the magical contraption from Harry Potter, and indeed it did feel like they were using the pensive. In their little imagination-constructed memory, they were simply onlookers of the events happening. They would not take part, they would just simply watch.

"My clothes were so baggy," Seunghyun said, observing the Seunghyun from ten years ago. "I was wearing my old clothes because I didn't buy any new ones that fit my body yet. I lost a lot of weight to get into YG."

"It's a good thing YG is hip-hop style," Daesung said.

Seunghyun nodded. "I fit right in with those clothes."

Daesung laughed. "How'd you feel the you walked through those doors?"

A short silence followed before the older man answered.

"Nerve wracking. It calmed me when knowing that Jiyong was inside waiting for me. But still. I could barely stop myself from shaking. And then when I finally entered the building..."

Their imagination went hazy as they recalled their first meeting. The location transformed from the streets of the YG Building to the interior. They were now inside.

Seunghyun and Daesung were sitting on the floor.

"The me from ten years ago was carrying a gallon of water," Daesung said. "I was going to take it back to the practice room."

"The me from ten years ago finally made it through the entrance doors. I was looking for YG's office." Seunghyun chuckled. "And that was when I bumped into you."

And then they saw themselves. Their memory counterparts bumped into each other. The Daesung carrying the gallon immediately apoloized, bowing more times than was needed. He was wearing a tanktop and his hair was cut short.

The Seunghyun in the hip-hop hat and baggy clothes said that it was okay. Then he asked where YG's office was, and got an immediate answer from the other boy. After saying his thanks, the two parted to carry on their own duties.

"You were and are so cute, Daesungie," the present Seunghyun said.

The present Daesung blushed as he saw his old self walking off with gallon over shoulder. "You wondered if I was the manager."

Seunghyun chuckled. "You gave off some manager vibe."

"Yeah right. You also assumed that I must be a good singer."

"You also gave off some good singer vibe."

"Just say that I didn't look like somebody who belonged in a boy band."

"Oh, Daesungie." Seunghyun reached over and ruffled Daesung's hair. "It was just a first impression. But then I got to know you. Not only are you a good singer, but you're also super charming and very y."

"Hyung, I can't tell if you're complimenting me or just kidding."

"You should know me well enough to know when I'm kidding and being serious."

Daesung smiled. "Yeah, I know. thanks."

They stayed like that for a while.

"How did it feel to meet YG when he accepted you as a trainee?"

"I was freaking out," Seunghyun admitted. "I heard that he was a really serious guy. Plus, he rejected me before because of my weight. It both hurt and put me on edge. But there I was, meeting him face to face."

"YG is quite a scary guy."

"Until you work under his agency for years and get to know him."

Daesung laughed. "Yeah."

"He's actually a huge softie."

"And he's funny."

"Funny or fun to make fun of?"

"Both."

Now it was Seunghyun's turn to laugh. Then he turned serious. "Stepping into the YG Building was the start of my new family." He smiled. "I got so many brothers and sisters in YG."

Then he turned to look at Daesung. With a devilish grin, he said, "But you'll be my boyfriend, right?"

"Hyung, you just ruined the moment." 

"Hahaha, I'm sorry."

"Let's fast forward a bit."

"All right."

They closed their eyes and imagined hard. Opening their eyes, the location changed. They were now in the practice room, and the Big Bang members were in front of the mirror, going through their dance routines. Seungri was nowhere in sight, not having joined YG yet.

"I'm glad we barely do any dance in our performances," Seunghyun commented. "Back then, it was dancing throughout the entire song. I hated it."

Daesung laughed. "You always had trouble with dancing. But now we do free-style performances on stage, with just a tiny bit of dancing. It's more fun this way because I can express myself more."

"And I can chase you across stage."

"Haha, yes."

Seunghyun looked around the room, letting himself be absorbed into the memory.

"You all were practicing. I just finished talking to YG and he told me to meet you guys." Seunghyun stared at the door where his younger self would soon enter. "My heart was pounding so hard against my chest."

Daesung nodded, also staring at the same door. He stayed silent as Seunghyun continued.

"I never knew how close I could really get to people until I met you guys. Me and Jiyong were great friends as kids, but we grew apart when he moved away. I never got to know the Youngbae that Jiyong talked about so much. Walking through that door was also walking into a deep friendship, into a room that was going to be filled with so many memories. A room where we would laugh and cry together."

Seunghyun stared fondly at the door. "It was so hard to debute. Hyunseung couldn't join us in our journey. But he started his own. And he's doing great."

Daesung smiled, remembering the ex-trainee of YG that was cut from Big Bang during the days of their training.

"But once we start the journey, all unexpected things happen." Seunghyun coughed. "Like this moment."

Daesung saw the door opening. The predebut Big Bang members turned to see the newcomer.

The Seunghyun from ten years ago entered. His eyes roamed the room. He saw Jiyong, and his face was filled with relief and comfort of seeing his childhood friend. Then he saw each of the boys one by one, and finally Daesung, who was sweating and panting due to the hard practicing.

The present-day Daesung burst out laughing. He saw his younger self lock eyes with the younger self of Seunghyun. "Your face was so hilarious."

Present-day Seunghyun blushed. "Oh shut up."

"At that moment you realized that I was a trainee. That caught you off guard."

"It surprised me. I couldn't even hide that surprise."

"Your eyes were really wide and your jaw dropped."

Seunghyun covered his face. "Ah, this is so embarrassing."

"You really thought I was the manager, huh?"

"I'm sorryyyy."

"You also thought I looked older than I was."

"Sorryyyyy~"

Now it was Daesung's turn to tease Seunghyun. "But hey, I thought that you looked like a player."

"Daesungieee, I'm embarrassed." Seunghyun pouted, causing the younger man next to him to laugh.

They the two of them locked eyes, and then they both laughed. Daesung laughed so hard that he was leaning against Seunghyun, and Seunghyun wrapped an arm around him.

While the two laughed, their younger from-ten-years-ago counterparts were still staring speechless at each other.

Life would be different for them from that very moment.

After laughing to their heart's content while clinging to each other, Seunghyun and Daesung gasped for breath and calmed themselves down. They stared fondly at the memory for a while.

"Let's head back, hyung." Daesung turned to look at his hyung.

Seunghyun grinned. "Let's."

Then they closed their eyes and their surroundings dissolved. They opened their eyes and the practice room from over 10 years ago was gone, replaced with the current one. They had left the memory, now back in their right time.

They were both in their positions next to each other, leaning against the wall.

"And now here we are," Seunghyun said.

Daesung let his head drop on Seunghyun's shoulder. "Here we are."

 

__________________________________

 

Author's note: I think I'll write the memories in a different way for the next chapters. I'm afriad if using this "Harry Potter's pensive method" will just confuse the readers. I'll probably write in either Daesung or Seunghyun's point of view in the memory, or just have them both talking about it.

Thanks for reading! :) Don't forget to suggest memories for these two to visit ^__^