Some

Say the Name

A/N: This takes place in an American high school meaning that there are four grades – freshman, sophomore, junior, senior. Seungcheol, Jeonghan, and Jisoo are seniors; Jihoon, Soonyoung, Junhui, and Wonwoo are juniors (like me lol); Mingyu, Seokmin and Minghao are sophomores; and Seunggwan, Hansol, and Chan are freshmen.


요즘 따라
내꺼인 듯 내꺼 아닌 내꺼 같은 너
니꺼인 듯 니꺼 아닌 니꺼 같은 나
이게 무슨 사이인 건지 사실 헷갈려
무뚝뚝하게 굴지마
 
연인인 듯 연인 아닌 연인 같은 너
나만 볼 듯 애매하게 날 대하는 너
때로는 친구 같다는 말이
괜히 요즘 난 듣기 싫어 졌어
 

          “I don’t get it,” Xu Minghao says one day at lunch, staring at the duo across the room.

          “Get what?” Wen Junhui, his roommate (they were both transfer students from China and all student part of the transfer program shared the same dorm), asks. Junhui follows his gaze until he too, is looking at the couple still in line outside of the canteen. Minghao and Junhui were in the same class third period – Korean – and their teacher always let them out ten minutes before the period was actually supposed to end. Other than the fact that they had to constantly explain – in halting Korean – that they weren’t skipping class to the other professors, this small advantage allowed them to skip the hilariously long wait for food.

          “Them,” Minghao replies unhelpfully, eyes trained on the back of a tall, black haired man. He watches as the older man laughs before he easily slings his hand over the other, much shorter, person’s shoulder.

          “You’re not being very descriptive Minghao,” Kwon Soonyoung points out, drumming his fingers on the table. Soonyoung, unlike 90% of the students at Pledis, opted to bring his own lunch every day rather than wait in line for hours before digging into a meal of less than satisfactory cafeteria food. “I know your Korean isn’t as good as Jun’s but you could at least try harder than that.”

          “They,” Minghao tries again, making wild gesticulations in the air to try to explain his point – seeing as he was having trouble finding the right words. “Seungcheol hyung and Jihoon hyung act like they’re... what’s the word?”

          “Dating,” Junhui supplies in Chinese, causing Minghao to turn towards him and nod energetically. “Unfortunately, I don’t know what that word is in Korean either.” Minghao pouts, saddened at the language barrier between him and his friends, but Soonyoung understood anyways. After all, he had known Jihoon and Seungcheol the longest out of the three of them and had often wondered if the two said boys were actually in a relationship.

          “Dating,” Soonyoung says, snapping his fingers to get the two Chinese boys to look at him. “Da-t-ing, that’s the word you’re looking for. And I don’t know, Jihoon and Seungcheol hyung have been friends forever, by now they’re practically a married couple but I think Seungcheol hyung was dating that other guy, Doyoon hyung? I heard they broke up though.”

          “I still don’t get it,” Minghao states, brain reeling at the many Korean sentences Soonyoung had just thrown at him. The older boy knew that Minghao was still learning, so he had deliberately slowed down and enunciated everything clearly, but the cafeteria was loud and there were too many things happening at once so Minghao had been kind of distracted (how did the girl across the room get ketchup on her back of her shoulder?).

          “Get what?” a new voice asks, causing the trio to whip around and stare at the newly arrived couple (they really were a couple this time). Kim Mingyu sits down next to Junhui and his boyfriend, Jeon Wonwoo, takes his place next to him. “What’s everyone talking about?” Mingyu continues when no one volunteers an answer to his first question.

          “They’re probably talking about Jihoon and Seungcheol hyung’s relationship,” Wonwoo answers, stealing one of Mingyu’s fries. “I mean, they were all staring straight at them moments ago,” Wonwoo supplies when Mingyu turns to him like he’s some sort of psychic.

          “Aren’t they just really close friends?” Mingyu replies in a sort of question-like manner. He tilts his head to the side as Wonwoo and him join the collective staring. “Jihoon hyung told me that he met Seungcheol hyung back in kindergarten when some kid stole Jihoon’s pink marker.”

          “But I saw them rubbing noses the other day,” Wonwoo states. “I walked back into my fourth period law class to see if I left my phone – I didn’t, Mingyu took it without asking again – and Jihoon was sitting on a desk near the back of the room. I didn’t see Seungcheol hyung at first but I noticed him soon after, practically standing over Jihoon. Their faces were really close and Jihoon’s eyes were closed so I high tailed it out of there.”

          “Whaaaat,” Soonyoung screeches, eyes wide.

          “But I thought Seungcheol hyung was dating Doyoon hyung,” a new voice states, causing the group to turn around in surprise (Mingyu almost fell out of his chair). “Isn’t that what you said Hansol hyung?” Lee Chan, the youngest of the group (he was actually supposed to be in middle school but he managed to skip a grade), sits down beside Soonyoung. The other two freshman of the squad, Bu Seunggwan and Chwe Hansol, sit down next to him. The table was almost fully crowded at this point, with only a little bit of space left for the remaining members of their group.

          “Yeah, Seungcheol hyung told me they were,” Hansol replies. “But I think they broke up last week since I remember Jisoo hyung telling me how the girls in his data class were ecstatic that Doyoon hyung was back on the market.”

          “Then are they a thing?” Junhui questions after Hansol nods.

          “Wait, but wasn’t Jihoon hyung dating someone else too?” Mingyu pipes up, thinking deeply. “He left my house yesterday because he got a sudden phone call from someone named ‘jagiya’ on his phone.”

          “I didn’t think Jihoon was the type of person to give cheesy nicknames,” Soonyoung muttered, causing Wonwoo to smack him because he was going off on a tangent again. “Maybe he went to go meet Seungcheol hyung?”

          “No, I was with Seungcheol hyung yesterday,” Junhui states. “Minghao and I were asking him and Soonyoung about our literature homework. We were all at the library.”

          “But wait,” Soonyoung remembers, “didn’t Seungcheol hyung leave early too?”

          “He said he had to go somewhere but he didn’t tell us where,” Minghao nods.

          “So they’re dating?” Chan concludes, albeit hesitantly since they didn’t have much information.

          “Who’s dating?” Lee Seokmin, the last remaining member of the lunch group (other than the couple they had been gossiping about) asks as he slips in between Soonyoung and Chan.

          “Jihoon and Seungcheol hyung,” Soonyoung fills the younger boy in. A moment of silence overtakes the table as everyone thinks and eats.

          “Why is everyone so quiet?” Jihoon’s melodic voice causes everyone at the table to jump, surprised that the couple they had been gossiping about arrived. With a confused yet judgemental expression upon his face, Jihoon and Seungcheol painfully slip into the remaining space at the table. “Seriously, you guys look like you’re all stuck on a calculus problem.”

          “Calcu-what,” Seunggwan stutters, brain hurting at the mention of math.

          “Don’t hurt their innocent minds yet Jihoon; they don’t even know what a sinusoidal function is,” Soonyoung smirks, quickly changing the conversation since he was pretty sure Mingyu was very close to blurting out that they had been talking about Jihoon and Seungcheol’s love life.

          “Ah, to be stuck in freshman math, learning about slope,” Jihoon says cheekily causing Seunggwan to pout and mumble something about ‘slope is hard sometimes okay’. The rest of the lunch period went well; it was a miracle that so much of their group landed the same lunch period but they all ended up having 3C lunch (although Mingyu had switched his third period history class in order to have the same lunch period as Wonwoo and Chan had to drop out of his environmental science class because it conflicted with his schedule). Unfortunately, Jeonghan and Jisoo had 3A lunch since they were seniors while Seungcheol had third period spare (which Jihoon about because really, the only good spares were first and fourth period) so he had lunch 3A, B, and C.

          The atmosphere, although cheerful as always, still had an underlying ulterior motive. Everyone was observing Seungcheol and Jihoon for any signs that supported their suspicion that the couple was well, actually a couple. From staring at their small interactions, to offering both of them a cookie (Mingyu’s idea, and they just broke it in half to share), the entire group was becoming to get increasingly frustrated. Despite the massive amounts of evidence they had that they were dating, at the current moment they were acting like they were friends. Anyone walking past would see that their relationship was platonic, not romantic, and it was really annoying the other members of the group. So much, that at the end of the school day, they all gathered at the front of the school.

          “So why are we here again?” Jisoo asks, fidgeting with the strap of his backpack.

          “Jihoon was mad about something in fourth period so I told Seungcheol about it so he’s probably going to go comfort him meaning we can stalk them and figure out what’s really up,” Soonyoung answers after filling Jeonghan and Jisoo in on their plan. “Now hide! Seungcheol’s coming!”

          “I don’t know how you’re going to hide all eleven of us in this bush,” Junhui points out as Soonyoung pushes him into the shrubbery.

          “It’ll work as long as you believe,” Soonyoung replies, crouching down beside him after convincing everyone to hide in the stupid bush. It actually works somehow, seeing as Seungcheol walks right past them a couple minutes later. The group waits for a couple of minutes before jumping out of the bush – scaring a group of female students – and began trailing Seungcheol.

          “Is he going to Jihoon’s house?” Chan asks ten minutes later as they turn into a familiar street.

          “Well I’m assuming Seungcheol would go to Jihoon’s house since Jihoon’s mad?” Wonwoo replies.

          “Wait, how’d you know that?” Soonyoung interrogates Wonwoo, causing the entire group to stop and physically separate the two boys. “Are you an undercover spy Wonwoo?!”

          “What the hell Soonyoung?” Wonwoo deadpans. “Are you right in the head?”

          “Calm down,” Jeonghan says while he pats Soonyoung on the back while Mingyu snakes a protective arm around Wonwoo’s waist. “Anyways, we’ve lost him now. If he’s really going to Jihoon’s house, does anyone know how to get there from here?”

          “I think, you, turn right here?” Mingyu says haltingly. Everyone else shrugs. No one really paid attention to directions and Seungcheol was usually the one that drove them when they met at Jihoon’s house. Seeing as Mingyu lived the closest to Jihoon, they decide to trust him and head off in the direction of his finger.


          “Kim Mingyu, I love you but I don’t love your sense of direction,” Wonwoo announces when the boys pass by the same park the nth time.

          “I thought you knew where you were going,” Seunggwan complains sassily. Half of them were sitting on the curb, resting their tired feet, while the other half was trying to use Jisoo’s data to figure out where the hell they were.

          “I said I think this was the right way, obviously I was wrong,” Mingyu sighs. He rests his head on Wonwoo’s shoulder (having to slouch because he was too tall to be normal); causing Wonwoo to gently remind him that slouching was bad for his posture. “I don’t caaare, I’m tiiiiiired.”

          “And whose fault is that?” Hansol mutters under his breath, shaking a stone out of his shoe.

          “I think I found the way,” Jisoo finally announces a couple minutes later, causing everyone to get up and cheer. They follow Jisoo’s trusty phone (Soonyoung’s data had run out, Seokmin’s signal never worked, Wonwoo’s phone was dead because Mingyu had taken it and forgotten to charge it over night, Seunggwan’s phone had been confiscated because he had sassed his first period science teacher, Minghao and Junhui’s phones were entirely in Chinese, and no one else had data with their plan) and eventually make their way back Jihoon’s house (they were supposed to turn left, not right). Sighing in relief, the group decides to throw the stalking plan out the window and knock on Jihoon’s door.

          “Jihoon, long story short, Mingyu’s an idiot and our feet hurt so we’re crashing here,” Soonyoung announces when Jihoon opens the door. Jihoon is then pushed lightly to the side as all eleven of them filed into his house.

          “Uhm, okay then,” Jihoon stutters in surprise, closing the door behind them. He watches as the group makes themselves comfortable in his living room. “Do you guys want something to drink?” Jihoon asks (like the good host he was forced to be) before going into the kitchen to make everyone’s drinks (why the hell Seunggwan needed mineral water was beyond him but he doubted the younger boy would be able to tell if he got tap water instead).

          “So I guess our plans are ruined?” a pair of hands slip around Jihoon’s waist as the boy is filling Seunggwan’s cup with water. Seungcheol rests his head on top of Jihoon’s and hums lightly as Jihoon continues to fill the other cups with other liquids.

          “We never had plans in the first place,” Jihoon states.

          “Well, maybe things would’ve ended differently if they didn’t show up,” Seungcheol retorts, standing up to help Jihoon with the beverages.

          “Did you want things to end differently?” Jihoon raises an eyebrow.

          “Maybe,” Seungcheol smirks, leaning down to kiss Jihoon on the temple before walking into the room. “Who’s thirsty?”

          “Mingyu hyung’s always thirsty for Wonwoo hyung but this time it’s all of us,” Seunggwan replies, causing Wonwoo to choke on his spit and Mingyu to turn bright red. “Although we’re not thirsting after Wonwoo hyung.”

          “Shut up Seunggwan,” Mingyu stutters, before thanking Jihoon when he hands him his drink. “You’re just jealous you’re not in a relationship.”

          “Yes, it’d be nice to be dating someone wouldn’t it?” Seungcheol says, causing everyone in the room to stare at him (other than Jihoon of course).

          “Mhmm,” Jihoon hums, and the two share a knowing look before Seunggwan breaks the silence.

          “Jihoon hyung what the hell this is tap water!” he shouts, glaring at Jihoon who merely shrugs.

          “I don’t have mineral water,” Jihoon says in reply, causing Seunggwan to stand up and raid Jihoon’s fridge. Jisoo and Jihoon go after him to stop the diva from breaking anything and Seungcheol shrugs before turning on the TV. The rest of the group soon becomes distracted as a re-run of Dream Team appears on the screen. Confused at the change in topic and not understanding the rapid Korean from the screen, Minghao turns to Junhui with a confused expression.

          “What is it Minghao?” Junhui asks, scooting closer to the younger boy in order to hear him better (the rest of the squad had separated into different groups based on preference and were cheering loudly for their team to win).

          “I still don’t get it.”

 

These days,
It feels like you’re mine, it seems like you’re mine but not

It feels like I’m yours, it seems like I’m yours but not
What are we?
I’m confused, don’t be aloof

It feels like we’re lovers,
It seems like we’re lovers but not
Whenever you see me, you act so vague to me
These days, I hate hearing that I’m just like a friend


Okay, that was really bad and I’m so sorry I tried to write this request a million (three) times but I just didn’t like what I wrote =/ so this is what came out instead. I kind of related it back to my other fic, What If, because I couldn’t think of anything. This was requested by Dango27 and the prompt was “Jicheol – Some”. As an apology to you at my failure of writing a good oneshot, I’ll post another oneshot dedicated to you in the next couple of days (maybe even later today). I originally wrote that one based on this prompt but then I realized that it didn’t really fit. I still liked what I wrote though so I’ll give it to you for free. I sound like a business don’t I?

Anyways, I said the high school was in America but really, I based it on mine and I live in Canada. If you don’t understand the 3ABC lunch thing then it’s okay, you’re not alone, I don’t really understand it either. Basically third period is split into 3 sub periods, A, B, and C. Each one is 45 minutes long. 3A happens right after second period ends, 3B at 11:30, and 3C at 12:15. If you have 3A lunch you go to the cafeteria (or out to eat whatever) at 3A, eat lunch, and then go to your third period class for BC. It’s weird though when you have 3B lunch because you go to class for 3A, leave your class and eat lunch for 3B, and then go back to your third period class for 3C. O.o I didn’t understand it and I had 3B lunch last year. This year I have 3C and I cry every day because I cannot wait until 12:15 to eat lunch help me. The only good thing is that 3C lunch feels the longest.

This is also cross posted on my Tumblr.

In any case, thanks for reading and I do not own anything in this story other than the idea and plot, any similarities to other works of fiction are purely coincidental or have been used as sources of inspiration. Please do not repost this anywhere without my permission; plagiarism isn’t nice!

Hope you’re smiling!

~ Alateni