.04

Manic Pixie Dream Boy

Pop Culture Acting was the only class that Sungyeol didn’t need help in. Every Tuesday and Thursday, he’d actually sit in the front with me and pay attention, because it was something he loved doing. We were currently watching an example of a melodrama scene, with two of our students.

The actor’s character was Shi Woo, a problematic idol with a mischievous streak. The actress’ character was Se Na, an aspiring songwriter.

Finishing up an ultimately fluffy, warm and fuzzy feelings scene together, the kids in the lecture clapped appropriately. Mildly satisfied, my professor asked us for commentary.

Shi Woo’s actor seemed like he was still basking in the scene, proud of himself for pulling it off. He smiled, bobbing his head from side to side as he waited. He was a decent actor, not as amazing as Sungyeol or quadruple-threat Howon, but he was a hard worker. His dedication to it astounded me, and he reveled in every class opportunity he had to do better than his last scene.

My professor asked again, since no one wanted to speak up.

Sungyeol nudged me with his shoulder, and because he was so tall he swiped me on the forehead. I shot him a glare, but raised my hand anyway.

“Rather than discussing their chemistry, I want to stress their relationship outline. It’s destined to fail, because the writers create an established relationship with another guy. However, despite that Shi Woo and Se Na work well, the writers fail to support any reason why they shouldn’t be together. Through this, they put the blame on Shi Woo’s reckless past, an unresolved plot hole that fails to conclude because Shi Woo’s character had done his job of being a relatively harmless third wheel.” I explained, “But then again, Se Na’s character was just about as underdeveloped and interesting as cardboard, so maybe she was a match for the other male lead.”

I couldn’t help but smile to myself when the room fell silent, even the professor couldn’t deny that I’ve made a good point. And from that, he took my answer and melded it into the next activity.

“Alright, you guys took an improv class, let’s do some improv.” he clapped, and beamed at Soo Jung, the current Se Na, and Shi Woo’s actor. “We’ll keep Shi Woo exactly as you did before, so you stay in character, and we’ll have a new Se Na to refute the writer’s failure in character development.”

Several female students’ hands shot up. I jabbed Sungyeol lightly with my pen. “You should play Se Na, you two have better chemistry than any of those girls ever will.” I said, which earned a chuckle from Sungjong, who was a seat behind. “He’s looking at you, too.”

Sungyeol smirked, and poked me back. “Oh, I’m not so sure it’s me he’s looking at.”

I felt my professor’s voice direct to me, and we made fated eye contact. “Since you seem so hell bent on Se Na’s character, why don’t you be Se Na?”

Giggles trilled around the room. The temperature in my body dropped ten fold. Sungyeol gave me a smile of both mischief and support, and I felt my body move on my own accord, unable to reject my professor. Somehow, I ended up next to my professor, who seemed pleased that I agreed. My class participation grade better thank me later.

“And now we have our Se Na and Shi Woo. Continue from the last scene.” our professor instructed.

I turned to my Shi Woo, who flashed me a reassuring smile. My spine made a weird jolt, ice cold from my stomach, meeting the fiery heat flooding from my face. It’s not like I’ve never been this close to him before, but it was the intimacy, and the fact that he was focusing on me.

“Se Na,” he said, his voice reluctantly heavy. “I’ll be leaving for two weeks. Overseas activities. I can’t contact you on my phone, so I’m telling you now.”

At this point, Se Na would just stare listlessly as if she was listening to a rock.

“Where will you be going?” Se Na asked.

Something flickered in Shi Woo’s eyes, vulnerability. “Japan. And then Taiwan the next week.” he folded his hands in his pockets. “I’m going to miss you.”

“I’ll miss you, too.” Se Na smiled, her face naturally leaning in to get closer to him. “Who else am I going to go over compositions with?”

“You know, a part of me is surprised you’d even ask what I’m doing. Considering my public life isn’t so glamorous.” he said ruefully, taking out his phone. “So whenever you miss me, you can look at this.” Se Na checks her phone, smiling to herself. She hears the faint shutter of Shi Woo’s phone. “And this will be mine.”

“I’ll listen to your music as well.” Se Na corrects, “Our music.” Trying to avoid the way Shi Woo’s stare was piercing through her heart, she opens her camera app. Her phone felt slick, her palm starting to sweat. “I think we should take a picture together, instead.”

Shi Woo didn’t argue, nor agree as Se Na leaned into his tall figure. He started to hesitate, his eyes starting to dart back and forth between the camera and her. “One, two,”

And before he could take it back, he brought his lips to her cheek. It was just a brush, it hardly counted because she could barely feel it, but it electrified Se Na’s senses to hyperdrive.

Shi Woo’s throat bobbed down, presumably feeling just as awkward. “I hope you like the picture. I’ll see you when I get back.”

He turned to go, and Se Na finally snapped to life, grabbing his wrist. “Wait, you can’t just kiss someone and leave like that!”

Bewildered, Shi Woo looked back and forth for help, however no one was around. “Then, what do you want me to do?”

“I just want you to listen.” and she carefully let go of his wrist, clutching her small hands between his fingers. “I hope after this is all over we can sort things out. And not just between us, between our careers, and responsibilities. When you get back, I help you through whatever you want me to do, not half-heartedly sneaking pizza up to your hotel room, but because I know you’d do the same for me, so thank you.” she smiled hopefully, “Have a safe trip, take care of yourself.”

And just as she was about to let go, Shi Woo held onto her hands, a genuine smile growing on his lips.

“I like this version of you better.”

And the spell was broken. Everything was so organic, I didn’t even realize it was over, or if I was actually playing a character. I blinked, to MPDB letting go of my hands like deadweight, looking embarrassed as he bowed quickly to the crowd. It was the most personal contact I had with him, and I wasn’t even myself. It was bittersweet, as I quickly followed him to bow to our students.

Professor thanked us, and dismissed our class. Sungjong was waiting out the door, waving his phone around teasingly. “I have pictures!”

I lead him out of the room, shaking my head and quelling my heart to stop beating like I was having a panic attack. “Did I do well?”

“Perfect,” Sungjong sighed listlessly, “now, if only you could talk like that in real life.”