Yuri's first love

New World

“So, have you ever thought of how you are going to pay me?”

They were sitting across each other, Yuri busy flipping through a magazine she picked at the rack and the Sooyoung girl was still hooked at whatever she’s doing with her ipad.

“Huh?” Shocked with the sudden question, Yuri stared at the other girl intently. She thought they’ll be spending their whole day in silence when the girl didn’t speak a single word to her when they were eating up until now.

“Are you deaf? Or are you just slow?” The girl was good at spouting insults even without looking up at from her gadget.

Yuri grumbled.

“Charge everything to my card.” Yuri shrugged.

“And have you discovered by the same people you ran away from. Great.”

“But I have no cash with me.”

“That’s our problem. I don’t usually do charity cases like this, letting beggars into my house.”

Yuri can feel her blood boiling. The girl was simply annoying even at this early time of the day.

“So what do you want from me? I can’t give you my body. I’m saving this treasure for marriage so think of something else.” Yuri said nonchalantly, as she stared at the beautiful dress the model at the magazine was wearing, but she think a darker shade would suit the model’s skin color better.

Yuri only heard a scoff.

“You’d think I’d want that? Geez. I’ve already seen it and I don’t love it. I’d rather stare at myself.”

Yuri paused and exhaled slowly through her nose. She raised her eyes and tilted her head to the side as she studied the other’s body across from her silently, taking as much detail as she could.

“You’re right. You’re definitely ier.”

The girl smirked thinking she just won the game until she got ran over hard.

“Than a stick, that is.”

Yuri’s uninterested face and flat voice delivered it so smoothly it was harder than a punch.

Sooyoung dropped her Ipad with how much her hands were shaking. She was biting her lips in anger, clenching and unclenching her fingers as not to rush over and strangle the other girl.

Breathing in and out slowly, she regained her control and faced the unfazed Yuri.

“So, aside from your feistiness, what else can you offer?”

Yuri finally placed the magazine down, as she looked at the other girl, contemplating, as if she was in a serious business meeting.

Honestly she doesn’t know what to offer her. She only has herself right at this moment.

Seeing her conflicted face, the other girl decided to help by giving her options.

“Do you know how to cook?”

“No.”

“Do you know how to clean?”

“No.”

“Can you do laundry?”

“No.”

Yuri’s eyes twitched as she knew where this interrogation was heading and she’s ready to reject it.

“Then what can you do? You’re basically useless.”

Yuri kept calm and smiled sweetly to the other girl.

“Well it’s not my fault I was not raised to be a maid. And I’m not applying to be one.”

“You’re an idiot, those things that I’ve asked you? They’re basically essential life skills. You don’t have to be a maid to know them. You need those skills to survive in this world you stuck up brat.” The other girl spat.

And it dawned on our princess that this Sooyoung girl is actually right. She’s a total idiot.

“I’m sorry.” Yuri whispered, tears starting to form making her sight hazy.

“Yah, don’t even think of crying.”

“But I’m sad! And hurt! And disappointed! Mostly at myself for being such a useless idiot!” Yuri’s sudden outburst stunned the girl for a while, not having any smartass comeback to that one.

Yuri started to sob, tears falling relentlessly as she released all her pent up emotions and frustrations, shaking her body with each powerful blow. She tried to wipe away her tears with her hands, tried so hard to stop herself from crying yet she can’t.

She heard the other girl leaving her. She must look so pathetic right now that the girl can’t even insult her even more. How she wished the girl could just utter insults right now like how ugly she looks while crying or how loud she was being but no, the girl chose to walk away and pity her. She hated being pitied on and it made her cry harder.

“Here. Dry your tears. You look uglier like that.” She looked at her side and saw a handkerchief offered to her. She would’ve found the act cute if the girl didn’t accompany it with saying that she looks ugly. Hey, she wanted to hear the other girl lighten up the atmosphere by bantering with her but saying she’s ugly? God! She’s a girl and that’s never acceptable.

“Yah!” It was insulting, but effective. She felt her heart soar slowly from the dumps she was in earlier, fired up to fight back.

“Eww, your nose is dripping. Wipe that off you disgusting creature!”

“YAAAAAAAHHH!”

The girl was comforting her too much right now, too much for her liking anyway.

 

*

 

After their dramatic ordeal earlier in the day, they spent the day trying hard to avoid each other, even if they’re still at the same house.

Yuri was avoiding the girl to stop herself from murdering another human, and the girl obviously to avoid being killed inside her own house.

But lunchtime came and they needed to eat. So they raised their imaginary white flags and settled themselves in the kitchen. Sooyoung was cooking with her back turned against Yuri, she had the knife set within reach, if the girl tried to do anything, like hurling a freaking lamp at her like she did earlier.

She sighed as she served their lunch and sat on her chair. She was about to reach for food when the other halted her by raising her hand, making her dart her eyes to the knife set. Maybe this crazy woman brought a samurai sword with her and would slash her right then and there.

“Let’s pray.”

Sooyoung nodded and they prayed. Feeling protected by God, she knew she will not die while eating.

“That’s a lot.” Yuri said as she eyed five main dishes and three side dishes in front of her. “Are we expecting guests?”

“No. I usually eat a lot. You got a problem with that?” Sooyoung said and stated munching on a chicken wing.

“No wonder it took you forever to cook.” Yuri grumbled as she twisted her pasta with a fork.

“Oh I’m sorry your majesty, your slave who happens to own this house was busy running for her life earlier to cook.” Sooyoung sent her daggers with her eyes but she dismissed it as she savoured the food.

“You cook well.” She complimented with a heavy heart. She can’t cook even if her life depended on it.

“Of course I do.”

Yuri rolled her eyes. She shouldn’t have said that.

 

*

 

Yuri was relaxing her legs that afternoon as she put them up on the couch. She’s reading a book she found. She heard noises but she dismissed them, knowing the annoying girl was nearby and she didn’t want to fight as of now.

The noise was increasing so she had no choice but to locate its source. She squint her eyes as she saw the girl walking around pushing a machine. It emitted a low humming sound but it was noisy enough for her.

“What are you doing?” She asked, maybe the girl was just trying to disturb her.

“I’m cleaning. Can’t you see that?” The girl said blandly, moving around.

“How is walking around with that noisy thing can be called cleaning?” She was curious.

“It’s called vacuuming you idiot.” Sooyoung said. Yuri’s eyes twinkled.

Oooooh, so this is a vacuum cleaner. Gaaaahh! It will be so much fun to use!

“Uhm, Sooyoung.” She called out. No response.

“Sooyoung!” Still no response.

“Walking flagpole!”

Sooyoung’s slipper hit her face.

“Ouch.”

“Serves you right you—“

“Idiot. Oh can you call me something else? It makes me think it’s the only word you know.” Yuri smirked. They’re getting ready to kill each other again.

“Imbecile.” The girl corrected Yuri. “Why did you call me and make me hear your annoying voice?”

“I want to try it.” Yuri said, eyes twinkling.

“Try what?” Sooyoung looked confused.

“That thing you’re holding. I haven’t tried it before and I’ve never seen one until today.” Yuri said breathless. She was already in front of Sooyoung, crouching down as she stared at the shiny machine, awe written in her face.

God she’s so stupid. How can you make her like this?! Sooyoung shook her head as she looked down at the cavewoman who have never seen a freaking vacuum cleaner before.

“Fine. This is the power button—“ Sooyoung started lecturing.

And that’s how Kwon Yuri met the amazing vacuum cleaner.

 

*

 

“Can I—“

“No.”

“Please? Just one more time—“

“No.”

“Oh come on. Just once?” Yuri pouted. Sooyoung turned around from what she’s cooking. It was nearly dinner but Yuri have been pestering her nonstop.

“I said no.”

Yuri huffed and pouted.

“Whatever you’re thinking, it’s not going to work. I’ll still say no.”

“But you’re a clean freak! Don’t you love to see me cleaning?” Yuri said, batting her eyelashes, trying so hard to win the other girl over.

“For the nth time, for God’s sake Yuri you can’t vacuum the whole house for the umpteenth time today!”

“But it’s dirty again?” Yuri said, wanting to see her first love (the vacuum cleaner) which Sooyoung hid after she spent the whole afternoon vacuuming the whole house over and over again.

“I said no. Why don’t you just go upstairs, take a shower and change? We have a guest coming over so please be presentable.” They have shared Sooyoung’s bedroom and since Yuri practically gets whatever she wants, she’s been freely wearing the other girl’s clothes too, much to the girl’s annoyance and frustration when Yuri blackmailed her that she would walk around in a towel or worse if she doesn’t share her clothes. Yuri won’t even sleep in her assigned guest room feigning fear of being alone.

 

*

 

Yuri was fully clothed and was drying her hair when she heard her name being called downstairs, strangely with a voice she don’t recognize. Thinking the other girl was trying to prank her, she pretended not to hear and resumed her business.

Finally done, she went downstairs, walking towards the garden where she heard voices talking loudly.

When she got outside, she saw the long wooden table filled with food, set up expertly, well lighted, and she spot Sooyoung talking animatedly to another female with her back on her. She saw how Sooyoung had already showered and dressed casually with a white shirt and shorts.

Her guest in contrast looked like she got out straight from a magazine cover, with all the makeup, outfit and accessories.

“Oh you’re here.” Sooyoung said as she spotted her. She had distaste in her voice but motioned her to come over nonetheless.

“This is Yuri.” Sooyoung said to her friend, whose face was shocked to hear her name.

“Ehh? Dude! What the hell?! This is YURI??!” The girl said, eyes widening.

The moment the girl spoke, Yuri recognized the voice who called her earlier. It got her more curious on to why a complete stranger would call her and to even know her name.

“Yup, this is Yuri.” Sooyoung said pointing at her as Yuri nodded her confused head.

“BUT YOU SAID YOU HAD A NEW PET AND ITS NAME IS YURI???”

“I have the same name as your pet?” Yuri asked Sooyoung who grabbed the nearest knife away from Yuri’s grasp.

Sooyoung grinned as she scooted slowly away from the two girls.

“Well, she’s the ONLY Yuri living in my house.” She said calmly.

Yuri was growling as she decoded what the girl meant. As she was about to grab Sooyoung’s neck, she was halted by the other girl’s scream.

“WHAT THE HECK DUUUUDE!  I THOUGHT YOU BOUGHT A DOG SO I BROUGHT THESE!!”

The girl said as she shoved bags of dog treats and a pink glittered collar with YURI written with blue diamonds.

She stomped her feet like a child, surprising Yuri. She pushed the thought of killing Sooyoung aside and cursed her inside her head instead as she focused her attention to their guest who’s throwing a fit.

“Do you know how heavy and burdensome it is to carry all of these from New York?!” The girl grumbled as Sooyoung just laughed her soul out of her body.

Yuri’s eye twitched. She thought the guest was mad at Sooyoung for introducing a breathing human being as a pet but knowing Sooyoung her friends must be like her, so heartless, not thinking about her being human but with her sacrifice bringing the doggy treats halfway around the world.

Stupid Sooyoung. I hope you choke on your meal tonight!

That was just one of Yuri’s curses inside her head.

They have finally settled as Sooyoung managed to stop herself from bursting into laughter once again.

“Oh, how rude of me, I have totally forgotten to introduce myself to you Yuri who’s obviously not a dog.” The girl sent Sooyoung a glare and stared back at Yuri. “Sorry about my gifts I’ll change them later.”

“It’s okay—“ Yuri prolonged, not really knowing the girl’s name.

“Sooyoung. Choi Sooyoung.” The girl offered her hand and shook Yuri’s shaking hands.

“Wait, you’re Sooyoung?” Yuri asked, her eyes darted from one girl to the other.

“Yes. The one and only beautiful, super-model Choi Sooyoung! This idiot’s best friend!”  Apparently the real Sooyoung said.

“Then who the hell are you?!” Yuri exclaimed pointing a finger at the girl seated across from her.

“You live with her and you don’t even know her name?” Sooyoung asked as she picked her wine glass, sipping from it.

“But she said she’s Sooyoung! Which is obviously a lie coz you two can’t possibly have the same name, right?!” Yuri was fuming with anger, this girl has made a complete fool out of her.

“Yah! Explain!” Sooyoung said, nearly choking on her drink as she eyed her best friend.

“I told her my name was Sooyoung coz I know she’s been cursing me a lot inside her head!” The girl said defensively like it was the right thing to do.

“No wonder I felt heavy and paranoid lately!” Sooyoung almost jumped and punched her best friend.

“Okay sorry!” The girl said smiling playfully making Yuri glare even more if she still can.

“Hey idiot, stop cursing Sooyoung now okay?”

Yuri snorted.

“Then tell me your name so I can curse you properly?” Yuri seethed.

“The name’s Yoona. Im Yoona. Now shall we eat? You can curse me later.” The girl ‘Yoona’ laughed and high fived her best friend Sooyoung who obviously marvelled how Yoona pulled off that prank with their names.

Curse you later? How about we start now?

I hope Im Yoona fall off a ditch and permanently erase that smug look on her face! Aaaaargh!

YOU ARE SO ANNOYING IM YOONA!!!!

*