Part One

The Good Stuff

Part One:

Yoongi sat in his chair thinking about all the good times he had spent with Jimin over the years.  He thought about his life and how he had met Jimin.  He was feeling extremely tired these days, after all he was 89 and living in a home with his youngest son’s family.  Then he recalled the night when he had an extremely important epiphany, thanks to an old ahjusshi that Yoongi was sure had to be dead by now. Nevertheless, he let his mind wander back to the time when Jimin and he were brand new newlyweds.

_____________________________________________________________

Yoongi stormed out of his apartment. He and Jimin just had their first big fight as newlyweds and he had to admit that he was really mad.  He knew dancing was important to Jimin, but the boy was constantly at his dance studio from early in the morning to late at night. He was overworking himself to the point where Jimin had gotten himself sick. Every time Yoongi tried to bring it up to Jimin, he would dismiss it saying he was fine. Yet every time Yoongi caught a glimpse of Jimin’s swollen feet or his stomach that was a bit too thin, his temper would flair again.

But still, Jimin argued that this was really important and just because they were married now, doesn’t mean he was going to give up on his dream. It made Yoongi furious and he didn’t want to be in the same room with Jimin anymore for the time being.  So he got in his car and drove to find the furthest bar away from their apartment.

He turned the corner and saw a flashing neon sign that spoke to him for a reason. It just seemed right so he pulled up and went inside.  The bar was absolutely empty; no one was in there except for the bartender. An old ahjusshi, who looked so tired that Yoongi was sure the old man was gonna fall asleep on the spot.

But instead, the ahjusshi stood up and walked over to where Yoongi had just sat down in front of him.

“What’ll it be?” the man asked.  Yoongi thought for a second.

“The good stuff, please, ”  He finally said.  But the ahjusshi didn’t reach around to get soju and he didn’t move to get beer or whisky. Instead, the ahjusshi’s eyes started to water a little and sad expression crossed his wrinkled face.

“Sorry, but you can’t find that here” the man said. Yoongi was confused.

“Why?” he asked.

The ahjusshi just gave a sad smile.

“Because it’s the first kiss with the person you had been trying to get the attention of for a long time.”

On the outside Yoongi looks composed but on the inside, Yoongi was bouncing off the walls. He had just gathered the courage to ask the cute dancer boy out that he had met a while ago on a date and he had said yes! Yoongi practically pranced home, changing into the clothes that he saved for important occasions.  He smiled to himself, he had known Jimin for over six months, as he had started training at the same company Yoongi was working in as a songwriter.

His friend Namjoon worked there too as a rapper and writer and he had told Yoongi that there was an extremely cute new backup dancer that was supposed to start work there.  Yoongi went to sit in at a practice and he saw Jimin for the first time. He was stunning when Yoongi first laid eyes on him, they were about the same height but the boy had chubby cheeks and a bright smile all throughout the dance he performed. He wasn’t even supposed to be drawing attention to himself, but he was moving so gracefully yet powerfully at the same time that it was impossible for him not to draw attention to himself.

Yoongi had been busy writing with Namjoon; they were supposed to be forming a hip hop duo soon and they needed to work extra hard.  So when Namjoon told him that the new dancer was a fan of their work, Yoongi wanted to formally meet him. So he and Namjoon went up to him and asked him to dinner. They talked and laughed and Yoongi asked him about dance. He learned his name was Park Jimin and that he was a fan of their work, just as Namjoon had told him.

Yoongi couldn’t help but mention that he went into the dance studios when the dancers were practicing every now and then and watched Jimin perform. Jimin was surprisingly easy for Yoongi to talk to, despite the boy being three years younger than him.

They got each others SNS contacts and ended up talking for weeks and eventually they exchanged actually phone numbers and arranged to go hang out at places other than restaurants and hanging in the studio all day long.  With Yoongi and Namjoon’s time being constantly stretched thin and Jimin having to constantly be at the dance studio it was tough to make time to see each other, but they eventually made it work.

Then Yoongi asked Jimin out on a real date. To say the younger was surprised would be an understatement. He hadn’t realized Yoongi liked him like that and at first Yoongi was worried he had overstepped his boundaries but when Jimin smiled and accepted his invitation, everything was alright in Yoongi’s world once again.

Their date was amazing. They didn’t do anything special but they  went to a restaurant and then watched a movie after. Nothing out of the ordinary, but Yoongi still had the best night of his life. He had walked Jimin home, to just right outside his dorm that he shared with some of the other dancers. It was winter and it had been snowing on and off the whole night but it had just started up again.  They said their goodbyes and Jimin turned to leave when Yoongi suddenly pulled Jimin towards him and kissed him softly on the lips.

Jimin was surprised at first, but after breaking apart for a second, brought his attention back to his  lips and kissed Yoongi passionately, Jimin’s arms coming up around his shoulders.  They stayed that way in blissful harmony for a long while until Jimin went inside and Yoongi turned away walking towards his own place that he shared with Namjoon.

The ahjusshi continued, “You’re mom gets so worried when you come home, cursing at you for being out so late with a stranger she doesn’t know.”

When Yoongi walked through the door, Jin was on him instantly.

“Ya! Where have you been? Do you realize what time it is?” He inquired. When they had mentioned to others that Jin was like their mother, they hadn’t been lying. Jin had joined their company as a singer and they were quickly grouped together. At first Yoongi had been against it, but ultimately after thinking long and hard, he conceded and now Jin lived in the dorm he shared with Namjoon. Their duo had changed into a group and Jin wasn’t the only to join them.

“I was out, hyung, but I’m back now,” He said “I’m going to go to sleep.” Jin questioned further.

“Did you eat? Are you cold? Where did you guys go?” Jin continued. Namjoon appeared from the kitchen.

“Ya! Leave the guy alone, can’t you tell by the look on his face that he just got kissed.” By now the rest of the new band members were up and out. Hoseok, a rapper and dancer, and Jungkook, a singer and dancer.

“Kissed by who?” Jungkook asked, Hoseok by his side wanting to know as well.

“Who is this person?” Jin asked, offended, “Why haven’t we met him yet?”

Namjoon piped up, “Hyung, Yoongi doesn’t have to bring him home to meet us formally, we aren’t his parents. Plus, I already know Jimin.”

“Wait, Park Jimin? The dancer?” Hoseok asks. Yoongi nods.

“He’s totally cool! And he can sing too!” This was news to Yoongi.

“I want to meet him.” Jungkook pleads, “everyone knows him but me

“I want to meet him too,” Jin adds.

“Alright, alright” Yoongi says, “Next time, I will bring him here to meet you guys.”

“Then when you’re down on one knee, ready to propose, you drop the ring into the kimchi dish, because your hands are shaking so much” the ahjusshi laughed.

They were all eating dinner together. All of BTS  had met Jimin about two years ago and they had been together all that time. After a short period of time, Jimin had eventually been placed in their band as well, as did another boy named Taehyung.  Their careers had been going strong, but it was around the holidays and their entertainment group had let them have the season off, stating they had worked hard this year.

Jimin had been trying to learn to cook although most of it was cooked by Jin and Jungkook since they were the ones who cared most about the food they were eating.  Everyone was happy, eating around the table, listening to Christmas songs in the background. It wasn’t Christmas yet, but everyone felt like it was.

It was around the time the first course had been finished when Yoongi stood up from the table. The rest of BTS and Jimin looked up at him strangely, wondering why he had just stood up out of nowhere.  He asked Jimin to stand up and take a break from his food for a second to come over to where Yoongi was standing.

Jimin obliged, standing up and facing Yoongi at the head of the table with everyone’s faces turned towards them both.  Everyone was still, not knowing where Yoongi was going with this sudden act. Yoongi ignored them and he looked into Jimin eyes.

“Jiminie,” he took in one deep breathe, “I had been wanting to ask you this for a while now, so here goes.” He got down on one knee, level with the table.

He reached shakily into his pocket, and grabbed a small box and Jimin gasped along with everyone else at the table who had quickly abandoned eating to watch the scene.

Yoongi took the ring out of its box and held it up to Jimin. “Will you marry me?” he asked, his hands shaking.

Jimin was speechless while the rest of the room hooped and hollered. Yoongi normally wouldn’t have wanted to do this in front of everyone else. He was a private person by nature, but he knew that Jimin would have wanted to share this moment with everyone else. Yoongi was really really nervous. But Jimin was nodding his head uncontrollably.

Yoongi’s heart was beating erratically and his hands were shaking terribly, so instead of putting the ring on Jimin’s finger, it falls out of Yoongi’s hand and bounces off the table landing in the plate where the kimchi side dish was sitting. The room was silent and Yoongi’s face looked horrified, but it did not faze Jimin.

Instead Jimin reached right into the dish with his bae hands and scooped it up, putting it right on his finger, leaving his hands soaking in kimchi juice. He goes to the kitchen and washes his hands before running back over to Yoongi and giving him the biggest bear hug and whispering into his ear.

“Yes.”

“Next thing you know it’s your wedding day, and you want to kiss him so bad after seeing the biggest smile on his face after you say ‘I do’ but can’t because you have to wait for the officiant to tell you when.”

“Do you Park Jimin-sshi take Min Yoongi-sshi, to be your lawfully wedded husband?”

“I do” Jimin say as tears stream down his face.

“And do you Min Yoongi-sshi, take Park Jimin-sshi to be your lawfully wedded husband?”

“I do” Yoongi says and Jimin smiles the biggest smile he had ever seen, his eyes disappering completely. He looked so beautiful to Yoongi.  Jimin’s face was always beautiful, but more especially today, when he sees tears of joy in his eyes as Jimin smiles and tries to stifle  his nervous laugh as the preacher continues his speech.

All Yoongi wants to do is kiss him. Never more in his life does he want to take Jimin in his arms and feel his lips beneath his own, sealing the promise that they both are making today.  But he can’t until the preacher tells him too. They exchange rings and the preacher finally says the words Yoongi had been waiting to hear all night.

“You may now kiss your husband,” and Yoongi does, pouring all of his heart and soul into Jimin, the person he loves most in the world.

“And the whole first year, you’re eating burnt dinner because he is still learning.” The ahjusshi smiles “but then you ask for seconds to keep him from tearing up.”

Jimin had been working hard to learn how to cook  for a long while.  Jimin knew how to cook other dishes, and he wasn’t a bad cook, but learning everything was still quite a challenge. It wasn’t like learning dance steps.

But it still didn’t work out.  Jimin  burnt the rice, never learning how to cook it without a rice cooker and trying to make bimbimbap was harder than Jimin ever expected it to be.  He even messed up on making the kimchi because didn’t give it enough time to age. Jin was usually the one making all the food, but now that they lived separately from everyone else, they were on their own.

But Yoongi didn’t mind at all. Jimin set all the dishes out on the table, a hopeful look on his face.  Yoongi knew how hard Jimin had worked on it and remembered all the times he wanted to give up and just go out to dinner, but knew that a home cooked meal was what he wanted to provide.

Yoongi put the food in his mouth, and confirmed that yes; the dishes were all a little bit off. But he ate it all. Every last bit and then asked for seconds, to Jimin’s disbelief.

But he obliged and hopped up off the ground sprinting towards the kitchen to bring him more food.  Yoongi chuckled to himself.

 

To Be Continued...