Friends or Something More?

Unexpected Meetings

Mark pulled the neck of his hoodie tighter around his face to block out some of the bitter wind that was howling down the streets around him. He turned his head in the direction of his shivering friend and laughed at Jinyoung who had forgotten his jacket and was currently freezing his off.

"Come on!" he shouted forcefully, knowing that the words were being ripped from his mouth as soon as they escaped his tinged-blue from cold lips. "We're almost there I promise" Mark continued with as he began to walk at a faster pace towards the destination. The other boy grumbled under his breath in response but it was stolen by the wind before it ever graced the red head's ears.


Jinyoung desperately tried to rub some life back into his numb arms but sadly felt nothing, letting out a huff of annoyance which was mostly a puff of hot air escaping his mouth. With a distinctive smirk on his face he then chose to take advantage of the warmth next to him. He latched onto Mark by wrapping his arms around the other's waist from behind and then slipped his hands into the hoodie pockets. The momentarily warmth that seeped into him lasted for mere seconds before the red head shrieked and tried to throw the other boy off. Mark succeeded and Jinyoung ended up on the hard pavement. Mark just laughed and continued walking ignoring Jinyoung's screams of how cruel the other is for firstly putting him on the floor and then leaving him there. Eventually the sound of gravel scraping and footsteps could be heard coupled with a huff and he could practically hear the other crossing his arms like an angry toddler, but with that Mark knew that Jinyoung was beside him once again.


Both boys rounded the corner and the cinema then came into view with its obnoxious neon sign hanging above the door. They stopped momentarily to gaze at the posters of the latest films that were hung on the exterior walls of the building. Once they had agreed on a film the two of them went in, and at once wanted to come right back out again. The fact that it was colder within the cinema coupled with the musty smell of old mouldy carpets that hit them as they walked in was enough reason to want to turn tail. A long queue was yet another wonderful thing that greeted them as they walked in and Jinyoung huffed in annoyance as a result of it. But after trudging all this way there was no point in giving up and heading home now.

"Mark" Jinyoung whined drawing out his name, "it's bad enough you made me walk here, which I froze my off in the process of thank you very much as well as throwing me to the floor, all to see a film when we could of just stayed in and watched Netflix, but now we have to wait as well" he continued with.

"Don't blame me, you forgot your jacket and you decided to try and cuddle me in the middle of the street not me you idiot! And it's not the same, being in a cinema is just different, it's so much better" Mark countered with and Jinyoung just stared at him, curiosity filling his deep brown eyes. He had no idea why it was different, it's practically the same thing in both cases you just sit and watch films, but simply in different places. Mark is just weird. But Jinyoung decided to keep this thought to himself instead of voicing it. His best friend looked like a little kid, Jinyoung knew he loved the cinema and decided that the grin Mark had on his face was worth the goose bumps that covered his skin.


The two teens wandered into the confectionary isle next to the till much to Mark's irritation. He knew exactly how overpriced the sweets were at cinemas but no matter how much he complained Jinyoung would never deny his sweet tooth no matter how much it cost him. Mark, already anticipating the time it would take Jinyoung to pick his treats, walked over to the drinks refrigerator and grabbed two coke bottles. Glancing down he saw he'd picked Michael and Jackson, he began laughing to himself at the odd coincidence. He returned to the isle to find Jinyoung no longer looking at the sweets but at the tall male that had entered the cinema with someone who had definitely caught Marks attention in tow. The other had warm brown eyes paired with a killer smile and an even deadlier body in those tight jeans. Though he recognised the one that Jinyoung was staring at, it was Jaebum from his english class at school. Mark snuck up on Jinyoung and tapped him on the shoulder which effectively snapped Jinyoung out of his love struck gaze. "His name is Jaebum, we have English together and he's actually a nice guy despite the rumours of his short temper. Want me to introduce you?" Mark whispered.

Jinyoung rounded to face the other before grabbing Mark's collar "Mark if you dare I swear I will never let you drag me here again and I know you hate coming alone. What interest would he have in me? He doesn't even know I exist." Jinyoung whispered fiercely at the other before letting the fabric slip from his fingers, colour flooded his face whether in anger or embarrassment Mark couldn't tell.

"Dude if he didn't have any interest in you why would he be checking you out?" Mark spoke clearly though the last words faded into laughter as he looked over to see Jaebum not so discreetly raking his eyes over Jinyoung's body. It was definitely red with embarrassment now.

"Just shut up and let me pick you assho-".

"Hey Jaebum" Mark interrupted Jinyoung's colourful speech of about exactly how much of an he was. The two boys had walked over while Jinyoung was talking. Jaebum nodded at Mark, the guy rarely spoke which is why the two of them got on so well.

Jaebum stepped closer to the red head and whispered in his ear "Who's the friend and how the hell have I never seen him before?" He gestured towards Jinyoung as the other was in the middle of an animated discussion with the other guy about which sweets to pick.

"His names Jinyoung, goes to a school in the next town over but we hang out a lot because we grew up together." Mark answered the tall male with vague interest.

"So is he uh-you know? Wait is he even single?" Mark watched with amusement at the usually collected Jaebum flushing red and stumbling over his words as he looked in the direction of Jinyoung laughing with the other guy's arm wrapped around him. Mark then watched a muscle in Jaebum's jaw twitch at the sight. "Damn it Jackson. He said he had dibs on you as soon as we walked in." He spat in the direction of the boy Mark presumed to be called Jackson.

"Calm down Jae, yes he's batting for our team, he's very much single and he thinks you're seriously hot so chill" Mark ended his mediation attempt by laughing at how worked up Jaebum had gotten over his best friend simply being touched by another guy. "And what do you mean dibs? I'm not some possession that guy can just claim. What so because he called dibs I'm automatically gonna date him?".

It was Jaebum's turn to laugh now at how worked up Mark had gotten. "Thanks for the tip about Jinyoung, any advice on how to like flirt with him? I've never talked to the guy before." Jaebum added rather glumly before continuing with "Oh and the one who called dibs is Jackson, he's a bit of an idiot sometimes and ends up putting his foot in his mouth normally, like now for instance with the whole dibs-ing situation. But he never means any harm by it".

Mark thought for a bit before adding "I'm still pissed that he dibs-ed me" before moving on to focusing on his best friends lacking love life. "The idiot forgot his jacket so he's freezing, go buy him cocoa and cuddle him or give him your hoodie. You'll have him wrapped around your finger if you do that, he's a er for anything sweet whether it be literal food or a gesture" The last words were spoken in a whisper as the other two were slowly approaching them. Jaebum quickly muttered a thank you before running off to go get Jinyoung his drink.

Jinyoung and Mark left Jackson to go find Jaebum by himself and went to queue up instead. Jinyoung was quite obviously looking for the tall male that had gotten his attention, though he denied it strongly whenever Mark about it.

"He was asking me about you, wanted to know if you were single" Mark told the other, decidedly leaving out the part when he told Jae that Jinyoung thought he was seriously hot.

"Yeah so was Jackson, but exactly what did you tell Jaebum about me?" Jinyoung asked, try to feign nonchalance and disinterest.

"Screw the Jackson guy, I'm not that interested, the guy tried to 'dibs' me" Mark muttered with a look of disgust written on his face. "I told Jae that you were single and that you were interested, as well as that you think he's seriously hot" the boy added the last part very quietly but Jinyoung still heard it. Mark knew as this time the boys face coloured in anger.

"MARK!" Jinyoung practically screamed. "Why?!" Mark saw Jaebum nearing with Jackson in tow but decided to let Jinyoung continue to rant this time. "You're such an why would you embarrass me like that?! I didn't even say that! Well yeah he's hot as I mean have you seen him, goddamn that jawline could cut glass and the guy is seriously built. So yeah he's hot but you didn't have to tell him that, it makes me seem so superficial! It's not just that that's interested me in him" Jinyoung finished quietly, the words drifting into a whisper and Mark instantly regretted saying that after seeing how upset he had made Jinyoung.

"Jinyoungie I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that I swear" Mark spoke softly to his best friend.

"It's okay, I know you didn't, you can pay for my sweets as an apology." Jinyoung laughed as the other whined about the request. "Now I just have to figure out how to prove to Jaebum that I'm not just interested in his looks" Jinyoung added glumly.

"Well uh, I don't think you have to worry about that" Mark spoke hesitantly, gesturing towards Jaebum standing behind them with the biggest grin on his face that Mark had ever seen on anyone.


Complete panic flooded Jinyoung as Jaebum stepped closer to him, in one hand a cup of cocoa and the other held his hoodie.

"Mark told me you were cold, and that you like cocoa so, uh, here?" Jaebum shoved the two items towards Jinyoung. "And it's okay, I know, I didn't think you were superficial at all".

Jinyoung started beaming as well. He first took the hoodie and put it on, the size was a little big so it hung off his shoulders slightly and his hands disappeared amidst the sleeves. He began giggling and blushing when Jaebum muttered how cute he thought Jinyoung was. He took the drink next and drank a sip. The sweet chocolate taste filled his mouth and it was then that he knew Mark had something to do with this. How else would Jaebum of known that he took his cocoa with about five packets of sugar? Jinyoung threw a glance to his best friend and mouthed a quick thank you, before deciding to be a little braver for once. Looking back at Mark he saw the idiot giving him a little thumbs up as well. Jinyoung closed the distance between him and Jaebum and pressed himself into Jaebum's side.

"Wouldn't want you getting cold as well now would we?" Jinyoung queried while snuggling closer, and a choked out "y-yeah we wouldn't want that" was all he got in response as well as an arm wrapping tightly around his middle.


Mark and Jackson watched the whole ordeal take place as they stood awkwardly next to each other.

"I'm Jackson, I'm Jaebum's friend, you're Mark right? You go to school with him don't you?" Jackson piped up with. He was too loud, and asked too many questions. Mark was already beginning to get irritated.

"Yeah I'm Mark, me and Jae have English together" was his blunt reply.

Jackson was completely oblivious to the irritation in his voice and continued on being his bubbly self. "Is that guy you're friend? Jae wouldn't stop talking about him he thinks he's so cute. What film are you seeing because I want to see it with you!" Jackson beamed at Mark. "Do you have a sweet tooth like Jinyoung? Why did you throw him on the floor after he hugged you on the way here? Do you not like being touched? Is that it?" Jackson ended him onslaught of his question by poking and tapping Mark anywhere he could.

Mark was tired of talking to this guy so he spun around to face Jackson, his face was now mere inches away from the other. He had grabbed the hands currently tapping his flat stomach and had them in a tight grip. "Yes, I do, so don't touch me, how would you feel if I did something that made you uncomfortable purposely? Do you not think before you do anything?" Mark growled into Jackson's face before dropping the hands he once held in a tight grip. He turned and faced away from the now speechless Jackson. He didn't look or talk to Jackson again while in the queue, nor while they were buying the tickets. It wasn't until he had sat down awkwardly next the the cuddling Jaebum and Jinyoung that he noticed there was no longer a dejected looking puppy following him around. Knowing that the other two were too absorbed with each other to even notice that Jackson was gone. Mark got up and walked out of the doors that lead to the screen two in the cinema, and found Jackson sat on the floor right by the old wooden doors.

"What are you doing out here it's about to start?" Mark asked.

"I didn't want to go in, I know you're mad at me and I don't want to ruin it by sitting with you. Jinyoung told me how much you love the cinema and watching films, so yeah I thought I'd stay out here" Jackson replied with quietly with even looking up at Mark.
Mark crouched down to be level with Jackson and snapped his fingers in front of the others face to try and get his attention.

"Yeah you pissed me off but I know you don't mean any harm by it. It's jus-"

"I know. Trust me I know. I know I'm annoying and that I talk to much and say the wrong thing. I know." Jackson interrupted Mark with a sad look on his face. "You just made me nervous. I've heard loads about you and how much of a great guy you are, and the fact that you were apparently interested in me freaked me out." Jackson continued with while sheepishly looking up at a now blushing Mark.

Mark watched Jackson ramble on and the guy looked so sincere about every word that he was saying. Mark would be lying if he said that his heart didn't melt right there on the spot just a little at the scene that was unfolding in front of him. Maybe Jaebum was right about Jackson, he was just an over grown kid that had a tendency to say the wrong thing, but there was never any malicious intent behind the words or actions. He was still a little pissed due to the combination of the dibs-ing and touching incident but the look of guilt on Jackson's face made the anger fade slightly.

A soft smile spread across his face before he grabbed Jackson's hands and whispered "You're ruining it by making me wait out here until you come in with me". There was nothing. Jackson said nothing, he just stared straight at Mark with this look of surprise written clearly across his entire face. Mark as someone who is naturally really quite and prefers silence himself was strangely missing the bubbly Jackson chatting away. Jackson just stayed like that before it finally sunk in exactly what Mark was saying and he immediately shot to his feet dragging Mark up with him. Mark was shocked by the sudden movement and ended up stumbling backwards until he felt arms wrap around his middle. He looked up to find Jackson looking guiltily at him with his arms wrapped tightly around the red head's waist.

"Mark I'm sorry I didn't mean to grab yo-"

"It's fine Jackson" Mark soothed the worried Jackson and placed his hands on the other's chest. "Let's go in, come on" he continued with.

The hands never left Mark's waist though they did migrate to his shoulders when the film started. Mark drank in the next hour and a half of silence as he had a distinct feeling that Jackson's endless chatter would become a permanent thing.


 Word count: 2938

Hello readers! This was the first ever fanfiction that I've written so I hope it was okay and was void of any typos or mistakes, and a massive thank you for all the people that commented voted or subscribed honestly I love each and every one of you!💕Thank you all for reading ☺️