fin.

faces to call home

 

The clock on the wall shows twenty past nine when Mark finally arrives home. He had been working since nine in the morning; attending two meetings, making deals with clients, finishing deadlines, so, to say that he is exhausted is an understatement. All Mark really needs right now is a long, hot shower and his beloved husband.

“Jinyoung? I’m home.” Mark calls, half shouting.

But instead of Jinyoung, a white little bundle of fluff comes out of the direction of their room, making its way towards Mark. Once it reaches his legs, the said little thing that is Mark and Jinyoung’s puppy looks up and woofs.

At that sight, Mark squeals internally. He then crouches down and carries the puppy in his arms.

“Aww, my baby girl! How was your day? Daddy missed you,” Mark coos as he kisses its nose.

Coco, the puppy, only woofs some more. If only she could talk, she would definitely say that she had missed her daddy too.

 

Mark and Jinyoung had been married for a year and two months when they decided a new addition is needed in their little family.  The couple had been considering about adopting an actual baby at first, because they had always dreamt of having a daughter. But then they realized raising a child would cost a large amount of money, and they weren’t sure if their jobs as a regular employee and a journalist would be able to cover the living expenses of another  human being. So they settled for a puppy instead.

The day they went to the pet shop, Mark--being the dog trash that he is--had immediately set his eyes on the tiny Maltese. She looked really small, delicate, and beautiful. When Mark carried it in his arms, it felt like he was holding his own baby, it was like he was someone’s father.

Jinyoung was no different. He had that breathtaking smile on his face as he cradled the puppy and rocked her back and forth, like what a mother would do to her firstborn. It was a perfectly beautiful sight for Mark, and he decided that this cute puppy was the closest to daughter they could have for the time being.

Now it has been a year since Coco became the third resident of the house, with the married couple treating her as if she was their own baby. Even though Mark’s working from nine to six every day and Jinyoung’s  busy with his articles, they always try to make time for the little girl. And it’s actually easier since Jinyoung can do his work at home. However, there are days when they both have too many work to do and ask their next door neighbor, Youngjae, to take care of Coco. The boy is a sophomore at university and is very kind, not to mention seems to adore Coco so much, so Mark and Jinyoung doesn’t have to worry because they know their baby is in the right hands.

 

 “Coco? Where are you? Oh- Mark, you’re home,”

Mark looks up to the sight of the person he’s been missing all day. Jinyoung is standing in front of him, clad in nothing but Mark’s white baggy sweatshirt.

“Hey, babe. I’ve missed you.” Mark says, getting up from his sitting position on the floor to wrap his arms around Jinyoung’s slender waist.

“Missed you too. You’re really late today.” Jinyoung responds as he burries his face in the junction between Mark’s neck and shoulder, then leaves a peck on it.

“Yeah, got hella lots of stuff to do. But well, I’m home now.”

Jinyoung hums. “Did you eat yet?”

“No, didn’t have the time to.”

Jinyoung frowns, hating the fact that his husband always forgets to eat whenever he’s drown in his piles of work. “Go shower. I’ll heat the food for you, I made kimchi jiggae.”

Mark smiles and mutters a “Mmkay, thanks babe”, then makes his way to the bathroom, but not before pressing a chaste kiss to Jinyoung’s lips.

 

When Mark had finally finished eating, Jinyoung ushered him to go sleep first while he washed the dishes. But as he enters their bedroom, he finds his husband lying shirtless in the bed with Coco on top of his abdomen.

“Why are you still awake? Aren’t you tired?” Jinyoung asks as he walks towards the bed.

“I am. But this baby wants to play, I think she missed me a lot. Didn’t you miss your Daddy as well?” Mark smirks.

Jinyoung pouts, but nonetheless sits at the end of the bed. “Of course I missed you.”

"C'mere," Mark says as he beckons Jinyoung to come closer.

He spreads his legs so his husband can sit in between them. Once they're settled in a comfortable spooning position, Jinyoung rests his head on Mark's bare chest as the latter puts Coco on Jinyoung's lap.

"My babies," Mark says, wrapping his arms around Jinyoung and petting Coco with his palms. "How I wish I could just do this every night and day without worrying about work and other ty stuff."

Jinyoung looks up from his position, leaving butterfly kisses along Mark's jaw. "But if you don't work, you can't feed us your babies, you know."

Coco suddenly barks, as if trying to say that she agrees with Jinyoung.

"See? Even Coco agrees with me! You want Daddy to work for you and Mommy right, baby?"

Mark smiles at that. He loves it when Jinyoung calls himself 'Mommy', it makes him feel like they are real parents, even if it's only of a puppy. And Mark swears to himself that he will do anything to make both of his babies happy.

“Alright, alright. Daddy will work harder for the both of you,” he finally says, laughing. “Now, give Daddy a kiss.”

Jinyoung giggles upon hearing that, but then shifts from his position to sit on Mark’s thigh, so he can see his his husband’s face. He presses his lips to Mark’s left cheek while Mark brings Coco to leave another kiss on his right one.

“I love you both so much,” Mark says, kissing the crown of Jinyoung’s head and then Coco’s.

“We love you too,” Jinyoung mumbles sleepily as he nuzzles into Mark’s chest. Coco barks again, making Mark’s heart swells in happiness.

They finally call it a day and lay themselves properly on the bed. Mark and Jinyoung facing each other, with the former’s left arm draped securely around Jinyoung’s waist.  Coco, being the tiny puppy that she is, comfortably lies in the small space between her parents’ bodies.

Mark takes one last glance at the sight before him, thinking that he’ll be okay with working for hours every single day, as long as he can come home to his two favorite puppies. They are a little happy family, and Mark is more than grateful for that.

He wouldn’t trade it for the world.