Chapter One

AMNESIA

[1]

.

.

.

Who? Where? When? How?

All the questions lingering on my head left unanswered as I let myself to gasp at the luxury of the unfamiliar room that somehow I end up staying over for God-knows how many hours (or days?, I hope no). I almost let out another gasp when I realize that I’m wearing a clearly too-expensive night gown with no recollection of wearing it the other night. Well, after all, I have no recollection of anything that happened the other night, or the previous night… or the other previous night, and it slowly gives me a surge of panic attack.

Why am I here? Who took me here? When was the last time I awake? Why didn’t I have any memory of it? How—

The doorknob clicks when I’m still imagining the worst possibilities I could think of, and a man in at least a half century greeted me with his almost too ridiculous formal suit, like a butler working in a huge mansion or something. Ha, at least I could conclude something from myself – a little over-dramatic chick with one creepy imagination.

“It’s great to see you awake, Miss. Let me introduce myself. My name is Hwang Taegoon. You can simply call me Hwang. As you can see, I am working as a butler in the great Kim’s Residence.”

Woah! Wait, wait, wait! I’m not imagining all of this, right? That middle-aged man is really a butler who is working in huge mansion? Is this still in the era of aristocratic royal family? Victorian, perhaps? Where I could see horses wandering around the street or ladies in royal dress and gentlemen in their nobleman suits? Oh, stop it before it turns into another soapy theatrical drama.

“Miss? Are you alright? Does your head hurt? Wait for a minute, please, I’m calling the doctor.”

The old man dissapeared as fast as light before I could reply anything. To admit, my head does feel a little discomfort, especially when I realize that I can’t answer almost all the questions flying around in my head. Who am I, really? Where am I? What happened that I could end up here in a classic unfamiliar huge room and meet an old man with a funny-looking costume who is actually a butler in the so-called great Kim’s Residence?

So if here is the Kim’s Residence he’s referring to, then who is this nobleman Kim who lets me stay for I-still-don’t-know-how-many-hours-or-days in his mighty great residence? Or am I perhaps a daughter of him? So why couldn’t I remember any of that? This is very confusing. Great, my head is now throbbing.

.

.

After all the doctor’s examination ritual finishes, I once again end up together with ‘Butler Hwang’ as he gives me a gentle smile who looks somehow more sympathetic that he lets on. I understand that, though. The doctor’s previous words indeed answered the majority of my unanswered questions. But my mind is still too blank to acknowledge all the missing pieces in my head that left me feeling a little bit dull.

He explained that I got into some ‘big accident to head collision to bad concussion’ and all of those combinations resulted me to lose my memories. Amnesia, tersely said. Not permanent, fortunately. By combining all of those, I think I understand why I end up staying here in Kim’s Residence.

“The owner of this residence – or whatever it’s called – did this to me, am I right?”

The old man looked taken aback with my direct question.

“I’m sorry, Miss. But really, Young Master didn’t expect any of these. He’s not even drunk-driving or doing any other careless actions that could cause a big accident like this. It is really an accident. He, in fact, felt sorry enough to let you staying here because he knows you got amnesia and couldn’t possibly remember your family’s address. I apologize for all of these, Miss, really. Young Master must have felt the same way, too.”

Then, a man’s voice curtly interrupted our conversation.

“You are wrong, Hwang.”

Standing near the door is a tall young man with charismatic face and seemingly ice-cold expression. He’s also wearing a formal suit, although this time rather than the old man’s funny-looking butler suit, this formal suit reflects a young master he is. In short, he is one gorgeous creature. Even his fingers which he’s currently using to fix the tie looks inhumanly slim and long, his pale complexion adding all the killing combination a man could ever have. Although ever since I lost my memories, I have only seen Butler Hwang and him, I could guarantee that he’s one of the most beautiful men in this universe.

“Yes, Young Master?”

“I’m not sorry at all about what happened with this lady over here.”

My face falls flat.

“As you said before, I did not do any DUI* or other careless actions that could cause an accident. This lady here was the one at fault to hurriedly cross the street in front of my moving car without any warning. About the later part, I let her staying here not because I am sorry or anything like that, I simply don’t want this accident to leak out, especially to Her. So, just be grateful that I give you a place to live for a while, and I truly hope it’s just for a while, so you better go to the psychiatrist and quickly remember your address so I can send you there as soon as possible. The end.”

With that, he leaves as fast as he comes, succeed to anger me to the max. I take back all the great things I said about him. He’s maybe gorgeous, but he’s also the biggest jerk ever.

 

---

*DUI = Driving Under Influence

 

Notes: My first chapter! If you like it, please subscribe. Thanks and sorry for any grammatical errors. English is not my first language. ^^