end

Meeting You Once Again

The last thing Taemin remembered is the pain from losing the last air he’s been holding in and the bubbles all around him, wobbling like little jellyfishes as they rise.

Minutes ago, or seconds, he’s confident he’ll live if he jumps into the water. He told himself he’d rather swim and let the waves carry him to the shore than die on that sinking ship. He’s a good swimmer, he learned how at young age.

But, things turn out bad. His back was hit by a wooden object and before he could jump, someone pulled his leg which hit the edge of the ship. Just like that, his left leg was broken and he fell into the water. So now, he’s sinking faster than the ship. What a luck he has he thought to himself.

After letting go all of the last air he has, and after water eats his insides, all went blank and then he’s out.

 

---

“Stupid humans.” Key said.

“Don’t say that.” Minho frowned.

“Why do you keep on defending them?”

“I lived as a human once remember? They’re kind.” Minho explained.

“You’re saying your food is nice.” Key chuckles. Mocking.

“I don’t eat human. Never have. Never will.” He said before swimming off, leaving Key alone.

He’s not planning to help any of those humans despite defending them earlier. It’s too troublesome and it’s not like he can let them know Merman really does exist. Their kind would get hunted and annihilated for sure. He just wants to know what’s happening, that’s all.

He watched as the ship sinks and he watched a lot of human jumping into the water to save themselves. The next island is too far and he knows no one will be able to survive. He’s ready to go back to his home deep down the ocean after sympathizing with the humans when he saw this guy.

His breath was taken and he suddenly felt the need to dive underwater to breathe. He did that then he went back up to once again, see the guy who took his breath away. For a merman, that’s dangerous, he could die from that.

He watched the guy made a sign of cross, he knows that sign. He saw humans do that a lot of times when he’s still living with them. It means the guy is praying. Minho stayed there watching the guy’s every move. He saw how the guy hurt himself and how the poor young man falls into the water weakly.

He really has no plan to save the young man when he saw him sink deeper. But, when he saw how the poor guy collapses his body just moved on its own and before he knew it, he’s swimming to the guy. He doesn’t even know he could swim that fast. His heart was thumping so much and he feels scared that the guy might die. That’s a first for him but he brushed off the thought and focused on saving the poor guy first.

 

---

Taemin spits up a lot of water. He felt the pressure of someone’s hand on his chest. He slowly opens his eyes, his lungs still hurting and his whole body is trembling from fear. He almost died. If it wasn’t for his savior he’s sure he’s already on his way to heaven. He coughs some more, he’s so tired he doesn’t want to move his body.

“I’m glad you woke up.” a man’s voice. It was so deep. It was so nice to the ears. It’s like chocolate melting into the heat. “I healed your leg. You’ll be fine now.” The mysterious guy said.

Taemin really wants to see his savior. He wants to thank him and…..

“Did he just said he healed my leg?” he asked himself mentally. “How?”

He forced himself to sit; he really, really, really, wants to see the guy who saved him. He wants to know how he was able to heal him. He immediately believed the guy because he cannot feel any pain on his broken leg.

“Don’t force yourself to sit or stand up.” His savior said. “You’re basically dead a minute ago. You need to rest for a while.”

“I…..” Taemin said in a weak voice. “I want to see you.” There was a long pause, silence before the guy talked again.

“I don’t think that’s a good idea.” The guy said.

That is when Taemin found the strength to push himself up. He heard the man groan in panic and when he’s already sitting up; his savior is nowhere to be found. Just like that, he’s gone. Taemin would be lying if he said he’s not scared. He is scared. How did the guy disappear that fast? There’s only water in front of him and sand behind him.

“Hello~” Taemin called out. “Where are you? Please let me see you.”

“You don’t have too.” His savior said. “You don’t have to thank me. I saved you because I want to.”

Taemin was so glad that at least his savior is talking to him. It would be scarier if he didn’t. On that dark island and no sign of any souls, yes, it would be so scary. He might survive the sinking ship but he wont’ be able to survive a heart attack.

“I really want to. You saved me. If it wasn’t for you I would be dead by now.” Taemin said. He listens carefully so he’ll find out where the voice is coming. “Please. I want to thank you properly. You even healed my broken leg. I don’t know how you did that but…”

“It’s not completely healed yet. Stay on the water.”

“Why?”

“Just do as I say.”

“I won’t if you don’t show yourself.” Again. Silence. “Please. I really want to see you.” Taemin said, almost begging.

“You’ll be scared.”

“I won’t. I’ve already seen the scariest beast on earth. I’m sure you won’t be worst.”

“I am worst.”

“You’re not. I don’t look at physical appearance. What’s inside is more important for me.” Taemin assured the guy. There was silence again and after a while, there’s a figure on the water moving nearer and nearer to him. He stopped on the darkest part of the water and Taemin cannot see him anymore.

“You have to promise me one thing first.”

“Anything.” Taemin said.

“You cannot let anyone know whatever it is you’re going to see or I might need to hunt you down and kill you myself.” His savior said. Well, that’s complicated. Saving him only to kill him when he told others what he’s about to see.

“I promise.” He said. Not sure if he’s getting himself in serious trouble or not.

“Okay.” The guy starts moving towards him again. “Tell me if you’re scared and I’ll go.”

“I won’t get……” Taemin’s eyes were suddenly bigger than a saucer and his jaw dropped, his whole body starts to tremble and he his breath was taken. “You……you have a tail.” He blinked 3-4 times as he pokes out his head nearer to the man in front of him to make sure what he’s seeing is real.

“You cannot let anyone know I exist.” The guy said.

“You’re a guy and you have a tail.” Taemin said as if he’s not stating the obvious.

“I’m a merman. Remem…”

“I won’t tell anyone. I promise.” Taemin did the cross-my-heart thing which made the merman chuckles. “What’s your name?”

“Minho.” He answered. “Would you tell me yours?”

“I’m Taemin.”

“Taemin. It’s a beautiful name.” the merman smiled. Taemin swears his heart just skip a beat. “How do you feel? Can you move your leg now?”

“How’d you heal me?” Taemin asks as he tries to move his leg slowly.”

“Water healed you; I just helped to transfer the energy to your leg.”

“How?”

“I it.” Minho said. Taemin felt his cheeks burn from the embarrassment. A merman, a beautiful (to be exact) merman his leg.

“I….I can move it.” He said.

“Good.” Minho smiled once again. “There’s a village behind those rocks. You can go there and ask for help.” He was about to turn around to face the ocean again when Taemin groans. When he turned around the young man was trying to stand up to walk to him.

“You….you’re going to leave me here?” he asked scared. Minho felt a sharp pain on his chest after seeing Taemin’s scared expression.

“I cannot stay. Land is too dangerous. Someone might see me.” He explained.

“It’s night. No one would come. Please stay with me for a while. I don’t like the dark. Please.” He begged. Minho stared for a minute or so before sighing.

“You’re not scared of me?” he asked Taemin.

“It’s not like you’ll eat me right?” Taemin asked back.

“We feed on humans.” Minho said honestly.

“You…you won’t eat me.”

“What makes you think that?”

“If you want to eat me, when I was drowning was the best chance. But, you saved me instead. You’re kind. You won’t eat me.” Taemin said.

“I never ate a human. I feed on see plants and fish occasionally.” Minho said as he crawls to the land. “Are you sure you’re not scared of me?”

“Yes. I’m sure.” Taemin said. “Do you….need help?” he asked coz Minho is having a hard time crawling to him.

“I’m good, give me a second.” Minho smiled. After a while, Minho is there by his side, sitting like him. The only difference is he has legs sprawled out on the sand and Minho has a tail.

“It’s beautiful.” Taemin said while staring at it. Minho chuckles.

“You’re a strange human.”

“Why?”

“The last time a merman was spotted on land, he was called a monster.”

“Oh~”

“Oh~”

Taemin suddenly felt bad for the creature. Well, they feed on humans so of course humans are scared of them. It just happened that this merman beside him saved his life so he’s not scared. It’s normal that they’re called a monster. It’s not everyday you’ll see a half man, half fish. They’re considered a fairytale, something unreal and a figment of imagination.

“You don’t have to feel bad for us you know.” Minho suddenly comforts him like he can read what he was thinking. “We kinda deserve the name.”

“Not you.” Taemin said. “Can I touch it?” he suddenly asked.

“My scales are sharp; you might hurt your hand.”

“I want to touch it.” Taemin said determined.

“Oh~” Minho stared at Taemin who won’t look anywhere but his tail. Guess the young man is curious. “Go ahead then. I’ll try not to move.”

Before Taemin could touch it, Minho heard noises. He stopped Taemin’s hand and told him someone’s coming. Taemin panicked a little coz they would see Minho. They might kill him if they do. Minho on the other hand stayed still for 3-4 seconds then he suddenly put his hands on Taemin’s face.

“Remember your promise.” Were the last words Taemin heard before he’s unconscious?

 

---

When Taemin woke up he’s already on his room. He’s covered on blanket and his brother Jinki is beside him holding his hand. He looked around. He asked himself if it was all a dream. Maybe he survived on his own and Minho is not real. The merman is not real. He moved a little which woke Jinki up.

“Taemin!?” he asked in a groggy voice. When he saw Taemin smiling at him, he cried. “I’m so worried. Thank God you’re awake. I’ll call the doctor.” He said before running to the door still crying. Taemin just giggles, his older brother is cute sometimes.

When Jinki came back the family doctor, Kim Jonghyun is together with him. He examined Taemin and asked a lot of questions. When he’s done checking him up, he made a thumbs up to Jinki and said Taemin is all good. Taemin said he’s hungry so Jinki immediately ran to the kitchen to get him food.

Jonghyun told Taemin how someone found him on the shore and he’s the only survivor from the sinking ship. He asked how Temin managed to swim to the island when it’s like, 3 more islands far from where the sinking ship. He just told him he cannot remember. Deep inside him he’s happy because that means Minho is real. Minho saved him. A merman saved him. But, he cannot tell anyone coz he promised him.

 

---

2 weeks passed since all that happened. Everyone is still amazed how Taemin survived and they called him the Miracle Boy. Taemin on the other hand told Jinki he wants to go back to the island where he found him. He said he wants to thank the one who saved him. It’s true.

Jinki being a good brother he is said yes to Taemin but in a condition that he’s coming too and Jonghyun too. Taemin thinks his brother is too overprotective sometimes but he kinda likes it. It makes him feel save and loved. He said okay then after another week of preparation they went back to the island using a private airplane. Jinki said he won’t allow Taemin to ride on a ship again. Ever.

The first thing Taemin did when they arrived at the island was take care of his “SAID” business. He thanked the person who found him. He’s really thankful for what he did but he’s more thankful to Minho who he’ll find later that night. He somehow convinced Jinki to stay at the island for 3-4 days. He said something about a vacation and Jinki agreed after Jonghyun backed him up saying he could use a 4 day vacation from work.

That night just like what Taemin planned, he managed to sneak out. Both Jinki and Jonghyun are hard to wake up once they fall asleep. Taemin ran to the shore trying to find the big rocks, his only marker. When he found it he swore he’s the happiest person alive. He didn’t climb it because it’s too dangerous. He walked around it instead and luckily, he found his way out.

There he is, standing on the same place where he and Minho sat before. He’s so excited. He wants to see Minho so bad. Tell him stories and ask a lot of things. He has the energy now and the time, unlike before. He prepared himself, took a lot of breath before shouting Minho’s name, hoping the Merman would hear him and come to him.

He shouted his name for 30 minutes or so. He doesn’t want to give up yet. He’s determined to see Minho again. He WANTS to see him again. Actually he prepared himself; he knows Minho won’t show up that easily. But, he already told himself that he won’t give up no matter what. He has 4 nights; he’ll make it worth it.

Taemin stayed there for hours, calling Minho’s name, sometimes taking a break then shout again. He walked around the shore shouting Minho name. When he finally got tired, he took out a sandwich (which he grabbed on the table earlier) then ate it. He stayed there waiting for Minho until the roosters can be heard from afar. He sighs in disappointment but smiled again thinking, he still has 3 nights.

 

---

“Oh~ he’s finally leaving.” Key said amused.

“Good.” Minho just said as he watch Taemin disappearing on the dark.

“He’s gone.”

“I’m not blind okay.” Minho snaps.

“You cannot let him see you again.” Key said. Minho groans.

“I know.”

“I didn’t tell anyone before but if you let him see you again, this time, I’ll tell everyone.” Key warns. Minho didn’t answer. “Did you…”

“I heard you okay.” Minho said before swimming off. Key smirked before following Minho.

“The human is beautiful.” He teased Minho more.

“Don’t follow me.” Minho frowns.

“We’re going to the same place. I’m not following you.” Key rolled his eyes. Suddenly Minho turned the other way, Key followed him again.

“This is not the way home. STOP FOLLOWING ME.” He snapped once again. Key has been getting on his nerves since he told him about Taemin. Now he’s regretting telling his best friend, it was a wrong decision.

“I just want to make sure you’re not going to the human. You’ll get us all killed if they found out about us.” Key said. Minho stopped swimming to face Key.

“I’m not going to him okay. I just want to be alone so PLEASE leave me alone.” Minho said before swimming off again. This time Key didn’t follow him.

Key smirked as he watches Minho swim off. When Minho is already nowhere to be seen, he laughed so hard. He’s just really teasing Minho, he has no plan of telling anyone at all. The fact that he didn’t tell anyone the first time will made him an accomplice to breaking the rules and he’s not up for the punishment. There is no way he’s gonna let his beautiful self get punished.

Minho just keeps on swimming, some of the mermaids and merman he knows greeted him but his mind is too busy thinking about Taemin to notice any of those who greeted him. He still cannot believe Taemin comeback to meet him again.

He heard it the first time Taemin called out his name and he immediately swim to the familiar place. It just happened that Key saw him and followed him there. He’s not planning to show himself to Taemin again, he just wants to see how the beautiful young man is doing. He just wants to make sure he’s okay.

When he saw him though, there’s suddenly a strong urge inside him, pushing him to let Taemin see him. To let Taemin know he really does exist. Truth to be told, he was about to swim to Taemin when Key came. His best friend reminded him of the consequences which made him stop. He denied it to Key when the other asked if he’s about to swim to Taemin. He said he’s about to swim back home, not to swim to the human.

Minho seriously and honestly feels happy that Taemin did not give up calling his name. Taemin believes he exists, that’s enough for him. If it wasn’t for Key who keeps on reminding him what might happen if someone, that is not Taemin saw him he’s sure he already showed himself to the young man.

While he’s swimming he keeps on thinking if he should show himself to Taemin in case he comes back and calls out for him again. He really really really wants to talk to him again. He wants to let Taemin touch his tail. He wants Taemin to touch him and he wants to touch Taemin. But, he’s scared. He doesn’t want to bee seen. Key is right, it’s too dangerous and risky.

 

---

“Taem. Come on wake up. We have to eat breakfast.” Jonghyun tries to wake the younger up.

“Let him sleep some more.” Jinki said. “He’s still growing.”

“He’s 23 Jinki Hyung. There’s no way he’s still growing.” Jonghyun said chuckling. “You’re spoiling him too much.”

“He’s the only family I have so of course I’m spoiling him.” Jinki said. Jonghyun just mutters ‘whatever’ before walking to the older. They left Taemin to the room since he won’t wake up. They went to the local market to buy food.

Taemin woke up after 2 hours. Jinki and Jonghyun are still not back. They left him a note saying they’re off to the market and if he’s hungry, there’s bread on the table. Taemin is still groggy and his soul is still not with him when the door slams open. Jinki and Jonghyun bought a lot. He groaned but stands up anyway to help his brothers.

“Thanks.” Jinki said.

“We tried to wake you up.” Jonghyun added.

“Sorry. I had a hard time sleeping last night.” He lied. In reality he’s still sleepy coz he stayed up all night.

“You can sleep more if you want. It’s not like we have something important to do.” Jinki said.

“I thought we’ll go fishing today?” Jonghyun protested.

“It means we’re going to be on a boat. Taemin and Boat on one sentence is not going to happen.” Jinki said and Taemin laughed.

“Right.” Jonghyun said defeated.

“I’ll go to the market instead I want to walk around for some souvenirs. Jongin will kill me if I don’t get him anything.” Taemin said.

“Want to borrow the car?” Jinki asked.

“Is it far?”

“20 minutes by foot.” Jonghyun answered.

“I’ll walk then.” Taemin said.

“Okay. Go take a bath now while we’re cooking breakfast.” Jinki said.

“WE’RE? I’m going to cook too?” Jonghyun asked.

“Of course you are. You’re going to help me yes?” Jinki smiled. Jonghyun once again sighs in defeat. Taemin just chuckles before going to the bathroom.

 

---

“Key have you seen my brother?” Kris asked.

“Minho?” Yifan nods. “The last time I saw him he’s swimming west.”

“What’s he gonna do there?”

“I don’t know, maybe he’s going to play with his shark friends again.” Key laughs.

“He’s crazy. No one ever befriended the sharks.” Yifan shook his head.

“Well, your brother did.” Key said laughing before swimming off.

 

---

Taemin is walking around the market when he saw this water globe on the window of one shop. He eyed the shop; it looks old and the displays all looks like an antique. He went inside; he really wants to see the water globe up close.

“Hello?” he called out. After a while a grandma appeared.

“Hello Young Man.” She greeted him. Taemin smiled.

“Can I see the water globe on the front window?” he asked.

“Oh~ I’m sorry young man. I’m not selling that.” She said in a weak voice. Taemin pouts, he’s so disappointed. He really wants the water globe. “But….if you want I can let you see it.”

“Really??” Taemin brightened up.

“Just because you’re beautiful young man.” The grandma smiled.

“Thank you so much.” He said. That was the very first time he was happy that he’s called beautiful. The grandma took the water globe and hand it to Taemin.

“Carefully okay?” she said with a smile. Taemin smiled back with a nod.

“It’s beautiful.” He said.

“Yes. It is.” The grandma said with a longing on his voice.

“Did you make this?” he asked.

“No. My husband did.” She said.

“Oh~! Do you think Grandpa can make me one? I’ll pay no matter how much. We’re here for 3 more days.” Taemin said excitedly. The grandma smiled but she looks sad.

“I’m sorry young man. Grandpa died years ago.” She said.

“Oops.” Taemin whispered to himself. “I’m so sorry.” He said.

“It’s okay.” She said. “You really like it don’t you?”

“Yes. The merman inside kinda looks like my friend. It reminds me of him.” Taemin said.

“I see.” The grandma smiled.

“Well, you’re not selling it so I can’t do anything.” Taemin gave the water globe back to the grandma. Can I look around? I want to buy a gift for a friend.” He said.

“Go ahead young man.” The grandma said with a happy smile. “It’s been so long since someone came into the shop. I hope you find something you like.” She said. Taemin just ignored it with a nod before walking around the shop.

He’s right; most of the souvenirs inside the shop are antiques. Everything is so beautiful and mysterious. He settled on books about mermaids, he kinda likes it too, maybe he’ll read it first before giving it to Jongin as a gift. Jongin loves reading so he’s sure he’ll like it. The book is amusing him; the title is “Are Mermaids REAL?” He wants to tell the author so bad that, “YES, MERMAIDS AND MERMANS ARE REAL.”

He purchased it, he didn’t get his change. He told the grandma he enjoyed looking around so much and maybe he’ll come back another day to buy more. The grandma thanked him with a smile. When he went out of the shop, some locals are staring at him.

“He came out from the witch’s shop.”

“He’s lucky he’s still alive.”

“How did he manage to get out?”

Those are just some of what he heard. So the locals think that the grandma is a witch. Explains what the grandma said about her shop not getting any customers for so long now. He felt bad for the grandma. There’s no way she’s a witch. She’s too kind to be one.

 

---

“Oh! You’re back!” Kyungsoo said. “Yifan is looking for you.”

“Why?” Minho asked.

“I don’t know.” The younger shrugs.

“Thank you for letting me know.” Minho smiled to his brother before swimming off to find his older brother.

 

---

“Welcome back.” Jonghyun greeted him as soon as he opened the door.

“Did you catch a lot?” he asked.

“Of course.” The Doctor bragged.

“Where’s Jinki hyung?”

“He called Sungjae and the others so we can all eat dinner together. We’re going bonfire.”

“OH!!! I like that.” Taemin said excitedly. It’s been too long since they grilled fish on a bonfire.

Not too long and Jinki came with Sungjae and his family and friends, they’re the ones who helped Taemin before. They went near the beach and set up the woods and set it on fire. Taemin and Sungjae volunteered to clean the fish Jinki and Jonghyun caught. There’s a lot and they’re big, HUGE even.

After the fun dinner everyone went home. Everyone is tired and they all just want to have a rest, sleep. Once again, Taemin pretended he’s asleep and when he’s sure Jinki and Jonghyun are sleeping, he sneaked out.

 

---

“He’s calling for you again.” Key said.

“And what are you doing here again?” Minho asked.

“I should be the one asking that. What are you doing here again? Are you going to show yourself to him?”

“Of course not.” Minho denied. “I just want to see him.”

“Are you sure about that?” he asked.

“Yes. I’m sure.” Minho said. They just watched Taemin who keeps on walking around while shouting Minho’s name in silence until Key talked again.

“Yifan was looking for you earlier.” He said.

“I already saw him.”

“And…?”

“He asked me if I can go to mother again to deliver father’s message.” He said. “He doesn’t want to go coz he despise humans and he doesn’t want Kyungsoo to go.

“So he wants you to go instead coz you lived as a human once?”

“Yes.” Minho said.

“Are you going?” Key asked.

“I don’t know. Mother told me never to go back on land again.” Minho sighs. “But, father is dying. He wants to see her.”

“You should go.” Key said. Minho stops swimming to look to his best friend.

“Meet that Taemin guy too while you’re on land. Tell him to forget about you coz it’s dangerous.”

“But….”

“But what?”

“I don’t know how to face mother after a long time.” Minho confessed.

“Do you want me to come with you?” Key suddenly asked.

“You’ll do that?”

“Why not? Maybe after this I’ll figure out why you never ate a human before.” Key said chuckling.

“So you’re just curious!” Minho playfully hits Key who’s laughing.

“Kinda.” He said. “So? I’m up. 3 birds in one stone. You’ll get to see your mother, you’ll get to deliver your father’s message and you’ll get to see the beautiful human”

“Okay.” Minho nods. “We’re going.” He said.

“Good!!! Now let’s go back and get them black pearls.” Key said excitedly. That is gonna be his first time on the land after all. He’ll finally know how it feels to have legs. Minho took one more glance to Taemin before following Key.

 

---

“Another no show huh~” Taemin said as he sighs.

He stayed all up again waiting for Minho so show up. Good thing he bought the book, he got a little distracted. He finished it so maybe he’ll go back to the shop at the local market to get the other books he saw there. He stood up and stretched out his hands. He stared at the ocean one last time before sighing again and walking back.

 

---

“Why are you coming too Key?” Yifan asked.

“Minho’s scared to face your mother after a long time. He needs me.” Key said. Yifan looked at Minho who looked down.

“I promised to mother I will never go back on land again.” He said.

“Why?”

“The last time I was there humans tried to burn mother alive but I managed to save her. She said if humans find out I’m a merman they’ll try to do the same and she doesn’t want that so she made me promise.” He explained.

“Why did you just tell me now?” Yifan was suddenly angry. “I know I’m not close to mother and I pushed her away before but if she’s in trouble….”

“She knows you’ll get angry and you’ll try to hurt humans so she doesn’t want me to tell you.” Minho once again looked down. Yifan is kind and it’s rare to see the older angry so he’s kind of scared. Yifan is scary when he’s angry.

“Tell mother to come. Tell her I won’t push her away anymore.” Yifan said in a sigh. Minho looked at his brother with a smile.

“Okay! I will!” he said excitedly. Yifan hands them the black pearl then they both swim off.

 

---

“Didn’t enough sleep again?” Jonghyun asked.

“Yeah.” Taemin answered.

“Are you okay?” Jinki asked.

“I'm good.” He smiled to them. “What’s your plan today?”

“Nothing.” Jinki said. “We’re gonna laze around with Sungjae and the others.”

“Peniel will teach me the basic to surfing.” Jonghyun said.

“Nice.” Taemin did thumbs up to Jonghyun.

“You’re coming with us right?” Jinki asked.

“I finished the book I bought yesterday. I’m going back to the market to buy another one.”

“I see. Want me to come with you?” Jonghyun asked.

“I’ll be fine hyung. I’ll go back as soon as possible. I’ll see you do the basics.” Taemin smiled playfully.

“Just be careful okay.” Jinki said.

“Copy that Jinki Hyung.” He smiled at his brother. “Oh! And I saw an antique knife on the shop where I bought the book. Do you want me to buy it?” he asked him. “For your collection.”

“Send me picture once you’re there.” Jinki said excitedly.

“Got it.” Taemin said.

 

 

---

“Oh My Poseidon!!” Key shouts.

“Keep it down Key.” Minho warns.

“But my tail!!”

“That’s natural. You’re over reacting.”

“My beautiful scales will grow back right???” he asked worriedly.

“It will. Don’t worry.” Minho said.

“It hurts.”

“Of course it hurts. Your bones are adjusting.” Minho explained.

“You already have legs.”

“I had it once so it’s faster. It’s your first time so it’ll take time.” Minho said as he watches Key’s tail melts into slender legs. After a while, Key has his legs too.

“We’re .” Key said as he looks down at the thing hanging between Minho’s legs. “That’s disgusting.”

“YOU HAVE IT TOO!!” Minho once again snapped at Key. Seems like Key didn’t realize it himself so when he looked down, he looked surprised.

“Disgusting.” He repeated as he looks at his lower half. “We’re still .”

“Over there. There’s a small cave. Mother left some clothes there for me.”

“Let’s go.” Key said. He ran fast. Enjoying the feeling of his legs. Minho laughed at him. He might be annoying but he has his cute sides too.

 

---

“Grandma?” Taemin called out.

“Here” The old woman said. “You came back young man.” She said with a smile.

“Yes. I finished the book I bought for my friend.” Taemin said chuckling. “I can’t give it to him anymore.” He said. The grandma laughed too.

“I see you’re a bookworm.” She said.

“Can I look around again?” he asked. “I think I’ll buy a lot today. My brother wants to see the knife over there..” he pointed at one shelf. “..is it okay if I take a picture?”

“Go ahead young man. I’d love to have more customers.” She said. “I’ll be here at the counter. Call me if you want me to open some of the shelf.”

“I will. Thanks grandma.” He said before walking around again. He doesn’t know why he can’t get enough of the shop. Maybe because everything he sees is so amusing and he’d never see anything like it before.

He took a picture of the knife and sent it to Jinki. He took a picture of some old paintings too and sent it to Jonghyun. Then lastly, he took a picture of native accessories and sent it to Jongin asking him what he wants. After that, he went to the bookshelves to find another book for himself.

While Taemin is looking for a book, the door’s chains made a sound, an announcement that someone entered the shop. Taemin is curious. Did some tourist come to look around too? He’s sure it’s not the locals coz they’re scared of grandma. He walked to the counter to see who came.

“Grandma Do you have new cust…” he suddenly swallowed his words when the two guys turned around to him and he recognized one of them. “You…..”

“I’m sorry young man. These are my sons. If you’ll excuse us? Maybe you can come back la….”

“It’s okay.” Minho cuts her off. “He knows.” He told her. She looked shocked. Minho turns to Taemin again. “Can you…wait for me?” he asked him.

“Ye….yes…” Taemin said as he nods. His eyes won’t look anywhere but Minho’s legs. “I…I’ll be outside.” He said.

“You can stay here inside you know.” Key said with a smile. “You have business here correct?”

“Yes.” Taemin said dazed.

“Then do what you must.” Key smiled at him. For a guy, Taemin thinks Key is too pretty.

“We’ll be at the back young man.” Grandma said. “You can stay here if you want.”

“y…yes…I will…” he said. Minho smiled at him before disappearing behind the curtains with Grandma and Key.

Taemin would be lying if he says he’s not happy and just shocked coz right now, he’s both. He’s surprised to see Minho again, not as merman but as a human. So fairytales are really true. Mermaids/Merman exists and they have magic to turn themselves as a human. And, the grandma introduced Minho as his son so does that mean the grandma’s husband is a merman? Or is grandma a mermaid? He’s not sure and he wants answers.

He sits on a stool inside the shop. He stared at the curtain where the Minho, Grandma and the pretty guy disappeared to. He’s currently listing the things he wanted to ask Minho. He waited for weeks, waiting for minutes or hours more is not a problem. He’s more than glad to the fact that Minho is there, breathing the same air as him on the very same room. His task of buying books and souvenirs are long forgotten. His phone vibrated 3 times. Maybe a text from Jinki, Jonghyun and Jongin but he ignored them because his mind is too busy listing the words he wanted to say to Minho later on.

 

---

“Didn’t I tell you not to go back on land anymore?” she asked Minho.

“I’m sorry.” Minho said. “Father and Yifan wants me to deliver a message.”

“Yifan?” she asked. The grandma earlier was nowhere to be found anymore. She’s younger now, probably 30 years younger. Now, she looks like as years old.

“A few full moons ago father went to the south to talk with the other leaders. They fought over the cave under this island. Father claimed it since it’s under his water but the other leaders are trying to own it.”

“What’s inside the cave?” she asked.

“A lot whole lot of black pearls.” Minho said. “Yifan saw it with his own eyes. He said the amount is probably more that our population. Father gets into a fight with the other leaders and he was hurt badly.” Minho looked sad.

“Oh child.” The woman walked to him and hugged Minho who is sitting down. “How is he?” she asked.

“he wants to see you mother.” Minho said. “That’s his message. He wants you there and he wants you to lead us once he’s gone.”

“And Yifan?” she asked.

“Yifan is not yet fit to lead.” He admitted. “I don’t think I have what it takes to lead us all and Kyungsoo is too young.” Minho looked up at his mother. “Yifan wants you to come. He said he won’t push you away anymore.”

“Did you tell Yifan?” she asked.

“Yes.” He answered honestly. “I’m sorry.”

“Don’t apologize child.” She said as she hugs him again. They stayed like that for a while until the woman saw Key being uncomfortable on his own sit. “You’re Key right?” she asked.

“yes.” Key answered.

“Minho told me a lot of stories about you before. I see he’s not lying when he said you’re pretty for a merman.” She said. Key blushed at the compliment.

“Thank you. You’re pretty too when you’re not using your old woman face.” He said. Minho and the woman laughed.

“Thank You. You can call me mother too if you want.” She said.

“I prefer to call names.” Key said.

“Call me Dara then.” She said smiling. Key nods. “Speaking of names. You know the young man earlier and he knows about you? What is his name?” she asked.

“Taemin.” Minho said. “First thing first mother. Are you going back or not?” he asked.

“I’m going back child. Your father needs me and Yifan finally forgave me. Of course I’m going back.” She said. “So?....” she asked again.

“Oh~ Taemin. Yes. About him….”

“He’s still waiting patiently outside.” Key said as he peaks through the curtains. Minho suddenly stood up.

“Key will tell you how I knew him mother.” He said. “I’ll go talk to him.” Before Dara or even Key could protest, Minho is gone to the shop.

 

---

Taemin squirms on is seat when he saw Minho coming out from where he disappeared to earlier. He waited until Minho is face to face with him. Now that he’s looking at him on a bright light, he’s so handsome. His skin is sun kissed and his hair is messy, y messy. It looks so soft too. His body is like a sculpture. So built.

“Hello.” Minho greeted him.

“Hi.” Taemin greeted back nervously.

“I’m surprised you went back.”

“I wanted to see you again.” Taemin said honestly.

“I can feel mother and my best friend listening to us.” Minho smiled. Taemin looked behind Minho and found the pretty guy and a…..young woman? …..peeking through the curtains. “Come on.” He suddenly pulled Taemin up.

Taemin was kinda surprised and he swore he felt electricity ran through his whole body when Minho touched him. His wrist that Minho is still holding felt like it’s burning under the merman’s tight hold.

“Where’s grandma?” he cannot stop himself from asking. Minho smiled.

“She that.” Minho said and Taemin gets it. He doesn’t ask anymore question because his whole body is seriously on fire. “Let’s go outside.” Minho said and he nods. “Mother, Key I’ll come back tonight okay?”

“Be careful.” She said with a smile.

“Take care of my best friend.” Key said. “He looks buff and strong but he’s just a jellyfish.” He joked. Taemin laughed.

“I will……”

“I’m Key.” He said.

“Oh~ I’m Dara.” She joined the introduction session.

“I’m…..”

“Taemin!” The two said in a perfect unison. Taemin smiled so wide. So Minho told them about him.

“He’s that.” Minho said with a smile. “We’re off.” He announced then pulled Taemin outside the shop.

Just like before locals are gossiping but when Minho stared at them, they all stopped talking. Probably scared. Minho pulled him to exact same place where he’s been going for 2 nights already. The place where he took him when he saved him. They’re both quiet on their way. Minho never let his wrist go. Only when they arrived at the exact same spot where they sat before that Minho lets go.

“I….” The both started then both stopped to let the other speak first. When there’s no sign..

“I…..” they started on the same time again. Minho chuckled so does Taemin.

“You first.” Minho said.

“No. You first.” Taemin pouts a little.

“Okay.” Minho nods. “I was here last night and the other night.”

“Really?”

“Yes.” Minho looked guilty. “I’m sorry I could show myself to you. Not as a merman again.”

“Why? It’s not like I’ll tell anyone.” Taemin said.

“Yes, I know but it’s too dangerous. Someone might see me while I’m with you.” He said. “I’m really sorry.”

“It’s okay now.” Taemin smiled. “You’re here with me now after all.” He said. “I really really really want to thank you for saving me.”

“You already thanked me back then.”

“Yes, but it’s not enough for me.” He said. “You saved my life.”

“Saving you is my pleasure. Live your life happily. Treasure you second life.” Minho said.

“I will.” Taemin said. There a comfortable silence between them for a while before Minho sits on the sand and Taemin did the same.

“Fire at me.” Minho suddenly said.

“huh~?” Taemin asked.

“I know you have a lot of question you want to ask me.” He said with a knowing smile. Taemin smiled back.

“That…. is true.” Taemin said. “First. How did Dara grandma became young again?” he asked and Minho cannot stop himself from laughing. Taemin is a curious one. He reminds him of his younger brother Kyungsoo.

“She’s a sea witch. It’s within her power to make herself young.” Minho said.

“Oh~” Taemin was taken aback. So the locals were right, Grandma really is a witch. “She’s a….good witch …..right?” he asked unsure.

“She is.” Minho answered with a smile. “So? I answered your first question. Is there more?” he asked and Taemin nods.

“Key’s a guy ….right?” he asked. Minho laughed once again. Taemin is like kid really. He likes confirming his theories.

“Yes he is. He’s just pretty but, yes, he’s a guy. A merman like me.”

“Right.” Taemin said. “How’d you become a human?”

“We have this thing called black pearls. If we eat it our tails will melt and form into human legs.”

“Wow.” Taemin said amused. “You….you’re not fooling me right now are you?” he asked.

“Of course I’m not.” Minho said.

“You’re honest to your answers?”

“Yes. I am.” He said.

“…………”

“You want to ask something. I can tell.” Minho stated.

“Why are you being so honest with me?” Taemin asked. Minho is taken aback; he’s not expecting a question like that and truth to be told…

“…….I don’t know myself.” Minho said. There’s a strange silence between them for a while. “Why did you come back?” he asked Taemin.

“I want to thank you and see you again so bad.” Taemin confessed. “I couldn’t forget about you. I even dreamed about you a lot of times.”

“…………thank you.” Minho suddenly said.

“For what?” Taemin asked.

“For coming back.” He said with a blinding smile. “I want to see you again too.” He confessed. Taemin blushed. “I want to tell you you’re beautiful and you took my breath away the first time I saw on that sinking ship.”

“You….” Taemin’s cheeks are burning red. “You’re the one who is beautiful.” He said. “I really want to see your tail again. You’re handsome right now but you’re more handsome when you have a tail.”

“Really?” Minho asked. Taemin just nods. “Key told me I’m more handsome when I’m human earlier.” He said.

“No. You’re more handsome when you’re you.” Taemin said. Minho smiled.

“Thank you.” Minho said. “For saying I’m handsome and for not getting scared by a monster like me.”

“You’re not a monster.” Taemin turned to him with a pout. Minho had too lean back coz he was surprised, his face was suddenly inches away and Taemin is too beautiful for him to handle. “You’re not a monster.” Taemin repeated.

“Okay….I’m not.” Minho said nervously. When Taemin is back to his original sitting position, Minho sighs in relief and he keeps on telling himself to calm down.”

“You’re going back to the ocean tonight?” Taemin asked.

“Yes. I need to.”

“Can I see you off?” he asked. Minho didn’t answer. “I still want to touch your tail.” He said.

“I’m not sure. I don’t think mother would allow it.” He said.

“Why? It’s not like I’ll stop you from going. I just want to see you in your merman form one last time before I go back to my normal life.”

“You’re leaving too?”

“Yes.” Taemin said sadly. “We’re only here for vacation. “Tonight and the night the next day and I’m gone.”

“oh~” Minho huffs sadly. “You won’t come back anymore?”

“I don’t know. If time permits it, maybe I will.”

“Maybe….”

“Yes…Maybe…..” Taemin said. “So? Can I see you tonight?” he asked. “Please?”

“Okay. I’ll take care of mother.” Minho answered.

They chatted a lot until the sun is down. They’re both honestly happy that they got to know each other. Minho told a lot stories about the creatures on the deep and Taemin is more than glad to hear about them. Taemin told him stories too about his trips before and Minho told him he’d love to swim on the Pacific Ocean once.

They only noticed how time flies off so much when Taemin’s phone started vibrating continuously. He totally forgot about Jinki and Jonghyun. He’s sure they’re dead worried for him now. He also realized how he didn’t eat anything since lunch. Minho laughed at him when his stomach growled so loud.

Minho proposed to go back to the shop so he can get what he was planning to get earlier and maybe find something to eat while they’re on their way. Taemin is really hungry and even if he still wants to chat with Minho, he can’t coz Jinki and Jonghyun (even Jongin) is worried for him and he wants him home before sunset.

On their way back, Taemin keeps on telling Minho that he wish time is a little slower so they can talk some more. He said it might be the last time they’ll see each other and he wants to treasure every minute, every second of it. Minho said the same thing.

When they arrived at the shop, Taemin gets his items. He wanted to pay for them but Dara refused. She said she doesn’t need the money anymore because she’s going back to the deep and money is really useless there. Dara told him to get every item he could laid hands on. She said she feels bad that she’s going to let them rot there.

Taemin is too kind to refuse so he took a lot. He had 4-5 bags full of souvenirs when he came out of the shop. Minho wants to take him home but he refused saying he’ll be fine and he’ll see him later that night. Minho wants to argue about taking him home but luckily, Dara interrupted his son saying he needs help to keep the remaining items safe on the basement. Minho lost the argument before he could even start one. Dara did a thumbs up to Taemin and Taemin laughed.

 

---

“OH MY GOD!” Jonghyun said as he runs to Taemin. “Hyung! Taemin’s back!” he announced.

Taemin swore if he’s not having a hard time carrying the bags and if he’s not tired, he would be laughing at the scene. Jinki came out with Sungjae and the other guy literally squishing up to the door so they can ran to him. Jonghyun helped him with the bags.

“Where were you? Why did you buy a lot?” he asked.

“The old shop at the market is closing down and the grandma there offered all these for free.” He lied.

“The old shop at the market? Grandma?” Sungjae frowns. “Are you talking about the witch’s shop?” he asked.

“She’s not a witch though.” Taemin said. “If she is she wouldn’t give me all these for free. Grandma is kind.”

“Right.” Sungjae said.

“You got me some cool knifes!” Jinki said excitedly.

“There’s 5 of them hyung.” Taemin said. “Jonghyun Hyung I got you a special medicinal book.”

“Where where?” Jonghyun asked as he scrambles through the bags.

 

---

“You like the human.” Dara stated.

“Pardon?” Minho asked.

“Taemin. You like him don’t you?”

“I…. I don’t know.” Minho said. “It feels so good being with him.”

“He’s in love.” Key said.

“What?” Minho asked.

“You love the human.” Key said certain of his words.

“I don’t know that. You don’t know that.” Minho kinda denied it. Dara and Key looked at each other with a helpless look. “He’s coming tonight by the way.”

“WHAT!!!??” Key asked. “Minho! You know dangerous that could be!”

“Oh~ don’t worry child. Mother has magic so no one would see us.” Dara said. “It’s okay to let Taemin see. He doesn’t look like someone who would tell anyway.”

“He promised he won’t tell a soul.” Minho assured her. “He just wants to touch my tail.”

“You never let me touch your tail.” Key said.

“He’s special.”

“And I’m not?” Key pouts.

“You’re a different kind of special.” Minho said before walking away. Dara and Key looked at each other, both nods and both said,

“He’s in love.”

 

---

Taemin made Jinki and Jonghyun drink milk this time. The two of them sleeps like a log if they drink milk first before sleeping. Just like a child. Taemin is like that too but he’s too alive to feel sleepy. When the two is already snoring, he sneaked out to meet Minho, Key and Dara.

He’s not sure where to go so he settled to go to the shop. Luckily, they waited for him. Dara and Key together is just too beautiful for Taemin to handle, plus there’s handsome Minho too.

“We should go while everyone is sleeping.” Dara said.

“Okay.” Minho said.

They all followed Dara who leads the way to the safe side of the shore. It was dark and it was a long walk but none of them said anything. Actually, Taemin and Minho likes the long walk because they get to spend more time together.

“How do you turn back to being a merman?” Taemin asked Minho.

“Mother’s spell.” Minho answered. “We have to drink a potion then our legs will grow back to a tail.

“I can see the process right?”

“Of course young man.” Dara answered for Minho. “Here.” She hands Minho and Key a small bottle. “Drink it now.” She ordered and they did.

Taemin and Dara watched as Key and Minho turned to Mermans again. Taemin is so amazed. Both mermans are so beautiful. He wonders why humans call them monster when they’re clearly not. They’re piece of art. God’s most beautiful creation. If he could choose what he’s gonna be before he’s born he would probably choose to become a merman.

“Mother it’s your turn.” Minho said. Taemin’s eyes won’t look anywhere else but him. Dara’s eyes are on Taemin.

“Do you want to try being a merman for a night young man?” she suddenly asked.

“WHAT!?” Key and Minho asked in perfect unison.

“What?” Taemin asked late.

“You look like you wanted to be one.” She said with a smile.

“It’s dangerous!” Key reminded her.

“Don’t worry. It’s fine. It’s not like humans are awake at this hour and he’ll be back before dawn.” She reasoned.

“Mother you’re too careless.” Minho said.

“What?” Dara pouts. “I like him okay.” She said. “And it’s not like he doesn’t already know about us. He came back to the shop even if he already heard I’m a witch, that’s a first and don’t you want to spend more time together?” she asked Minho. The merman looked down so he won’t meet Taemin’s eyes when he looked at him.

“I….I want to! But….how?” Taemin speaks up. He too wants to spend more time with Minho and he wants to know how it feels like to be a merman, how they can breathe under water. If he’s lucky maybe he’ll see where they live.

“See? He wants to.” She said with a smile. She took out a small bottle that looks like the bottle she gave to Minho and Key. “Drink that.” She gave the small bottle to him. “I had a hard time perfecting that potion but I haven’t tried it on a human before so I don’t know how long it’ll last.”

“So it’s for the sake of her experiment.” Key whispers. Minho frowns at the statement.

“Mother is this safe?” his frown deepens. “I don’t want Taemin to be in danger.” He said. Taemin blushed, so Minho cares for him. That’s nice.

“Don’t worry. I’ll ask the see bubbles to follow you wherever you go so when the potion’s effect runs out he’ll be safe. The bubbles will take him to the shore.” She said before looking excitedly at Taemin. “Drink it now child. I want to see what you’ll look like with a tail.”

“I won’t die right?” Taemin suddenly asked. She chuckles.

“You won’t.” she assured him. “As long as other mermaids or merman won’t realize you’re a human which I doubt once you have your tail.” She smiled and nods to Minho. “And it’s not like my child would let you die.” She teased.

“Mother.” Minho whines in embarrassment.

“What?” she asked smiling before turning back to Taemin. “Now hurry! We have limited time.” Taemin nods at her before opening the lid and drinking the whole bottle.

“Sit on the sand.” Key said. He sounds excited too. Minho is just quietly watching. Taemin nods and did what Key told him.

Taemin’s inside suddenly hurts, like it’s being twisted. He groans in pain and Minho was fast to support him. The next thing he felt is his legs burning. He wanted to shout but he doesn’t want to get unwanted attention so he held it in and holds into Minho instead.

“What’s happening to him?” Minho asked his mother worriedly.

“He’s fine. Just wait 5 minutes. That’s natural.” She said.

“Hot! It’s burning.” Taemin whispers on Minho.

“Key! Help me!” he called his best friend. Key immediately crawled to them. “Let’s get his legs to the water, he said it’s hot.”

They did dragged Taemin’s legs to the water. He keeps on groaning in pain and he might’ve hurt Minho’s arms a little when he scratched him when a sharp pain shoots him. Minho doesn’t look bothered by it though. They watched as Minho’s legs sticks together, it gets thick and bulky and before they knew it, he has a tail.

“So beautiful.” Dara said. “I knew it being a merman would suit him.”

“He’s out.” Minho said.

“Oh~” Dara flicks her fingers then Taemin opened his eyes. The first thing he did was look to his tail. “You can swim right?” she asked.

“I have a tail.” Taemin said instead of answering.

“Yes you do.” Minho smiled at him. “It’s beautiful.” He said. Dara and Key looked at each other and sighs with a smile.

“You two take your time. Me and Key will swim back to the deep.” She said then with a blink of an eye she has her tail.

“How’d you do that?” Key asked.

“Sea witch remember?” she said chuckling.

“Right.” Key said before turning to Minho. “Make sure he’s back to the land before dawn.”

“You’re leaving us?” Taemin asked.

“You’re safe with him.” Key said with a teasing smile. Taemin glanced to Minho, the merman is smiling at him. “We’re going.” He announced and then they’re gone.

“Do you trust me Taemin?” Minho asked.

“I….I do.” Taemin answered. Minho smiled.

“Don’t worry. I don’t eat humans.” He teased.

“You told me that before.” Taemin smiled.

Minho helps Taemin to crawl to the water and helps him get used to his tail. He laughed at the human when he suddenly dives in excitedly while holding his breath. Minho followed him underwater thinking he’ll treasure every minute, every second and every wave they’re together.

 

---

“Ugh~ why am I awake?” Jonghyun asked himself as he groggily sits on his bed. He looked at Jinki’s bed. The older is sound asleep. Even snoring. He looked at Taemin’s bed next and the younger is not there. “Taemin?” he tried to call out but the house is quiet. He groans more as he stands up.

He walked around the small house they’re staying trying to find Taemin. He remembered the younger saying he hasn’t been getting enough sleep. He’s worried for him. Maybe the younger is bothered with something so he wants to help him. If Taemin needs to talk with someone, he wants to be there for him. But, unfortunately, Taemin is nowhere to be found.

He suddenly feels uneasy. He looked at the clock, almost 12. Where would Taemin go at that late hour? He’s really worried so he grabbed his jacket and head out. Maybe he’ll find Taemin walking around the beach. He just wants to make sure he’s safe. He didn’t bother waking up Jinki too coz he’s sure the older would panic and he doesn’t really find any need for that.

Well, he keeps on walking around the beach, sleepiness is long forgotten, and he just wants to find Taemin. If he doesn’t find the need to tell Jinki earlier, he does now. He almost walked around the whole island and there’s still no Taemin.

He’s uneasy now and he keeps on thinking about Taemin. He sighs when a HUGE cliff of stones blocked him from going to the other side of the beach. Oh well, he walked around it and luckily he made it out of the forest part at the back of the stone even if it’s dark.

At first he cannot see anything but when the moon shines on the water, he’s so sure that he saw Taemin on the water. He immediately ran and called out to Taemin, he’s with someone. Taemin is swimming late night on the beach with someone. Jonghyun is super worried, they might drown. It’s too dark and there might be even sharks out there.

“TAEMIN!!!!” he called out but the waves are too noisy for Taemin to hear him. “Tae….” He didn’t got to finish calling out his name because Taemin dived into the water. “HEY!!!!!” he tried calling out the guy whose head is still poking to the water.

He’s not sure but he kinda saw the guy laugh before diving in too. This time, Jonghyun is not scared that Taemin might drown; he’s scared because he’s 100% sure that he saw a huge tail when the guy Taemin’s with dived into the water. His knee shook violently before it completely gave out and he’s kneeling on the sand. There are no words coming out of him but his mouth is wide open.

He forced himself to stand up even if he’s still shaking. The only thing on his mind is he needs to let Jinki know. He needs to take Jinki there to let him see what he just saw himself. He needs to take Jinki there coz he doesn’t know what he should do to save Taemin.

 

---

He’s so alive, he keeps on swimming and swimming round and round like an electrified fish with his puffy cheeks. Minho laughed so hard and Taemin only noticed it when Minho starts to laughs hysterically.

Taemin’s cheeks got puffier when he pouted. He doesn’t know why Minho is laughing at him like that. Does he look like a kid or something? He’s not really sure but, he’s sulking now. Minho noticed his attitude so he swims to him. When the merman is near enough, he pokes his cheeks.

“I’m pretty sure your breathing & talking underwater comes with the tail so why not let go of that air you’ve been trying so hair to hold in?” he asked him chuckling. Taemin looks scared though. “You trust me right?” Minho asked and Taemin nods. “If you can’t breathe then I’ll take you up.” He said with reassuring smile. Taemin nods again and this time, he looks relaxed.

He nervously opened his mouth to let all the air in there go. He’s more surprised that Minho took his hand than the fact that he really can breathe underwater.

“I can breathe.” He stated as Minho drags him deeper.

“And you can talk.” Minho adds.

“Right!” Taemin said excitedly. “Where are you taking me?” he asked.

“I want to show you something. We don’t know how long your tail will last so we have to hurry to the deep. We have to get back up there before your tail melts.” Minho said.

“You’re not….feeding me to other mermaids right?” Taemin said. Minho stopped swimming and looked at Taemin shocked.

“I thought you said you trust me?” he frowns.

“I…I do.” Taemin said. “I’m just …scared.” He admitted.

“Don’t be.” Minho pats his cheeks. “I’ll protect you.” He said with a smile.

“Promise?”

“I promise.” Minho said.

“Okay….let’s go.” Taemin said nervously.

Minho never once let go of Taemin’s hand. He drags him to the bottom of the sea. To be honest, Taemin is not expecting to see any light. It’s night and there’s no source of light from above so he’s really taken aback when they reached the bottom of the sea and it’s bright.

“Where’s the light coming from?” he asked Minho.

“There are a lot of different creatures which lights up underwater.” Minho said simply. Taemin chuckles. “Why?” Minho asked.

“You said CREATURE.” He smiled at him. “You’re basically one of their kind.” He stated.

“Well, yes…but humans call us creatures. I just copied them.” Minho defended himself before pulling Taemin deeper. “We need to get through that.” He pointed at a narrow hole between huge rocks.

“There’s no way we can get through that.” Taemin said.

“We’ll fit.” Minho insists and pulled Taemin. “I’ll go first.”

“WAIT!” Taemin said. “I’ll go first.”

“Are you sure?” Minho asked.

“I’ll feel more scared if there’s no one behind me. I need someone to push me if I get stocked.” He said. Minho smiled widely.

“Trust me you won’t get stocked.” He said.

“I do trust you okay. It’s just that…. happens.” Taemin said before swimming into the hole. Minho followed him closely.

“Slowly okay.” Minho said and he nods before completely entering.

 

---

“Jinki hyung!” Jonghyun shook Jinki violently. “HYUNG!!!!”

“What?” Jinki asked.

“Taemin..”

“WHAT!? WHAT HAPPENED TO TAEMIN!?” Jinki stands up panicking. “He’s not on his bed! Where is he?” he asked Jonghyun after finding his younger brother’s bed empty.

“You need to come with me.” Jonghyun said. He knows that Jinki won’t believe him if he told him he saw Taemin getting abducted by a merman. Mermaids and Mermans they’re fairytale.

“Where is he?” Jinki asked.

“Just come with me!” Jonghyun said.

 

---

“I see what you mean now! Why didn’t you tell me sooner?” Taemin playfully punches Minho’s arms. Minho just laughed at him.

“You look adorable when you’re nervous.” He said.

“No I’m not.” Taemin denied. He’s not sure if his blush is visible but he knows he’s blushing. Minho is too cheesy for a merman.

The space between the rocks, when you entered it there’s a huge space inside and there’s no need to swim separately. The further they swim, the more the space is getting bigger. Taemin is amazed; he’s not even talking now. Under the sea is not different than the night sky, there’s a lot of creatures bearing light sticking into rocks or swimming with them.

“Over there.” Minho points at a cave.

“There’s an under water cave?” Taemin asked as if he’s not already seeing it. “How come no one discovered this place?”

“Humans can’t reach this part of the sea. Even if they do, they need to pass through those stones and that’s impossible because it’s too deep and they pressure will kill them.” Minho explained.

“I didn’t notice we swim that deep already.” Taemin admitted.

“You have a tail and you can breathe underwater so maybe that’s why.” Minho said. “Come on.” He pulled Taemin to the cave. Surprisingly, the cave is only half water; its inside is an empty space with rocks.

“GOD!” Taemin cannot stop himself from saying. “This place is beautiful!”

“I know right.” Minho said.

“The only Mermans who knows this place is Me, Key and my two brothers.”

“What about your mom?”

“I don’t know if she knows this place exists.”

They stayed there, exploring the cave. Minho keeps on taking care of Taemin because he’s being clumsy. He doesn’t care even if he gets hurt to be honest; he just wants to do more with his limited time as a merman. He wants to see everything as much as possible. Once he returns to the land, there’ll be no more of that. He’s having the time of his life now and it’s happier because Minho is with him.

Minho on other hand is burning Taemin’s image on his mind. He doesn’t want this night to end and it’s possible, he wants to keep Taemin with his side forever but, he knows too well that that’s impossible. First, it’s too risky and second, he doesn’t want to make Taemin give up his human life only to see mermaids and mermans eat their kind. That’ll be too much for Taemin.

“We need to go.” Minho said.

“Already?” Taemin asked sadly.

“We have to make sure you’re near the shore when tail disappears. I don’t want you to die on me.” Minho said with a sad smile.

“So?” Taemin asked. “Is this the end? We’ll never see each other again?”

“I don’t….” he was suddenly interrupted when someone called out to him.

“Minho!”

“Yifan!” he said surprised, he immediately pulled Taemin behind him.

“Oh~ don’t worry.” Yifan smiled. “I know about him. Mother told me.” He said. “She wants me to bring you guys with her.”

“Why?” Minho asked.

“I actually do not know.” He admitted.

“Come on. She said to hurry up.” Yifan said before disappearing to the water. Minho and Taemin looked at each other before following Yifan to the deep.

 

---

“WHERE IS MY BROTHER?” Jinki keeps on asking Jonghyun. “WHY IS HE NOT COMING UP???? WE’VE BEEN WAITING FOR 3 HOURS HERE JONGHYUN! ARE YOU SURE YOU SAW HIM HERE AND NOT THERE? OR THERE? OR THERE???” he pointed on different directions.

It’s true; they’ve been waiting for Taemin to come up for three hours. Jonghyun is so scared; he cannot tell Jinki that a merman took Taemin. He has a lot questions on his mind. What is Taemin is dead? What if Merman eats humans and that merman earlier eats Taemin? What if Taemin is not coming back to them anymore?

“Hyung.” Jonghyun kneels and Jinki did too. “You have to believe me okay.”

“Just tell me what the is going on!” Jinki cursed, that’s a first.

“Taemin, when he dived into the water, he’s with someone…..” Jonghyun is about to cry.

“AND…????”

“When the guy dived into the water too, I saw a tail.”

“Tail??” Jinki shook. “WHAT TAIL? SHARK TAIL? WHALE? ARE YOU TELLING ME…”

“No. Not those.” Jonghyun is crying now. “I know you’ll think I’m insane but I know what I saw.” He sobs continuously. “That guy with Taemin. He has a tail.”

 

---

“Mother.” Minho greets Dara.

“Young man! Come here!” she ignored Minho and pulled Taemin instead. “I want to ask you something.” She said with a smile.

“What is it?” Taemin asked.

“I discussed this with Minho’s father and his brothers.” She started. “Do you want to come back here?” she asked.

“I can?” Taemin asked back.

“He can???” Minho asked.

“Yes.” Dara smiled. “But, in one condition.”

“ANYTHING!” Taemin said enthusiastically.

“It’s simple. You can’t tell anyone and you have to be very careful.” She said.

“I will!!! I swear I won’t tell a single soul and I’ll be SUPER careful.” He said.

“Great!” Dara said. “Here” She gave him a big bottle. “That’ll last for a long time. Come back anytime you want.”

“Can I? Really?” he asked.

“You don’t look like a threat.” Yifan stated. “Keep your promise and you’ll be fine. Break it and I’ll personally come to the land to break you instead.” He warns.

“HEY!” Minho protests.

“I SWEAR ON MY DEAD PARENT’S THAT I’LL KEEP MY PROMISE!” he said.

“Well, now that it’s settled, I think you should really go back up now.” Dara said.

“Right.” Minho said. “It’s almost dawn. You cannot let anyone see us.”

 

---

Jinki is quiet. He didn’t even bother asking Jonghyun about what he just said. He just stared at his best friend and smiled. He stood up and helped Jonghyun to stand up too. Jonghyun on the other hand doesn’t know what Jinki is thinking.

“That’s some pretty good acting right there.” Jinki suddenly said. “You got me. Stop this prank now. I want to go back to sleep.”

“Wait! No! HYUNG! I’M NOT JOKING!!” he said. Before Jinki could ever answer, Jonghyun noticed the tail on the beach getting near the shore. “COME ON!!!” he pulled Jinki behind the rocks.

“What now?” the older asked.

“Over there!” Jonghyun whispers. “Look ever there!!!!” he pointed at the beach. Jinki’s mouth dropped when a head poked out and he saw the tail before that too.

“What the !!!”

“shhh!” Jonghyun shush him. “He might hear us!” Jonghyun said. “I don’t know if that’s the one with …..TAEMIN!”

“Where!!???” Jinki asked.

 

---

“Goodbye.” Taemin said. “I’ll see you again tonight.”

“Okay.” Minho nods with happiness.

“I’ll convince my brother to stay here for a few more days. I want to make spend as much time as possible to be here.”

“You do that.” Minho smiled. “I want to be with you too but, land is too dangerous for me.”

“No worries. The deep is 1000x more beautiful than the land, I’m assuring you.” Taemin smiled.

For three seconds they stared at each other. Both don’t want to separate yet. Taemin felt if when his tail starts burning and it hurts like hell. Minho supported him by hugging him. They stayed like that until Taemin can feel his legs again.

When he’s calm and he can already move his feet, he wanted to thank Minho but instead of words, the merman suddenly kissed him. It was sweet and full of longing. Taemin’s heart is beating is hard and fast that he actually feels scared that his heart might jump out of his body.

Minho’s eyes were closed so he did the same. He hugged Minho back and let the merman take his lips. He loves it, he loves Minho and if that kiss is not proof enough then he’ll just have to tell him right? When they separated, Minho is just staring at him.

“eah nga ras” Minho said with a loving smile. His eyes are sparkling and for some reason, even if Taemin really doesn’t understand what he just said, he felt like he knows what it means.

“I….”

“TAEMIN!!!!!” Jinki shouted as he launch at the water with some kind of stick.

“NO! JINKI HYUNG! WAIT!!!” Taemin tried to stop his brother from hurting Minho.

“Minho….I ……OH MY POSEIDON!!!” Key suddenly appeared at the scene too. “Minho!” he immediately pulled his best friend when he saw Taemin trying to stop a human from launching at him.

“GO!” Taemin shouted. Key nods to him before dragging Minho back to the deep. “What are you doing??” he asked his older brother when Key and Minho is gone.

“Are you okay? Did those monsters hurt you?” Jinki asked.

“They’re not monsters!!!” Taemin said angrily. That was the first time he ever shouted to Jinki. “They’re good! They’re the ones who really saved me from dying.”

Jinki was taken aback. He stood there in front of his angry younger brother. Taemin did get angry at him before but that was the first time the younger shouted at him. He’s surprised that the younger is defending those creatures.

“Jonghyun!!” Jinki called out.

“Ye…yes hyung?” Jonghyun who’s previously frozen on his spot walked near them.

“We’re going home. We will forget about this.” Jinki said.

“What? No! I’m not going home!” Taemin protested.

“Yes. You are. It’s that or I’m going to tell everyone about those creatures.” Jinki threatened him.

“They saved me!” Taemin cries out. Jinki was in silence for a minute or so before sighing in frustration and looking Taemin in the eyes.

“Even if!” Jinki answered back. “Do they accept humans under the sea?” he asked. Taemin did not answer he just cried. “See? If they find out that mermans have a human friend they’ll try to hurt you just like how I tried to hurt one of them earlier.”

“Hyung…” Jonghyun feels so bad for Taemin. If he’s telling the truth about the creatures saving his life then he owes them a lot.

“Shut it.” Jinki warns before turning back to Taemin again. “They’re not supposed to show themselves at land and you’re not supposed to show yourself to their kind. It’s too dangerous for both sides and if people finds out they’ll hunt them down.” He explained.

“That’s why we’re being careful.” Taemin reasoned.

“Being careful? You call this being careful? What if we’re not the ones who saw you with those creatures? What will you do? Will you be able to protect them?” he asked the younger.

“I…..”

“If you’re really grateful that they saved your life, you’ll leave and forget about them.” Jinki said. “There’s a reason why Yin and Yang is a thing Taemin.”

“Can I at least see them one last time?” Taemin asked.

“Let’s not risk it.” Jinki answered. “We’re leaving first thing in the morning and that’s final.”

It’s not like Taemin or Jonghyun can still do anything about it. Jinki has decided and just like what he said, it’s final. Jonghyun supported Taemin as they walk back to the house they’re staying. He feels guilty because Taemin is so broken hearted and the younger won’t stop crying.

 

---

“Your arm is bleeding.” Key said. Seems like the human earlier was able to hurt Minho. “Are you okay?”

“I’m worried.” Minho answered. Key sighs.

“A human almost killed you and you’re worried?”

“I don’t want the human earlier hurt Taemin.” Minho said.

“Judging from the way Taemin manhandles the man earlier, I think they’re family. I don’t think he’ll hurt him.” Key said.

“Minho!!!” Yifan suddenly appeared from nowhere.

“Yifan? What are you doing up here?” Key asked.

“I saw what happened.” The older said.

“You’re near?” Minho asked.

“No. I saw from mother’s crystal.”

“What crystal?” Minho asked.

“A round crystal. Mother was able to watch you and the human form there.” Yifan said. Without any further ado, Minho swims as fast as he can to the deep. He needs to see that crystal. He needs to see if Taemin is alright.

 

---

“Is it really that urgent? It’s still dark.” Peniel asked Jinki.

“Yes. It’s urgent. We need to go back home as soon as possible.” Jinki faked a smile. “Thank you for taking care of us while we’re here.”

“It’s our pleasure.” Peniel said. “When are you coming back?” he asked.

“I don’t think that’s gonna happen anytime soon.” Jinki said.

“I see.” Peniel just said. “Well, we’re always here. Come back when you want to.”

“Sure thing.” Jinki said before offering his hand to Peniel for a hand shake. Peniel gladly took it and shakes it.

“Sungjae is still sleeping. That kid sleeps like a log. I’ll tell him when he wakes up.”

“Please do.” Jinki said. “Were going now.” He nods to Peniel before going back to the house to see if Taemin and Jonghyun are ready to go.

“Do we really have to leave as soon as possible hyung?” Jonghyun asked.

“I know Taemin oh too well that I know he’ll come to see those creatures again if we stay here any longer.” Jinki stated. “I don’t want anyone to get hurt.”

“You hurt Minho earlier.” Taemin said while sobbing. He’s still crying, he can’t stop his tears. He cannot believe that the fantasy he’s living earlier is going to end now.

“I was scared he’ll hurt you.” Jinki said honestly. He sighs when Taemin ignored him.

Everything happened too fast. In a blink of an eye, all the future plans Taemin has on his mind for the next days with Minho is gone. He didn’t even have the chance to say goodbye. He wasn’t even able to say sorry for the damage Jinki caused. He cried his heart out as they load all their things to the car. Taemin looked at the sea for one last time and whispered ‘sorry’ as if Minho and the others can hear him.

 

---

“He’s gone.” Dara stated as they watch Taemin go. “This is for the good son. The human is right. We’re not supposed to be friends with each other. I forgot about it for a while when I met that young man.”

“I didn’t even got the chance to say goodbye to him.” Minho said.

“This is for the better Minho.” Key comforted his best friend. “Let’s forget about Taemin.”

“Never.” Minho said before swimming off. No one dared to follow him. They all know he needs time to be alone.

 

---

Days, weeks, months passed since all of that happened. Taemin is back to his normal life. He’s now back as a Music Professor at SHINee Academy which Jinki is running. He would always daze and think about Minho. For someone like him who loves music, he keeps on asking himself why for a little time he spends with Minho he didn’t even think about asking him to sing.

Legends say that Mermaids/Mermans have hypnotizing singing voice. It says that that’s their weapon for luring the humans to the deep. There are a lot of things Taemin forgot to ask Minho and if God gives him a second chance to meet the beautiful creatures again, he promised to himself that this time, he’ll ask the important questions. He even has a journal for his unanswered questions now.

To be honest, he never stopped thinking about them. If you enter his room, you’ll see a whole lot of books about mermaids. Also, he displayed all the souvenirs he got from Minho’s mother to his room. At least he has those to remember.

“Taemin…..” Jonghyun called out but Taemin is staring at space as usual. “Taemin!”

“HUH?” he asked surprised. Jonghyun sighs.

“Are you still thinking about them?”

“I never stopped thinking about them.” Taemin said bitterly. “If you saw what I saw you won’t forget too.” He smiled at the older.

“I never once forget too.” Jonghyun said. Taemin frowned at him. “The mermaid who came the last minute, she’s beautiful.” Jonghyun admitted, Taemin suddenly laughed so loud. “What??”

“That’s not a mermaid, that’s a merman.” Taemin said.

“You’re lying.” Jonghyun keeps on shaking his head.

“I’m not.” Taemin said still laughing. “His name is Key. I thought he’s beautiful too when I first saw him.” He admitted.

“What the actual ?”

“Why are you cursing?” Taemin asked amused.

“I think I’m in love with a merman!” Jonghyun said.

“Wait what???” Taemin asked.

“It’s love at first sight.” Jonghyun said still cannot believe the reality that just got revealed. “All this time I believed he’s a she.” Taemin laughed again.

“We’re on the same boat now.” Taemin said.

“Wait what???” Jonghyun copied him. “You’re in love with the other one?”

“His name is Minho and yes I’m in love with him.” Taemin said. “We kissed before Jinki hyung arrived. I thought you guys saw us.”

“We didn’t.”

“Well that’s good I guess. Jinki hyung will freak out more if he saw that.” Taemin snorts.

“True that.” Jonghyun agreed. He sighs so deep Taemin almost feels scared that he might get in.

“Love sick?” he asked the older who just nods at him. “Should we go back?” he suggested.

“Jinki hyung will kill us and he’s right, we shouldn’t risk it. I don’t want Key to get hurt.” Jonghyun sighed once again, followed by Taemin.

 

---

“He’s not really my type.” Key rolled his eyes.

“Oh really?” Minho teased. “Weren’t you the one who keeps on bothering mother to let you see him?”

“Shut up!” Key pouts. “I’m just intrigued coz I keep on seeing him with Taemin.”

“Yeah right.” Dara this time.

“Not you too mother.” Key whines. Dara and Minho laughed.

“Time to study. Stop watching them now. The crystal won’t go anywhere.” Dara chuckles.

“Mother~” Kyungsoo suddenly calls out. “Oh~ there you are.” He said when he saw her. “Yifan wants you to be the one who’ll announce the new rule.”

“AH!! I forgot about that!” Key pointed at Kyungsoo as if it’s the younger’s fault that he forgot.

“We should go mother. We can always study later.” Minho said.

“Right. This new rule is important after all.”

“Mermaids and Mermans are not allowed to eat humans ever again.”

When Minho, Dara and Key are gone, Kyungsoo stayed and watch the crystal. It’s his turn to watch his special someone. Just like Jonghyun, this human is always with Taemin. He dances so well, even Taemin said so. Kyungsoo learned his name, Jongin. He gave him a name, a name that only he will ever know, “devil dancer”. It suits him well.

 

---

After 3 years:

“I’m ready!!!” Taemin said excitedly.

“Do you really have to go?” Jinki asked.

“I have to hyung. You’re the one who made this project.” Taemin smiled at his brother. “You’re the one who made me the head of this project too.”

“Yeah but I do not know that you have to go by ship.” Jinki reasoned. “You can just use the private jet.”

“Hyung~ I’m with him! He’ll be fine.” Jonghyun said as he grabs an apple and threw it to Jinki which the older perfectly catches. “ZiTao and Jongin are with us too.”

“I’ll be with him 24/7 Jinki ge~” ZiTao said excitedly.

“Hey! I’m not a baby! I don’t need a baby sitter.” Taemin whines.

“FYI we’re not your baby sitter. We’re going with you because we want those kids to learn too.” Jongin said.

“Learn to what? Dance?” Jonghyun teased.

“Yah!!! Dancing is life!” Jongin, Taemin and ZiTao said in perfect unison.

“Did you practice that?” Jonghyun asked amused.

“We didn’t” Taemin answered. “Anyway, Jinki hyung why not come with us if you’re really worried? I mean, Minseok Hyung can take care of the Academy while you’re gone right? It’s just 3 days.”

“I don’t know. Minseok is busy these past few days.” Jinki said.

“He found himself a lover.” Jonghyun informed them.

“Really? Who’s the unlucky man?” ZiTao joked.

“From what I heard, his name is Jongdae. A barista at EONS.”

“Wait what!??” Taemin frowned. “I introduced them!”

“You know what?” Jinki suddenly interrupted them. “ it! I’m coming!” he said then he ran to his room. After 10 minutes or so he came out with his carrier.”

“Wow~ that’s fast.” Jonghyun said and they all laughed at Jinki who laughed too.

 

---

“I can’t believe I’m doing this.” Yifan said as he swims with Minho and Key.

“Well, we need an adult with us and you’re the perfect candidate.” Key said.

“I’d rather stay underwater and play with my friends.” Yifan groans.

“Oh you mean those little jelly fish at the cave?” Key laughed.

“They’re adorable okay!” Yifan reasoned.

“You should get yourself a bride Yifan.” Minho joined the conversation. “Every mermaid will kill for you and they’re all so beautiful too and you’re getting old.”

“I know that okay. Well, now that I’m coming with you I can’t really do that anymore right?” Yifan sighs. “I’m worried about mom and Kyungsoo.”

“They’ll be fine.” Minho said. “Kyungsoo grew up a devil, I’m sure he won’t let any harm comes to them.”

“Speaking of Kyungsoo, we should reward him.” Yifan said. “He’s been working hard to learn mother’s magic so he could be the next sea witch.”

“Let’s get him what he wants the most then.” Key suggest playfully.

“Right.” Minho said with a playful grin.

 

---

The ship departed. Jinki and the others are already resting while Taemin is watching the sea. He missed it; it’s been too long since saw it. Ever since that night Jinki learned about Minho he forbids him to go back to the sea. He never got the chance to use the potion that Dara gave him. Yes, he still has it.

It’s not like he’s planning to use it. He brought it with him because he wants to pour it into the sea. It’s been 3 years and truth to be told, after learning from those history books about humans wanting to kill mermaids, he never wants to risk it again. Jinki is right. There’s a reason why yin & yang exists. He doesn’t want to destroy the balance between the two worlds just because he wants to see Minho. He loves him so much that he thinks letting go is the best thing to do.

“Yo~” Zitao suddenly appeared behind him. “Can’t sleep?” he asked.

“Yeah. I missed the ocean.”

“I used to swim you know.” ZiTao leans to the rail too. “But I almost died when I drowned before so now I have a phobia.”

“What happened?” he asked.

“I don’t think you’ll believe me.”

“Try me.” Taemin said.

“Well, you know those fairytales about half human, half fish?”

“Wait mermaids?”

“Yes. Them. I saw a real one.” ZiTao said. “I panicked and then I drowned. I never want to go back swimming again after that. I’m too scared.”

“You shouldn’t be.” Taemin said seriously. From that, Zitao enlightens.

“Don’t tell me you….”

“The ones I met are good ones.” He said. “One saved me from death and the other accepted me as their friend.” He chuckles. “Actually I promised to them I won’t tell a soul but, since you already saw one, why not right?”

“So…? Is it true?” ZiTao asked hesitantly.

“What is?” Taemin asked back.

“Do they really eat humans?” ZiTao asked. Taemin didn’t answer; instead he looked back at the ocean. “I see……..” he said then looked at the ocean too. “Well, that’s in the past now.”

“True.” Taemin said. “Hey~ can you help me with something?”

“Yeah sure.” Zitao smiled.

“here.” He passed the bottle to him. “Throw it as far as you can.”

“What’s this?” zitao scanned the bottle.

“Memories.” Taemin answered.

ZiTao stopped asking questions and just throws the bottle with all his might. Taemin sighs, now he won’t have the chance to see Minho again. Ever. He needs to move on now, something he should’ve done 3 years ago.

 

---

They arrived safely at the island where their project is to launch. Jinki made this project for children who’s in the mountains or islands too far to the city. He wants to teach them for free. Make them learn a lot of things in three days and leave them books they can read and learn.

Taemin join this project, he wants the kids to learn how to dance but in their limited time, he’d rather them learn how to write and read. He helped with that. Same for ZiTao, there are hours that he would teach the kids Martial Arts but the majority of his time is spends to the kids learning how to read. As for Jonghyun, he does medical check ups and Jinki became hiss assistant. Taemin on the other hand is the one organizing everything. From the supplies they’re going to give them to the lessons Jongin and ZiTao are going to teach.

Jinki is so proud to Taemin. Sometimes when he’s catching his younger brother staring at nothing, he feels guilty. In reality, he saw it when the merman and his brother kissed and by then, he knew that they love each other but, just like what he said before, if other mermaids finds out about their kind befriending a human, they would hunt Taemin down and hurt him and he doesn’t like that.

3 days passed so easily. Before they knew it, they’re back to the academy. Minseok keeps on lecturing Jinki for disappearing like that without a word. Jonghyun takes some of the lectures too as Jinki’s accomplice. Minseok is super strict; no wonder the students are scared of him despite him being cute and squishy.

Jongin, ZiTao and of course Taemin is tired as hell. They’re on Jinki’s office lying on the couch like dead humans with their back packs lying on the floor. 3 days of non-stop working took a toll on their body. Jongin keeps on groaning and Zitao keeps on saying he wants pizza. Taemin just wants to drink banana milk. Minseok stopped lecturing the two adults and ordered them to get the youngsters food. The two (who mostly just played for the remaining 2 days) are more than glad to follow. They’d rather buy food outside than to get lectured by Minseok.

“Oh wait!” Minseok suddenly stopped them. “You need to meet our new interns first. They’ve been waiting for you guys since yesterday.”

“We have new interns?” Jinki asked surprised.

“I’m going to kill you.” Minseok warns. “You’re the one who approved their requests!”

“Oh yeah! Them!” Jinki suddenly remembered. The 3 youngsters at the couch laughed with their eyes closed. It was hilarious that Jinki keeps on forgetting and remembering things like that. “I don’t think I look presentable to meet them.”

“You’re wearing a suit.” Minseok said unamused.

“AH!!!” Jinki reacted like he doesn’t know he’s wearing a suit. Minseok Literally face palmed.

“Whatever. Let me call them. They started already.” With that Minseok is gone for 5 minutes, when he returned, he has the 3 interns with him.

“Good Afternoon Sir.” One greeted and the other two does two.

“Hi! Welcome to SHINee Academy.” Jinki laid out his hand for a hand shake which the tallest took followed by the other two. “You must be…..” he forgot so the guy in front of him smiled.

“Wu Yifan Sir.” He smiled oh so gracefully. “This is Choi Minho and Kim Kibum.”

Hearing those names, Taemin immediately opened his eyes and turned to the direction where Jinki and the others are standing. He swears his heart stopped beating for a minute or so after finding Minho looking back at him with a smile. When he looked at Key the other winked at him.

“Nice to meet you. I’m Lee Jinki.” Jinki introduced himself. He saw Minho and Key looking at Taemin. “Please ignore those three.” He chuckles. “They’re tired from a long trip.” He said.

“I….I know you.” Jonghyun pushed Jinki aside which surprised Minseok and Jinki. Jonghyun’s eyes are on Kibum.

“Hi~” Kibum greeted him.

“You’re…..” Jonghyun was about to reveal it when Yifan looms to him and made a QUIET gesture with his finger on his mouth. Jonghyun looked at Taemin who’s still looking at Minho and by that, he sighs helplessly but happy.

“Nice to meet you too.” He said with a smile. “Welcome to SHINee Academy.”

“Hey! Can you sing?” is the first question Taemin asked Minho.