fin.

I don't sing (I know you can)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

If there was ever anything prominent in high school, it would be the cliques. Cliched as it sounds, it's not rare to see groups of people join together based on their interests. There were the rich kids, skater dudes, brainiacs, jocks, and the band geeks. Not that the latter were particularly geeks, but that's just the term that stuck. They were mostly just a bunch of guys interested in music, or at least skilled at it. Anybody could be popular, though, and people weren't immediately defined by their cliques; and that's sort of what Hansol found nice about the school he was in. 

Hansol, or more popularly known as Vernon around campus, would definitely place himself under the jock category, no questions asked. He was one of the star basketball players, along with other names like Wonwoo, Mingyu, Seungcheol, and Junghan. It's just where he was more comfortable in, dressed in jerseys and snapbacks paired with the latest sneaker craze, a basketball sometimes tucked under his arm, if not being spun around by the other guys. The jocks being popular was a given.

It was also a given that Junghan was the most popular one, because apart from playing well, that guy could sing.

He was a pretty solid example of how cliques don't define a person. Junghan could sing like an angel, and he was well known to be one of the vocals of this one school band called Seventeen. It's nothing official, just something a bunch of students created. It originally consisted of Jisoo, Seokmin, Jihoon, and Seunggwan. All known for their vocals, or musical instrument abilities, or simply both. Other members joined in now and then- students from the brainiacs like Soonyoung and Junhui; from the skater dudes, like Minghao and Chan. 

Among the jocks, only Junghan was into the singing thing. Sometimes the other guys would rap, but that was it. 

Hansol? 

Hansol just wasn't into that. He doesn't sing.

Never in front of anybody else, at least. 

 


Seunggwan was born to sing. 

That's what he tells everybody, anyway. He's never not in the music room during break times, singing his heart out. Actually, he sings wherever he goes. A day doesn't pass by where you don't hear Seunggwan belting it out in the hallway or in the cafeteria while everybody is trying to eat. Nobody complains because it's true that he has a great voice- plus you can't really get him to shut up either way, so why bother. 

Seunggwan was also aware of who else sings around school. It's pretty much those who hang in the music room, their little band of Seventeen, and the extra members they have now and then. Ever since Junghan found himself adopted into the team, courtesy of Jisoo, the band geeks and the jocks have had interactions. Seungcheol drops by to help with composing some songs. Mingyu would lend some lyrical help. Wonwoo would add in some rap, when needed. It was surprising, definitely a bit odd, but overall fun.  

There was, however, the case of the ever elusive Vernon.

"Well, his actual name is Hansol," Jisoo mentioned once. "I was with him in English. He's really nice."

"I'm sure he is," Seunggwan commented offhandedly.

Seunggwan was with Vernon in all his classes, but he's never really talked him. Hansol is, well, never called Hansol, for one thing. Everybody knows him as Vernon, since that's what's written on his jersey (instead of "Chwe" which was his last name, right? Seunggwan's not really sure.) Even the teachers call him Vernon. Seunggwan

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter