Last

Demons can't love

 

Donghae was lost in too many drinks he couldn’t really know what was happening anymore. He knew he had come clubbing with Heechul and that Heechul had disappeared long ago with a guy he knew. He also knew that he himself had been making out with a random guy and that said random guy was dragging him out of the club.

Donghae couldn’t protest against him, he was far too gone.

“Let go of him” Donghae heard and in no time he went from being drugged out of the club by a random dude to being bride style carried to his house by someone he knew far too well.

“I wasssn’t in dangerrr” Donghae mumbled towards the guy shoulder.

“You don’t know the dude Donghae, he could hurt you” the guy answered simply.

“Andddd you’re alwaysss there to protect me… aren’t youu?” Donghae said smiling.

“You’re drunk, I’m not talking to you like this” the guy answered rolling his eyes.

Donghae looked up at them.

“I really hate your eyes” Donghae said before collapsing against the guy’s shoulder.

“I know” he whispered.

--

“You left and I freaked out” Heechul practically screamed at Donghae while throwing him a pillow.

“I’m sorry” Donghae said for the umpteenth time.

“Who did you leave with? What if something had happened Donghae?” Heechul threw him another pillow.

Kyuhyun was only laughing at his’ friends argument. Donghae and Heechul had been best friends for four years now and just recently did Kyuhyun joined them. The three of them were currently in Heechul’s apartment.

“I really don’t know who I left with but it doesn’t matter, I got carried home by Eunhyuk” Donghae said throwing the pillow back.

Heechul raised both eyebrows.

“Of course I should already know I shouldn’t worry about you, he will always appear to save you from trouble” Heechul said catching the pillow and throwing it back.

“Who is Eunhyuk?” Kyuhyun asked curiously.

“The demon who is in love with Donghae” Heechul answered simply, while Donghae threw the pillow back effectively hitting Heechul in the head.

“But demons can’t love” Kyuhyun said shaking his head. “They really can’t, not between them and obviously not a human”

“Well then he has an unhealthy obsession with Donghae, follows him everywhere” Heechul answered with a shrug sitting down on the couch.

“He doesn’t follow me everywhere” Donghae said quickly, there was something in Kyuhyun’s words that made him uneasy. Heechul raised an eyebrow at Donghae.

“He is always there when you need something, always there when you are in danger, face it Donghae, he follows you everywhere, and he’ll do anything for you; so if the guy is not in love then he sure as hell-” Heechul let out a chuckle “-has something for you”

“Demons can’t have nothing for humans but the wanting of their humans souls… so I’d advise you stay away from him Donghae” Kyuhyun said turning to Donghae, giving him a worried glance.

“It’s not like I talk to him or anything, every time I’ve tried he left without much word and; like Heechul said, he just appears whenever I’m in danger or need something” Donghae said as he relaxed on the couch, waving his hand absent mindedly to finish off the topic.

--

Donghae was walking home with too many doubts in his head. If demons can’t feel love then why Eunhyuk looked after him? Why did he appear when Donghae needed something? If the only thing Eunhyuk wants is his soul, why has he never asked for it? Or just blatantly took it?

Donghae was so into his own thoughts he didn’t notice there were people following him. Not until one of them grabbed his shoulder and turned him around. Donghae came face to face to two guys about his height, both of them with guns in their hands. Donghae immediately raised both his hands in shock.

“Give me your wallet” the guy holding him said calmly, eyes staring straight at Donghae’s.

“I-I d-don’t-” Donghae stammered.

“I said” the guy loaded his gun “give me your wallet”

Donghae terrified lowered one of his hands into his back pocket.

“You’ve got three seconds to let go of him” a too familiar voice sounded right behind the guys. They turned around, the guy still holding Donghae’s shoulder and the gun to his face. Donghae shifted his eyes at Eunhyuk. “Or I’ll drag you to hell right now”

Eunhyuk was standing mere feet away a scowl adorning his face, eyes brilliant red in anger; his shadow moving in quick circles below him.

Both of the thieves dropped their guns and raised their hands terrified.

Eunhyuk smirked.

“Good choice” he said as he passed right between them. He placed his arm around Donghae’s shoulder making him turn around and started walking. “Though you’ll still be going to hell. Good luck trying to redeem yourselves” he shouted once he and Donghae were far away.

They walked a few minutes in silence.

“Thanks” Donghae finally muttered, staring right at the floor. Eunhyuk didn’t answer.

“Umm I… I wanted to ask you something” Donghae said nervously, he looked up at Eunhyuk who already had his eyes on him encouraging him to go on. “I… I was just wondering… why do you always help me?”

“Your guardian angel does a ty job. Have to do it myself” Eunhyuk simply answered, looking straight ahead. Donghae looked at him confused.

“My guardian angel?” he asked.

“Nevermind, all angels are ty not just guardians” Eunhyuk answered.

“But what does my guardian angel has to do with you? I mean… if it wasn’t for you I don’t know what would have happen back there-”

“Exactly” Eunhyuk cut Donghae’s speech short. “Guardian angel of yours would have let you die”

Donghae stopped walking.

“Why do you care if I live?” Donghae asked looking straight at Eunhyuk’s eyes.

Donghae was expecting a witty comment, a scoff, a smirk, something that reminded him Eunhyuk was a demon, that he wasn’t human and therefore couldn’t feel like one, something rather than his pupils being red.

Donghae wasn’t expecting Eunhyuk to look at him with sorrow.

“Get home safely” Eunhyuk said softly, his voice barely over a whisper, before he disappeared.

Donghae was left more confused that when he had gotten out of Heechul’s place.

--

“Demons can’t love” Kyuhyun muttered to himself as he continued searching for something that could explain why Eunhyuk seemed too interested in Donghae on the internet. It wasn’t that Kyuhyun liked to stalk people –demons?- but curiosity was winning over and he was legitimately scared for Donghae. Does Eunhyuk want his soul? And if so, why hasn’t he taken it?

He tried searching for Eunhyuk first but nothing came up, so he changed to Donghae. And after discarding some articles about Lee Donghaes he didn’t care for he finally got to one that caught completely his attention.

He barely finish reading it when his screen turned black and little sparks came from it. He got away shocked and looked around his room. Just by turning around he came face to face to Eunhyuk.

Kyuhyun was terrified.

“Wh-what a-re you… how did you-”

“You say one word to Donghae about this Cho Kyuhyun and you’ll be food for my hellhounds. Do not mess with me” Eunhyuk said in a cold tone that immediately send shivers to Kyuhyun’s back.

Kyuhyun’s room fell into darkness and the only thing he could see were Eunhyuk’s eyes shining brilliant red.

“Curiosity didn’t kill the cat, but speaking will”

--

“Are you okay?” Heechul asked Kyuhyun with a raised eyebrow; Kyuhyun did notice the worried tone in Heechul’s voice, which meant that he was showing just how affected he was by Eunhyuk’s visit to his room last night.

Kyuhyun didn’t answer.

“Kyu? You’re worrying us” this time it was Donghae. The elder reached a hand to Kyuhyun and the younger flinched.

Donghae and Heechul looked at each other worriedly.

The three of them were at the school cafeteria during lunchtime but Kyuhyun hadn’t even touched his food.

Kyuhyun looked up at Donghae. He really wanted to say what he had found out but he knew better. Glancing behind Donghae at the far wall of the cafeteria was Eunhyuk staring right at him, daring him to disobey his warning.

Kyuhyun immediately paled.

Donghae and Heechul both turned to see what Kyuhyun was looking at but they saw nothing.

“Kyuhyun?” Heechul asked worriedly.

“I… I have to go… there’s an assignment I haven’t done” Kyuhyun stood up and left.

Donghae and Heechul once again looked at each other worriedly.

--

Donghae was now walking absentmindedly through the city. Everything that had happened the last few days was filling his head with so much questions that he didn’t have answer to and it was bothering him to a really big extent. So he decided that he’ll just walk around to try and clear his head.

Until he realized he had never been in this part of the city. He stopped and looked around trying to find something that helped him know where he was but nothing helped him. But there was a little shop that caught his attention.

“Potions & tales: a witch living”

“Witch?” Donghae asked confused.

Out of curiosity Donghae entered the shop.

“Oh welcome” a small lady greeted him. She was dressed up in a black dress that reached up to her knees and had long sleeves. She had blonde curly hair that reached just below her shoulders. A white cat rubbed Donghae’s leg before running towards her. “My name is Hyuna and I’m a powerful witch; what is it that you need?” she asked amusedly.

“I… I just entered here out of curiosity I guess” Donghae said rubbing the back of his neck with his hand.

“That’s okay, but humans always need something: money, love, answers-” she rambled while she walked away.

“Answers” Donghae said with his eyes wide.

Hyuna smiled.

“What kind of answers?” she asked.

“I need to know why a demon follows me” Donghae said without a doubt.

“Do you remember your first encounter with him?” she asked in return, looking straight at Donghae, no longer walking.

“No” Donghae answered looking down at the floor.

“Well then you need a “remembrum”” she said smiling. “Ilhoon dear bring everything for a remembrum” she said to her cat. It quickly disappeared through some curtains that lead to another room.

“What is a remembrum?” Donghae asked confused.

“A potion to help you remember of course” she said laughing. Donghae formed an ‘o’ with his mouth; he should have guessed. “But of course no magic is free, how are you paying me today?”

Donghae nodded and went straight for his wallet.

“Witches don’t charge in money, honey” she said as she walked behind the counter –which lacked a cash machine- a boy who was just a little bit taller than Hyuna with blond short hair and a lip piercing appeared seconds later, holding a bowl with some items in it. “Thank you Hoonie” she crooned as the boy just smiled and disappeared again through the curtains.

Hyuna turned back to him.

“So, what are you giving me?”

Donghae looked at the floor as he thought. He only had three options as he wasn’t carrying anything of valor with him except his ring that his father had given him before he died, a silver necklace with an infinite sign he always had with him and always wore even though Donghae didn’t recall his meaning, and the contents of his wallet.

Now Hyuna had already said she didn’t want money so his third option was out. He thought about giving out his necklace as he could tell that it wasn’t as meaningful as his ring. But something inside him stopped him from doing that.

He took the ring off instead.

“My father gave this to me before dying” he said as he handled it to her.

Hyuna looked straight at Donghae.

“You want to know that bad that you’ll give me that?” she asked.

Donghae only nodded as he placed the ring on the counter.

Hyuna looked at it.

“It’s on the house” she said as she started working on the potion. Donghae blinked confused at her.

“But…” he started.

“Shh, just promise me you’ll be back and will bring me food, good one, from a good place and also Ilhoon, we love meat” she said happily.

Donghae blinked confused again before smiling widely, taking the ring back.

“Here you go” Hyuna said minutes later handing Donghae a potion.

“Thanks” Donghae answered with a sincere smile.

Donghae drowned the potion in one go and as the last drop of it passed through Donghae’s throat Donghae started seeing images as vividly as if he was watching a movie.

Donghae as a small kid playing with another small kid he couldn’t recall.

“Happy birthday Donghae! Here you go” the little kid said as he handed Donghae a present and he opened it to reveal a too familiar infinite sign necklace “because will be friends forever”

“We will Hyukjae!” Donghae answered hugging him.

Years of him and Hyukjae playing around flashed in minutes.

Donghae sitting in his room with Hyukjae as they were preteens and Donghae starting to develop deep feelings for his friend.

Donghae and Hyukjae turning 14.

“Mom can I go to this school trip? It’s going to be awesome!” Donghae had asked his mom, what she didn’t know was that this was the school trip he would finally reveal his feelings to Hyukjae and hopefully he’ll come back with more than a friend.

“Sure honey, is Hyukjae going?” she asked.

“Yes! Yes he is!” Donghae hugged his mom.

“I really, really like you… in more than a friendly way” Donghae said looking down a big blush adorning his cheeks.

“Oh Donghae, I really, really like you too” Hyukjae said as he pressed a small kiss to Donghae’s forehead. Both of them were a blushing and giggling mess.

As they sat down on the same bus booth they continued talking and giggling their hands intertwined.

The bus suddenly turned over and everything was chaos, the last thing Donghae can remember is looking straight at Hyukjae’s terrified face before he was thrown out of the window immediately blacking out.

“Wake up Donghae”

A voice he couldn’t recall was calling him. Donghae woke up with a little struggle.

“Well hello, welcome back to Earth” Donghae saw a man with red eyes, small face and jet black hair smirking down at him “My name is Himchan, the demon who put you back together sweetie, but that’s not important, you won’t remember this anyway, just so you know you died and this little fella; what was his name again? Right, Lee Hyukjae sold off his soul to bring you back. How does it feel to know he gave up his entire human life and succumbed to an eternity of being hell’s slave just for you huh? Well you won’t remember him anyway so it really doesn't matter right?”

Donghae out again.

He woke up in a hospital this time, his mom at his side.

The next time he saw Hyukjae, his eyes were red.

Donghae snapped back to reality.

A single chill ran down his spine. His hand absentmindedly went straight to the necklace. No wonder Eunhyuk had always took care of him.

“Guardian angel of yours would have let you die”

And Hyukjae couldn’t bring back Donghae twice.

“So… are those satisfying answers?” Hyuna asked curious.

Donghae only nodded.

--

Donghae knew the only way he could get Eunhyuk to appear was to be in danger. And that’s why he went to the ceiling of an apartment complex and stood in the edge. If he made it seem like he was going to jump Eunhyuk would appear.

Donghae didn’t heard Eunhyuk, he just fell something grabbing him from behind and pulling him away from the edge.

“What are you doing?” Eunhyuk asked angry, his eyes brilliant red.

Donghae stood in place and looked at Eunhyuk with sorrow. His eyes immediately filled with tears and he let out a small gasp.

“Hyukjae” he said softly, loud enough for Eunhyuk to hear.

Eunhyuk froze.

“H-How…?” Eunhyuk stuttered.

A single tear left Donghae’s eyes.

“What did you do Hyukjae?” he asked breaking down crying “You had so many dreams! You survived! You should have stayed alive you idiot!” Donghae screamed, giving Hyukjae a small punch at the end.

Hyukjae was at loss of words.

“I took a remembrum” Donghae confessed once he calmed down after a few minutes “and I remembered everything we went through, including me waking up to a demon telling me you brought me back” he finished looking straight up to Hyukjae, anger filling him. “Why couldn’t I remember you before? Why did you change your name? Why didn’t you came looking for me the moment I woke up again?”

“I did!” Hyukjae screamed, now tears were filling his eyes “I did and you didn’t remember me and I went back to Himchan and he said he did me a favor by erasing me from your mind, if a human falls in love with a demon his soul is destined to hell”

Hyukjae looked down and bit his lip hard to try and stop the tears from falling. Donghae looked at him with wide eyes, his mouth open as he tried to breathe.

“What?” he asked finally.

“If we come together you are going to hell, it doesn’t matter how good of a person are you” Hyukjae said calmly, still looking down at the ground.

“You think I care about that? Hyukjae I love you! You gave your human life for me, you think I care about going to hell?” Donghae snapped angrily.

“I do” Hyukjae snapped right back, his eyes becoming brilliant red again. “Donghae you haven’t seen hell, I have, I would never put your soul there”

“Then what was the point in bringing me back? You had a ing life Hyukjae, I don’t know what am I going to do with mine but you… you had so many dreams, you knew you wanted to help people, you had the kindest heart ever, and the world lost an amazing person because of me-”

“Donghae I woke up and you were dead!” Hyukjae interrupted, tears finally escaping through his eyes “you have any idea how much that hurt? I made it but I was so ing damaged I could barely move and then when I ask for you they tell me “he’s been dead for a weekI didn’t get to be at your funeral, I had feeling bottled for you finally revealed and I had you just to lose you mere moments later. And I looked for ways of bringing you back because you don’t know how hard it was to even imagine the life without my best friend and angels didn’t answer and the only creature left were demons. Now demons don’t care about “the natural state of things” you give them your soul and they give you whatever you want.”

 “So yeah, the moment I was good enough to walk I took the courage and I went to a crossroad and I summoned one. The price I had to pay to bring you back is that I kept my human emotions but I became a demon in every other sense, that’s why I can still love you and it will never fade away but I can’t be with you” Hyukjae finished off a lump in his throat forming.

Donghae walked up to him, tears still rolling through his face without a break. He turned Hyukjae to him and hugged him hard.

“You should have left me dead idiot” he whispered at his ear.

“I couldn’t” Hyukjae answered wrapping his arms around Donghae’s waist and pulling him in. He buried his face in Donghae’s shoulder. “I preferred you not knowing to save you the pain. That’s why I stayed away, I only appeared when you needed me”

“Making sure I would still be alive” Donghae answered resting his chin on Hyukjae’s shoulder.

“I changed my name so you couldn’t even remember me from that, took away all your pictures of us and talked to your mom. She was also pissed off at me but at the same time she was grateful I brought you back” Hyukjae felt like a weight had been taken off from his shoulders.

“And your mom?” Donghae asked not really wanting to know the answer.

“I… erased her memory of me, did it to all my family and anyone who might ask you about me” Hyukjae felt so weak like he hadn’t felt in four years, he felt human.

“Hyukjae” Donghae’s tears regained strength and he hugged Hyukjae tighter. “You know how horrible it feels to know that you are the one who ruined your best friend life?”

“I made the decision Donghae, it wasn’t your fault”

“A decision you had to make for me”

“You were dead it’s not like you could have stopped me” Hyukjae gave Donghae a last squeeze before he separated from him.

They stayed up close, Donghae cupped Hyukjae’s face in his hands.

“I really hate your eyes” Donghae said looking straight at Hyukjae’s red eyes, the only sign that could tell off he was a demon.

“I know” Hyukjae whispered.

Donghae close the distance within them and kissed Hyukjae softly on the lips.

Knowing that was probably the last time he would be able to do it.