Chapter 3

Memories of You

      Suzy was hoisted off of her feet and the security guards shoved her outside the building. 

      "Miss, if we you see inside, we will have to conduct the same procedure. We request full cooperation."

      "Are you kidding me?" Suzy was just baffled.

      Her mind wandered to her cafe date with Woobin where he had first introduced YinGwan to her.

      "YinGwan is known for its amiable staff," he smiled, "They look at personality and of course, educational background is important, but I've heard from my colleagues in the employment process that they just look for people who can complete work efficiently."

      "You make it sound so easy," Suzy grumbled and she took a sip of her cappuccino, "How was your interview?"

      Woobin curled in his lips.

      "Well," he replied nervously, "I didn't actually have one."

      "How is that even possible?" Suzy knit her brows.

      "I was...scouted from my previous workplace," Woobin responded shyly.

      "Seriously?" Suzy was wide-eyed, "I had no idea."

      Woobin seemed uncomfortable.

      "Eh, I don't really talk about it with other people."

      Suzy stretched her lips into a childish grin.

      "Your secret's safe with me."

      Woobin chuckled. 

      "Aigoo," he laughed and pinched her cheek.

      Suzy scowled at him.

      "I'm not a baby, you know."

      Woobin smiled warmly at her.

      (Back to the present)

      "It doesn't matter if he thought his words were the truth," Suzy sighed, "I still got kicked out."

      Minhyuk took his seat at the middle of the judging table. He grew bored watching all of the candidates answer questions with the same robotically generated content. 

      "We need diversity," he mumbled to himself as he scratched out name after name with red pen. 

      "How many candidates are left?" the director next to him asked. 

      "There's at least thirty more," Minhyuk stated, "Why are we conducting all the interviews in one day?"

      "I'm not sure of that myself," the director replied, "I'm simply following given instructions."

      Minhyuk laid down the pen. 

      "Why not a fifteen minute respite?" he suggested.

      Minhyuk walked out of the interviewing room. Immediately all of the candidates straightened their postures and their legs folded neatly. He smirked. It was all too obvious. He felt a vibration from the inner pocket of his suit jacket. 

      It was Nana. 

      oppa! are u done? 

      Minhyuk held his phone with two hands to reply. 

      no wait. 

      A response notification came right after. 

      oki :) im @ ur office. since the lunchbox got ruined, when u have your lunchbreak, eat w me today <333

      Minhyuk sighed. It wasn't like he disliked being with Nana. Today, he was too tired. 

      ill think about it. bye. 

      Nana stuck out her bottom lip once she saw "bye" in the text message. She spun around in the wheely chair in Minhyuk's office.

      "If I wait for him, he'll come," she comforted herself, "I'll just take a look at his stuff."

      She his computer. 

      "All these files..." she hummed, "Team meeting agendas, nope. Projects? Boring..."

      She shut it off. 

      There was no way Minhyuk would keep personal information on his work computer. 

      "Ugh!" she groaned as she leaned back in his chair, "This is so boring."

      She whipped out her phone and texted him again.

      oppa im bored take me somewhere.

      There was no response for the next two minutes. 

      !!!

       Still nothing. 

      minhyuk oppa please??????????

      Nana was going to die of boredom. She placed the phone on the desk and she waited for a notifcation pop-up.

      The bell noise made her full of joy.

      we extended the interviews for tmrw. im coming up. i hope u didnt mess up my things.

      When Minhyuk entered his office, he found Nana waiting patiently behind the door. 

      "What did you want to do?" he asked her. 

      "I want you to take me somewhere," she said, swaying back and forth as she hung onto his arm.

      Minhyuk walked over to his desk to get his car keys.

      "Where to?"

      

      "Hey, Sunbae," Suzy answered her phone. 

      "The interviews got extended to tomorrow," Woobin said, "Did you go today?"

      Suzy thought about how to answer.

      "Suzy?" 

      "I actually..." Suzy paused. 

      Woobin had been so excited for her. 

      "Suzy, are you okay?" his voice was full of concern. 

      Suzy bent down, crouching towards the floor. 

      "Oh, sorry," she laughed forcefully, "I was little preoccupied."

      "I went today," Suzy replied, "But I don't think I made it."

      "Oh, come on," he said, "The results aren't even out yet."

      "Yeah, but you know how there are times your hunch is correct," Suzy stated. 

      "It's lunch break right now," Woobin said, "Let's go out for jajangmyun."

      Suzy shuffled her feet. 

      "I...don't really want jajangmyun."

      "Then eat jamppong," Woobin said teasingly, "Where are you? I'll drive you there."

      Suzy looked up back at YinGwan.

      "I'm actually pretty far already," she lied, "I know what place you're talking about. I'm just gonna take the bus."

      "You sure?" Woobin asked her.

      Suzy took one last longing glance at YinGwan.

      "Sunbae," she took a deep sigh and pulled a strand of hair behind her ear, "I'm sure."

      "Suzy," he said in a serious tone.

      Suzy purposely held her phone far away from her face. 

      "Sunbae, I can't really hear you!" she feigned, "Your voice is getting too—"

      "How do you expect to talk to anyone like that?"

      Suzy turned around and gasped, dropping her phone.

      Woobin ended the call and placed his phone back into his pocket. 

      "What are you doing?"

      Suzy bent down to retrieve her phone, but Woobin's hand got to it first.

      Woobin blew off the debris on the screen. Suzy walked over and placed both hands on one shoulder, standing on her toes to see if her phone screen was ruined.

      "It's just a scratch," Woobin said and handed it to her.

      Suzy quickly took back her phone.

      "You still wanna take the bus?" Woobin asked her jokingly. 

      Suzy shook her head no. 

      "Come on," Woobin laughed and put his arm around her, "I told you I was hungry."

      Once in the car, Woobin started to engine. 

      "Choolbal! (Let's go!)" Suzy exclaimed. 

      It was best to just forget everything that had happened.

      "You are a baby," Woobin said.

      He leaned over to reach for her seatbelt. 

      "I can do—" but Suzy's voice stopped as she realized Woobin's face was only an inch away from hers. 

      "Can do what?" Woobin smiled as he reclined back to his seat.

      "N—Nothing," she replied, turning to face the opposite direction, "Just...drive."

      "Ah, do you remember that place?" Woobin said as he exited the parking garage.

      "The restaurant we're going to now?" Suzy said.

      "Yep," he said.

      "That's where we first met," Suzy said quietly.

      Woobin patted her head.

      "You were so cute back then," he said nostalgically, "Such a cute freshmen."

      Suzy pushed his hand away.

      "You want to know what I thought of you?" she pouted, "A player. You and your friend were surrounded by what? Five other girls? And you were chugging down glasses of beer."

      "Well, I was living the life in college," Woobin winked.

      "I'm pretty sure you were dating one of them when I saw first saw you," Suzy added. 

      "Oh yeah!" Woobin chuckled, "The one you called Chicken."

      "Because!" Suzy smiled, "She reminded me of one!" 

      "Well, I broke up with her shortly after that," Woobin replied.

      "Really?" Suzy was surprised, "I was pretty sure you were going strong."

      Woobin slowly entered a parking lot. 

      "We're here."

      The restaurant was the spot the Suzy and Woobin always used to hang out with their separate college groups. Since graduating, the two still kept in contact with the lady owner. 

      "Ahjumma!" Woobin greeted loudly.

      The woman cleaning up a table dropped her towel and ran over to hug him.

      "Aigoo, Woobin-ah!"

      She turned to Suzy.

      "Ah! You even more beautiful!"

      "Ahjumma," Suzy said warmly, "Things have been going well?"

      "Of course!" the owner answered, "And here! The table you guys always eat at is empty. Come!" 

      "The usual?" the owner assumed as she wrote down the order.

      "Suzy said she wanted jamppong, today," Woobin corrected.

      "No!" Suzy said quickly.

      "Before you said you didn't—"

      "I changed my mind!" she stuck her tongue out at him. 

      "Okay, okay, then," Woobin accepted. 

      "It'll be out in ten...fifteen minutes?"

      The two customers nodded.     

      "This isn't a fancy place," Minhyuk complained as Nana pulled him out of the car. 

      "Oppa," Nana gave him the puppy face, "I like it."

      Minhyuk gave in. 

      "Plus, I'm not from a super high class family like you," Nana said, "For me, as long as the place is good, it's suitable."

      "Fine, we'll see."

      "Emo!" Nana raised her hand in the air as they entered the restaurant.

      A lady came over to greet them.

      "I brought my boyfriend!" Nana exclaimed, "Can we have the table I asked for?"

      The lady lost her smile.

      "Nana-yah," she said, "I didn't know you were stopping by today, so that table is occupied right now."

      "Emo!" Nana whined, "Who are they that they came before me?"

      "I've known them for a while," the lady tried to explain.

      Minhyuk alleviated the situation.

      "Please, any table is fine."

      "Oppa!"

      Minhyuk gestured for the lady to set up a table. 

      "Weren't you the one who said any place was fine as long as the food was good?" he mocked. 

      "Over here!" the lady called. 

      "This table isn't the one you wanted, but it's right next to it."

      Nana slouched in her chair. 

      "Oppa, I'm sad."

      But Minhyuk was busy checking his email with his phone. 

      "Oppa!" 

      Minhyuk looked up.

      "Sorry, I have to go check something. It's work."

      "Sunbae, I'll be right back. Bathroom."

      Minhyuk stopped what he was doing. 

      That voice. 

      Hey. HEY!

      The same one from before. 

      Minhyuk stood up.

      The owner of the voice also stood up at the same time. 

      "Excuse me," she said as she walked past. 

      "You? It's you isn't it?" Nana suddenly shouted. 

      "President!" 

      Minhyuk faced Woobin.

      "Kim Woobin? What are you—"

      "Sunbae? Who are you talking—Oh my..."

      Nana got up from her chair. 

      "It's you, isn't it? The one who ruined my lunch!"

      Woobin walked over to Suzy.

      "Suzy?"

      Suzy's face flushed red. 

      The worst possible situation had happened.