003

False Haven

Wonwoo decided to join the badminton game, deeming himself too lazy to play soccer.

He was playing doubles, teamed up with Seungkwan and going against two Chinese boys, Minghao and Junhui. He wasn't keeping track, but he was definitely sure that the Chinese team were winning by a landslide. Seungkwan had been bickering about the loss he's suffering but nevertheless kept playing.

The opposing team definitely had a kick from Seungkwan's reaction, both who barely were repressing their smiles as they hit down the shuttlecock with their rackets.

Wonwoo couldn't blame his partner for being frustrated. The two seemed to have gained a lot of practice and played strategically. With the little time he's been playing this game, it seemed that Junhui and Minghao were extremely close with each other. But not only that..

These guys were relentless.

With each overhead hit from the opposing team, the shuttlecock would whip across to the other side, making it nearly impossible to catch up. More than half the time, Wonwoo would be lucky to be able to return the hit. Junhui was kind enough to go easy, often hitting the shuttlecock underhandedly. Minghao, unfortunately, didn't bother following his example.

"Oh my god-" Seungkwan stumbled forward as he aimlessly swung his racket, the shuttlecock hitting the floor and earning the opposing team a point. "Stop doing that!" He noisily complained, picking up the shuttlecock and flinging around his racket towards Minghao. The opponent could only snicker at his reaction. One of the spectators of the game, Hansol, made a comment, "Seungkwan, you signed yourself up to do the impossible. This is Junhui and Minghao's sport."

Seungkwan threw Hansol a look before he served underhandedly, attempting to stay calm as he exhaled. Junhui stepped forward and underhanded gently enough for the shuttlecock to travel gracefully across. As Junhui was across Wonwoo, he stepped forward and swung from his right, feeling the small object hit against his racket. It was then given back to Junhui, much to Seungkwan's relief, and aimed towards the agitated player. Seungkwan swung from his left, making the shuttlecock fly right in front of Minghao.

Wonwoo prepared to retaliate, gripping the rubbery handle of the racket in anticipation. It was likely to skim right above the top of their makeshift badminton net and land close to it. Just as Minghao was about to bat the shuttlecock down, Wonwoo placed his racket in an underhanded position. Hearing the impact, he jerked forward and surprisingly saved the shuttlecock from hitting the ground. It bounced from the racket, flying to the other side of the net. Minghao reacted fast, lifting his racket just above his head.

Seungkwan screamed as he leaped in front and flung his racket. He blocked the shuttlecock, resulting in it landing on the ground between Minghao and Junhui. "Yes!" Seungkwan tossed his racket aside and threw his hands up in celebration. The two Chinese boys could only smile. What Seungkwan did was unfair, startling Minghao from his concentration, but they decided to humour him and let him have his moment.

"Mingyu, again?!" Seungcheol yelled. Wonwoo turned around as he saw the soccer players' heads point towards the river. Mingyu sheepishly scratched the back of his head, smiling at the exasperated leader figure. Junhui rolled his eyes while he smiled, "Ah, he kicked the ball into the river again. Typical Mingyu."

The culprit was being scolded by Seungcheol, playfully smacking his shoulder as he reminded, "That was the third time within the last few weeks!" Chan ran back into the storage room and fetched a new soccer ball, seeming to have already gotten used to Mingyu's antics.

Wonwoo reverted his attention back to his badminton partner, who was content with his accomplishment as he sat himself down on the ground. "Wow, I'm sweating like crazy," Seungkwan fanned himself with his hands and aired out his shirt. Wonwoo was, too. But if anything else, his wrist was starting to hurt from playing. Seungkwan lightened up, raising his voice, "Hey, it's almost lunch time! What's for lunch today?"

Jihoon, who was spectating the soccer match, removed his focus from the guitar in his hands and answered, "We have to use the beef soon, use that!" One of Mingyu's teammates, Soonyoung, turned to him, "Hey, you lost the ball again, cook for all of us." Mingyu opened his mouth to object but Seungcheol asserted, "Everybody, Mingyu's cooking beef for us today!" A chorus of cheers immediately rang out from all directions, forcing Mingyu to take the job.

The newly appointed chef met eyes with Wonwoo, nodding towards the kitchen, "Want to help me out?" Wonwoo shrugged, though he did want to take a break from being destroyed at badminton. Behind him, Hansol sat up and raised his hand, "I'll take your place if you want!" Wonwoo gave his racket up, passing it to the boy. Before he could make his way to help out in the kitchen, Hansol grabbed him by the shoulder, "Watch over Mingyu, okay?" Wonwoo threw a questioning look, but Hansol only gave a knowing nudge and began playing the match.

 

Mingyu already took the intiative to work fast and had set out the ingredients on top of the wooden counters. There were a few pounds of beef laid out in front of him on the cutting board. Wonwoo walked up beside him and saw that he was cutting the beef into thin strips. "Oh," Mingyu whipped his head to the right, "you helping me out?" "Yup," Wonwoo confirmed. The other let out a sigh of relief, "Thanks, that really takes a load off."

"So what can I do?" He asked, Mingyu didn't need time to think on it, "Can you cook the rice? You'll have to cook it on the stove. Just take the big pot, it should be in the cabinet to the right of the it." Wonwoo walked up to the counter on the stove's right, crouching down and opening the cabinet. Without further thought, he pried out the biggest pot, careful not to topple off the rest of the pots and pans stacked there. Beside the counters, he saw a five gallon water jug stationed into a ceramic water dispenser. "Is half a pot of rice fine?" He inquired, and Mingyu gave a positive hum.

He carefully filled the pot with water, deeming it enough when the surface reached slightly past halfway the pot. He put it on the gas stove top and turned the dial, allowing the water to boil first. He heard something being laid out and turned his head to Mingyu, pointing to another cutting board next to him. A bag of broccoli sat on top of it and a cutting knife laid beside it. Wonwoo wordlessly took on the next task.

It was silent between them for a while, both focused on their own tasks. Wonwoo contemplated on beginning a conversation, but he wasn't so sure if he was any good at that, so he kept his mouth shut. 

They could still hear the others playing outside, the mix of laughter and shouting voices ringing nearby in the joyful noon. They continued. But in the corner of his eye, Wonwoo saw Mingyu stiffen and pause. Within a few seconds later, he let out a sneeze.

He let out a sneeze into his hand.

It was alright, Wonwoo didn't really care too much. As long as he wiped his hand clean somewhere, it was fine- 

But he didn't.

In the corner of his eye, he saw as Mingyu unhesitantly reached for the beef and touched it with the same hand he sneezed on.

Wonwoo nearly froze on the spot, pursing his lips and repressing himself from shrivelling in disgust. Was this what Hansol was talking about? His lack of basic hygiene? He didn't stop cutting the broccoli, and though he tried not to, he may have become a bit judgmental towards the clueless guy doing his own task beside him.

'Freakin' nasty..'