Prologue/Chapter One

The Star that Lights the Way

Joseon, 1830

 

A man sat across from a woman. They were in a small room, lit with many candles too keep out the darkness. Between them, there was a small wooden table, covered with snacks and two teacups, along with a pot of tea. The woman, dressed in an elaborate hangbok with her hair meticulously styled, poured the man, who had a crown on the top of his head and was wearing the bright red robes of a King, more tea.
"Your Highness," she said softly, her lips, which had grown dry from nervousness. "Why have you called for me, tonight?"
The King silently picked up his cup and took a sip from it, after setting it down, he still did not utter a word. His face was emotionless, but his eyes told all. Anger, hurt, suspicion and betrayal swirled in his dark brown eyes.
"Are the rumours true?"
The woman stared at her King, not quite understanding his question.
"Pardon me?" she asked, bowing her head slightly, unnerved by his cold eyes.
"Are they true?" he repeated the question, glaring at her forcefully. The woman could feel his eyes pierce through her and she did not lift up her head. She offered no reply.
"Is it true that you are some other spirit trapped in the body of my most beloved Queen?" he demanded, his voice filled with rage and power. Still, the woman did not lift her head.
"...I am sorry," was her reply, filled with sorrow and sadness. "However, if you let me explain-"
"Is anyone out there?!" the King yelled out. Immediately, the doors opened, and the head eunuch ran in.
"Did you call for me, my lord?" the eunuch asked, bowing to his King and Queen. The King stood up, quivering with rage.
"Call the guards and drag her," he pointed at the cowering body of the woman, "out of here and into the prison!" The woman and the eunuch looked up at the King in shock and, on the woman's part, despair.
"But, my Lord," the eunuch started saying, taken aback by the order.
"NOW!" the King roared. The head eunuch scurried out to bring the guards as the woman threw herself at the King's feet.
"Please, my King," she cried, the tears forming at her eyes and sliding down her cheeks. "Please, just listen to me once! It is true that I am not the Queen, however-"
The doors opened once again, and the palace guards walking through, immediately picking the girl up from the floor and they began pulling her away, towards the doors.
"Your Highness! Your Highness! Please! Listen to me just once! There is an explanation for this, I promise! Please! PLEASE!" the woman screamed as she was dragged out of the room. The doors shut and the room was filled with silence once again. The King stared at the door, eyes wavering as the tears formed in his eyes. Even though the woman, while in his wife's body, wasn't his wife....
Why did it hurt so bad?

 


Seoul, 2013
 

The shrill sound of an alarm was silenced with a quick slap of a hand. The owner to said hand (and said alarm clock) slowly sat up, running her hands miserably through her messy, knotted hair. Her head was down, eyes still closed, and she sighed.
Another day....
Who is that woman, you ask? Well, that's me. Kim Hae Jin. A twenty-six-year-old single woman who was unhappy with her current status in life. No boyfriend, a job as a nurse that I never really wanted.... The only bright side I had in life was probably the fact that I had gotten an oktapbang, a rooftop room, right after moving back to Seoul after studying overseas in Canada. But other than that one little thing, things weren't working out that greatly for me in Korea. Mostly because of my job.
Speaking of which....
I quickly changed out of my pyjamas, brushed all the knots out of my wavy brown hair, brushed my teeth, showered, and slapped some makeup on. Not necessarily in that order, of course. I ran as fast as I could in my heeled oxfords to the bus station just a few minutes from my place. The bus drove away as soon as I got there.
"Ahjussi!" I yelled at the bus, which was getting further and further away from me. I ran after it until the end of the street, even though I knew it was useless. I sighed as I stopped running. Checking my phone for the time, I let out another big sigh. I was officially late. Again.
"Aish. This is the third time this week," I swore under my breath. I scanned the street for any taxis, but there were none. In my hand, my phone buzzed. I checked the caller ID. It was my best friend and co-worker, Ji Min.
"Unni," I said.
"Yah, Kim Hae Jin! Where are you?" she demanded through the phone.
"I...I'm...almost there," I lied, but then I silently scolded myself. I was not anywhere near my workplace. Ji Min unni was silent on the other end.
"No you're not," she said. I froze. How has she caught on so quickly? I thought I could fool her for a little while....
"How did you know?" I asked sheepishly. She sighed.
"Don't bother coming to work today," she told me. "I’ll cover for you." I bit my lip. This wasn’t the first time she had covered for me, and I felt bad.
"Really? Are you sure?” I asked, worried.
"Yeah,," she reassured me. “I know you’ve been working overtime for the past few days, and you deserve some sleep. I’ll talk to Dr. Song.”
"And you think Dr. Song will agree?" I asked, incredulous, thinking back to my boss. "We’re thinking of the same Dr. Song, right?"
"Well, you’ll be surprised,” she said in a sly tone of voice. “I think he’ll let you off the hook.”
I stood there, confused. Why would he let me off the hook?
“What do you mean by that?” I demanded.

She just gave a little chuckle as she said, “Nothing.”

I wasn’t convinced, but I looked forward to going back to my warm bed that I didn’t question her again. “Okay. Well, thank you so much, unni. I owe you one. I’m going to go back to my house and sleep now.”
"Alright, lazy. Have fun. I'll talk to you soon," she said, teasingly.
"Bye."
"Bye."
I hung up. “You’ll be surprised. I think he’ll let you off the hook.”
Those words kept on repeating in my head. But why? Why would he?
I frowned.
Why did I feel...happy...as I heard those words over and over again in my head? Even though I had no idea what those words implied…. Or did I?
I shook my head absentmindedly. It must be from lack of sleep.
I turned around and headed home.

 

~*~
 

I stood in the middle of a white space, wearing a white hangbok style dress. I turned around and around in the empty space of white. What am I doing here?
"Fate has been disturbed," a voice said from behind me. I gasped in shock and surprise as I swung around to face the voice. A woman stood in front of me, wearing the same hangbok as I, but different.
It was stained with blood.
My eyes grew wide and my skin pale, but before I could open my mouth to scream, she place a hand over my mouth, making my entire body freeze.
"Do not be afraid, child," she whispered. "I am here to make things right." I continued to stare at her in fear. Who are you?
"I am Everything, and yet, I am Nothing," she said, as if she heard my mental question."I do not matter, it does not matter who I am. However. You. You are special. You are the key in making things right again." She took her hand off my mouth and, thankfully, stepped away from me.
"What are you talking about?" I demanded. "What fate?"
"An event in the past has been altered with, and it has affected the events of the future," the lady replied ominously. "You are the only one who can restore destiny."
I had to admit, I was curious. "But how?"
"You must protect him," she told me. "Protect your other half. Both the past self and his present." Something in that sentence made my mood sour.
"My other half?" I asked. "Who? Because last time I checked, I had no 'other half'." She just smirked at me.
"I shall show him to you."
Suddenly, the whiteness of the space changed, and suddenly we were in a hospital room. I heard the faint 'beep, beep, beep' of the heart rate machine and turned towards that sound. There was a person lying in bed, hooking to multiple machines, sleeping in a tranquil state. I was curious as to who it was so I stepped closer and closer until I saw them. What I saw made my breath catch in my chest.
The person lying in that hospital bed was a handsome young man, who looked to be only a few years older than me. His head was wrapped in a bandage and his hands were folded over his stomach, like a typical coma patient seen in dramas and movies. But as I peered closer at his face, I felt a sense of recognition. I had seen that face all over the news and on billboards.

Kim Soo Hyun, the successful, young CEO of KSH company.
"That is your other half."

...What?


*EDIT: Hi! I just changed some aspects of the story so the story can flow a bit better. Chapter two will be up soon!

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Hello! This is my second fanfic on this site, but my first about Kim Soo Hyun. I have recently started watching "The Moon That Embraces The Sun" (I know, I'm a little late), and I have become kind of obsessed with KSH and this idea struck me. This story, while inspired by "TMTETS", is also inspired by "Rooftop Prince", another favourite drama of mine. I honestly don't know where this story will go, since I just randomly started writing on my iPad while watching the drama at 1:30 am :), but we'll see where it goes. I really hope that you will stick with me, Soo Hyun, and Hae Jin during this ride ^^
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE/UPVOTE/BOOKMARK/COMMENT! It's nice to know when people read your stuff and it makes me write faster!