Chapter One

Mr. Anonymous

Jongdae entered the building shivering slightly while putting his umbrella down, shaking off the excess water before he closed it and left it behind the front desk greeting the security guard as usual. He quickly walked down the hallway with a skip in his step humming a cheerful tune before pushing open the glass door that led to his studio.

 

“Where the have you been?! You’re late!” A tiny boy named Baekhyun yelled while glaring in Jongdae’s direction.

 

“Yeah… I got distracted by a dog, sorry”

 

“Don’t apologize to me, apologize to Kyungsoo! He’s been chewing my head for the last twenty minutes because of you!”

 

“Geez Baek, I don’t need to know what he bites and doesn’t bite in your life”

 

“Wha-!”

 

“Well, gotta run. My show is starting soon”

 

“Screw you, you reptilian mother f-“

 

Chen walked into the studio and closed the door cutting off Baekhyun’s ranting before he walked behind the sound technicians’ crew which was composed by Suho, Lay and Chanyeol. Suho sighed loudly while Chanyeol chuckled.

“Late again, we start in five” said Lay as he played with a few buttons preparing everything for the show to start.

 

Chen sprinted out of the sound proof room and stepped into the radio room where the magic of the radio happened. He removed his jacket and threw it under the desk, he took the head phones, slipped them on and sat down just in time to see the little electrical sign that said ‘On Air’ flash red.

 

“Hey little Dinos, were back again today with another segment of ‘Hatched: The life before swag’ You’re here with your favorite host ‘Chen Almighty’ and today’s schedule is filled with many activities me and my team have prepared for you guys” Chen glanced at the glass window seeing that Baekhyun was already inside the sound proofed room holding a paper that had written down all the things they were having on the show today.

 

“Hey, what’d’ you know? We’re having an exclusive interview with everyone’s favorite actor/comedian who  –you guessed it, is the Chinese hottie Luhan who will be co-hosting with me during the rest of the show. Later on were having a talk with the wushu instructor, Huang Zitao, about the importance of knowing self-defense and in the reader’s corner we’re discussing the book ‘Painful Truth: Why I’m Better Than You’ by the new, foreign author, Kris Wu. After that we’re closing the program with our weekly segment of ‘Dino Time’ were you guys can call us and ask us questions about anything you want. You can contact us at XXX-XXX-XXXXX completely free of charge. Lines will be open from 6:00 to 6:30 and please remember to turn down the volume of your radios and I’ll hear from you in a few”

 

*~*~

 

 

“And cut! We’re back in 2 minutes” Suho said as they went on a commercial break after finishing the readers corner accompanied by Luhan and Chen simply took off his head phones and leaned back, stretching his back.

 

“Well, it was certainly nice working with you” The Chinese man said smiling brightly as he stood up from his chair. Chen looked up at him and shook his hand.

 

“Same here man. Good luck with your latest movie”

 

“Thank you once again for having me on your show, I never miss one of your segments” Luhan said enthusiastically and Chen smiled at him.

 

“No problem, you’re welcome back any time”

 

They bid their good byes before Luhan’s manager picked him up.

 

Baekhyun walked into the room Chen was in and removed all of the papers Chen had displayed on the table.

 

“Baek could you be a sweetheart and get me some coffee?” Chen smiled and batted his eyes at him but the male only rolled his eyes.

 

“We hired you an assistant for that” he replied and he stacked the paper up in order and placed them in a file.

 

“But the guy is new and doesn’t know how to prepare my coffee”

 

“Chen, he’s been working here for three months and he’s the one who always gets your coffee. And for the record we don’t make the coffee, the vending machine does. You should seriously sit down and get to know him. He’s actually very nice” Baekhyun raised his eyebrows at Chen’s antics before walking around the small room cleaning here and there.

 

“How was I supposed to know that Minsoo’s worked here for three months? And that you’ve never legit made me coffee?” At this Baekhyun turned around and if he had long hair he would’ve slapped a few es with it. Mainly Chen.

 

“Do you seriously not know the name of your assistant?”

 

“Wasn’t it Minjook?”

 

“NO!! Jongdae, do you ever think about anyone other than yourself?!”

 

“Um… no?”

 

“GOD! This is why you don’t have any friends outside of work! You’ll die a ! And you know what?! I’m glad! I don’t want the world to face Chen Jr. because I know he’ll simply be a copy of you!” And with that Baekhyun slammed the door shut.

 

Chen just looked at Baekhyun mutely yell in the audio room making Lay flinch and Chanyeol cover his ears. Suho tried to calm the diva down but there was no such thing when he got riled up because of Chen.

 

Then Chen thought about Baekhyun’s last question.

 

And you know what?! I’m glad! I don’t want the world to face Chen Jr. because I know he’ll simply be a copy of you!

 

Not that one.

 

Jongdae, do you ever think about anyone other than yourself?!

 

Jongdae then leaned back on his chair, smiling gently while looking down at his table; twiddling a pencil between his fingers.

 

Well… There is one person other than myself I like to think about

 

And like that he slipped on his headphones once again and waited the last five seconds eagerly as they started his favorite part of the show.

 

3, 2, 1

 

“Welcome back to the best part of the show ‘Dino Time’ where we can finally have some alone time. Lines are now open and- oh, yay, we have our first caller of the day- and please remember to keep the volume of your radios down. As addictive as listening to myself speak is, it turns annoying when you leave the volume up just so you can hear yourself” Chen took the pencil he was playing with and pressed down the button that said #1.

 

“This is Chen’s ‘Dino time’ hello” less than a second passed by before the caller answered.

 

Hello?”

 

“Hey, you reached Chen’s ‘Dino Time’ What’s your question?” Chen hiked his leg on top of the table and placed the pencil under his nose, holding it with his top lip simulating a mustache as he waited for a reply.

 

Um… ok, the thing is that I’m two timing my girl and she found out very recently, she confronted the other one and it’s been a very heated fight every time they see each other with me and I don’t know what to do to make them stop

 

“Well damn” Chen looked a little irritated by the story but he’s supposed to be as objective as possible, “well, you should have thought about the consequences before your wife found out about your lover”

 

Um… It’s more like my lover found out about my wife

 

At that Chen almost flipped the sheet of paper on his desk because the table is too heavy. Lazy.

 

“So instead of two timing your wife, you’re making it like your two timing your ?” that part was bleeped out, “You know what you should’ve done? Asked your wife for a divorce before you decided to jump under another girl’s skirt. I give you thumbs down for lack of intelligence, a minus three for the cliché plot of your life and a kick in the just because I hate cheaters. You’re getting your served to you when she files in the divorce and I hope that teaches you a lesson. You have received no Dino cookies and made me annoyed. Next caller!” Chen then pressed the button for the second line.

 

“You have reached ‘Dino Time’ Moshi Moshi~” At that very moment the door of his room was opened and he saw his –apparently three month’s old, assistant bring in a cup of coffee along with a few packets of sugar. Chen smiled up at him and waved him over.

 

In the background he could hear that the person in the line had effectively failed to lower the volume of their radio. He turned to his assistant but the boy was already walking out door before he ran out at full speed from the audio room.

 

“This caller is M.I.A and retarded, thumbs down for being slow. Next caller!”

He pressed the button for line three.

 

“You’ve reached Chen’s ‘Dino Time’ Yoboseyo”

 

Chen waited but the line was silent. There was no radio in the background so it motivated him to not hang up so quickly.

 

“This is ‘Dino Time’ can you hear me?” He took a sip of his coffee and smiled at the familiar warm taste. In the background he could hear hurried footsteps and then the noise of someone lifting up the phone.

 

H- Hello?” Chen smiled at the even more familiar stutter of his favorite caller.

 

“Oh, it’s my favorite caller. Hello Mr. Anon” Chen then put his coffee down and leaned closer to the mic with a small smile on his lips.

 

Hi, sorry I took a bit to answer; my boss had me do an errand

 

“Ooh, taking a break from work I see. What can I help you with today?”

 

Um, well, the thing is that I like this… guy” Chen’s heart clenched the slightest bit.

 

“Keep going”

 

He works with me, he’s very… I don’t want to say the word but, he’s very self-centered. Everything in his life is either about him or his work

 

“Sounds like an annoying guy”

From the other side of the glass Baekhyun gave Chen a pointed look.

 

Yeah… But he’s a really nice guy; he’s just too wrapped up in his own world to show it

 

“Well… to me he sounds conceited”

 

Chen heard a thud and when he looked towards the glass Baekhyun was glaring at him with a sign that said ‘STOP’

Chen scrunched his nose and sighed but decided to follow instructions. After all he’s supposed to be objective no matter who he’s talking to.

 

Mr. Anon laughed adorably and it was noticeable he was trying to muffle his giggles, “he is actually. He’s conceited, moronic, loud…

 

“Aha, keep going” Chen smiled a bit more awaiting more things that brought the guy’s reputation down.

 

He’s kinda like you

 

“Oh, he must be a y honey then” Chen fake pouted but that was wiped away by a smile when he heard Mr. Anon’s breathy laugh.

 

And I really want to get to know him more but I’m scared. He barely notices my existence when I’m around and it only seems like I’m good for doing errands

 

“Ok then, first of all, forget that idea that you’re only good for running errands. If he’s as wrapped in his own things like you said, then he never really notices anybody except –maybe, his boss. Relate to him with something he’s really passionate about, unless it’s sports. Forming a bond through sports is a guaranteed friendzone” Chen glanced at the sound room seeing that Lay was showing Suho a re-run of his favorite soccer match while Suho smiled awkwardly at everything the thin Chinese man said.

“Second, be open about what you think. Don’t aimlessly agree to everything he says” He glanced yet again into the other room and saw Baekhyun animatedly nodding to what Chanyeol was saying, “third, if he’s not responding to your signs, drop him. Don’t go around following one guy who can’t appreciate you for who you are. Ok love? Call us back to let us know how you’re going”

 

“Will do, Chen”

 

“Ok, and now we go with our next caller” Chen leaned back with his arms behind his head and placed both of on the desk once again before pressing the button for the next line with his heal.

 

“You’ve reached ‘Dino Time’ with Chen how can I help you?”

 

 

 

 

Chen put his hanged his head phones on top of the mic before he stood up to stretched and sighed contently when his back let out a soft crack.

 

“Another day and another job well done. I’ll see everybody on Monday” Suho said before waving his goodbyes. Chen sighed and threw himself on the chair, putting his feet on the table again before pulling his cap down until it covered his eyes.

 

 

“I think the show could have been better” Chen jumped and sat straight on his chair removing his cap only to be find another male leaning against the door frame with a smirk on his face.

 

 

Chen blinked at him trying to remember his face. Then it clicked in his mind who this person was; the same one that brought him his coffee earlier that day.

 

 

“Well, excuse you but I did great” Chen stuck his tongue out at the male and leaned closer to the desk picking up some stray papers and staking them up on his desk.

 The boy chuckled before entering the room completely walking until he reached Chen’s desk, he leaned against it with his hands casually in his pockets.

 

“Oh really?” the boy smiled and Chen stared at him for a few seconds. The boy was short, chubby cheeks, doe eyes, dyed brown hair was spiked upwards but still looked soft to touch, he wore a crisp white shirt with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows and a black vest with a gray tie and a pair of black skinny jeans with a studded belt.

 

 

No wonder Baekhyun said he’s nice. He looks mighty fine too

 

“Fine. In your expert opinion what does my show need to make it more popular than it already is?”

 

 

“It needs less cursing” The brunette chuckled and Chen waved him off.

 

 

“Oh please, cursing is the appeal of this show” Chen smiled and the other just laughed.

 

 

“Oh, I see, arraso” the other male said as he nodded to himself while Chen finally finished organizing his things.

 

“So…Mi-….” hold on a second, Chen doesn’t know his assistant’s name. He knows it starts with ‘Mi’

 

 

Will the other notice if calls him something other than kid?

 

 

“-iiiiiiiii”

 

 

Darn it why doesn’t he ever listen to Baekhyun.

 

 

“-iiiiiii”

 

Chen thought faster than he ever had before he finally got it.

 

 

“ –iiiiinie Baozi”

 

 

“…What?” The boy asked out loud looking confused at whatever he was just called while Chen brushed it off with an apathetic stare.

 

 

“Want to hang out?” Chen made no expressions and just stared at the boy.

 

“Wha-“

 

“There is this new café on the corner of 55th

 

“I- I-”

 

“Good, let’s go” Chen awkwardly stood up quickly and made his way to the door, turning around swiftly making the other jump.

 

“We haven’t got all night, chop chop” and just like that he started walking again.

The boy hesitated before he noticed he was being abandoned and that’s when he jumped into action following the radio host quickly.

 

 

 

I gotta get his name, I gotta get his name, Baekhyun will break my glorious face, I gotta get his name

 

Chen stared at the ground as he walked out in a hurry accidentally ignoring the calls of the security officer from behind the front desk.

 

 

Chen sped outside turning around in time to see his assistant running out of the building at full speed, with a key chain between his teeth, barely putting on his jacket and his backpack hanging on his elbows making the getting dressed part a bit harder.

 

Chen stared at the adorable scene and considered recording it so it could go viral on YouTube because adorable.

 

Also because money.

 

 

But mostly adorable.

 

 

 

“Jongdae! Where are we going?!” The brunette shouted out of breath and he leaned down to greedily take in big gulps of air.

 

“To the café on the corner of 55th” and then Jongdae turned around yet again taking calmer steps through the crowd but then a drop fell on his nose. He froze up a bit wiping it off before another one too it’s place and when he decided to look up he noticed how dark the clouds were and he remembered they had some heavy rain for the next two days.

 

Thank god he had his lucky umbrella with him-

 

 

 

 

Where is my umbrella?

 

 

 

He dug his hand deeper in his messenger bag but his hands came in contact with nothing but paper, pens, some gum and an old chocolate wrapper.

 

‘Seriously where is my umbrella’

 

And then he remembered the faint voice of Junho, the security guard, yelling after him with something that sounded a lot like

 

“Sir you forgot your umbrella!”

 

And Chen being too wrapped up in his own matter totally blocked Junho out.

 

“This is great, ing fantabulous” he whispered to himself as the rain drops began to hit his skin harder with new found weight, he simply sighed and closed his eyes ready for the soaking of a life time.

 

 

 

Any moment now he was going to be one cold wet honey.

 

 

The rain drops seem to have stopped but they probably just getting ready to blast him with full speed. He is one very hot guy so weak rain drops will just evaporate on his skin or so he like to believe.

 

 

Any moment now.

 

 

 

“Uh…… Chen?” a small hesitant voice said and when Chen opened his eyes and looked up there was a blue umbrella over his head and when he looked to the side he saw the small assistant person MIN-whatever his name is looking at him with raised eyebrows.

 

“Can we go now? We’re kinda standing in the middle of the rain” Min assistant said shifting from foot to foot as the cold water started to be absorbed by his jeans making it uncomfortable.

 

 

Chen pursed his lips up in a thinking manner as he took in his surroundings.

 

 

Rain, Min person, umbrella, rain.

 

“You have done very well chap. Now onward to the café” Chen took a hold of the umbrella’s handle pushing Min person’s off and started to go on his way.

 

The poor boy jolted when the cold water suddenly hit the parts of his skin that were exposed and he ran after the other male trying to catch up and cover himself from the rain.

 

“Chen!! Hey-… WAIT UP!!!”

 

--------------------------------

A chapter the same day I publish the title. Yaaasssssss.