Prologue

Fe(a)tt(h)ered

“It’s official. As of February 2015, non-human and half-human beings will be allowed access to public education. This morning, the Constitutional Court legislated a new law concerning unhuman citizens: children, teenagers, and young adults are to be accepted into public educational institutions; the only exceptions are vampires, deemed too dangerous to be left around humans for a long period of time. Although a great achievement for South Korea as a society, joining the U.S.A, Canada, Japan, China, the U.K, and most of the northern-European states where creatures are granted equal rights, this bold decision raises concerns from the human people, who are worried about their children’s safety. Protests are already being held in several cities, Seoul being the centre of it all, where …”

~*~

The campus overflows with bodies. Everyone expected a large amount of students this year (now that non-humans are accepted as well), but nobody anticipated just how large that number would be. The university’s personnel are probably in over their heads inside right now, trying their best to make everything work, from schedules to accommodation.

 

It’s Hyukjae’s fourth year at SNU; in all these years he has never seen so much students, nor so diverse – three kinds of people altogether, interacting with one another.

 

Claws, sharp teeth, pointed ears, unnatural skin colours, even some wings and tails – Hyukjae watches them all from the first floor, eyes wide and shining with wonder. He’s never been so close to magical creatures before. His family made sure of that. Not that they hate the non-human people or discriminate them (not on purpose anyway) – they’re just over-protective parents who live by “better safe than sorry”.

 

In this fairy tale-like scenery, humans seem minority. It’s hard to tell which one of the two sides – human or non – has a bigger number; but the fantastic beings sure stand out more, shunning the humans, who seem little and irrelevant in the shadows of the creatures’ greatness.

 

Then there is of course, the third kind: the half-humans, the shapeshifters – the werewolves, the hybrids, and the people who can simply take an animal form. They are not as obvious as the magical creatures, they bear no freaky characteristics that would potentially scare you - except for the hybrids, with their animal ears and tails flickering behind them. Their special features are subtle, almost not there if you don’t pay attention to details – usually weird hair and eye colours.

 

Hyukjae scoffs as his eyes follow a blue mop of hair moving about the campus, only to get distracted by another magenta one.

 

Shapeshifters, he thinks sourly. He hates them.


A/N: Hello! This is just a short prologue to introduce the atmosphere, the main conflict, and a bit of one of the main characters. I'm still debating if I should write in Hyukjae's POV only or switch between POV's. I guess it depends on how the story will develop, considering that - except for the plot - I kinda make everything up as I go.

(I don't know why I'm telling you this, please ignore me. I lack human interaction so I compensate by rambling on the internet.)