Running to the Lane

A Trip Down Memory Lane

Daesung had this sudden urge to go to the practice room of the YG Building.

He didn't know why. He was at home, lying down on his bed, when he felt a sudden urge tugging at his very being. He stopped doing what he was doing (which was staring at the ceiling above him while his head lay on a pillow) and immediately sat up.

"I gotta go," he announced, to no one in particular. Then he hopped out of bed and, without changing out of his pyjamas, slipped on his jacket.

Daesung didn't think twice as he left the apartment, bringing nothing with him except his wallet. It was a miracle that he managed to shove his feet into a pair of shoes before he walked through the door.

It was already pass midnight. The stars were shining above him like a blanket of bright lights. The streets were empty, except for a couple of bystanders. He quickly covered his head with the hood of the jacket, covering his face as much as he could.

In minutes, his fast walking pace turned into a jog, and then a sprint. It felt like a drama.

What the heck is going on? he thought. Of course, he received no answer.

Time passed until he found himself in front of the YG Building, which had become his second home after spending so many years there. After the basic procedures to ensure the security system that he was Kang Daesung, he went inside. He was immediatly greeted by the vast emptiness of nobody being there.

He walked around, still not sure what he was searching for.

The cafeteria was empty. There was no one in the recording rooms. He wondered if be was going to be a rebel and enter Boss YG's office.

But the weird urge that had taken ahold of him back at home suddenly tightened its grip now on Daesung.

He knew where he had to go.

Without missing a beat, Daesung headed to the practice rooms. Somehow, he found himself in front of one of them. Without hesitation, he opened the door of said practice room and barged inside.

And there was Choi Seunghyun in front of him.

----

The two stared at each other for what must have felt like a lifetime. Seunghyun, who had jumped when Daesung suddenly opened the door, was a couple meters away. The older man's hand was on the wall in front of him--- as if he was staring at his reflection in the mirror before Daesung's intrusion.

But now their eyes were locked.

Daesung was panting.

Seunghyun was surprised, large eyes wide open. He was wearing his casual attire, as if he was from a walk in the park: jeans and a thick sweater, no doubt wearing layers of clothes underneath.

Finally one of them spoke---

"...Daesungie?"

---answered by the other.

"Hyung!"

And finally they both exploded in words.

"What're you doing here?"

"I could ask the same to you!"

"You're sweating... Were you running?" Seunghyun looked genuinely concerned.

"Yes I was, hyung!"

"Are... are you in your pyjamas?"

"Yes I am, hyung!"

"Er...why?"

"Because I ran out of the house without changing!"

"Why?"

"Because I wanted to see you!"

Silence.

Maybe if this was any other normal night, Daesung would have been aware of how utterly bizarre his words were. Such words were more than enough to freak anybody out. But at this very moment, the words just felt obvious and natural to him. As if he were meant to say them all along.

Because that night was not a normal night.

It was the night before Choi Seunghyun left to start his military service.

 

_____________

 

Author's note: Don't worry, the next chapters will be longer.

Also, I made a video for Seunghyun and Daesung. It'd be cool if you guys checked it out ^__^ I used a remix of their songs, to add to the nostalgic feel. Just think of the video as a pair to this fanfic.

clicky clicky --> | TODAE | T.O.P & Daesung - Through the Years (2006 - 2015)